• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Earthbound has now gotten Onett, Fourside and Magicant, 3 in total to get an idea, but Melee's idea was balanced enough, two per game works. That's not to say said game shouldn't eventually get 3 like Earthbound, especially if its critically acclaimed. And has vast stage potential. 🙂
I think a few pedants would say magicant comes from mother 1 due to the way it looks but I suppose as a reoccurring location it counts for both

also oot has 2 so 1 to go

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I really dislike the Infinite DLC picks so far but that might just be because I only play like four game series, none of which are probably getting a DLC slot
At least Sol introduced me to Guilty Gear music and the Lara Croft stage round was fun, other than that it's just kinda repetitive because if a character you're not a fan of wins then you're basically screwed for a week.
Hurts much less in something like Mario Smash where character-specific content lasts a day at the absolute most and isn't the only thing going on.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think Sonics Brawl Moveset was Fine Everyone is Going on and on about how hes Just a Ball in it but come on Sonic Attacks Mostly As A ball in all of his Games!
(Although his Side special should have been chaged into the Boost)
I liked the Uniform Zelda (main) Characters from Meele to Smash 4! Although if i would get the Rains Link, Zelda and Ganondorf would be Based on Their Toon Versions! Shiek would be Replaced by Impa (from SS) And Adult Link would be classiefied as Adult Link!

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I think Sonics Brawl Moveset was Fine Everyone is Going on and on about how hes Just a Ball in it but come on Sonic Attacks Mostly As A ball in all of his Games!
(Although his Side special should have been chaged into the Boost)
I definitely feel like the issue with sonic in smash isn’t really his moveset itself (minus the side special) but just the total lack of personality in his attacks and taunts.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I LOVE the idea of Smash cutting a majority of it's 1P roster + Banjo to become a true celebration of gaming history, but it's also an objectively terrible idea and not something I have any remote trust in the Smash team to properly fulfil even if they wanted to.

Sonic's design in Smash should be the classic design, it feels kinda weird to represent such an influential series in a way that doesn't revolve around his objectively best-by-a-landslide (or at the very least most influental) games.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Whiney, I know. But the day Sakurai/Nintendo allowed third parties is the day it made Smash into an impossible pleaser. I just can't help but to wonder what Smash would be like if it was STRICTLY still Nintendo only. A wonderful dream.
I mean, it was an interesting novelty in Brawl's heyday. I think they could've left it at a certain amount of third parties with various connections to the identity of Smash's publishers and it would've stayed tolerable.

And to be fair, that was basically what Smash 4 did in its base game, which few people had a problem with. But the moment they said third-parties were viable DLC candidates in the ballot was probably the point of no return, which led to the out-of-control spiral that Cloud introduced.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Whiney, I know. But the day Sakurai/Nintendo allowed third parties is the day it made Smash into an impossible pleaser. I just can't help but to wonder what Smash would be like if it was STRICTLY still Nintendo only. A wonderful dream.
i wonder that myself sometimes and i like several of the 3rd parties. id certainly feel more hopeful for chibi

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
what do you mean by better crossover?
PSASBR features heavy characters interactions - specifically in fully voiced rival battle cutscenes, of which there are two for each rivalry - one for each perspective. The stages in PSASBR are also based on two game series instead of one (for example, Killzone robots ravaging PaRappa the Rapper's hometown or Sly Cooper's thief gang raiding the Uncharted plane)

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
PSASBR features heavy characters interactions - specifically in fully voiced rival battle cutscenes, of which there are two for each rivalry - one for each perspective. The stages in PSASBR are also based on two game series instead of one (for example, Killzone robots ravaging PaRappa the Rapper's hometown or Sly Cooper's thief gang raiding the Uncharted plane)
Interesting. I think I prefer the idea of one stage = one game/serie, but it makes you think. Also, yeah, absolutely zero interaction between the characters is a shame - asides from Wolf and Fox's final smash, and they're from the same games...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
and can you be sure that’s what they meant?

Laniv

Smash Champion
what do you mean by better crossover?
What I mean is, PlayStation All-Stars has plenty more interaction between the characters outside of fighting. It has things like Sweet Tooth challenging Kratos because the latter knocked over his ice cream, Parappa defending a Pipo Monkey from Spike, the Little Sister from BioShock wanting to play with Sackboy, and Drake stealing pages of the Thievius Raccoonius from Sly Cooper, prompting him to give chase. Even in the opening sequence, we have a scene about Little Sister and Sackboy, plus a moment where Sir Daniel rescues Fat Princess from Evil Cole:

Compared to Smash Bros., you only really see things like that in the reveal trailers, while in-game, they don't really talk or interact with each other at all outside of Palutena's Guidance.

