• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
And you've never performed better than me. I am your idol. You should name your daughter after me.

@T-block: Are my facts wrong? If they aren't, then how would you argue against my opinion? I just want to understand is all. The whole reason arguments are so drawn out and people waste time are because
  1. standards aren't utilized so people have different ways of assessing the importance of facts, and
  2. people don't acknowledge facts or can't decipher between what is fact and what is opinion, and thus can't come to a compromise.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Had some stuff written out, but I'd like to see T-Block respond to NOID's post first.

If I were a TO, I would turn a blind eye to DK planking DDD if the infinite was allowed.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Had some stuff written out, but I'd like to see T-Block respond to NOID's post first.

If I were a TO, I would turn a blind eye to DK planking DDD if the infinite was allowed.
Thiiiiiiiiiis.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
THIS^

san would you argue as to WHY you would do that? i completely agree with you but my vocabulary and arguing skill aint there so i may need to steal your words.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Oh crap, I just agreed with Xyro...

... ummmmmm, FD sucks monkey nuts!!!!! :D

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Because both tactics are gay? That isn't fair IMO.

The difference is that D3 infinite CGing DK is an effective way to end the match by putting him into kill range, land a kill, etc. DK planking D3 doesn't force D3 to take on damage and end the match.

It may force D3 to approach if he doesn't have the percent lead, but say he doesn't and DK planks for 185 ledge grabs. Do you find it fair that the DK won the match by time-out instead of taking stocks? IMO, it isn't.

Another interesting use of the LGL rule is to limit stalling maneuvers. D3 isn't forced to approach DK outside of percentage lead, which becomes second priority to LGL once DK hits the limit. DK isn't forced to approach D3 either, especially when the field is in D3's favor, but is when he hits his LGL.

Hypothetical analysis time!

What if there was no LGL and this scenario occurred? D3 is on stage, DK is planking with the percentage lead. Neither player wants to approach the other. Who is the "staller?"

T-block

B2B TST
Xyro, out of curiosity, are you pro-Picto?

And you've never performed better than me. I am your idol. You should name your daughter after me.

@T-block: Are my facts wrong? If they aren't, then how would you argue against my opinion? I just want to understand is all. The whole reason arguments are so drawn out and people waste time are because
  1. standards aren't utilized so people have different ways of assessing the importance of facts, and
  2. people don't acknowledge facts or can't decipher between what is fact and what is opinion, and thus can't come to a compromise.
No, your facts aren't wrong, although you take for granted that this is fact:

what's more important is whether the hazards can be accurately predicted.
I agree with your analysis about why debates reach impasses. I think the disagreement between me and san comes down to the following difference in ideals:
  • I feel that if the outcome is swayed, that's all that's important - HOW it is swayed is irrelevant. This leads me to say that Yoshi's sways outcomes by returning stocks, while Pictochat sways outcomes in many ways; however, because both do have potential to sway the outcome of a match, but should be regarded as a stage affecting a match, without fussing over specifics of how it does so. So, I say the only difference in randomness between Yoshi's and Pictochat is frequency.
  • san feels that how the randomness manifests itself should be considered. Because Yoshi's randomness can be anticipated, it is more acceptable than Pictochat's, as Pictochat does not allow reaction. On Yoshi's, you can say "my opponent might be saved at this specific spot and I can prepare for that" even though the stock is given a second chance, and the attacker also has a chance to take the stock again. On Pictochat, there's no such luxury, except maybe towards the very end of the match.

Satisfied?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
THIS^

san would you argue as to WHY you would do that? i completely agree with you but my vocabulary and arguing skill aint there so i may need to steal your words.
Cause it'd be funny as anything. Other characters can platform camp but DK can get run into a corner pretty fast with that tactic..

This is pure opinion, but just ban both or ban none.
To be honest, there isn't much of a way to avoid inconsistencies like this.

LGL + infinites, yet a viable tactic like DK on the ledge is taken away.
Infinites in general, differentiating between really long CGs and infinites, etc. Where to draw the line, where to make exceptions.

You're bound to get things like that for bans on situational issues. People consider DK planking problematic, yet in some cases it could be his best way to survive a match. Yet that still doesn't change consensus on the tactic in general. Leads to logical circles, lol.

