• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Strife

Banned via Warnings
It's not advice as much as an assessment. Every day, you gain new experiences and such, so if you haven't changed enough significantly in 5 years, what have you been doing?

Case in point: a guy who I went to high school with added me on Facebook. First thing we do is talk about the high school times, but then, when I start talking about my life since then (I graduated over 6 years ago) he is saying he would give anything for that time back. His peak was at the ages of 16-18, and now, he is barely different from when I knew him then. I have seen a few people like this, and it is testament that that quote was on to something.
I get what you're trying to say, but the way you worded it makes you come off as almost stupid. That assessment relies on the assumption that while you should have changed for the better, the people you hung out with 5 years ago have not. And that's just ********.

Anyways I'm out here in the field, and my partner and I(mostly her) didn't log the field data right, so now I'm here correcting everything on my own, before I finish what we were supposed to complete yesterday. I'm upset, with myself but also that I didn't get a competent partner. We would have gotten so much done if my supervisor hired someone who wants to do this work instead of her friend.

Edit: I'm not sure this belongs in the unhappy thread, and I'll probably post a similar message in the happy thread; but I met up with an old friend of mine for the first time in over a year. We were really close(or rather she was especially close to me); she was extremely nice to me. She is an older woman and she figuratively adopted me, she bought quite a few things and she worked really hard to get me a job last summer. I never actually got a job from her, but she did her best and I wasn't worth hiring at that time anyways.

We broke contact, because I lost my phone and therefore lost all my numbers(I could have gotten her number back had I tried hard enough), and during that time she went through an awful divorce and her kidneys failed so she had to have surgery and is now on medication. I feel awful, I should have been there for her(the one good thing is that I did learn from this and this summer I did keep in contact with all my friends, especially those who had been really nice to me); anyways we met up today and she's still as keen on helping me out as she was before. She is really loving, and she really loves me. I don't deserve the help that she is gonna give me, but still I'm grateful. I guess at this point there is nothing I can do but try and be a better person, and try to be worthy of other people's efforts(it's not just her, older women have been helping me out a lot this past year) *sigh*

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I get what you're trying to say, but the way you worded it makes you come off as almost stupid. That assessment relies on the assumption that while you should have changed for the better, the people you hung out with 5 years ago have not. And that's just ********.
You definitely read it wrong. It's saying if you would hang out with yourself from 5 years ago, you haven't improved or changed at all so you are stagnant. You are not progressing or going anywhere.

It has nothing to do with other people.

On topic: I have to get a CAT Scan and the doctor gave me migraine pills. The headache I had went away a bit, so that means I get migraines, he said. I really don't want to have that formal diagnosis.

Palpi

Smash Hero
What I disagree about your statement Crimson King is...

just because I am vastly different than 5 years ago doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't hang out with myself 5 years ago. I understand what you are saying, and in a sense I agree with you, just maybe use a different type of similar example. I am always changing how I think and how I act, present myself, with every new experience, but you almost make it seem like I should be ashamed of myself 5 years ago, which I am not. :awesome:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
On topic: I have to get a CAT Scan and the doctor gave me migraine pills. The headache I had went away a bit, so that means I get migraines, he said. I really don't want to have that formal diagnosis.

Migraines suck, I've been though those in the past, thought I don't usually have them anymore, just some minor headaches from time to time, pills tend to ease up the pain, then I'll go to sleep and it tends to subside once I wake up.

:phone:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You definitely read it wrong. It's saying if you would hang out with yourself from 5 years ago, you haven't improved or changed at all so you are stagnant. You are not progressing or going anywhere.

It has nothing to do with other people.

"progress", "going somewhere" and "failure" are things that are defined by other people. that's the biggest problem with it. Nobody besides yourself can determine if you are "progressing" in life. What is progression? What is "going somewhere"? Your answer is not the same as someone else's. It's pretty much a presumptuous, oversimplified and condescending thing to say all around. Is staying the same really an inherently "bad" thing?

RATED

Smash Lord
<.< I hate family stuff, specially when is kinda forced and involves Dad's family( he has his own family)
------------------

I NEVER be a "family man", Never. I don't want to have kids and force them into doing things they don't want.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
<.< I hate family stuff, specially when is kinda forced and involves Dad's family( he has his own family)
------------------

I NEVER be a "family man", Never. I don't want to have kids and force them into doing things they don't want.
I like this. A lot. And agree. A lot.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
*sigh* more friendship problems. I now have to send a very long and detailed message on FB to my friend, catering to her ridiculous oversensitivity, and try to fix the issue between us again. Chances are this friendship isn't going to work, no matter what I do I can't please her and she always gets upset in the end. But because I love her, I'll keep trying

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yeah, my parents took me to visit my brother, and even though I don't see my brother often there is nothing fun we can do together as a family. I love my family, but I just don't have many interests, pretty much only music, Melee, and philosophy. Something that would please me, wouldn't please the rest of my family. It just sucks cause my dad pays for me to be bored :/

I'm not trying to come off as spoiled, I and grateful for my family and everything they have inspired in me and how they helped me become who I am today, just, family vacations need to stop happening. :awesome:

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, it's like even though my interests go one way, if my parents don't agree with them (which they rarely do) then I end up going somewhere and being bored, cause it's something I'm "supposed to like, since the family does."

