• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

John2k4

The End of an Era
Well, it branches out really fast, especially since I was trying to research texture issues for some 3D models (but that's a different thread :p )

Common websites (boards, Pandora, etc.) - 3-5 tabs
Google Search -> 3-4 tabs of results -> 1-2 tabs each of responses, possible fixes... ends up sometimes coming to around 20 tabs if I get engrossed in it.
Tabs that I don't want to bookmark, but know I might need later - 3-5

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I remember having 78 tabs open at once for a while of just stuff. The inevitable happened, and I learned my lesson and consolidated to a modest 56. It happened again, and I eventually switched to Chrome. Right now, I am surfing with 16, and I will reduce that before I head to work.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I never have more than like.. 1-3 tabs open lol :x
For some reason I just really don't like having multiple tabs unless they are absolutely necessary. Atm the only tab I have is this thread. The most I've ever had is like 5 :bee:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm so upset and disheartened that I don't even want to post about it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I wish I was more motivated. I know people who go out and do things every day, who are always willing to try things and meet people. A friend of mine is a personal trainer at a gym, a MMA fighter, a manager of a band, a drug dealer, and has time to raise a boy, go rock climbing, go to other states, etc. I'm just not like that. It is a huge burden to do things that involve other people for me. A lot of the time I don't even want to move. Life is so boring but it's my fault.

Mostly I don't mind. I like to be alone the majority of the time, but I need networking skills in the industry I'm trying to get into, and networking is my biggest weakness.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Be who you want to be. Weigh your desires, if you think you will be happier going in a certain direction, then do it, if not, don't worry about it. It never hurts to experiment with things in life, especially if you see some advantages from it, like networking ;)

I usually never went out, but this summer I got a lot more in touch with my friends, and I ended hanging out with different people every night, and It was a very fun summer...it just sucks cause school started!! :)

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I wish I was more motivated. I know people who go out and do things every day, who are always willing to try things and meet people. A friend of mine is a personal trainer at a gym, a MMA fighter, a manager of a band, a drug dealer, and has time to raise a boy, go rock climbing, go to other states, etc. I'm just not like that. It is a huge burden to do things that involve other people for me. A lot of the time I don't even want to move. Life is so boring but it's my fault.

Mostly I don't mind. I like to be alone the majority of the time, but I need networking skills in the industry I'm trying to get into, and networking is my biggest weakness.
I'm like this. The best solution for me was having friends who will do the networking for you. I know a couple of people who do a lot of stuff. They'll usually ask me if I'm interested, whether it's for work-related or social stuff. It's easier to be motivated and active when someone else does it for you. I'd probably waste away in my room forever otherwise.

I guess having friends like that counts as networking itself though? I dunno.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
bleghhhh feeling sick and school starts in 3 days. i hope i get better soon
Get well soon. :)

I need to go out more, but stupid job makes me too tired, therefore I sleep literally all morning and wake up around 3 P.M., later I'll watch some tv, go on SWF, eat, take a little nap, go to work, for the most part I don't mind so much but I would really like to change and break this routine, it's a bit repetative. >.<

:phone:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Write it on a piece of paper. Then, when you man up, post it. If it's alright with you.
Maybe later.

Well if it's for your job then and it really shouldn't matter if you like to network or not, and it shouldn't matter if you like to be alone, You don't need to like to network in to network. Just go out there be friendly, be cool, be helpful and you'll network. It takes some effort to go out and start a conversation with strangers, but if your aim is to network and not to make friends then it should be easy enough to motivate yourself. You just need to remember why you're trying to network in the first place, you're trying to better your future.

I am like you in that I prefer to be by myself, and for a long time now it's been something identify with and it may even be something I'm proud. However I'm ready and willing to network when I need to. I wise person once told me that networking is like putting money in the bank, you put your deposit in now so that you can cash that check later. You got to think of it like that, making it a calculating endeavor.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Maybe later.

Well if it's for your job then and it really shouldn't matter if you like to network or not, and it shouldn't matter if you like to be alone, You don't need to like to network in to network. Just go out there be friendly, be cool, be helpful and you'll network. It takes some effort to go out and start a conversation with strangers, but if your aim is to network and not to make friends then it should be easy enough to motivate yourself. You just need to remember why you're trying to network in the first place, you're trying to better your future.

I am like you in that I prefer to be by myself, and for a long time now it's been something identify with and it may even be something I'm proud. However I'm ready and willing to network when I need to. I wise person once told me that networking is like putting money in the bank, you put your deposit in now so that you can cash that check later. You got to think of it like that, making it a calculating endeavor.
Yeah. I'm slowly getting used to forcing myself to go out and put myself out there. Sites like facebook are totally invaluable and convenient. I've gotten so many opportunities through facebook of all places, and it's because I put myself out there and connect with people with similar interests and mindsets.