There is a lot of things that TOs need to consider. It's a tough job.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I dont see how anything picto does is more game changing than a lot of the other stages we have, it really depends on the character you use. Theres already a precedent for not banning stages based on random factors, strong hazards, and level interaction. To ban Pictochat would be the first stage to be banned because its "too much" of something or frequency as T-block said.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Watching people edit posts in real time is amazing.

Gea

Smash Master
So wait, it's pretty much agreed upon that rules that specifically go out of their way to attempt and balance the roster are not okay, but using the stagelist to foster character balance as an argument for stages is valid? I wasn't aware BF, Smashville, and Yoshi's were picked due to fostering the best balance in matchup ratios. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's not the criteria used at all. Why are arguments about this brought up? So what if a stage list helps or hurts characters. As long as the stagelist has clear regulations in what each stage should do and is agreed upon by those players as acceptable in hazards, what's the issue? It's already been made clear that a stage list should not be formed around a character, so why does the discussion continue to drift that way?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I sort of touched on this in my long post, but there is a difference in yoshi's and pictos random factors. However in the end I dont see one as being more predictable and easier to deal with than the other.

With yoshi's its an issue of timing. I know where the ghost will pop up, but when? It could be said that since I know where the ghost will pop up at any moment, I can prepare for it.

With Picto's its more a spatial issue. I know when the transformations are coming, but what will it be? It could just as well be said that since I know when the transformations will occur, I should be able to prepare for them as well.

The only issues I see with random factors are those you cannot predict in terms of its timing or the area it will occur in.

Xyro77

Oh nvm san. i thought you had a cure for the way brawl is. it seems that not even you can do it.

and T-block. i am a supporter of picto chat. Here in texas ive made my players play all sorts of stages. Port town/green greens/picto/luigi's/norfair....ect just to test the waters. Of all these stages picto is liked the most and still used to this day.

People talk about hazards and stuff wrecking games and i totally agree that it CAN happen but it almost never happens. People then complain and say "i shouldnt have to play on a level that even has that ****" clearly these people never played melee(where if we didnt like a transformation on pkmn1...we sat there and waited) or just are not smart enough to play on pictochat enough times in friendlies to understand its NOT that bad.

Ive just learned that over time, people(as a whole) get worse and this "brawl generation" of players are by far the most picky/self-centered and just flat out ******** bunch of players ive ever met. For instance, melee japes had a croc that killed u in one hit, it had water where you couldnt swim, it had characters that could LOCK you into a situation where you got spike INTO the water or croc....yet it was legal for YEARS and YEARS. Now look at brawl, the water SAVES you. The croc CANT kill you unless u are and mid-high to HIGH %s(low% if u are jiggs) or if u hit it twice. Yet its banned. ROFL. see what im saying? ONLY the brawl gen would do this!

Gea

Smash Master
Picto is well received in Texas because it is seen as a good alternative to FD in general structure. Probably the most important non-starter counterpick stage in doubles here, too.

T-block

B2B TST
Honestly, I agree with most of what you just said. It's something I've been trying to fight, but lately it's been feeling like almost nobody feels the same way, and those that do don't care to argue anymore.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Sorry Xyro. I'm still not even used to the LGL. When it was originally introduced as this magical rule from japan, I instantly dismissed it at first, lol.

BSP

Smash Legend
So wait, it's pretty much agreed upon that rules that specifically go out of their way to attempt and balance the roster are not okay, but using the stagelist to foster character balance as an argument for stages is valid? I wasn't aware BF, Smashville, and Yoshi's were picked due to fostering the best balance in matchup ratios. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's not the criteria used at all. Why are arguments about this brought up? So what if a stage list helps or hurts characters. As long as the stagelist has clear regulations in what each stage should do and is agreed upon by those players as acceptable in hazards, what's the issue? It's already been made clear that a stage list should not be formed around a character, so why does the discussion continue to drift that way?
I guess that's why they used "Starter" instead of "Neutral". I won't complain about FD in the starter list if that's just what it is, a starter. It still isn't fair though, but that's not the aim of the list?

