• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Yeah, I just realized I misread it. I initially interpreted it as "A revote on SWF will result in a 50-50 split again," then realized my folly right before you posted. My bad.

Just to confirm, you believe a re-vote's results would diverge very far away from 50-50, right?

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
>.> Apparently Apex now has Brinstar, PS2, AND now RC banned from the stage list.

Discuss.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
>.> Apparently Apex now has Brinstar, PS2, AND now RC banned from the stage list.

Discuss.
Delfino should also be banned then imo since it's just as good as Brinstar and RC MK wise imo.

And it's so "extreme" in that it has walk offs, walls, water, transparent stage, and more.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
What we think is not banworthy isn't the same for others.

We gotta compromise. Sure Japan can practice our stages but why force them too?

Just look at this as data to see how much brinstar/RC helps/means nothing for mk

:phone:

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
What we think is not banworthy isn't the same for others.

We gotta compromise. Sure Japan can practice our stages but why force them too?

Just look at this as data to see how much brinstar/RC helps/means nothing for mk

Wait, why do we have to compromise? It's not like the Japanese players are going to refuse to come based on the stage list. If that was the case, Rain & Earth wouldn't have went to Genesis 2. If you're planning on traveling to another tourney in another country, you had better be practicing their ruleset. Expecting that country to cater their ruleset to you is ridiculous.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
>.>

I'm actually going to track down the stagelist japan uses tomorrow.

Just to see what the stages they don't actually play on are.

Also P1 Alex is stealth changing the ruleset -_-

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
???I don't see anything about it in the apex thread, where'd you get this information?
He posted it on FB/Twitter. So unless he changes his mind, that's probably what is going to happen. (Sorry to Alex if this was supposed to be private, but you did not say anything about it being private)

Edit: I think he said he's going to vote on it now.../shrug

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
No idea. Apparently a few people changed his mind to do a vote instead. It doesn't make as much sense to get rid of BOTH of those stages when getting rid of one means the player can just ban the other if they're scared of either one.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Good point on them coming anyways..

Lets just look at this as an Opportunity for data :x

There are MUCH better ways to gather data than using the likely biggest Brawl national to date as a test subject.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I don't mind compromising to the Japanese by taking brinstar off of the list since they are being courteous enough to continue coming down to the U.S. when we don't even go over there, but RC instead of brinstar is pretty ridiculous.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There are MUCH better ways to gather data than using the likely biggest Brawl national to date as a test subject.
This tourney has hype..

If there isn't booing in GF it'll be a step up compared to genesis 2

Lets see how the hype will be..

Hell if there are less MKs in top 8/16, thats some big hype boost.

P1, use your ban on frigate now, you now just don't go to RC, but delfino

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hey all,

Bizkit - its ok I meant it as a way of starting discussion you have nothing to apologize for.

As far as the rule yes it is true I am banning RC / Brin / PS2 for Apex 2012.

I want people to know that myself and the Apex staff have discussed this in great length. This is not to cater to any out of country players but it was an agreement we made collectively.

We felt that those three stages were too extreme to be used in the Apex 2012 event. I, speaking for only myself, expressed that stages like these can possibly take away from who wins and focuses more on the stages themselves.

Thanks for your time and if you want to discuss it I will be trying to keep up with this.

Player-1

Smash Legend
RC definitely doesn't focus more on the stage than the opponent...it just requires you to be aware of it, not much different than deflino in that aspect, having RC banned is the extreme.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'd say banning Ps2 is a bit extreme, but at least you weren't silly enough to ban it while keeping RC/brinstar lega.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Player-1 : I know what you are saying but I will have to disagree. Like I said we made the decision already and we only posted here to let everyone know so it does not become a rumor.

Tesh : Well I won't comment on Ps2 XD

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why not? You are in here, posting. Is it a secret or something?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well I do not think PS2 is a viable stage. I think the transformations take away from how the game is played. I also do not want to get into it for fear of BPC LOL

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Well I do not think PS2 is a viable stage. I think the transformations take away from how the game is played. I also do not want to get into it for fear of BPC LOL
Then you probably need to explain how you think the game should be played, because banning all 3 stages without giving detailed reasons doesn't make you look good. I'm not saying you're wrong, personally as a Snake main I'm happy that I don't have to waste a ban on Brinstar or RC, I have other CPs than PS2 that I use when people ban PS2 against me anyway, but I'm curious as to your full reasoning.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well like I said I felt like it takes away from the game. I am a bit tired so do not mind me being vague, but , I feel that the game should not be based around a stage that can/cannot harm or hurt your chances. I feel those three stages are stages that can hurt you the most in terms of RC's constant moving , Brinstars lava, ps2 transformations.

Its not a long explanation but that is the one I can come up with at 1am lol.

Stingers - I do not have to but people need to hear reasons for everything. Nothing wrong with it I just do not want to explain when I am tired lol.

Player-1

Smash Legend
He doesn't have to do anything, bizkit just said it doesn't make him look very good.

Hurt your chances of what? Winning? Every stage does that. RC is a non random, constant stage, I just don't understand how just because a stage moves does anything to degenerate away from competitive play.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
i think alex doesnt have to defend himself...its his tournament so he can do what he wants with it
Oh he most certainly does need to at the very least come up with a reason. If I were to out of nowhere ban MK at my tourneys, I'm sure all the MK mains would want to know why. I'm not going to be like "It's my tourney, that's why." If you make a ruleset change, it should be backed by a reason, even if the reason isn't that agreeable.

Well like I said I felt like it takes away from the game. I am a bit tired so do not mind me being vague, but , I feel that the game should not be based around a stage that can/cannot harm or hurt your chances. I feel those three stages are stages that can hurt you the most in terms of RC's constant moving , Brinstars lava, ps2 transformations.
Vague reasons indeed, it could be argued that Frigate's random transitioning hurts as well. But you should get into more detail when you're not tired.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I understand ps2 just altering game mechanics from the normal.

I can get brinstar's lava closing part of the stage (even if it is for a short time)

I can get how RC is completely different in terms of gameplay do to the stage moving in a circle.

Ya want the game to focus on there being a main stage/platform that has no altering game mechanics (ice + air stage in ps2) or being completely blocked off (brinstar being submerged in lava and RC's lack of a main stage/platform)

Or i'm not getting it?

Top Bottom