Outside of the character interactions, the stages are all themed after one universe "invading" another one, like a battleground from Killzone being bombarded by Pipo Monkeys, or Hades being felled by the plucky Patapon Warriors. I'll admit, seeing the Killzone robots march on Parappa's hometown and get defeated by Chop Chop Master Onion can get distracting or even stale, but it does sell the crossover aspect of the game.

... Basically, what Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario said.

I'm sorry if this got too long, I'm just really quick to defend PlayStation All-Stars because that game had a lot of good ideas, dangit. >:T

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
What I mean is, PlayStation All-Stars has plenty more interaction between the characters outside of fighting. It has things like Sweet Tooth challenging Kratos because the latter knocked over his ice cream, Parappa defending a Pipo Monkey from Spike, the Little Sister from BioShock wanting to play with Sackboy, and Drake stealing pages of the Thievius Raccoonius from Sly Cooper, prompting him to give chase. Even in the opening sequence, we have a scene about Little Sister and Sackboy, plus a moment where Sir Daniel rescues Fat Princess from Evil Cole:

Compared to Smash Bros., you only really see things like that in the reveal trailers, while in-game, they don't really talk or interact with each other at all outside of Palutena's Guidance.

Outside of the character interactions, the stages are all themed after one universe "invading" another one, like a battleground from Killzone being bombarded by Pipo Monkeys, or Hades being felled by the plucky Patapon Warriors. I'll admit, seeing the Killzone robots march on Parappa's hometown and get defeated by Chop Chop Master Onion can get distracting or even stale, but it does sell the crossover aspect of the game.

I'm sorry if this got too long, I'm just really quick to defend PlayStation All-Stars because that game had a lot of good ideas, dangit. >:T
Stuff like this is exactly why I loved the SSE so much. It may not have had much in the way of enemies or locales from each series, but those unlikely alliances and little interactions between characters sell the crossover aspect of Smash better than anything else.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

so like lego dimensions minus daleks

UserKev

Smash Champion
To each their own. I personally think Smash handles the crossover masterfully well. Its a different concept. And creates a sense of unknown. I would admittedly like subtle interactions via taunts at the beginning of the match. I feel like it could get no better than how MK handles encounter chatter in terms of Smash interacting, small or witty exchanges. Anymore would easily turn Smash into some messy cinematic attempt.

Smash's core concept is meaningless play tag and silly anything goes. I don't want some reasonable rivalry in my Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ok, double post, but third parties would be the absolute WORST thing to happened to a Smash reboot. Smash rebooted should be a turning point for Sakurai. Like healthily rebuilding from scratch. Honestly, third party inclusion by this point would immortalize Ultimate, which is the real Smash killer.

Also, I absolutely hate the idea of a Smash Ultimate Deluxe.

Quillion

Smash Hero

PlayStation All-Stars's rivalries are kinda weird, though. I know part of it is due to having a small roster, but it's pretty limited. Also, rival interactions wouldn't work all that well in Smash since a ton of the playable cast are officially silent protagonists.

However, I think there's a solution to implementing character interactions that could work with Nintendo's brand of expressive silent pantomime:

The thing I want most for character interactions is special team victory animations IMO.

If you have two characters on a team that "make sense" together, like Mario and Luigi, Mario and Peach, Bowser and Jr., Link and Zelda(?), two Inklings, Chrom/Robin/Lucina, Pit and Palutena, Fox and Falco, etc., they will have a special victory pose where they can have their special interactions.

This is actually one of my most wanted "minor additions."

(?): Link and Zelda are a (?) because they might not even be from the same game in future installments.

I'd like to see that in Smash, but maybe as a single dedicated stage rather than all of the stages being dedicated to that.

I think it's pretty telling that everything about the game except the core gameplay is a good idea. Even then, a lot of the good ideas aren't executed as well as they could.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
as much as I like our KH stage I'm not fond of the way they did it. See I feel like it should have been either just Hollow Bastion or Dive to the Heart rather than the two together. That way you could have had either a tour stage where you actually land on parts of Hollow Bastion, like Delfino Plaza and Skyloft, instead of just floating around it. Or we could just fight on Dive to the Heart for the whole time rather than for a brief bit at the end.