Sariku

Smash Master
My car broke down and I'm having a lot of issues getting to work every day, using friends and family. So.

I'm unhappy about that. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I was checking up on things on the internet earlier and saw something that brought a problem which has been in the back of my mind constantly to the very forefront, basically making me want to break down.

It's been a problem which I've not been able to talk about as it is (thus the ridiculous vagueness of this post), and to make matters worse I feel unable to even express any sort of deeper feeling around the guys in my suite because I haven't even known them for two weeks yet (just moved into college), not to mention that whole thing where if you're a male, emotions aren't allowed to exist. Which is the best part, since I have to go from being on the border of a mental breakdown to laughing, smiling, and joking in half a second.

I'm this close to wanting to call my sister up and talk to her, since she told me to feel free to text or call anytime if I wanted to talk, and we're really close, but I don't really feel able to talk about it with her either.

Not that I don't want to talk about it, I just can't do that without inciting a huge cluster**** of people not understanding and judging me, and I'd rather be like this than throw a ton of **** into the fan.

Ugh.

/vague mini-rant

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Yeah. I'm slowly getting used to forcing myself to go out and put myself out there. Sites like facebook are totally invaluable and convenient. I've gotten so many opportunities through facebook of all places, and it's because I put myself out there and connect with people with similar interests and mindsets.
Great. I think you'll find the more you try, the easier it becomes.

On an unrelated note: I just realized that my resume header on Monster.com is screwed up. When it comes to anything relating to me getting a new/better job something is always ****ed up. It's upsetting.

OmegaXXII

My car broke down and I'm having a lot of issues getting to work every day, using friends and family. So.

I'm unhappy about that. Hopefully it's fixed soon.
Funny, I had this issue about 2 months ago, it sucks when I have to depend on other to drive me there, especially when I'm waiting to be picked up after work, it's a hassle to wait over 20 minutes just to get on your ride, one time I got so frustrated with it that I decided to take a taxi, though that would have turned out to be expensive since I generally live 30 away from work.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I hate Motorola.

I got my Xoom back. The one issues I had was it wouldn't charge with any charger I had (bought a new one to make sure that wasn't it). I say "wouldn't charge" in that it would charge if the wires were twisted at weird angles. I check it today. Doesn't charge in ANY angle. So, now, I have to call and ***** them out for not only not fixing my tablet but making it considerably worse. What a terrible company.

Amazon is releasing a tablet in the next two months. I am getting that. This is the third device I got from Moto, the other two being Droid Xs, and they failed at around a year. This one didn't even really last 4 months.

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
I just graduated from college last year with a BSBA in finance and still don't have a job, though I've applied to a ton of places. I had a 3.46/4.0 GPA, some good references from my previous 3 jobs, but I haven't been hired due to not being willing to lie on a LIMRA test, and the fact it seems that if you want to become a financial analyst, (what I'm good at), you must first be a successful salesperson, which is an entirely different skill set and job type.

My car is broken down and I can't afford to replace it.

My dad just had heart problems that require him to have a pacemaker, which doesn't allow him to go to work at his old job anymore because his job was in welding and metalwork and the equipment messes with his pacemaker.

All my friends from college basically don't talk to me anymore cause they have their own lives to live, and my brother and sister are both now back to college so it's pretty dull here.

There's a lot more but that's all I'll vent for now. Could be worse though, at least I have my health and relative youth, (23 years old)

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I just graduated from college last year with a BSBA in finance and still don't have a job, though I've applied to a ton of places. I had a 3.46/4.0 GPA, some good references from my previous 3 jobs, but I haven't been hired due to not being willing to lie on a LIMRA test, and the fact it seems that if you want to become a financial analyst, (what I'm good at), you must first be a successful salesperson, which is an entirely different skill set and job type.

My car is broken down and I can't afford to replace it.

My dad just had heart problems that require him to have a pacemaker, which doesn't allow him to go to work at his old job anymore because his job was in welding and metalwork and the equipment messes with his pacemaker.

All my friends from college basically don't talk to me anymore cause they have their own lives to live, and my brother and sister are both now back to college so it's pretty dull here.

There's a lot more but that's all I'll vent for now. Could be worse though, at least I have my health and relative youth, (23 years old)
Have you had any professional experience at all? Like even as an intern?

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
Nope, a company hired me to be an intern, gave me a day to start, and then called me up and revoked the internship cause they said, "we aren't hiring any interns this year". That's my other work related issue, no internship.

