• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even Morshu?
But he'd be awesome. Mmmmmmmm~ Especially since the Zelda CD-i games were the first official Zelda game to have the title character, Zelda, be playable. Of course, it doesn't help that she was basically Link... which is common to not make her her own thing to begin with anyway. Hyrule Warriors fixed that a bit, and her Phantom Knight form is much more unique in that regard too. Smash is the only time she actually is anything like a spellcaster/psychic character, though, something the Zelda series has yet to do with her while being playable. Which is sad too, cause Wind Waker did a great job at having alternate characters who felt highly unique. Spirit Tracks still did a decent job at that, but you weren't directly playing as Zelda anyway, so it's still a letdown(and that's ignoring the cumbersome controls).

Also, if we were to add another Mii... just add another regular Mii. Mii Fighters are unique on their own, and having one based around something like Sports would make it stand out. Besides that, the regular Mii could be the only one to have Weight/Height options to further differentiate it. Maybe still have customized specials due to how variable sports are, but not having it is fine too.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Speaking of Zelda characters, anyone remember Vaati? I miss that guy, I wish he didn't fall off in popularity. Little dude's slowly been creeping up my most wanted Zelda character list

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Welp, since my favorite Zelda character came up in conversation, I'm gonna back up Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth and say that Morshu is my most wanted Zelda character for Smash, unironically. I have a lot of nostalgia with the character and I don't think that's invalid just because it was through YouTube Poops. I love his design and he would act as an items representative for the series, focusing on the weirder and wackier items like the Mole Mitts, the Spinner, stuff like that. And he's a cool one-off character which a lot of Zelda fans seem to want including myself.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't really see why liking a character for humour "delegitimises" them. How is finding Bubsy, Morshu or Waluigi funny any different from finding Ridley or Porky scary, or finding Bandana Waddle Dee or Isabelle cute? That's enjoying and appreciating a character, and nostalgia for JonTron/YouTube Poops/Brawl in the Family is still nostalgia, no way around it.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I don’t care how balanced the game is if it isn’t fun. Sure it is balanced that certain characters can beat rapid jabs but is it fun? Sure, it is balanced that Hero can use magic burst but is it fun? (Btw I find magic burst boring, it’s just a free kill or a wasted slot in the menu with almost no quirky or interesting situations stemming from it)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Welp, since my favorite Zelda character came up in conversation, I'm gonna back up Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth and say that Morshu is my most wanted Zelda character for Smash, ironically. I have a lot of nostalgia with the character and I don't think that's invalid just because it was through YouTube Poops. I love his design and he would act as an items representative for the series, focusing on the weirder and wackier items like the Mole Mitts, the Spinner, stuff like that. And he's a cool one-off character which a lot of Zelda fans seem to want including myself.
This guy gets it.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Its ok. Lenidem is actually a really chill dude.
Thanks.

Well, we disagree on the mook question. I think they have their place in Smash, but as assist trophies or stage hazards. Anyways, this is hardly the place for such a debate.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Male Byleth is better than female Byleth in every way. Including attractiveness.
Male Byleth co6 is the best one. Worst Byleth costume is Dimitri despite Claude not even having the right skin tone.

Also I am more scared of a default Byleth than any female alt. Mostly because the people I fight who use female byleth are usually bad and default byleths always manage to give me close games where I am terrified of even getting hit with nair.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If custom specials came back for Ultimate, I would make it two specials per character instead of three (sans the Miis) and rename them Alternate Specials. I’d also make them more like Mega Man’s customs; moves that are more faithful to the source material without drastically changing the characters’ animations.

Basically, something like what Delzethin sets out to do in the videos he made for reimagined custom specials. Here is each one.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
If custom specials came back for Ultimate, I would make it two specials per character instead of three (sans the Miis) and rename them Alternate Specials. I’d also make them more like Mega Man’s customs; moves that are more faithful to the source material without drastically changing the characters’ animations.

