• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Arcansi

Smash Champion
here is the data from one side of the argument. *insert data since dawn of brawl here*

here is the data from the pro ban side. *oh ya, never tried it in a big tourney*
Because T.O.s can't do MK banned tournies because if their region gets out of practice with MK, then noone can go outside their region without said other regions banning MK.

Understand?

Allin

Smash Journeyman
Because T.O.s can't do MK banned tournies because if their region gets out of practice with MK, then noone can go outside their region without said other regions banning MK.

Understand?
Which is why it in-itself shouldn't be a big tournament but a side event at something like KTAR6 which would make it so they can still get practice with the MU if they don't already know it by now.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think its kind of funny that, while Apex won't get its own sticky, all of the current "major tournaments" at the top of the page all have "Apex" in the title.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
For the thing AZ said earlier about sponsers. Dont most people want their ads during the super bowl because it will have the biggest viewing at one time and they wont have to advertise multiple times and shell out more money every time?

So Apex will be watched by probably 80%(made up guess) of the NA smash community and they only have to support 1 tournament 1 time as opposed to having to support 200 different tournaments reaching pretty much the same places

and since APEX would have people from other countries and UNITY is only reaching the US isnt that also another reason they would want to support APEX?

Also LOL at apex getting free advertising from unity tourneys

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
also lol at the unity ruleset for making that no sticky rule. that there is the sole reason i view the bbr-rc as tyrants abusing their power. not necessarily people in the bbr-rc, but the organization as an entity. it really is ****ed up how they did the no sticky rule. honestly it's an underhanded dirty trick and an absolute and total abuse of their power as TOs. im still ashamed i play by this ruleset literally because of that rule alone, but the tourneys i attend use it so i have to support it. the gameplay ruleset is fine for the most part, but seriously the no sticky rule is something i wish they would never have done because i lost a LOT of respect for ALL TOs involved with that rule and they should really be ashamed of themselves. every time im reminded of that rule's very existence, i always think to myself, "wow, the bbr-rc are tyranical fraguts."

seriously it's a disgraceful rule and that is undeniable. i mean think about it, free advertising or not, ****ing APEX isn't stickied. just think about that and then think about the people you are letting boss you around. and while im guilty of playing by this ruleset too (because gameplay wise if you aren't a nitpicky little ***** it's a good ruleset), doesn't change the fact that this one rule imo completely removes a lot of the bbr-rc's credibility as a good organization.

and now that i've posted all that, watch them either:

1. ***** me out
2. try to defend the rule with a lot of sentences that involve words like unity, promote the ruleset, we aren't tyrants, and any synonym to any of this.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
what is apex doing thats different from the unity ruleset anyways?
yes, i havent bothered to read it this early on, its likely to change with the sheer magnitude of stage and mk banning talk happening

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Dayum. Finally caught up. I'm surprised that the MK discussion went this far, but in this thread, it might be hard to lock I guess.

I also wonder what Apex is doing differently.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
As said, the sticky benefits are the incentive to use the ruleset. You have to realize, how many tourneys actually get stickied or featured? Not many...but Unity Ruleset still is being used by those tourneys that probably will never actually get stickied just because they are too small anyway.

Apex does not need sticky or featured benefits. It's Apex, everyone knows about it anyway. Even Alex Strife does not care about those benefits, he knows his tourney will get majorly advertised.

As for Apex rule changes, I believe it just got rid of PS2/Brinstar. Not sure if anything else is changed, though.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I used to not like PS2 and wanted it banned forever

After ACTUALLY TAKING THE TIME to PLAY on PS2 (about a week's range, playing friendlies and ****) i came to the conclusion

PS2 isnt that bad. lrn2playonit

NNID
Budget_Player
i can say i agree with that
IMO, stages like brinstar, picto, ps2 are all borderline CP/ban stages
but as ive been told many times, optional rulings cant be put into the unity ruleset XD
They have to be mad stupid to ban PS2.
Oh look this.

Putting PS2 in the same category as picto or even brinstar is mad stupid. Alex Strife is a gigantic scrub.

NNID
Budget_Player
Protip: it's entirely due to Alex's very, very subjective personal feelings on competitive game design.

I'm going to keep saying "Alex Strife is a scrub" until it stops being accurate, lol. I mean, you can at least argue for brinstar, but PS2? Might as well ban Lylat and PS1 while you're at it.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Japan has a lot of legal stages, actually. Was quite a shock to me when I found out, I can tell you that.

They just don't play on most of them.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just doing an informal poll over on AiB, nothing will likely come from it but I'm curious to where support currently lies about banning MK. Check it out by clicking here.

Allin

Smash Journeyman
Just doing an informal poll over on AiB, nothing will likely come from it but I'm curious to where support currently lies about banning MK. Check it out by clicking here.
Now we don't have to assume about the Pro-Ban/Anti-Ban Ratio anymore which was kinda annoying considering the idea of anti's staying quiet in the whole mess. Thanks alot though AZ.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I excluded double posters and people who expressed pro-ban sentiment for Doubles only, not Singles.

I see 101 yes against 27 no

Okay

NNID
Budget_Player
I can't speak for the man, but wasn't banning PS2 to cater to other regions like Japan?

:phone:
Yep. Same way banning Delfino, RC, and Halberd was.

...Oh waaaiiiit...

Either way, it's a stupid argument because if the japanese aren't willing to adapt to the single most tame counterpick in the history of smash, then they probably suck.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yep. Same way banning Delfino, RC, and Halberd was.

...Oh waaaiiiit...

Either way, it's a stupid argument because if the japanese aren't willing to adapt to the single most tame counterpick in the history of smash, then they probably suck.
the single most tame counterpick in the history of smash is not ps2, not by a long shot
we all know you love this stage, but there are simply more legal stages out there that arent neutral

Allin

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I added them to No.
Numbers are great and all, and im sure they help the BBRC see what the community wants, but what they truly need is support behind some of these Proban tournaments, this No-MK national is the best thing that can happen and not supporting it (or advertising it in someway) would just be silly.

In the words of The Avatar ;P

"Aang: Harsh words won't solve anything, action will."

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Castle Siege comes to mind, but that's only because each transformation helps different characters.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
^ That's probably what (helps make) PS1 worse than PS2.

I would go to to PS1 more because it helps my character more but PS2 is more fair overall.

D

Deleted member

Not to mention the horrid lip on PS1 that messes with some recoveries.

Life

Smash Hero
well by saying 'character bias' you just made my life much easier!
Seige, Delphino (despite how i hate it so), PS1. all pretty even stages in term of character bias
Notice something? All four of these stages (PS1, PS2, CS, DP) are transforming, moving stages. So why do people claim FD/BF/SV are neutral? (Don't say you weren't counting starters as CS and PS1 are both starters)

Top Bottom