• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If he lives a mile from campus, tell him to walk.

I have to walk a mile to get to the nearest bus stop from my house

He didn't even try to hide the fact he was scum.

You don't give rides to strangers, especially shady ones.

Smash Lord
If he lives a mile from campus, tell him to walk. He didn't even try to hide the fact he was scum.

You don't give rides to strangers, especially shady ones.
I figured this much after the fact. I do need to figure out what I can/should do about the situation though. I would still like to have my cell phone back if possible. If you have any ideas, let me know.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Call the police, that's all you can do

I doubt they can/ will do anything though

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I hate to say it, but this is not a bad argument against helping those who seem in need. There is nothing stopping them from screwing you over. Right now, I'd say that if all you lost was the phone, then it probably isn't worth it to go through the whole ordeal (imo). I'd just bite the bullet and get another.

No good deed goes unpunished. Remember that.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
All you can really do is call the police and learn from this mistake. Honestly the guy could have killed you or something when you gave him a ride. It was a very foolish/risky thing that you did. Be grateful that all you lost out of this was your cell phone.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
No no, I meant that people always get punished for going out of their way to do good things. A pessimistic point of view that I've seen played out more than the optimistic one.

And I'm a guy. *chuckle* The avatar is very misleading, though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
meh, i just do the good deed. because i know i did something good (or tried to) whereas the other person can't say the same if that happens. but if that person genuinely says "thank you" then that's fine.

the only difference is that it makes me feel better. even if a different response made me unhappy, i still attempted to do something good, which is good on my conscience.

Smash Lord
Dismal day. The campus police were significantly more helpful and polite than the real deal. They helped me look through footage and found the guy. I went in to file a police report about it. I ended up waiting a while. I entered right when two people who changed shifts. I got the slower, less pleasant one. The wait was 30-45 minutes with a line of two people. He kept spacing out and wasn't even remotely thorough in writing the police report. I gave him all the info that I had on the guy. He told me that it would be difficult to prosecute. With the information that I had, I wasn't surprised, but it's still a painful fact to hear. Even worse still, he said that even if he was successfully prosecuted I probably wouldn't get my phone back.

He tells me that if I want to try to approach him with a few officers and see if he gives the phone back. I decided to do that and I met two officers at Kmart and tell them the story. We go up to the apartment. I'm expecting to check 1 or 2 doors. It turns out that 1 of those doors just led to the back of the apartment complex. We pretty much just gave up at that point.

To top things off, one of the officers asked me how old I was, followed by, "You should know better." And after that, he continued to lecture me, and tell me all the obvious things I've learned from this whole ordeal like I was a two year old kid. A police officer's job is to take care of things as they happen, not to act as someone's parent. The guy pissed me off way more than the guy who stole my phone. If the guy wasn't a cop, bare minimum, he would have taken a slap to the face, if not been left out cold.

Nothing is going to happen from this. No arrests will be made, no prosecution will occur, and I won't have my cell phone returned.

I've wasted the majority of my day for nothing and likely gave someone else more paperwork. In the end I can solidly say that no benefit came from this. I now have a significant dislike for the police now. The lazy ****ers hardly even try. For every good cop there is 2 lazy ones, a violent one, and 5 *******s.

For any decent police officers reading this, I apologize. My area's PDs has forever prejudiced me against their system.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Alright I need some advice.

I was leaving school today. I left through a side door, walked up the stairs to go out to the parking lot (which runs by the front door). Some guy walks up to me and says he needs a ride home since the bus isn't coming or something along these lines. He looked kind of shady so I was reluctant to do anything. He walks with me out to my car and keeps pleading and I give in at the last second. He said he lived about a mile or so out, so I thought that it wasn't too bad to take him.

We chat on the way there. We talked a bit about music, my car's lack of AC, etc. Initially before going into my car I told him that I was going the opposite direction into downtown Kansas City because I really wan't too interested. Anyway, when get to his house, he asks if he can borrow my cell phone to make a call, so he heads upstairs in the apartment complex while making a call. He comes back out, and realizes that he doesn't have my cell phone, so he goes back up to get it.

When he comes out, he tells me that his uncle is holding onto it and says that he can't have it back for some reason. I ask him if I can talk to his uncle can come out to talk to me. His response was just a roundabout way of saying no. Then he says that his uncle would give it back for some money. At this point, I know that he's screwing me for sure. I just didn't know how he was going to do it until just then. I thought it would have been a little bit more direct but whatever.

Anyway, I went ahead and asked him how much on the off chance that it was something small like 5 bucks. He says 50$. I laugh in the back of my head because the thing isn't even worth half of that, and probably less because I don't like my cell phone in general. I tell him that it's not even worth fifty bucks.
Then he lowers his price to thirty. I show him my empty wallet. He opens up the thing between the two front seats where people keep coins to see if I have any change and asks if I have a lot of quarters. In retrospect this is actually kind of funny. This guy was desperate to try to steal quarters from me. He doesn't see much and puts it back.