Xyro77

Honestly, I agree with most of what you just said. It's something I've been trying to fight, but lately it's been feeling like almost nobody feels the same way, and those that do don't care to argue anymore.
I completely agree. I tend to stop arguing with "brawl gen" people because simply because they just dont have the EXPERIENCE.In general, All they know is BRAWL or 08 melee(aka everyone moved on to brawl and doesnt care about melee). They sit there and form these HUGE essay with fancy words and "logical this" and "logical that" and it looks REALLY REALLY good(and thats how they get their supporters because people naturally follow "smart" people) but at the end of the day what they say works just ON PAPER and almost NEVER in game. They also sit there and try to tell you whats "fair/unfair" "logical/illogical" "neutral/counterpick" "broken/not broken" and to be honest, the definitions of those terms were set back in melee but since they dont like that or dont wanna admit they suck/are wrong/******** they just decide to rewrite these terms into what THEY want. You cant win with these people. ROFL.

Then you have the people like inui(no offense)/dmbrandon(is that the same guy as diem?) and other people who literally wake up in the morning, eat a bowl of wheaties and make it a "GOAL OF THE DAY" to find something to complain about and look like total poop scoops just so they can feel like a hero or feel noticed or maybe even feel like they are worth something(i dont know or care, they are messed up either way). These people will always be a thorn in your side but since you cant drive to their house and ram a butcher knife in their eye you just gotta carry on and do whats right regardless of what they say. Thats pretty much what i have done for over 7 years.

Xyro77

seriously, what i just said is what BILLIONS of people KNOW in their hearts they dont say cause they dont wanna deal with the dummies attacking them.

Gea

Smash Master
I guess that's why they used "Starter" instead of "Neutral". I won't complain about FD in the starter list if that's just what it is, a starter. It still isn't fair though, but that's not the aim of the list?
Neutrals was never supposed to be a term about balance on stages, it was about hazards on stages. Character balance is NOT what making a good stage list is about. A good stage list is about finding the best criteria for your community's beliefs about the game and sticking with them to create the most unbiased experience to foster the values your community appreciates.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I would like as many stages legal as possible unless proved too broken for competitive play. Obviously this did not work in real life (BBR ruleset rofl) but I believe skill can help someone use a stage's traits to a high potential.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have my own thoughts about FD. "These characters are too strong here!" Isn't really one of my reasons, though. Some characters really like BF/FD/YI, too. I think it's probably coincidence that all of these are some characters' best stages. I have beaten top Diddys and ICs on this stage before (in friendlies though.. why would I let them here in tourney??)

@T-Block
I wasn't really finished fleshing out my thoughts but here:

Let's say the transformation is only out on average 10 seconds, just like actual Pictochat. There is a 1:00 to 2:00 between transformations, so not really predictable at all. Let's even take out some of the more passive transformations... Umbrella, House, Sheep, Eyes are gone, so it's even more likely the drawing will mess with things.
There will be ~50 seconds of guaranteed safety, then when the minute starts, things are slightly dangerous, and gets even more dangerous as time goes on. Camping the 1:15-1:45 part seems reasonable enough (then just hiding in fear after 1:45 if it still didn't change).

It's really hard to compare to the regular Picto which forces so much upon the players at a consistent rate. I am trying to think whether times like Kismet vs Biglou will happen again. Everyone will be really cautious after a minute of "FD-chat" has gone by.

I think the form you propose is better than the current Picto as long as you are fine with it being like FD most of the match. There are less "transformation combos" where it's one bad transformation after the next (DDD CG to whale, to line, to side spikes stage spike). More time to secure the most favorable position for you.

T-block

B2B TST
Oh I didn't mean to rush you.

So there must be more to it than "many possible events, no warning, could occur anywhere", since this new Pictochat has all those problems, right?

If camping 1:15 to 1:45 is reasonable, why isn't camping for 5 seconds reasonable?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You have 50 seconds to think,secure a spot and prepare before the possibility comes up.

5 seconds is not enough to do everything that was listed above, considering Picto's size. The next transformation is pretty much guaranteed to come in 5 seconds. Sometimes, you will be in less than ideal positions. Even recovering from getting hit could take the whole interval.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You know you're wrong when you say "other people keep saying logical this and logical that, but I KNOW what's right, I FEEL it in my heart"

NNID
Budget_Player
Just out front... Can we stop talking about Pictochat, at least for the moment? IMO there are more important goals, and **** we can all agree on... :glare:

Note: The following is just my opinions and take on the controversial issues people have been bringing up. None of this is official from the BBR-RC.