But it's not like I like them anyways, so that doesn't help.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My parents never made me do anything I didn't want to (Except the cliche: Clean your room, etc.). I have no clue what "Family Things" could possibly be

Jasou

Smash Ace
i don't really mind my family, they don't make me do that much stuff, but i really hate my cousins on my dad's side. they are all jerks -_-. however my cousins on my mom's side are really nice, its strange that they are opposite

OmegaXXII

I pretty much hate doing stuff with my family too.
This was pretty much when I started going to high school, since I had friends and I was actually "cool" I wanted to hang out more with them than my actual family who did nothing but go to cousins house which was pretty boring after a while, thank goodness I grew out of that, now I'm as free as the wind can take me, it's great.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
It looks I may have just lost another one of my closest friends(she says she ''wants a break''), I'm a bit disappointed but not too sad. I tried my best to fix the problems between us. She and I are very far apart, she is perhaps the most hypersensitive person I have ever met(that's saying a lot), and I am extremely not sensitive.

We'll see what happens I guess.

Edit: It would be really easy for me to sit here and blame her for the breakdown of our friendship but I don't want to do that. Yeah, the reason we've had so much problems is because of hypersensitivity, but even so there is quite a bit I could have done prevented this as well. I starting to learn that maybe I am insensitive. My feelings are very hard to hurt. In fact since college the only thing that has ever hurt my feelings are when people I love imply that I don't care about me so much. Even if my closest friends think I'm selfish, disgusting, gay, stupid, pathetic, whatever I wouldn't be upset. I know I'm not these things so if they think this about me then I'd just inquire why and then try to persuade them how they're wrong about me(presuming I care enough to do that), however I think I've failed to realize how unique this quality of mine is. Other people tend to care what other people think about them a lot(especially their friends) and just because I tell someone something that would never upset me, doesn't mean that they're necessarily in the wrong for getting upset by it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the habit of saying mean things to my friends. But I can be very critical(critical, not judgmental), it doesn't bother some of my friends, while it bothers some of them a lot. I guess it something I need to work on.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It seems selfish of me not to upload a picture of myself for my FB profile if my long distances friends say that they would like to see me, right?

But I hate the way I look, in pictures and in general. I hate it to the point of never wanting to take pictures. So...blegh.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Work changed the rota yesterday and never told me, so I turned up for work today 20 minutes early and I wasn't actually supposed to be in. It's a bit annoying I have to admit.

It seems selfish of me not to upload a picture of myself for my FB profile if my long distances friends say that they would like to see me, right?

But I hate the way I look, in pictures and in general. I hate it to the point of never wanting to take pictures. So...blegh.
I used to be camera shy too but I'm not anymore. You'll grow used to the way you look.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I missed a call for my landlord this morning, and he sent me a text that I can't read. I'm afraid he is about to give me my 30 days notice :urg:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

My picture on facebook is a character from starcraft

How is it selfish at all? It's your profile

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, it's just that we're best friends, and I guess she'd like to see me sometimes, cause we can't actually be in the same space. And I kinda understand it, but at the same time, it makes me feel uncomfortable looking at a picture of myself.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Well, it's just that we're best friends, and I guess she'd like to see me sometimes, cause we can't actually be in the same space. And I kinda understand it, but at the same time, it makes me feel uncomfortable looking at a picture of myself.
Is my understanding correct that you have no pictures of yourself on fb?

If that's the case then just upload a pic in some random photo album and don't look at it(it doesn't need to be your profile pic). Just upload the pic from her, and don't look at it if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Nope, you're right. But fixing that is a whole different issue that I wouldn't know how to begin.

Jasou

Smash Ace
i am sad that i will no longer be able to walk home from school with my best friend anymore and it's all because the school suddenly said that they have to change his schedule due to, too much new people coming in and it would be impossible for them to change it. sometimes i think our school is a little unorganized with people's schedules. but sadface i always looked forward to talking to him after school:(

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Nope, you're right. But fixing that is a whole different issue that I wouldn't know how to begin.
If you two are truly best friends and you care about her, then at the very least I think you owe it to her to explain why you insist on not putting up any pics of yourself.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Um...what is that?

EDIT: Also, yeah Strife, I should explain it to her in more detail than I have. That's the first step. Thanks.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The fact I've gone a whole year without a college class is stressing me out.

I need to get back in, but am depressed I missed the financial aid time.

Last year I wasn't eligible for financial aid, this year I am but I missed it.

Not to mention I STILL am not certain as to what should be my degree (Correction I AM certain what I want, I'm not certain I can get ANY decent job with it)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What degree?