Basically, something like what Delzethin sets out to do in the videos he made for reimagined custom specials. Here is each one.
I can definitely see why they were cut. They weren't a hit with the competitive scene due to being wildly unbalanced, and I'm not sure that casual players loved them a lot either, since they were more time-consuming to unlock than they should have been. Casuals are probably going to put a notably smaller amount of time into the game. Perhaps the dev team also realized, sometime around Mewtwo's reveal (since he lacked any custom moves whatsoever) that, in order to keep custom moves, they would have to design them for around twice as many characters as base Smash 4. I mean, think about it: all the Smash 4 DLC, all the returning veterans, all the base Ultimate newcomers, and all the Ultimate DLC. That's an awful lot of work designing custom moves when the feature wasn't well-received to begin with. Additionally, once they realized Ultimate would have over 70 fighters (I'm aware it has over 80 but I'm assuming some uncertainty over wither FP 2 would be a thing), they may have realized that players would already have to learn over 70 matchups. Adding custom moves to the mix would only add even more to learn.

With all that considered, I think they made the right call in cutting custom moves. I think the time it takes them to make custom moves is better spent elsewhere. Though, I would be very intrigued if custom moves ever returned and were balanced enough to use competitively. The potential for mindgames by waiting to use your custom move so your opponent doesn't know what you have till you use it is an interesting one, though I'm uncertain as to whether it'd be a good thing.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can definitely see why they were cut. They weren't a hit with the competitive scene due to being wildly unbalanced, and I'm not sure that casual players loved them a lot either, since they were more time-consuming to unlock than they should have been. Casuals are probably going to put a notably smaller amount of time into the game. Perhaps the dev team also realized, sometime around Mewtwo's reveal (since he lacked any custom moves whatsoever) that, in order to keep custom moves, they would have to design them for around twice as many characters as base Smash 4. I mean, think about it: all the Smash 4 DLC, all the returning veterans, all the base Ultimate newcomers, and all the Ultimate DLC. That's an awful lot of work designing custom moves when the feature wasn't well-received to begin with. Additionally, once they realized Ultimate would have over 70 fighters (I'm aware it has over 80 but I'm assuming some uncertainty over wither FP 2 would be a thing), they may have realized that players would already have to learn over 70 natchups. Adding custom moves to the mix would only add even more to learn.

With all that considered, I think they made the right call in cutting custom moves. I think the time it takes them to make custom moves is better spent elsewhere. Though, I would be very intrigued if custom moves ever returned and were balanced enough to use competitively. The potential for mindgames by waiting to use your custom move so your opponent doesn't know what you have till you use it is an interesting one, though I'm uncertain as to whether it'd be a good thing.
I agree and don't agree at the same time. Custom moves should return when the roster is lesser characters, essential Smash reboot. They are without a doubt an interesting concept that deserves to be expanded. The feature deserves a 2nd chance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I say customs could've been the perfect template to make certain echoes different from their parents

Coughcough daisyanddarksamus coughcough
I'm not sure that's unpopular? XD

But yeah, that would've really helped.

Not sure it'd have helped if Shadow was a Sonic Echo, but I could imagine it working well for Metal Sonic as an Echo.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Subspace Emissary was stupid. Extremely tedious platforming split up by overly-serious near-humourless (unless you count "Diddy Kong danced!" or "Fox drank tea!" as humour) cutscenes that portrayed characters (or at least the ones I care about, can't speak for others) completely off and contradicts its own "all the trophies know is fighting" lore at every turn. Not having Professor Hector was probably the most damning sin, with full-evil child-murdering Wario a close second.

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice
I don't care at all about "speculation".
Huh, and I thought I was the only guy who didn’t care. In my opinion, it feels really boring and pointless. So many rules broken each time a new character releases. I feel like every time the community attempts to predict Sakurai’s mind, he just flips rules, established or made up, on their heads. Most of the reasonings I see I feel are just stretched in order to make someone’s most wanted feel above others.