At this point I'm impatient and just want to get home. In the meantime, he's trying to get me to go to a gas station for some reason. So I extend the lie about me needing to get to downtown Kansas City and said that I needed to be there in thirty minutes (It takes that long to get there give or take 5 minutes.)because I work then. He let's me go.

Before I left, I told him he could leave it at the music department at the school and I could just pick it up tomorrow. I seriously doubt that he would do this, but if it works, that's awesome.

I called the campus police a little while ago to see if they might be able to pull something off of the security cameras because I was able to give them a fairly reasonable timeframe so that it wasn't too much work. I'll be seeing if I can do anything with it tomorrow.

So this is the story of how I lost my worthless cell phone. I kind of feel sorry for the guy. He just committed a crime for absolutely nothing. It was a disposable cell phone that he probably didn't have a charger for. It's going to be fairly difficult for him to get any use out of it. The only issue is that I still don't have my cell phone. It'd probably be about 20-50$ to get another one. I haven't called the normal police yet and would like to avoid it if possible. The whole process is a hassle, and I'm not fond of the idea of sending someone to jail just because they took a small easily replaceable object.

TL;DR

I lost my cell phone and need to know what to do. Bare minimum read the last paragraph.
First, and this is the only time I will ever do this, I agree with the cop. You should have known better, and I really hope this teaches you to never volunteer anything that could put you in danger.

Yeah, being a good person usually is relatively safe, but this could have gone down REALLY badly. For me, I limit my charity. A few weeks after I moved to ATL, a guy came up to me while I was pumping gas. He had a noticeable black eye, and said "Can I get two dollars? I got jumped not too long ago and I just need to get home." A warning light was flashing in my head and I palmed my keys which have an electrical shearing knife. I said I don't carry cash in the most pleasant way. He then says "What about your debit card?" BOOM, he went straight for a method where he could, realistically, memorize a few numbers and grab my card. I lie, again, as pleasantly as possible, and say I don't carry debit cards and I used a now drained prepaid. He was begging for just $2.

I was dressed pretty nice since I just got off work at the time, and I was clearly a target. If he had the gas to get to a gas station in my area (where crime in general is really low), he had enough to get to a police station which was down the road. Later on, I found out this was a common scam.

Police are not there to stop crimes but to solve crimes. It is up to you to be proactive in protecting yourself. Take this as a learning experience that you didn't lose more.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
TL;DR

I lost my cell phone and need to know what to do. Bare minimum read the last paragraph.
Reading the whole thing, that's kind of scary to think about. In the back of my mind I was imagining all the things that could've potentially went really, really bad. Which fortunately for you, it didn't. After that I think you're more lucky you made it alive to post this instead of getting shot or something, tbh. :p

No, but I never give anything to strangers. During the summer, Meno and I were walking around at night in some area in Colorado, we encountered like, two people that had some pretty well scripted stories (or at least I was convinced they were lying; still, there are some people on the streets that could double as an actor [their primary talent being scamming]). Either way, I just didn't give money. Of course, if it was a threatening situation, I would comply, lol.

But from the looks of it, since you have the police involved you'll probably get your phone back. Or at least have the guy get in trouble hopefully. That does suck though. I swear these people get better and better everyday with their money stealing talents. They're like prostitutes except you don't get anything in return. :(

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I've been getting a sore throat lately and started getting a fever late last night, it sucks since I have to watch what I'm eating and can't talk much because my throat hurt soo much, I'm taking some medicine though, I guess it's due to the weather we're having it's hot during the day but gets a bit breezy at night which I actually hate because I'm am used to being in a certain type of weather and can't adjust to it without getting sick, oh well, I hope I feel bet

:phone:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Use a neti pot. It really helps my bad sore throats and stops my frequent headaches (depending if they are sinus originated or not).

Also, gargle with salt water then eat a spoonful of fresh honey. The honey usually coats the throat and soothes it a bit.

I get attacks like that once or twice a year. The fever is concerning if it is sinus related because that indicates a sinus infection, which if left untreated can kill.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Use a neti pot. It really helps my bad sore throats and stops my frequent headaches (depending if they are sinus originated or not).

Also, gargle with salt water then eat a spoonful of fresh honey. The honey usually coats the throat and soothes it a bit.

I get attacks like that once or twice a year. The fever is concerning if it is sinus related because that indicates a sinus infection, which if left untreated can kill.
Wow, thanks for the advice, I definetly need to fix myself up, I just got some medication as well, I will try that fresh honey thing, for the most part my headache has subsided, all I have is a runny nose and soar throat as well.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wow, thanks for the advice, I definetly need to fix myself up, I just got some medication as well, I will try that fresh honey thing, for the most part my headache has subsided, all I have is a runny nose and soar throat as well.

I had to get a CAT scan yesterday to determine if I get migraines or just REALLY bad sinus headaches. Hoping it is the latter because if I get migraines, they are cluster headaches, which is bad.

