• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is dead, look for the new matchup thread. Be sure to read the rules.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Hm... I've never noticed this thread before. I can't say I agree with the matchups listed there. The strategies are close to what I think is true, but the difficulty of the matchups isn't what I'd personally have them as. For one, Pikachu vs Snake is nearly an unwinnable matchup. You'd probably have to learn an entirely new playstyle in order to go even, at the very best, against a good Pikachu. Nowadays I just use different characters in that matchup. Makes my life much easier.
I play one of the best Pikachus. It's really hard, but definitely not unwinnable by any means.

-Ran

Smash Master
Jesiah, you aren't allowed to post anymore. You're at 1337. Might as well make a new account.

Tomanator33

Smash Apprentice
Against meta stay on the ground. Snakes air attacks are almost all lower priority then MK attacks. Dont really dash around MK unless to Snakedash. Against aggressive MK keep cooking grenades, if the MK is somewhat predicable shield and attack out of shield. Since there is no shield stun you can attack out of shield while he is still finishing his attack animation. Walk around to space yourself, dashing leaves yourself open to MK better speed.

gallax

Smash Hero
a few things. i main pika and snake. in my pika clan we do pika vs my snake to get those guys practice to help them out just in case they meet a good snake. it is difficult for me to win, but since i know what pika can and cannot do its much easier for me. what im trying to say is that this matchup can go either way. at this point it is 50/50. this matchup depends totally on the player. both sides have the right stuff to win.

and i ahve a question about MK that maybe you guys could help me out with. i play MK on a regular basis, but lately one of my friends has been dtilt'ing like crazy and when i get close he either uses his ftilt/dash grab/dsmash. it depends really on how im approaching. but it has so much range, slow startup time, and very short lag time. if anyone here ever plays or has plays an MK then you should know how the dtilt is. my problem is that it has incredible range for such a smasll sword and i always get tripped by it and then i get punished by it. are there any strategies for getting around his dtilt approach? most of the time he uses it when im near the edge.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
and i ahve a question about MK that maybe you guys could help me out with. i play MK on a regular basis, but lately one of my friends has been dtilt'ing like crazy and when i get close he either uses his ftilt/dash grab/dsmash. it depends really on how im approaching. but it has so much range, slow startup time, and very short lag time. if anyone here ever plays or has plays an MK then you should know how the dtilt is. my problem is that it has incredible range for such a smasll sword and i always get tripped by it and then i get punished by it. are there any strategies for getting around his dtilt approach? most of the time he uses it when im near the edge.
If you want to be safe, I guess you can shield drop a grenade and roll away.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
If you want to be safe, I guess you can shield drop a grenade and roll away.
You can't do that if MK is Dtilting your shield. If MK dtilts your shield once in a while you can roll away, but usually you will get hit by it. If he Dsmashes your shield, punish with Ftilt...Same if he uses his Ftilt. Wait till the last hit and punish w/ Ftilt.

If you know he is going to approach w/ Dtilt, roll behind him, put your shield up and wait for him to do something. If he Dsmashes your shield punish with an Ftilt. If he spotdodges, punish that. If he rolls behind, turn around and Ftilt.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Anyone seen rusty lately? Hasn't touched this topic in a while.

Oh, btw, that's a good idea, Jesiah.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
lol. I'm staying home for college. Then again, he probably goes to a better one than I do, so meh.

And I must read the new match ups. Lacking that, and people to fight, too.

-Ran

Smash Master
If there are no objections, I'm going to write up the match up summary. I'll follow the current format.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
On a side note, it is very important that you have port priority against Meta Knight so you can avoid this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhmRoAz_4CQ
If you have superior priority, it will result in Meta Knight SDing and you surviving.
duude, this is why 4th player control slot is ftw

and yeah i dont mind if you write it up, but cecillanius is "in charge" so id talk to him

i need this soon though, big tourney here at Michigan in 6 days! and DSF is coming and he plays MK now ahhhhhhh

*cecillianus should come up to MI for this tourney..............*

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about the hold up. I've been having personal/family issues :(. I'm getting this written as soon as I can. I'm starting tonight for ya Hot Arms.