LIMRA's been a bigger problem though on the job front, at Prudential, I was told that I tested in the top 15-20% of all people HIRED on the aptitude test, but since my personality profile didn't have a great score, (due to chronic honesty or close to it on my part when I take them) they weren't even going to consider me. I've taken multiple LIMRA tests and just can't advance past it because I won't lie about my strengths and weaknesses to a nauseating degree.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Nope, a company hired me to be an intern, gave me a day to start, and then called me up and revoked the internship cause they said, "we aren't hiring any interns this year". That's my other work related issue, no internship.

LIMRA's been a bigger problem though on the job front, at Prudential, I was told that I tested in the top 15-20% of all people HIRED on the aptitude test, but since my personality profile didn't have a great score, (due to chronic honesty or close to it on my part when I take them) they weren't even going to consider me. I've taken multiple LIMRA tests and just can't advance past it because I won't lie about my strengths and weaknesses to a nauseating degree.
Is there a reason you won't lie on the test? In life sometimes you need to be dishonest. I can understand not lieing about qualifications, somemay find it old fasioned but I do think it's wrong to cheat your employer by being lieiing about your expertise.

But something like a personality test? Such things shouldn't be a part of the hiring process anyways, lie about it. If you feel bad then just do great work when they hire you to make up for it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Learn to lie or give up. You'll realize very fast that few companies value individuals.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
As a corollary to CK's point: Find an employer who DOES care about individuals and develop a serious relationship with them. Give them your all, and give as much credit as you can to your supervisor. You may find yourself in a position you can hold long-term, working for a guy who knows that keeping you around makes him look good.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Had to take the Rosenburg Self-Esteem Test in Psychology.
Scored an 8 out of 30.
:(

Gatlin

I feel as if I have changed as a person, such as my attitude and concerns, and it seems like it came at complete random really. I never used to feel the way I do now, and it's for the worse in my opinion.

OmegaXXII

Learn to lie or give up. You'll realize very fast that few companies value individuals.
It's sad to say, but I find this very true.

Seeing from my past jobs experiences i'd say very few people actually genuinely care about their employees in this somewhat grim world we live in.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I feel as if I have changed as a person, such as my attitude and concerns, and it seems like it came at complete random really. I never used to feel the way I do now, and it's for the worse in my opinion.
I forgot who said it, but if you look back at yourself from five years ago, and feel like you would hang out with that person, then you are a failure because that means, in general, you didn't change much. Look at it as a positive if you can.

It's sad to say, but I find this very true.

Seeing from my past jobs experiences i'd say very few people actually genuinely care about their employees in this somewhat grim world we live in.
For like nearly two years I couldn't find a job in my career. I had to move three states to get it. This was all because I lacked experience.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I forgot who said it, but if you look back at yourself from five years ago, and feel like you would hang out with that person, then you are a failure because that means, in general, you didn't change much. Look at it as a positive if you can.
This is actually really good advice, thanks. Definitely keeping this valuable gem.

Gatlin

Agreed with Air.
That's pretty interesting to think about, but it is a good point. Thanks.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think that quote/advice is horrendous, actually. I think it's stupid to even think of a "self" as if that is going to be the same thing from day to day, or even moment to moment. There is no true self. People are transient, just like everything else.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I think it only meant that you should strive to constantly evolve yourself into a better person by improving yourself in little ways. Or at least, that's what I gleaned from the quote.

I'm still trying to adjust to the new school I transferred to but I continue to have bouts of depression and unusual stress that keeps me from functioning properly.

It's like having a deep gash in your leg that won't go away, it's just consistently bothering me and I haven't felt truly happy in about two weeks now.

This was the worst decision I've made thus far in my life.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Interesting.

I've changed so much over the last 5 years. In most ways, it was for the better. I know I'm a happier person today. But I still feel sad when I think about how much I've changed. There's some aspects of myself that I miss.

OmegaXXII

Interesting.

I've changed so much over the last 5 years. In most ways, it was for the better. I know I'm a happier person today. But I still feel sad when I think about how much I've changed. There's some aspects of myself that I miss.
Yes, that's pretty much me as well, I used to hang out with "the wrong crowd" all the time, but after 5 years I've completly changed the way I act and dress, although like you said, I do miss being a punk sometimes, some mischief I guess.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah. I like the idea behind it, but I don't like the "if such and such, YOU'RE A FAILURE". No advice should have that phrase in there.
It's not advice as much as an assessment. Every day, you gain new experiences and such, so if you haven't changed enough significantly in 5 years, what have you been doing?

Case in point: a guy who I went to high school with added me on Facebook. First thing we do is talk about the high school times, but then, when I start talking about my life since then (I graduated over 6 years ago) he is saying he would give anything for that time back. His peak was at the ages of 16-18, and now, he is barely different from when I knew him then. I have seen a few people like this, and it is testament that that quote was on to something.

Top Bottom