• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top ten at Apex 2013 predictions.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Can someone clarify something for me. It seems like most people here believe Mango will beat Armada, but it appears that Armada has done better and better against Mango as time has gone on. For this reason, it seemed likely to me that Armada would win. Can someone explain to me what are the factors that people here are considering that make them believe that Mango will win this time?

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Okay, yes I did consider that factor. haha But I wanted to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they were seeing some deeper strategy thingy since I am pretty trash at this game.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
Also, I guess we've seen a lot of videos of Mango running over big US tournaments during the last months, whereas we haven't seen Armada in big tournaments since... Well, since Reunion Grande I think?

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Mango has won what, 6 or 7 tourneys straight? He went from losing to Hbox at Apex 3 games to 1 to beating him the next three times including one 3-0 set at Big House 2. Like Biglard said, last time most people saw Armada play was at Smasher's Reunion and PPMD took a set off him there. All this combined with the fact that Mango is from the USA means lots of people are cheering for him.

That being said, Unknown will find the perfect controller in the next few months and go undefeated at apex 2013.

machinegungeek

Smash Apprentice
And Mango has been cleaning up pretty dramatically in the US ever since his Apex loss. And he looks super serious. And his fox has gotten a lot more consistent than it was back at Genesis on top of being more laser happy. Just watch those Big House 2 matches vs. HBox that have just gone up. That looks like a man on a mission.

It's still 50/50 in my book though. They played close at Genesis 2 and Mango was off during Apex. And Armada did drop a set to PP. I could see either Mango or PP beating him. Still give him 50% odds to win it all though. (Yeah, this means I'm giving PP near zero odds vs. Mango. They've been getting closer, so I could be so wrong here)

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Armada just win a big tournament in Europe a few weeks ago without losing a single match?
I didn't pay a lot of attention to the uploads of the last weeks, except for Big House 2, so if you're right I'd be interested to know if any matches were uploaded and if yes on which channel.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
I can't remember the name of the tournament, but this year (I think during the summer, early June perhaps?) there was a tournament in France where Armada indeed didn't lose a single game, and only the French Samus Cyr took three stocks from Armada in a single game. He played Ice in GF's and Fuzzyness in WF's, I think.

(also proud inventor of the Volvo nickname for Volvagia)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Didn't Armada just win a big tournament in Europe a few weeks ago without losing a single match?
King Funk's Castle II, I believe. Was just a few weeks ago.

People forget that Europe simply doesn't have the volume of players that the US does, and so there aren't going to be as many tournaments coming from them. That doesn't mean that Armada suddenly isn't dominating.

Beat!

Smash Master
I can't remember the name of the tournament, but this year (I think during the summer, early June perhaps?) there was a tournament in France where Armada indeed didn't lose a single game, and only the French Samus Cyr took three stocks from Armada in a single game. He played Ice in GF's and Fuzzyness in WF's, I think.

(also proud inventor of the Volvo nickname for Volvagia)
While true, the tournament Axe was referring to is KFC II in Denmark (as Shroudedone has already pointed out).

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"Can someone clarify something for me. It seems like most people here believe Mango will beat Armada, but it appears that Armada has done better and better against Mango as time has gone on. For this reason, it seemed likely to me that Armada would win. Can someone explain to me what are the factors that people here are considering that make them believe that Mango will win this time?"

it's not that people think mango will win over armada..it's that people like me who think that armada will win have no motivation to post in this thread. My view on top 10 isn't going to be that original, so it's not worth posting. I'm sure lots of other people who favor armada in position 1 also feel no reason to post in this thread

Bones0

Smash Legend
it's not that people think mango will win over armada..it's that people like me who think that armada will win have no motivation to post in this thread. My view on top 10 isn't going to be that original, so it's not worth posting. I'm sure lots of other people who favor armada in position 1 also feel no reason to post in this thread
Haha KP, I love how you immediately question correlation vs. causation. I love pointing those fallacies out to people. That being said, I don't think it's really the case here (though I'm sure Mango's popularity to win is a little inflated, just not entirely). Most people are saying Mango will beat Armada because:

1. Mango's the people's champs, and he probably has more fanboys than any other Smash player in history, and

2. Like Han Solo pointed out, Mango has obviously been "trying" harder since Apex. I'm not trying to john for Mango's losses at the last Apex, but it was known prior to the tournament that he hadn't even touched the game for months at a time, and it showed in his play being sloppy (not just him getting outplayed all the time, but him getting CCed dsmashed a bunch, etc). I also think his sets vs. Hbox at Apex vs. The Big House are quite telling of how much more seriously he is taking this. If you consider that Genesis was pretty close, Mango's Fox has gotten way better, and Mango's head seems to be in the right mentality, then him winning doesn't seem very far fetched to me.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Ice is likely going? Add him to my list of Axe and Javi for people that I'm rooting hard for.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Predictions of my heart:

1. PPMD

2. Wobbles

3. Taj

4. Mango

5. Axe

5. Kage

7. Chillin

7. MacD

33. Europe

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i am sure there are lots of people who think like that bones..but i also am pretty sure i'm not the only one who hasn't posted who thinks armada will win again. Whether people think armada will place first or not is not something you can judge by this thread. Though I would prefer a poll option on smashboards for "Who is more likely to win apex, mango or armada?" at least then we would have a slightly less biased avenue for determining what people think. Though even that would only tell us what those smash players who frequent smashboards and do polls think.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
Predictions of my heart:

1 : Hugs
2 : Taj
3 : KK
4 : Fly
5 : Cactuar
5 : Amsah
7 : Zgetto
7 : Armada
9 : Mango
9 : M2K
9 : PP
9 : HBox

(The US elite four all tied right under Armada, just for the lulz)

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
People viewing this thread right now:

Me and six guests.

You guys should make accounts, those of you who aren't people who have accounts that just aren't signed on.

Predictions of my heart:

1/2: Axe and Dr. Peepee. Last game of Grand Finals they have to stop the tournament to team up to go save baby seals from a dark force seeping up from the depths of the oceans, leaving the winner undecided but both of them champions of the universe.

That is all.

Lovage

Smash Hero

woOOOow armada demolishing a tourny in europe what a shocker

people say the same thing now about mango in the US btw

so that's why the next 3 tournies are gonna be sick

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
IMO Hax always seems to do better at nationals vs S2J. Just IMO by the way.

Hax will outplace S2J again.

Top ten for me

1 Armada
2 DrPP
3 Javi ( Kevin will have his revenge in an epic set )
4 Hax
5 Mango ( This is a big if cause I just see him some how getting drunk )
5 m2k ( big if...if he doesnt fall apart like he normally does...if he does he wont get past 17 )
7 Tuga
7 Ice ( I believe in him :D )

Again this is my opinion so it is up in the air XD

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
IMO Hax always seems to do better at nationals vs S2J. Just IMO by the way.

Hax will outplace S2J again.

Top ten for me

1 Armada
2 DrPP
3 Javi ( Kevin will have his revenge in an epic set )
4 Hax
5 Mango ( This is a big if cause I just see him some how getting drunk )
5 m2k ( big if...if he doesnt fall apart like he normally does...if he does he wont get past 17 )
7 Tuga
7 Ice ( I believe in him :D )

Again this is my opinion so it is up in the air XD
inb4bracket is rigged so this turns out to be true

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I mean Imissed a lot of good people but I think armada can take it...just depends if m2k doesnt go all emo and mango not drinking...when it doesnt happen at my events then we will see ya know?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
It's why I put disclaimers...I can make a real list but would that be any different for others?

MaNg0 hasn't beaten ARmada since like too long ago. Hyping MaNg0 winning vs ARmada is hypeable

Top Bottom