• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
I don't want a brand new smash. It's clear as day that Ultimate is basically the final smash, at least for Sakurai. Without Sakurai, smash just isn't smash. There's nothing that can top Ultimate for me, so why even try?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't want a brand new smash. It's clear as day that Ultimate is basically the final smash, at least for Sakurai. Without Sakurai, smash just isn't smash. There's nothing that can top Ultimate for me, so why even try?
I feel the exact opposite way, I don't want a new Smash unless it's handed over to a completely different development team - Smash still hasn't topped its second instalment and it's getting dust kicked in its face in terms of quality from pixel art kickstarters and shovelware cartoon games. Sakurai's arrogant views of his critics and treatment of this franchise as more meaningful than it is is holding it back big time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
they say that about every smash

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
I feel the exact opposite way, I don't want a new Smash unless it's handed over to a completely different development team - Smash still hasn't topped its second instalment and it's getting dust kicked in its face in terms of quality from pixel art kickstarters and shovelware cartoon games. Sakurai's arrogant views of his critics and treatment of this franchise as more meaningful than it is is holding it back big time.
Melee is unbalanced and way overrated. Marth's grab range is longer than Yoshi's. Saying Smash hasn't topped its second installment is a big claim, because it says to me that the games have been buggier/more unbalanced than Melee.

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
Also, I apologize if I come off as arrogant. I'm trying to share my point of view while completely respecting yours, thus keeping our arguments "civil".

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Melee is unbalanced and way overrated. Marth's grab range is longer than Yoshi's. Saying Smash hasn't topped its second installment is a big claim, because it says to me that the games have been buggier/more unbalanced than Melee.
Glitches are bad? Ever heard of a game called Space Invaders?

Anyway, balance is great and Ultimate did a good job with it - but it doesn't really mean much to me when you have Min Min with 5 identical moves or almost-fully-projectile-based Mega Man.

Like, Melee has flaws (G&W and Bowser, the aforementioned Marth grab range among other hitbox shenanigans) but the movement options; techniques; and balance within its top tiers makes up for it greatly IMO.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I love how formulaic Melee is. It was released just in time to rep Majora's Mask, 2nd gen of Pokemon, being my absolute favorite generation. And has my favorite retro Mario stages of all time. Melee just got everything right for me in terms of culturally Nintendo and it nails timeless nostalgia. That game truly is a wonderful masterpiece.

Melee is peak retro aesthetic.

Baysha

Smash Ace
I feel like besides Melee, people don't go back to past Smash games enough. And adding on to that, I feel like Smash games have focused too much on trying to one-up each other than trying to do their own thing. I don't want the next game to try and be "bigger", I want it to be different. If I prefer a previous game, I can just keep playing it.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel like besides Melee, people don't go back to past Smash games enough. And adding on to that, I feel like Smash games have focused too much on trying to one-up each other than trying to do their own thing. I don't want the next game to try and be "bigger", I want it to be different. If I prefer a previous game, I can just keep playing it.
This guy GETS IT. If you like Ultimate and the next Smash game doesn't do it for you, you can always just... keep playing Ultimate, y'know? This is exactly why I think the next Smash game needs to do something different, since even if they try it's not gonna one-up Ultimate in terms of pure "content" anyhow. It's either that or they just keep rereleasing Ultimate for the rest of time, which would ACTUALLY be terrible IMO.

UserKev

Smash Champion
This guy GETS IT. If you like Ultimate and the next Smash game doesn't do it for you, you can always just... keep playing Ultimate, y'know? This is exactly why I think the next Smash game needs to do something different, since even if they try it's not gonna one-up Ultimate in terms of pure "content" anyhow. It's either that or they just keep rereleasing Ultimate for the rest of time, which would ACTUALLY be terrible IMO.
This is why a reboot is heavily discussed if anything. I think its time for Final Smashes to be exchanged for regular Super moves. Final Smashes seriously need to go. Just giving the characters a super meter and unique knock away finishing moves with unique animations would be excellent. I know Little Mac has kind of used this gimmick, but it can still be re-mastered into every character. Just get rid of Final Smashes and called them Supers in exchange that reimagines the most iconic moves of the characters into one hit finishers. More quicker Final Smashes, but not Final Smashes. Just a spike.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This is why a reboot is heavily discussed if anything. I think its time for Final Smashes to be exchanged for regular Super moves. Final Smashes seriously need to go. Just giving the characters a super meter and unique knock away finishing moves with unique animations would be excellent. I know Little Mac has kind of used this gimmick, but it can still be re-mastered into every character. Just get rid of Final Smashes and called them Supers in exchange that reimagines the most iconic moves of the characters into one hit finishers. More quicker Final Smashes, but not Final Smashes. Just a spike.
One idea I like is every Final Smash being a stance change like Wario-Man and Giga Bowser. (At least as long as they can be damaged like their Project M versions)

A lot of transformations would have to be made up though, which I am all for.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
One idea I like is every Final Smash being a stance change like Wario-Man and Giga Bowser. (At least as long as they can be damaged like their Project M versions)

A lot of transformations would have to be made up though, which I am all for.
I miss transformational Final Smashes and I wish there were more of them (like Super Mega Man for example).