*PS2 is legal?*

At first glace, this stage seems messy. Physic changes aren't normal to competitive Brawl. However, unlike Pictochat, nothing on this stage is random and all transitions are adaptable. Furthermore, the transitions that may not benefit your character in a MU can be easily camped out just as most players do on PS1 during most of the transitions, as approaching is incredibly unsafe in those situations. What's even better is that the neutral state of the stage is better than on PS1, due to the ledges not having the ability to gimp certain characters. Even during DM's Skype Ruleset Discussion, the majority wanted this stage. So this stage won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
You know, I have to feel at least somewhat responsible for this. Sanity wins. Yay.

*Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar, Can't have Both?*

I have a feeling this wasn't even brought up initially. But it might have been, I'm not sure. What was more interesting was last night during DM's Skype Ruleset Discussion, when we got to this part, we were all drawing blanks. The stages alone are hard to justify banning. Which do you choose? Rainbow or Brinstar? The reason people want one of the two stages gone is because of MK having technically a free counterpick with both on the same stage list. But out of everyone in the discussion, no one really could figure out which should go over the other, and it ended up with both staying. There are more alternate suggestions, such as having two bans or limiting MK only further, but that's a whole other discussion.
If I didn't main MK, I would probably ***** and moan bitterly about needing to win game one to have a chance against an MK in the set (until I realize "oh wait, I have a free counterpick game one"), because these stages are really ****ing good for Metaknight. TBH I've come to like the german way of not having both legal (usually RC gets the boot), because it kind of makes sense, if only because having both legal is very dangerous for the metagame.

I would seriously like to propose my idea of two stage bans again.
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=172104
With two stage bans, not only does the RC-Brinstar problem stop being one, but the JJ-whatever or Norfair-whatever problem is made milder by quite a bit. I sincerely recommend that you guys look in to it. I have been running an extended list with multiple stage bans in my Brawl- events, and while I have to say that it's not quite the same game, the effect is the same–if a character like Bowser comes along who absolutely wrecks your *** on multiple stages, then you don't have to worry quite as much.

*FD as a starter?*

This was discussed during the starter stages being put together. It was pretty split from what I remember, but it was decided against on the initial release to help have the ruleset be taken more seriously. Yes, it means if you're fighting Diddy, ICs, or Falco you're almost guaranteed game 1 to be on BF. But for the time being until it can be better discussed it's a better alternative than having the ruleset looked at as too extreme for removing a starter stage that has been used as a starter in just about every single Brawl tourney to date. But do not worry, this will be discussed more in future updates.
To be honest, I think that the most productive thing at this point is not "replace FD with PS1" or something like that, I think it's "Add PS1 and CS/DP/whatever to the starter list". FD (or more precisely, the FD/SV/BF combination) simply isn't as big of an issue with 7 starters. And the more starters you get, the more valid "just strike it" becomes to any "standouts" like CS or PS2... Or, in fact, FD. :laugh: The question of "what's the 7th starter" remains open, sure, but I think just saying "we're going to upgrade to 7" and then figuring out the details is best. Even if you won't place PS2 as a starter, CS is really very balanced (when was the last time you saw it counterpicked in a tournament set? I think DDD even usually goes for FD over CS!), and Delfino provides a nice counterpiece to stages like FD and SV in most matchups.

Does FD really skewer MU ratios? To answer this question, you have to compare it to something else. More so than the other current starters? What characters benefit so heavily from keeping a FD a starter? Falco (I thought BF was his best stage)? Diddy? Sonic?
Ice climbers, Diddy, and Falco are the big ones. All three of these characters have FD, SV, and BF among their best stages in pretty much every matchup. And guess what? In this starter list, they can guarantee one of those. Is that really a good thing? It seems to me like it makes the starter list almost inherently dysfunctional if a certain subset of characters can guarantee one of their top stages.

The difference between FD and stages like RC and Brinstar is that FD doesn't disable options. RC and Brinstar, with their heavy emphasis on aerial combat, do.
Define disable and options. You can try to set up a banana fortress on Brinstar, it just won't last long and won't be very effective. You can try to run away and laser camp on RC, it just won't work well. You can try to air camp, juggle, and chase offstage on FD, it just won't work as well.

