• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that disrupt your gameplay

Matux

Smash Apprentice
People doing always the same:

Match starts - Chaingrab to win, proof of noobiness, they're to frightened to try new things because the could loose the match. Exactly - people who only try to win, not to have fun, that's really sad.

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
Oh look a thread full of johns. :D

This is what I was thinking when I saw this thread.

Even in tournaments my and my friends yell "mindgames" nonstop and "I don't curr, I'm all up in the smash, son!". Sometimes I think people take this game a little too seriously.

EDIT: When we play against each other anyway. When we play against other people we stop because we figure they're like the people in this thread.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
ahhhhh, just let the serious players take their game seriously.

besides, those types of things happen to everyone, you just have to man up and accept that yes, EVEN YOU, can make mistakes.

for me, I'd say the "Oh I should've shielded/dodged/teched that" is the most annoying thing I hear, but it doesn't really annoy me that much, just because it doesn't really mean anything in the end.

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
ahhhhh, just let the serious players take their game seriously.

besides, those types of things happen to everyone, you just have to man up and accept that yes, EVEN YOU, can make mistakes.

for me, I'd say the "Oh I should've shielded/dodged/teched that" is the most annoying thing I hear, but it doesn't really annoy me that much, just because it doesn't really mean anything in the end.
My friend used to do that and I figured the key to stopping it:

"OH YOU SHOULD HAVE TECHED THAT! WHERE ARE YOUR TECHS MANG? WHATSAMATTER? ALL TECHED OUT?"

Keep in mind it is important to use caps irl.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
ok i have visited my friends house and found out some irritating things that i didnt notice:

1)i hate cstickers,like my friend just spams links dsmash and nair,and when he picks falco he moves with fsmash -_-

2)that guy who is always jhoning,there will always be one on a free for all(AKA royal rumble) who has samus and keeps shooting missiles and stuff from an edge on fd and when he sees himself with a better player in the end(me) he sd his last stock,im always about to yell BE A MAN MOTHA F*CKA

3)the jhoning guy is also the buffon who makes laugh everyone, and everytime someone(him) loses a stock he says a strange joke and you cant stop laughing and lose your timing

4)that guy who wins without knowing ATs or anything and only chooses the same char cuz he saw something that he could use there(DAT PEACH FECKING DOWNSMASH)

5)and last but not least,those noobs who always say i will beat you on next round!(after being 4stocked)

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
1. People who think they are the best even after you completely **** them. They talk **** throughout the match no matter how bad they're losing.
2. People who john.
3. People who walk in front of the screen on purpose.
4. People who say things like "You **** yourself, huh?" after you SD by accident.
5. People who are ignorant of the competitive side of melee and think I hacked the game to make my character faster...

LSDX

Wah!
What are you pet peeves in melee? You know. The things people do that annoy you during a match [that possibly effect your gameplay. Here are some of mine:

1. People who yell "mindgames" after you SD a stock.
2. People who taunt after a kill.
3. People in the background telling your opponent your playstyle.
4. People that yell "wombo combo!!!111" or HMW commentary references during singles match.
5. People that pause in the middle of a match.
1. Scrubs who spam projectiles.
2. Scrubs who spam dash attacks.
3. Scrubs who abuse top tiers just to win.
4. Scrubs.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
Mango and I are two different people.

I guess I should say I have my own "smash etiquette" and I always try to be respectful to my opponent in and out of tournament. I always say "good game" after playing new people, introduce myself to my opponent, and shake his or her hand after before and after every match. I try not to do things that make me look really arrogant. That means I don't chaingrab, yell the word mindgames after everything, pause after each kill [or pause cancel LOL.], or taunt after a kill. Its all sportsmanship stuffs. I just try not to be an *******.

Not sure what you're talking about with the chaingrab thing.

Also, if you're referring to playing with people who you don't normally play with (shaking hands?), well yeah, I have a (new) policy for myself...don't talk...period.

If I'm playing with my friends, I don't think I need to follow a strict etiquette. Don't pause for stupid stuff, don't walk in front of the tv, but besides that not much else. (If they're really your friends, they won't be a **** and anything they say should be funny, not insulting or upsetting)

Additionally, tournaments and smashfests are only so often. I would imagine most people play with close friends most of the time they smash. I was thinking there really isn't that much that upsets me because it's just friendlies.

BUT, when it comes to people I don't know or don't know well/tournaments-->mouth closed.

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
1. People who get angry because they can't escape a combo.
2. People who pause the game.
3. People who use Fox to spam his laser.
4. People who use Falco to spam his laser.
5. People who think Jiggly Puff is overpowered and cheep.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
1. People who get angry because they can't escape a combo.
2. People who pause the game.
3. People who use Fox to spam his laser.
4. People who use Falco to spam his laser.
5. People who think Jiggly Puff is overpowered and cheep.
1)my brother
2)my brother
3)my brother
4)my friend
5)me(LOL)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
People who get angry tend to ruin it for me sometimes (What the F*** I BLOCKED THAT!!!) You feel like you either have to sandbag and hope that he'll calmdown or continue the punishment until the friendship is terminated lol. And also people that openly state that they're "giving up" or say "look now you're going to **** me" lol that throws me off sometimes as well.

Spife

Smash Master
scrubs and talkers bother me.
In friendlies i usually just enjoy myself, I get frustrated though when I'm playing with some one who I take to be about equal skill level (and losing to them) AND can't step it up to start playing more even (e.g. yedi consistantly 2 stocking me at rom, <3)
nothing really throws me off my game though, i guess listening to music does cause the rhythm of the game doesn't match the tempo.

lul at all the people who hate tactics though, play to win.

Top Bottom