That aside, just feel like we should stop arguing and trying to predict and just hope for and respect one another’s wishes. Would make for a much more pleasant community.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Subspace Emissary was stupid. Extremely tedious platforming split up by overly-serious near-humourless (unless you count "Diddy Kong danced!" or "Fox drank tea!" as humour) cutscenes that portrayed characters (or at least the ones I care about, can't speak for others) completely off and contradicts its own "all the trophies know is fighting" lore at every turn. Not having Professor Hector was probably the most damning sin, with full-evil child-murdering Wario a close second.
well in fairness smash is basically sakurai's fan fic

Lenidem

Smash Lord
To clarify what I meant by "I don't care about speculation", I mean that speculating about the next new characters is not what gets me interested in Smash. Of course, I'm always intrigued and I try to guess like everyone else. But in the end, what really matters to me is the final roster, the game as I can play it, not the time thinking about it before its release. Sometimes, I read comments like "this character is too predictable" or "this character would break so many rules that speculation would become exciting again", and I really don't get it. The guessing game is not even close to the real game to me.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I know i'm basically 10 years behind the times but I just think there's too many third party characters. Like yeah, I get it, seeing all these different companies collide is awesome, I like it too, but i'm mostly a Nintendo fan first and foremost, i'm more excited to see obscure NES era characters than I am Sephiroth or Sora. (There's still third parties I wanted like Phoenix or Ryu Hayabusa tho)

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers were a terrible choice for a character. Extremely few people remembered their game, which I've heard wasn't very good. Game & Watch also fills the role of retro rep better. Dr. Mario was also a terrible choice for a character. I feel like we would have been better off if these two hadn't been added. Maybe that time could have been spent making Toad a playable character instead. Or, at the very least, fixing Game & Watch's glaring issues (shield not covering his body and most of his aerials not L-canceling) and de-cloning Ganondorf.
I wouldn’t call them terrible, as there are far worse choices out there IMO, but I kinda agree with this, especially since Pit, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Little Mac were more recognisable and any of them could’ve been added earlier.

Also agreed with Doc, even if I like playing as him more than regular Mario. I would’ve preferred Daisy as a Peach clone or, heck, they could’ve added Toad here as a Mario clone.
Not having Professor Hector was probably the most damning sin, with full-evil child-murdering Wario a close second.
I agree with your point about Wario, I would’ve had him join the heroes, but, while I know this is an unpopular opinions thread, I don’t really see how Professor Layton’s absence is that bad. He’s nowhere to be seen in the game and I don’t see how it would benefit the story with lore that was set up. I’m not trying to be mean, I just don’t see how it would work.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Huh, and I thought I was the only guy who didn’t care. In my opinion, it feels really boring and pointless. So many rules broken each time a new character releases. I feel like every time the community attempts to predict Sakurai’s mind, he just flips rules, established or made up, on their heads. Most of the reasonings I see I feel are just stretched in order to make someone’s most wanted feel above others.

That aside, just feel like we should stop arguing and trying to predict and just hope for and respect one another’s wishes. Would make for a much more pleasant community.
Anytime anybody gives you a rule about who can or can't be in Smash, you need to ignore them. Nintendo doesn't pay attention to fan-rules and neither should anybody else.

The only rule that holds any kind of weight at all is "Characters have to be from a videogame" and even that one has exceptions.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I know i'm basically 10 years behind the times but I just think there's too many third party characters. Like yeah, I get it, seeing all these different companies collide is awesome, I like it too, but i'm mostly a Nintendo fan first and foremost, i'm more excited to see obscure NES era characters than I am Sephiroth or Sora. (There's still third parties I wanted like Phoenix or Ryu Hayabusa tho)
To me the entire appeal of crossovers is being introduced to obscure as **** characters from before I was born. That was the sole reason I played Smash as a kid - for the Mr. Game & Watches and ROBs, not for the Warios and Yoshies I already knew and admired - so seeing Smash shift solely to pandering and promoting rather than digging up deep cuts is a little depressing, especially when 3rd parties could open up a whole new world of obscure characters. Give me Ristar and Dynamite Headdy, not Bayonetta and Joker!

Oddball

Smash Lord
I can't understand why anyone wants Shadow as playable before Tails is.

(This isn't the cue for anybody to try to explain it. I've had people try to explain it. It still doesn't make sense to me.)

To me, if feels like asking for Wario before you get Bowser and Luigi.

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice

(This isn't the cue for anybody to try to explain it. I've had people try to explain it. It still doesn't make sense to me.)

...IMO, add Peach to that list, too. Her, Mario, and Bowser are basically what make up almost every Mario game. I’d argue she’s more representative of the series’s core themes than Luigi.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd take Shadow before Tails too. Echo or otherwise. It helps that one I just enjoy more as a character. Tails is great, but I don't think the hierarchy of characters should matter that much at this point. That, and they're Guests. They don't appear to be really that similar to 1st party(2nd party too) franchises. Sephiroth showed that too, as he wasn't the obvious character you'd expect for a second FF(VII or otherwise) character earlier. Or at least the most common one.