Furthermore, you have used an extreme. Rarely do extremes work to convince others. More often they bring about skepticism. In this case, you suggested Brinster and RC as starters:
  • How are they "the other side of the spectrum?" I didn't think FD was so far off to one side. On the other hand, RC and Brinstar shut down and severely limit the options of a majority of characters.
  • The point of starter stages is to provide a net balance of stages. If you agree that RC and Brinstar are extremes of one spectrum but cannot sufficiently defend FD as the other, it wouldn't create a balanced starter list.
FD is the very edge of its class. It is the single most "grounded" stage in the game (other than Bridge of Eldin, which is banned). It provides the most extreme advantage to characters who enjoy wide, flat spaces; to characters who specialize in projectile walling; to characters who need long reaches to CG off; to characters who need a lot of space to avoid juggling issues; to characters who can't deal with moving elements/hazards. It's not that hard to figure out... RC and Brinstar are virtually polar opposites to FD. While I will admit that the claim "FD is as bad as RC or Brinstar" (balance-wise) is off-base ever so slightly, "FD is as bad as Frigate" really isn't that far off the mark at all.

Finally, I want to address the idea of stage striking. If we agree that no stage is balanced, but we can effectively provide a balanced group of stages, then the point of stage striking is to give the players the option to compromise what stage is within the best interests of both players. Thus, and I emphasize this, we should focus on ensuring the group of stages is balanced first. I don't see RC and Brinstar as balancing some other stage specifically because there aren't that many characters that can effectively play on it. FD... I can't think of one character that performs abnormally bad on it. I'm surprised to see people so passionate about the subject of changing FD into a counterpick and am still curious about the validity of their argument.
"I can't think of one character that performs abnormally bad on it"... Nope, but I can think of quite a few matchups...
Wario does abnormally bad on it against Dedede
Metaknight does abnormally bad on it against ICs
Ike does abnormally bad on it against Falco...

Etc. You're thinking in absolutes. There is no absolute performance, only relative. You can't claim "FD isn't a bad stage for anyone" when it clearly is a bad stage in many matchups for many characters. It doesn't actively hinder them, but it passively hinders them by making their opponents that much stronger.

Furthermore, there may be "more balanced" stages in brawl, when compared to others. However, figuring out exactly what those are is hard (and especially in cases like CS and PS2, people aren't likely to accept it–PS2 is a counterpick for Yoshi and MAYBE Lucas, potentially G&W in a very long set. In most matchups it's obscenely well-balanced. But nobody would ever take it as a starter seriously)–you have to go through each stage, matchup by matchup, and figure it out, relative to all the other stages... There's a much easier way of doing this: make every stage a starter. Obviously, this has logistical problems when you try to use it (striking from 13 or 15 stages... could take a while), but even in larger starter lists like the 9-stage list, you get a good idea of these things (assuming people don't just say, "**** it, SV?"). This is why large starter lists are so good. It helps destroy any "misconceptions" regarding which stages are really balanced (if BF, SV, AND FD get struck most of the time, just as a hypothetical example, then it means something: those stages are probably not very balanced), and really gets us useful data on stage usage.

Speaking of useful data on stage usage, FD was banned in between 30% and 1/3rd of all sets at MLG. If this doesn't say something about the stage's balance, then what does?

I still have nothing against FD as part of a 7 or 9 starter stagelist, it's just this issue that, say, Falco can always strike you to BF or SV (both really good stages for him in most matchups)... It's like having YI/Picto/BF as a starter list and wondering why people are complaining about Pictochat; it's because it sticks out like a sore thumb (balance-wise), and because of its presence, DK and Sonic can always guarantee YI; usually their go-to counterpick after stage banning, as their "fair" stage in round one.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I completely agree. I tend to stop arguing with "brawl gen" people because simply because they just dont have the EXPERIENCE.In general, All they know is BRAWL or 08 melee(aka everyone moved on to brawl and doesnt care about melee). They sit there and form these HUGE essay with fancy words and "logical this" and "logical that" and it looks REALLY REALLY good(and thats how they get their supporters because people naturally follow "smart" people) but at the end of the day what they say works just ON PAPER and almost NEVER in game. They also sit there and try to tell you whats "fair/unfair" "logical/illogical" "neutral/counterpick" "broken/not broken" and to be honest, the definitions of those terms were set back in melee but since they dont like that or dont wanna admit they suck/are wrong/******** they just decide to rewrite these terms into what THEY want. You cant win with these people. ROFL.
Lebron James.
All I gotta say.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Orion: FD is the flattest stage in any matchup. Sadly, that also makes it the most polarizing for many matchups - more than enough to justify removing it from a 5-stage starter list.
Well I have two problems with this idea...