I'm not really fond of stages where the actual location it's based on is just in the background

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
This isn't about Smash but it's about one of the characters

I think the pre-redesign for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is O.K.(Until the Chip and Dale Movie made him worse)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't care how iconic they are, I think Sonic, Mega Man and Pac Man are annoying characters, and it's one of the main reason I wasn't happy with their inclusion. Because I couldn't picture them in Smash as other than annoying, and here they are, in their full glory of irritability. Yes, by all means they "deserve" inclusion, I just wish they didn't

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I don't care how iconic they are, I think Sonic, Mega Man and Pac Man are annoying characters, and it's one of the main reason I wasn't happy with their inclusion. Because I couldn't picture them in Smash as other than annoying, and here they are, in their full glory of irritability. Yes, by all means they "deserve" inclusion, I just wish they didn't
What's annoying about them?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ngl, Sonic has become oversaturated. I feel like he's irrelevant. And definitely shouldn't be in a Smash reboot. To add, Sonic's whole theme doesn't compliment Smash all that well, he never actually properly blended in with the worlds. But Nintendo seems to try.

As much as Sonic is apart of my childhood, he will not be missed.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Come to think of it, while I've never taken ire towards these three characters, they all made me neutrally shrug at their inclusions. They're probably the most cookie cutter of all third-party inclusions, and that's not inherently a problem over the ones I hate, but it's perhaps indicative of how boring even the best of guests ended up being implemented.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What's annoying about them?
Their playstyle honestly. Sonic is extremely obnoxious and the other two are just projectile spammers. Mega Man has no real personality to speak of, and the personality of Sonic and Pac Man is just annoying. But I guess their iconic status just means they're staying around, and I kinda hate that.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Even as a huge Crash fan, COD or Warcraft deserve to be the Activision rep way more, same with Chief for Microsoft (who should've got in over Banjo really - hell, as a Rare rep I'd argue a SOT Pirate deserved it more.)

I love scrimblos, and I want as much of them in Smash as possible, but I really dislike how any company that owns one has their other library disregarded as "save them until we have the scrimblo", especially when that scrimblo has never actually been used as a mascot - like Rayman for example.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Regular Waddle Dee (Kirby echo) is more appealing and unique than Bandana Dee (spear)
Honestly, it kind of bugs me that people think Bandana Dee is the only option for Kirby.

In terms of broadly appealing to Kirby fans, Bandana Dee is actually one of the most volatile Kirby inclusions (behind Marx) largely due to his origin. I'm concerned that his beginnings as an opponent in the Megaton Punch minigame in Super Star may land him as nothing more than an adaptation of that role. I know that sounds paranoid, but that's basically what they did to the Marx boss in Ultimate. No connection to even Ultra, just an adaptation of Super Star.

But even beyond that, the requirement to complete the RtDL quartet, the reasoning often coined for his priority... seems a bit silly. If we go by the same logic of representing a game like that, we probably should also have gotten Blue Toad from 3D World. I don't consider that a total detriment, since I've always wanted Toad in Smash to some degree, but we've never gotten Toad, even though Rosalina, Bowser Junior and the plant have been added. Clearly Toad has something that doesn't make him required in the eyes of the developers, and I think Bandana Dee may not be exempt from this attribute.

And to clarify, the 3D World comparison has little to do with who got in. Kirby is undoubtedly stuck in this odd limbo where only a certain set of games get all the attention, contradictory to the recency bias of most ongoing series. But with that in mind, why is the safest choice the most popular choice to correct this? Do we really want to justify Kirby with the choice people expect? Yes, that's on point with the Smash 4 mentality, but the conditioning people were getting from those days was exactly why they were often second-guessing the Ultimate newcomers. Despite the previous comparison, most people don't vouch for Toad in the same volumes, and with understandable reason. I'd honestly be much more excited for a character not that expected but potentially solid in fundaments, and Kirby's lower profile cast has a decent amount of options for this. Bandana Dee not really withstanding.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Honestly, it kind of bugs me that people think Bandana Dee is the only option for Kirby.