Edited to remove my original reply, since I missed a small part of it.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

For what it's worth, the main reason I've seen is because Shadow as an Echo of Sonic makes too much sense, to the point where many were genuinely surprised it didn't happen. Yeah, characters like Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman deserve it more, but Shadow is arguably the easiest to work with.

I'm sorry if this came off as me trying to explain it when you said not to, I was just trying to offer my own perspective. And considering my choice for a new Sonic rep is Silver, my opinion probably doesn't matter here...

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Shadow is the second most popular Sonic character if memory serves, and makes the most sense as an echo/semiclone of Sonic. You'd have to change a lot more about Sonic's proportions and kit to add Tails, Knuckles, or Amy. While it wouldn't be my ideal moveset for Shadow, he'd work fine enough with Chaos Control as a new down special (which would be a reskinned Witch Time, to further increase the ease of adding him) and maybe slight stat tweaks to movement and damage if they're feeling spicy. Basically the Chrom to Sonic's Roy. Since a lot of base game characters get added because they're easier to implement due to them being echoes or semi-clones, I'd argue the logic behind Shadow being a popular want is sound. His popularity stuck around, because the idea of an echo pass caught on as something that'd be neat to get while Nintendo would likely make a lot of profit due to not having to negotiate and spend a ton to get the characters.

My most wanted Sonic newcomer is Eggman, but I understand the case made for Shadow.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly while we're on the topic of Sonic, Eggman doesn't feel necessary. To me at least and I feel like this goes without saying for a growing minority. Eggman has become requested simply to fill the villain niche more than anything rather than being iconic. Either war, you really couldn't go wrong with boss or Assist trophy Eggman. I feel like Tails also suffers with this. Their extremely recurring, but don't really bring anything other than a typical niche. I know this is a contradictory argument, but it really says a lot in my head. Some characters are just more refreshing and some just feel really overdone.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
• Waluigi doesn’t deserve to be playable in Smash until he starts playing a more substantial role in the main series. To be fair, I don’t think :ultpiranha: deserved it either. That should have been Toad.
• When it comes to :ultsonic:, I don’t think Shadow deserves to be playable ahead of Tails, Knuckles, or Robotnik.
• I wish :ultmario: still had his original Down B. He was always the:ultryu: of Smash.
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:… that’s all the Zelda representation we really need. Just give Link/Zelda/Ganondorf skins from various games (Ocarina/Twilight Princess/Breath of the Wild /A Link to the Past).
:ultmarth: and :ultrobin::ultrobinf: are by far the most essential Fire Emblem characters. Marth is the OG and Robin best represents the game that saved the series. (Since Robin is a main character but has a more original fighting style than Chrom and Lucina.)
Eliwood and Hector lowkey deserve to be playable more than :ultroy: does.
• Crono would be the sickest addition to Smash… but realistically I can see why he’s not in. As good as Chrono Trigger is, games like Minecraft and Kingdom Hearts are way more relevant and marketable in todays current gaming climate. (Nothing against :ultsora:or :ultsteve: getting in, of course.)
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight: are all the Kirby representation we need.
:ultkingdedede: should have been playable in Melee. I almost want to say that he should have made it in over :ulticeclimbers:.
• Terra and Cecil deserve to be playable just as much as :ultcloud: does.
• with a handful of rare exceptions, virtually every first-party Nintendo character worth having in Smash is already in by this point.
• Brawl was my least favorite game in the series. The soundtrack was excellent, and I liked the newcomers, but the gameplay was a step back from Melee IMO. 4 (before :ultbayonetta:and:ultcloud:) and Ultimate were improvements.

I’m a smash 64 boomer, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. lol

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Spam
But I have to be civil about this.
Opinon
Bye! Later!

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

I think it's because there was a brief period where Shadow was considered the number two Sonic sidekick and not Tails - and that period just so happened to start when Melee came out and end when Brawl came out, so pretty much the entirety of Sonic-related Smash speculation.

Top Bottom