One, from personal experience I rarely if ever see FD polarize matchups that much in tournament play as far as tournament viable characters go.

Two, Matchups are all theory craft. We should not base a ruleset around theory craft.

Actually, I do have one comment for the Pictochat argument: is it possible to compare how many times YI:B either saves or kills somebody compared to how many times Pictochat does the same? I'm not sure how you could go about it, sampling size, ect, but if the percents were very similar (Say, within 5%?), wouldn't that kinda render the whole "It's not the same as YI:B, it's not as predictable" point rather weak?
Well... theres only the ghosts to worry about on YIs so its much easier to cover that as a random option rather than trying to cover the 5439683085 on picto.

From personal experience though Ive seen and had picto cause a lot of matches to be decided, and I can only remember YIs saving me once in germany, and saving like blackwaltz once lol.

How would you go about getting that kind of statistic anyway though?

I'm not defining any norm. I'm stressing the idea of "as balanced as possible." Aerial combat isn't shut down on FD. You see plenty of Aerial combat from the likes of MK/Marth and others on this stage.

Can you really argue the same for ground combat on RC and Brinstar? The entirety of RC is forcing you to move into the air. Brinstar has similar elements: extreme lack of permanent ground space (due to hazards). I'm not going to delve into straight floor and tilted floor because it would complicate the topic and I'm sure someone would bring YI's, a starter stage, into this. So let's not delve into that yet. I think my first reason is strong enough to separate FD from these two stages.

Just address my argument of how FD doesn't limit aerial combat, it just doesn't favor it, but RC and Brinstar limit ground combat and thus should stay as counterpicks compared to FD's starter status.
In fact in many ways FD promotes air combat, due to a lack of platforms characters like Marth and MK (for example) have a really easy time juggling a lot of characters, they virtually have almost no mixups or places to land, and its very easy to just force ledge trapping situations.

While landing the initial hit is harder sometimes due to the opposing character having more space (and perhaps in game this can be deemed more frustrating?), at higher level of play the followups after that hit make it not even worth banning in a lot of matchups.

I think people constantly ban FD many times out of preference or maybe just maining metaknight and not knowing what to ban lol
Otherwise I completely agree with this post and want to see someone explain that without me having to read a wall of text

I have to be honest... me to :glare:

Just out front... Can we stop talking about Pictochat, at least for the moment? IMO there are more important goals, and **** we can all agree on... :glare:
Na chill, that stage is garbage and something needs to be done LOL

Like, you maybe goal wise have to worry about 3 stage, vs 5, vs 20 stage starter sets or whatever and have all of these problems but. Tbh, Ill place anyway - I'm metaknight.

Pictochat however may actually just be like, LOLOLOL RANDOM PLANT ***** SUP and then I get really mad.

If I didn't main MK, I would probably ***** and moan bitterly about needing to win game one to have a chance against an MK in the set (until I realize "oh wait, I have a free counterpick game one"), because these stages are really ****ing good for Metaknight. TBH I've come to like the german way of not having both legal (usually RC gets the boot), because it kind of makes sense, if only because having both legal is very dangerous for the metagame.
Even with their counterpick... you still win the matchup. :glare:

You should have to outskill your opponent to win. I seriously think once you get past this as a player you will develop lmao

To be honest, I think that the most productive thing at this point is not "replace FD with PS1" or something like that, I think it's "Add PS1 and CS/DP/whatever to the starter list". FD (or more precisely, the FD/SV/BF combination) simply isn't as big of an issue with 7 starters. And the more starters you get, the more valid "just strike it" becomes to any "standouts" like CS or PS2... Or, in fact, FD. :laugh: The question of "what's the 7th starter" remains open, sure, but I think just saying "we're going to upgrade to 7" and then figuring out the details is best. Even if you won't place PS2 as a starter, CS is really very balanced (when was the last time you saw it counterpicked in a tournament set? I think DDD even usually goes for FD over CS!), and Delfino provides a nice counterpiece to stages like FD and SV in most matchups.
Im kinda in the middle about this, but overall I see no problems lol. It really does give mk an easy *** time though I have to be honest. Like everything that seemed more even I just get 6:4s (game one... lets not even go on after that lol)

LOL at delfino being balanced with metaknight in the game.