In short, I know how bad that can be. Neti pots save my throat so much.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
The nightclub I often go to has been closed down for a month. Should of been opened at the start of September according to the manager. Everyone is still waiting for the grand reopening...:/

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I lost one of my two jobs, the first one laid me off. It was a first shift pest control job that paid 10 an hour. Decent. Second one fired me on Thursday, for honest to goodness insufficient reason. It was a stable, third shift job. Worst part is, they fired me literally 24 hours before I planned to buy a car I found. Then with my luck, several people told me their success stories of moving out and/or getting their first car the day of; without me even mentioning my situation.

Depression.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm discouraged that the weekend is over, and I have another week of my boring job, where I now have to make up somehow for not updating my boss on the progress of my project; still try to find a better job, fix my self destructive vices and satisfy my landlord. *sigh*

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So I have to find a new job because my current one cut everyones hours dramatically and laid off a few people.

I'm stuck in a limbo because I've had this job for well over a year now and I know that if I leave finding another will be hard, but I'm actually making less money than I would if I didn't work at all right now.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I see it's a group of us trying to fix our employment situation. Let's try our best everyone!

Edit: I really don't want to go to work today.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I didn't realize this thread moved so slowly once school is in session(sorry for the double post)

I'm worried that I'm not gonna have a place to live for much longer. My landlord keeps telling me that there is a bad smell coming from my room. I thought I removed all the things that may have been causing odor, but it's still a problem for him. I'm gonna wash everything I have hopefully by the end of the day, and if he says it's still a problem I'll tell him that it's not coming from my room. I just hope I'm not given my 30 days notice before I can complete this. Right now I'm even afraid to get out of my room, because I don't want to confront him and for the ''smell'' to come out of my room.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I hate filling out my time-sheet all at once, and yet I keep doing it. I feel like such a cheating liar. I mean I as in fact working at the time, but I didn't get go much done. Maybe I'm giving my supervisors too much credit though, sometimes I feel like they're not doing a lot of work everyday. And at the very least I'm completing work this week.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I dunno why, but seeing droves of college girls dressed in really revealing clothing the moment the sun comes out all the time is kind of depressing.

Well, I guess I know why, and it's a little irritating. Of course, complaining about girls dressed skimpily is the first way to have my proof of manhood revoked (along with maining Peach, but that's a different story), but I just find it...pathetic.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dunno why, but seeing droves of college girls dressed in really revealing clothing the moment the sun comes out all the time is kind of depressing.

Well, I guess I know why, and it's a little irritating. Of course, complaining about girls dressed skimpily is the first way to have my proof of manhood revoked (along with maining Peach, but that's a different story), but I just find it...pathetic.
Modesty in clothing didn't exist for thousands of years after mankind had developed civilizations

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I don't see what's pathetic about it. Jeans shorts are actually more comfortable than long Jeans, and it's the only time they'll be able to wear it. The fall is the period to express yourself through your clothing because for most of the school year you won't be able to.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see what's pathetic about it. Jeans shorts are actually more comfortable than long Jeans, and it's the only time they'll be able to wear it. The fall is the period to express yourself through your clothing because for most of the school year you won't be able to.
I disagree, I find all forms of shorts uncomfortable

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone realize that slenderman would look exactly like nergal from billy and mandy if he didn't have eyes?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
I love you for this. If you're referencing what I think you are, then I love you for this so much right now.

Although, if you're walking through tall grass, then don't your legs itch?

On a more serious note, you are entitled to wear whatever you want. And there is no such thing as decency outside of our notions of what the world should be, I agree with this, too. I probably shouldn't even whine about it, cause what they wear has nothing to do with me.

Still...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is some people that should cover up, regardless of what they think is comfortable. What is seen, cannot be unseen...

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I disagree, I find all forms of shorts uncomfortable
You find it physically uncomfortable or socially uncomfortable? I never were shorts because I don't like the way my legs look. I've heard that a lot of guys don't like wearing shorts simply because jeans are cooler or more 'sexy'. It's kinda the opposite for girls.

Edit: I wished this thread moved faster, I want to hear about others people problems :(

Edit2: No Redd. This is the right place for your post. I'm sorry for your loss. Such an event is truly life changing, I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
My Mom passed away on January 9th of brain cancer. I still have really bad days, and I know that that's normal. She was 56 years old.

I remember when she bought me my gamecube for my 11th birthday. She woke me up early for school the next day so I could have a chance to play it a little more since we opened presents late-ish. That night she sat and played melee with me for a good while (with items and all of course... this was way back) She used DK, haha.

I'm only 20 years old... and I feel like I have a huge gap in my soul. She was my best friend. I only wished I could've properly said goodbye to her, because she went into a coma three days before she passed.

I'm doing counseling and stuff here at school, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. Everything changed just like that.

Just thought I'd share, I'm up and can't sleep as usual. Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, I'll get rid of it. I just needed to get it out a little.

Top Bottom