With my eye issues, you'd think I'd get a break, but last night I noticed a white bump one the whites of my bad eye. I plan to go to the eye doctor tomorrow, but it feels like I can't catch a break.

To prove that, my laptop told me I only had 8GB left. That's impossible since I barely use this computer for anything but surfing. Using some terminal commands, I managed to find out my user folder has 115GB, which makes no sense at all. I restarted last night, and I lost all 20 of my tabs (I know, I know). It looks like I may have to do a reinstall...

I hate computer issues so much.

OmegaXXII

No kidding, my computer is soo old that it's a hassle to even open up my web browser, it's soo slow and I always get a black screen everytime I turn it on, I hate it when people want to get on Skype but I end up not going due to my computer being so slow, it's sad. :c

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm really disappointed with myself for falling back into old habbits I promise I'd break. I even promise God I'd break it and I haven't. I have no faith in myself anymore.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What degree?

With my eye issues, you'd think I'd get a break, but last night I noticed a white bump one the whites of my bad eye. I plan to go to the eye doctor tomorrow, but it feels like I can't catch a break.

To prove that, my laptop told me I only had 8GB left. That's impossible since I barely use this computer for anything but surfing. Using some terminal commands, I managed to find out my user folder has 115GB, which makes no sense at all. I restarted last night, and I lost all 20 of my tabs (I know, I know). It looks like I may have to do a reinstall...

I hate computer issues so much.
My degree is in Media Design. It's not 100% what I want, but it's probably as close to any as I can find

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I'm really disappointed with myself for falling back into old habbits I promise I'd break. I even promise God I'd break it and I haven't. I have no faith in myself anymore.
Don't stop believing! You got this man.

Does it happen to have anything to do with your sig? Hahah. Just assuming. If so though... it's possible, but really tough and takes a lot of time and dedication. Our bodies build an addiction to the hormones being released, so we just need to keep ourselves out of the situation of 1.) being alone and 2.) having nothing to do. The temptation is just too great if that is the case.

If it's something else... then... hahahah my bad.

Smash Lord
Alright I need some advice.

I was leaving school today. I left through a side door, walked up the stairs to go out to the parking lot (which runs by the front door). Some guy walks up to me and says he needs a ride home since the bus isn't coming or something along these lines. He looked kind of shady so I was reluctant to do anything. He walks with me out to my car and keeps pleading and I give in at the last second. He said he lived about a mile or so out, so I thought that it wasn't too bad to take him.

We chat on the way there. We talked a bit about music, my car's lack of AC, etc. Initially before going into my car I told him that I was going the opposite direction into downtown Kansas City because I really wan't too interested. Anyway, when get to his house, he asks if he can borrow my cell phone to make a call, so he heads upstairs in the apartment complex while making a call. He comes back out, and realizes that he doesn't have my cell phone, so he goes back up to get it.

When he comes out, he tells me that his uncle is holding onto it and says that he can't have it back for some reason. I ask him if I can talk to his uncle can come out to talk to me. His response was just a roundabout way of saying no. Then he says that his uncle would give it back for some money. At this point, I know that he's screwing me for sure. I just didn't know how he was going to do it until just then. I thought it would have been a little bit more direct but whatever.

Anyway, I went ahead and asked him how much on the off chance that it was something small like 5 bucks. He says 50$. I laugh in the back of my head because the thing isn't even worth half of that, and probably less because I don't like my cell phone in general. I tell him that it's not even worth fifty bucks.
Then he lowers his price to thirty. I show him my empty wallet. He opens up the thing between the two front seats where people keep coins to see if I have any change and asks if I have a lot of quarters. In retrospect this is actually kind of funny. This guy was desperate to try to steal quarters from me. He doesn't see much and puts it back.

At this point I'm impatient and just want to get home. In the meantime, he's trying to get me to go to a gas station for some reason. So I extend the lie about me needing to get to downtown Kansas City and said that I needed to be there in thirty minutes (It takes that long to get there give or take 5 minutes.)because I work then. He let's me go.

Before I left, I told him he could leave it at the music department at the school and I could just pick it up tomorrow. I seriously doubt that he would do this, but if it works, that's awesome.

I called the campus police a little while ago to see if they might be able to pull something off of the security cameras because I was able to give them a fairly reasonable timeframe so that it wasn't too much work. I'll be seeing if I can do anything with it tomorrow.

So this is the story of how I lost my worthless cell phone. I kind of feel sorry for the guy. He just committed a crime for absolutely nothing. It was a disposable cell phone that he probably didn't have a charger for. It's going to be fairly difficult for him to get any use out of it. The only issue is that I still don't have my cell phone. It'd probably be about 20-50$ to get another one. I haven't called the normal police yet and would like to avoid it if possible. The whole process is a hassle, and I'm not fond of the idea of sending someone to jail just because they took a small easily replaceable object.

TL;DR

I lost my cell phone and need to know what to do. Bare minimum read the last paragraph.

Top Bottom