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
At the very least, I wish less Final Smashes were discount Blue Falcon clones with stingy hitboxes.
I personally hate the overuse of cinematic Final Smashes because they take time away from the fight. Some of them could have easily been made to take place on the stage.
These honestly sum up my thoughts on Ultimate’s Final Smashes. No disrespect to Sakurai, but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Its criminal that Sonic 2 didn't get a stage. It laid the ground marks for critically acclaimed Sonic games, Ultimate being the perfect opportunity. I agree that Chemical Plant would have been perfect. Everyone talks about City Escape, but Chemical Plant is way too memorable.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Its criminal that Sonic 2 didn't get a stage. It laid the ground marks for critically acclaimed Sonic games, Ultimate being the perfect opportunity. I agree that Chemical Plant would have been perfect. Everyone talks about City Escape, but Chemical Plant is way too memorable.
i will second this but for the slightly different reasoning that it was the game tails debuted in

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care much about who gets in pre-reveal. Most of the popular picks people want (Ex: Crash, Bandana Dee, Ashley) I'm just not pushing for. I only really start to get invested after the reveal has ended. That's what matters to me. Sorta explains why I preferred :ulthero: over everyone else in the pass. There wasn't much experience with these characters to get me hyped, so I had to judge them after they released. Hero introduced me to my #1 game on the Switch, had good music, a cool moveset, and a beautiful stage. I see new fighters not as a necessity, but a cool add-on to what's there. I'm more invested in stage and music additions.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't care one bit for FPS newcomers as Doom Guy and Master Chief and would rather have them out, I cannot imagine their play style being anything but overly campy, and I frankly don't think of the characters as anything special or noteworthy.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I frankly don't think of the characters as anything special or noteworthy.
I can see the “campy” part but nah this part is just straight up denying the importance of these games. I don’t like using this word unironically but halo and doom are objectively special and noteworthy in the videogame industry regardless on how you feel about them.
Apologies if this is too harsh, but it’s how I feel.

Last edited:

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I really do think they should make new smash games as different, perhaps outlandish to some. It would overall make the series so much more unique.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can see the “campy” part but nah this part is just straight up denying the importance of these games. I don’t like using this word unironically but halo and doom are objectively special and noteworthy in the videogame industry regardless on how you feel about them.
Apologies if this is too harsh, but it’s how I feel.
Unpopular opinion: I don't necessarily think they're that important to gaming, as I honestly think the huge FPS focus made gaming lose its magic, and turned the market around focusing too much on hyper photo realistic graphics over genuine unique and creative game ideas. And I blame EA the most for this, releasing the same games over and over again making a ****ton of money by mindless consumers who only buy it cause it's new, pretty and shiny.

And it's definitely not too harsh for me, as you can see, I'm quite outspoken about this as well. I also think, on top of it all, that the focus of these sort of hyper realistic gaming genres as FPS, sports and racing games where too much of a negative influence on Nintendo, suddenly, Nintendo had a more "kiddy" image then before, and it was the start of being belittled for being a fan.

Yeah now we have FPS games that mix fantasy themes well with the shooter aspect, but that's because they really had to come up with new stuff, cause you can only fire a gun that many ways of course.

In general, am just not interested in having them on the roster, but could maybe warm up to a character from say, Overwatch cause of the fantasy themes mixing way better with the overall theme of Smash and Nintendo than most other FPS franchises.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I also think, on top of it all, that the focus of these sort of hyper realistic gaming genres as FPS, sports and racing games where too much of a negative influence on Nintendo, suddenly, Nintendo had a more "kiddy" image then before, and it was the start of being belittled for being a fan.
high school in a nutshell

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Unpopular opinion: I don't necessarily think they're that important to gaming, as I honestly think the huge FPS focus made gaming lose its magic, and turned the market around focusing too much on hyper photo realistic graphics over genuine unique and creative game ideas. And I blame EA the most for this, releasing the same games over and over again making a ****ton of money by mindless consumers who only buy it cause it's new, pretty and shiny.

And it's definitely not too harsh for me, as you can see, I'm quite outspoken about this as well. I also think, on top of it all, that the focus of these sort of hyper realistic gaming genres as FPS, sports and racing games where too much of a negative influence on Nintendo, suddenly, Nintendo had a more "kiddy" image then before, and it was the start of being belittled for being a fan.

Yeah now we have FPS games that mix fantasy themes well with the shooter aspect, but that's because they really had to come up with new stuff, cause you can only fire a gun that many ways of course.

In general, am just not interested in having them on the roster, but could maybe warm up to a character from say, Overwatch cause of the fantasy themes mixing way better with the overall theme of Smash and Nintendo than most other FPS franchises.
I literally got bullied for this.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Let's be frank here, everyone calls them their "least wanted" but if Shrek and Goku got in Smash nobody would complain, or at the very least the positivity would drown out the negativity compared to other controversial Smash picks. I can't imagine a Byleth-level ratio happening for Shrek.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Let's be frank here, everyone calls them their "least wanted" but if Shrek and Goku got in Smash nobody would complain, or at the very least the positivity would drown out the negativity compared to other controversial Smash picks. I can't imagine a Byleth-level ratio happening for Shrek.
I think the ballot increases demand for them, even if said demand was ironic.

UserKev

Smash Champion

If both got in, would be a real turn off point for me. Not knocking their impact, but I would find their shooting gameplay style gimmick redundant. Samus, Duck Hunt, Snake and Mega Man already perfectly capture the shooter gimmick you could bring. Doom Guy and Chief would be literally fan service and probably nothing else.

Top Bottom