• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that disrupt your gameplay

Bets

Smash Journeyman
What are you pet peeves in melee? You know. The things people do that annoy you during a match [that possibly effect your gameplay. Here are some of mine:

1. People who yell "mindgames" after you SD a stock.
2. People who taunt after a kill.
3. People in the background telling your opponent your playstyle.
4. People that yell "wombo combo!!!111" or HMW commentary references during singles match.
5. People that pause in the middle of a match.

Pi

Smash Hero
I try not to let things get to me
I've learned to ignore taunts, which use to get to me, and just stay calm in the match in general so they don't bother me so much
If people shout my playstyle it means I'm being predictable and should change up
Most of the **** I don't mind

But when people john....
Especially the disbelieving stare johns
I feel obligated to fill in what's on their mind
otherwise it's awkward
cause my true thoughts are 'what are you lookin at me for, it's your mistake'

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Nothing.

Well, if I play a tournament match and I lose a match that I KNOW I should've won, it bugs me for awhile but it's not that big of a deal.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I lost a tournament match cuz this guy yelled, "I just creamed myself!" after I comboed him 0-death first stock.

I just...couldn't go on after that.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I can't stand people nararating matches when it's not necessary.
>.>shadowball I'm looking at you. kid started rooting against me when I was getting ***** in pools. Thanks buddy lol
Naw but what really pisses me off is people touching the god**** GC cord. This happens more than you'd think. When I play with some of my friends they, like, hold it and stuff, just to do something with their hands, and I get all pissed. today, I was playing brawl (eeeewww) and I sd'd a stock because I was yelling at a kid while I was stalling on the ledge with dedede with his up-b and I tapped down too late. IT WAS A MONEY MATCH

Proverbs

Smash Lord
It really bothers me when people make loads of wombo combo references when it doesn't make sense...

Grunt

Smash Master
This. >.>
Someone was watching me play my marth vs a sheik, and some douchebag was telling him how to chain grab me properly, when to shield, when to punish, noted my mistakes...I still won but come on! he can't get better if you tell him what to do.
It really bothers me when people make loads of wombo combo references when it doesn't make sense...
WOMBO COMBO !!!!
OH
OH
OMG
GET YO *** WHUPPED

Blahblahwutever

Smash Journeyman
you know,

i hate it when people walk in front of the screen,

and when my sister says "awwww" when i dont make it

and especially (spelling?) when my opponent pauses and starts talking to someone watching.

HATE THOSE THINGS.

HATE THEM!!!!
*FALCON PAWNCH to person who knows they do those things*

:dizzy:

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Since I play in a common room...

- People walking in front of the TV
- Some guy unplugging my controller

...but otherwise...

- Excessive bragging. Awesome buddy, you hit me when I was at 150% and took my stock. Big whoop.
- "OMG I was shielding" john. Because I hear it wayyyyyy too much.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
What are you pet peeves in melee? You know. The things people do that annoy you during a match [that possibly effect your gameplay. Here are some of mine:

4. People that yell "wombo combo!!!111" or HMW commentary references during singles match.
5. People that pause in the middle of a match.
That's funny, because pausing is the only thing that would upset me, but it happens so rarely.

I'm assuming you're talking strictly when playing in a tournament. Because if not, if someone tells my opponent my playstyle, that is GOOD. How else will I get better if I have the same tendencies/patterns. If someone gimps you every time because you're easy to gimp, that will make you better.
Punish bad habits. It will make him better and you better.
Also...Taunting is FTW, so you must be talking about tournies.

But really, if these sort of things are that frustrating for you, think how someone like Mango felt at RoM. Yeah.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
the thought of needing to pee

I always try to take a piss before my match, no joke.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
if I lose my first stock without hitting my opponent, I just shut down from the loss of morale and play horribly for the rest of the set.

Also, it annoys me a lot when people use that stupid technique called "match canceling" to keep me from making a sweet pose on the victory screen. But that doesn't really throw off my game because the match is already over.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
[deleted.]

Last edited:

Bets

Smash Journeyman
That's funny, because pausing is the only thing that would upset me, but it happens so rarely.

I'm assuming you're talking strictly when playing in a tournament. Because if not, if someone tells my opponent my playstyle, that is GOOD. How else will I get better if I have the same tendencies/patterns. If someone gimps you every time because you're easy to gimp, that will make you better.
Punish bad habits. It will make him better and you better.
Also...Taunting is FTW, so you must be talking about tournies.

But really, if these sort of things are that frustrating for you, think how someone like Mango felt at RoM. Yeah.
Mango and I are two different people.

I guess I should say I have my own "smash etiquette" and I always try to be respectful to my opponent in and out of tournament. I always say "good game" after playing new people, introduce myself to my opponent, and shake his or her hand after before and after every match. I try not to do things that make me look really arrogant. That means I don't chaingrab, yell the word mindgames after everything, pause after each kill [or pause cancel LOL.], or taunt after a kill. Its all sportsmanship stuffs. I just try not to be an *******.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Oh look a thread full of johns. :D

lmao. But seriously...

I hate when I get stock ***** or gayed early on vs people my level. It ***** my morale so bad I just wanna LRAStart. T_T

raincatchfire

Smash Journeyman
people trying to talk to me during gameplay.

cellphone going off during gameplay.

people talking loudly right behind me during a match in grand finals. almost lost a tourney to that shiz.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Mango and I are two different people.

I guess I should say I have my own "smash etiquette" and I always try to be respectful to my opponent in and out of tournament. I always say "good game" after playing new people, introduce myself to my opponent, and shake his or her hand after before and after every match. I try not to do things that make me look really arrogant. That means I don't chaingrab, yell the word mindgames after everything, pause after each kill [or pause cancel LOL.], or taunt after a kill. Its all sportsmanship stuffs. I just try not to be an *******.

O_o
I don't wanna be an ***, but chaingrabbing honestly has nothing to do with etiquette. In fact, there are really people who will LOSE respect for you if they see you seem to miss a CG opportunity.

Zodiac

Smash Master

those are the top two thing that piss me off and the only guy I play does them all the time...but then again... so do I. lol

but anyway I almost never have full focus during friendlies, usually I can only maintain full focus or "The Zone" during tournaments.

Pretty much anyone talking to me or saying anything in general throws off my game.

but when Im playing friendlies I dont take it to seriously and tend to screw around (Unless its someone a lot better than me I know I can improve by going all out on)

Also in tournaments I have WAY more motivation to do my best.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Johns really bug me too. I have some friends who are just getting into the whole technical scene, like, 09, and I've been playing since 07, and they think they're even with me. When they say some **** about how they did something, It really bugs me that they can't man up and say their finger slipped, or maybe, just MAYBE, the game is a TINY LITTLE BIT broken. I make a point to accept the things I cannot change in smash, and sometimes I recover the wrong way. I'll tell you what I don't do. I don't start screaming about how my controller is broken, which is the solution about half my friends take.

I'm looking at you, Asa.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
when ppl pause the game every 28 seconds to text another GUY. at least be a girl, god dam...lol

Kurtzmann22

Smash Rookie
Pretty much everything mentioned. Esp: "mind games", "wombo combo", and people yelling/narrating.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
I don't really have many pet peeves of other people doing things... Mine is when someone texts me in the middle of a match. I don't care if people john, trash talk, taunt, or root for the other guy with all the passion they were born with, but if I get a text during a match, i get a little too ticked off at the person who texted me. I guess I have anger management issues about that...

Top Bottom