In terms of broadly appealing to Kirby fans, Bandana Dee is actually one of the most volatile Kirby inclusions (behind Marx) largely due to his origin. I'm concerned that his beginnings as an opponent in the Megaton Punch minigame in Super Star may land him as nothing more than an adaptation of that role. I know that sounds paranoid, but that's basically what they did to the Marx boss in Ultimate. No connection to even Ultra, just an adaptation of Super Star.

But even beyond that, the requirement to complete the RtDL quartet, the reasoning often coined for his priority... seems a bit silly. If we go by the same logic of representing a game like that, we probably should also have gotten Blue Toad from 3D World. I don't consider that a total detriment, since I've always wanted Toad in Smash to some degree, but we've never gotten Toad, even though Rosalina, Bowser Junior and the plant have been added. Clearly Toad has something that doesn't make him required in the eyes of the developers, and I think Bandana Dee may not be exempt from this attribute.

And to clarify, the 3D World comparison has little to do with who got in. Kirby is undoubtedly stuck in this odd limbo where only a certain set of games get all the attention, contradictory to the recency bias of most ongoing series. But with that in mind, why is the safest choice the most popular choice to correct this? Do we really want to justify Kirby with the choice people expect? Yes, that's on point with the Smash 4 mentality, but the conditioning people were getting from those days was exactly why they were often second-guessing the Ultimate newcomers. Despite the previous comparison, most people don't vouch for Toad in the same volumes, and with understandable reason. I'd honestly be much more excited for a character not that expected but potentially solid in fundaments, and Kirby's lower profile cast has a decent amount of options for this. Bandana Dee not really withstanding.
I think you're confusing what people want and what they expect.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My problem with Geno isn't that he's irrelevant, but rather that he's an extremely boring character who just so happens to be the only irrelevant/obscure character people don't immediately disregard. Even within Mario one-offs, why him and not Stanley? the Diddy Kong Racers? Vivian? King Totomesu? Rudy the Clown? his own co-star in Mallow? Like, the "living puppet" concept is cool, but his personality; powers; and even design don't gel with me the way most other obscure Mario characters do.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My problem with Geno isn't that he's irrelevant, but rather that he's an extremely boring character who just so happens to be the only irrelevant/obscure character people don't immediately disregard. Even within Mario one-offs, why him and not Stanley? the Diddy Kong Racers? Vivian? King Totomesu? Rudy the Clown? his own co-star in Mallow? Like, the "living puppet" concept is cool, but his personality; powers; and even design don't gel with me the way most other obscure Mario characters do.
Most Geno fans I've interacted with also want Mallow to come back. I've also seen some fringe support for Vivian, but most people have given up on that considering how horribly mistreated Paper Mario is these days (not that SMRPG has it any better, I guess). Stanley and the DKR guys could be neat, but they'd probably be more of DK reps than Mario ones. I'll be real, I don't see how Rudy the Clown could work as a fighter and I had to look up who King Totomesu even is.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I think you're confusing what people want and what they expect.
You think that's true? I notice a higher rate of people expecting Bandana Dee over any other character in Kirby. To my knowledge, even Toad is outclassed these days by a lot of his fellow Mario candidates, yet Bandana Dee gets the most spotlight in his franchise.

Granted, that's all probably indicative of the higher popularity Mario traditionally has over Kirby. Another debatable topic.

D

Deleted member

Their playstyle honestly. Sonic is extremely obnoxious and the other two are just projectile spammers. Mega Man has no real personality to speak of, and the personality of Sonic and Pac Man is just annoying. But I guess their iconic status just means they're staying around, and I kinda hate that.
That applies to literally every 3rd party character to varying extent

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
You think that's true? I notice a higher rate of people expecting Bandana Dee over any other character in Kirby. To my knowledge, even Toad is outclassed these days by a lot of his fellow Mario candidates, yet Bandana Dee gets the most spotlight in his franchise.

Granted, that's all probably indicative of the higher popularity Mario traditionally has over Kirby. Another debatable topic.
I'm not a Kirby fan at all: the only Kirby game I have finished was... Kirby's Dream Land, on the Game Boy. So I might be wrong about what the Kirby fans want. But from what I read, I think they want Bandana Dee first, for several reasons, and some of those reasons, like him being recurrent, or being the unofficial fourth guy of the quartet, and so on, can also be seen as arguments in his favor, hence making him a "legitimate" candidate, perhaps likelier than other Kirby characters. But I might be wrong.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

what do you mean by outclassed? fan demand or game appearances?

Top Bottom