I wish I could come to a tournament but my family hates me. :/ I can't really go anywhere far.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
I got the MK match up updated. I just need help with the counter picks and bans. (I already know that Battlefield is a ban for sure.) I'm too tired to think much else at the moment. Thank you!

I'm sorry for the large wait. It won't happen again.

Oh, and if anyone wants me to show them a certain tactic that I explained, I'll be more than happy to show you. Just ask.

-Ran

Smash Master
Ban:
Rainbow Cruise.

Pretty clear as to why.

You also might want to add to the Expect list:
"Dash Grab to Down Throw to Short hop aerial chase."

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes! Rainbow Cruise! Thank you for reminding me about RC.

I added that expectation. Thanks. I just watched some videos of MK this morning and that seemed to be used a lot.

-Ran

Smash Master
Another expectation:
Tornado Spam until you can prove you can punish it.

How you handle it, determines the entire match. If you can't get around that 'wall' the match will involve a few hundred tornadoes. If you can stop it effectively, they'll move to the other ways of using Meta Knight.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
what moves of snake have priority over it or knock him out? I figure shield dropping grenades and throwing them at him would be pretty effective. Does utilt knock him out of it? What about c4 and mortar and mines. Time for some testing.

somefatkid

Smash Rookie
Is this thred going to add DeDeDe to the match up list because getting past the infinate grab on good players is almost impossible ?

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Is this thred going to add DeDeDe to the match up list because getting past the infinate grab on good players is almost impossible ?
I can write about D3 later. I was thinking of writing up Lucario after MK.

what moves of snake have priority over it or knock him out? I figure shield dropping grenades and throwing them at him would be pretty effective. Does utilt knock him out of it? What about c4 and mortar and mines. Time for some testing.
The utilt can go through MK's attacks. But, it's hard to get that precise moment on when to use it. Hmm...mines aren't much of a great idea. The MK usually pressures or hits you right into it. C4 can work, but the timing has to be perfect because of MK's speed.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
There's alot of flaws in this guide. MK is not 5 (*****) difficulty against Snake and Snake rules battlefield like no other character.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
There's alot of flaws in this guide. MK is not 5 (*****) difficulty against Snake and Snake rules battlefield like no other character.
care to explain why you say those?

so far olimar, DK, and metaknight have been done and 100% those characters pwn at that stage.....they even counterpick those stages.......so depends on who snake plays that matters, because bf has already been set as a counterpick against certain characters

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think that Final Destination is a good counterpick?

1. There is enough space for dodging and escaping MK's attacks.
2. Less area for MK to use UP+B.
3. Less room for MK to evade explosives.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Haha, well I'm just saying...I think MK has the advantage vs Snake, so I meant even if MK does beat Snake about 60-40.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I would probably give this 4 stars for difficulty. Yes, Snake has to work hard, but Meta-Knight has to work harder. He dies early from tilts due to his light weight and has to approach carefully in order to not get blasted by grenades.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
The best MKs are always going to be a tough fight. Seriously I feel his only disadvantage in this match-up is his light weight. It's relatively easy for MK to get inside of Snake's explosives and aerial **** the heck out of him.

Also I would think to ban Luigi's Mansion against MK. Depends on how well the MK can camp but that center area really helps negates how early he can get star KO-ed.

edit: Nice job with the thread Cecilanius :)

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
I thought I was being such a slack, but thank you. :laugh:

I never faced MK on Luigi's mansion...I don't think it's easy for MK to get around the grenades though. Don't you think you can irritate MK by shield dropping grenades and evading? It could stop the the barrage of attacks. If you think he might grab, there is still enough room even in those hallways to airdodge.

Sorry if that sounds like complete ****. I didn't sleep last night. :laugh:

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
against an mk in luigis i just stay on the 2nd floor, i wait for him to attack from there

also if you see an mk floating relatively closely to you and you dont have grenades pulled out expect the mk to tornado you from his floating position

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your tips on the Pikachu matchup. I have one thing to add though, if you are recovering and you manage to get close to the edge, most Pikas will grab you, thus cancelling your cypher and your other jumps. What you do then in use your C4 to recover REALLY quickly. Be careful not to hold down, just tilt down enough so that you can drop a C4. If you hold down, you will fast fall and die.

Top Bottom