Ice climbers, Diddy, and Falco are the big ones. All three of these characters have FD, SV, and BF among their best stages in pretty much every matchup. And guess what? In this starter list, they can guarantee one of those. Is that really a good thing? It seems to me like it makes the starter list almost inherently dysfunctional if a certain subset of characters can guarantee one of their top stages.
My honest reply to this is... does it really matter though. >_>
Its not like you see those characters winning tournaments that often in American let alone EU metagame. Youre trying to balance something that isnt even broken

inb4japanFD

You can try to air camp, juggle, and chase offstage on FD, it just won't work as well.
Actually this isnt necessarily true at all, and I really feel like this is one of those situations where I want to call out your lack of experience in game but I'll just ignore the thought.

Air camping is inhibited more than the others but tbh, its like. Who cares if people cant time out other people to win, its not even drastically effecting any tournament viable character matchups.
Air camping sucks in the 2011 metagame, and even then its just becoming less and less useful in tournament play.

Juggling and gimping though is actually easier on FD a lot of times though because the lack of landing/recovery options in comparison to other stages, I kinda already explained it well enough in NOIDs quote though.

FD is the very edge of its class. It is the single most "grounded" stage in the game (other than Bridge of Eldin, which is banned). It provides the most extreme advantage to characters who enjoy wide, flat spaces; to characters who specialize in projectile walling; to characters who need long reaches to CG off; to characters who need a lot of space to avoid juggling issues; to characters who can't deal with moving elements/hazards. It's not that hard to figure out... RC and Brinstar are virtually polar opposites to FD. While I will admit that the claim "FD is as bad as RC or Brinstar" (balance-wise) is off-base ever so slightly, "FD is as bad as Frigate" really isn't that far off the mark at all.
For the most part I have no problem with this

Although I think you overestimate said advantage lol. By a lot to

"I can't think of one character that performs abnormally bad on it"... Nope, but I can think of quite a few matchups...
Wario does abnormally bad on it against Dedede
Metaknight does abnormally bad on it against ICs
Ike does abnormally bad on it against Falco...
Wario vs Dedede is probably the most stage dependent matchup in the game. Worst example ever.

LOL metaknight doing bad against anyone anywhere. Sorry no. MK vs ICs is STILL metaknights advantage on that stage.

Ike isnt even considered a tournament viable character, and loses that matchup anyway.
InB4san please LOL.

If Ally mained Ike, he would be San.

Also, despite it being a drunk post, I still stand by it LOL GJ failing to respond. (referencing yesterday/last night)

Edit:
Xyro77[/quote said:
I do really agree with this though, Maybe to a lesser degree. Maybe I'll talk about it next time I make a video VVVVVVVVVV

NNID
Budget_Player
The fact that Xyro is considered a pillar of the community is honestly kind of depressing. :( I mean, it could be worse, we could be listening to M2K, but still... kinda sucks.

EDIT: ****ing live topic not working. Will respond to orion's post shortly.

Life

Smash Hero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master

i completely agree with this. so thus i make this point

INSTEAD of banning both or banning none (meaning lgl or infinites), why not make a stipulation for this specific type of case? make a rule that is like this

IF A CHARACTER CAN INDEFINATELY PERFORM AN INFINTE ON ANOTHER CHARACTER, THEN THE CHARACTER WHO CAN BE INFINITED WILL HAVE HIS LGL IGNORED AND A TIME OUT WIN WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED STALLING DUE TO THE NATURE OF SAID MATCH UP.

now watch, not a single one of you is going to respond to me and just blow me off as some random even tho i just made a completely valid arguement. if you guys do actually respond respond i will suprised as **** that you listen to the not so well known players at all.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Maharba, that rule is horrible. You just said that MK can now plank ICs with no LGL because they have an infinite on him.

Top Bottom