• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the top players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
Speak for yourself Pierce. I think Hbox has tonnes of potential, tactical smarts and his style is by far one of the most efficient. This is not a fanboy speaking, either. Once Hbox reaches his next skill plateau, we shall see the true ferocity of Jigglypuff. I shudder to think of all the back airs and perfectly timed rests. And then... Jiggs will be banned.

That will be Hbox's legacy.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
lol Pierce, you don't know what you're talking about. You say that Hungrybox plays sooo gay that he can't be a "champion" or whatever, but do you realize that the majority of the other "champions" are/were gay as fuuuuuck?

Mango's falco- all he does is safely space aerials against your shield and waits for a shield poke or a baited grab. There's not much you can do about it. It's really gay because of how safe it is. People just don't see the gayness behind it because once Falco pokes through the shield, he does some pretty flashy combos.

Mew2king- his Marth and sheik are like the definition of gay. no explanation needed here.

Ken- he was actually really gay for his time, it's just that Marth's edgeguarding game hadn't fully developed back then, so people overlooked it.

koreanDJ- all this guy did was shine spike with fox looooll. but really, his fox and his sheik were really innovative and flashy, but he was still gay.

dr. peepee- apparently he is considered one of the most defensive falcos in the nation. that's like brawl-gay right there.

jman- he runs away and lasers, like a good fox main should. that's all he pretty much does too.

chudat- he mains the gayest character in existence. Ice climbers is all about camping for grabs and then 0-deathing them with the chain grabs.

So why is Hungrybox considered so gay that he can't ever reach "champion" status? Well, in your (Pierce's) mind, it's because of the way he plays. However, you have to realize that the way that Hungrybox plays is probably the most efficient/safest/smartest way to play Jigglypuff. It's not entirely Hungrybox's fault that he plays gay, it's just that his character forces him to do so. Jigglypuff isn't a flashy character to make up for it, so people have nothing to look past, such as Falco's combos.

also wtf is this:
No, merely removed enough to say what many others think, but would never admit to.
apparently you're removed enough to not know what's going on in the community. Hbox was threatening to quit by all the **** he was getting for his playstyle (this was after pound 4 grand finals)

And before you say "Well if Mango can make puff not gay, then Hbox could do it too", or something to that extent, you have to realize that Mango's style is not the most efficient. Mango is just the smartest player, so he can fall back on something. Remember how Mango's Jiggs lost to Kage's Ganondorf? Hbox would've destroyed Kage (sorry Kage <3) because Hbox plays the matchup efficiently and properly.

So basically everyone plays the game really gay, it's just that Hbox's character makes it seem 10x gayer compared to the other characters. Seriously... Melee is a gay game lol. Except for captain falcon.

Armada

Smash Lord
Fun thread but the answers is a little bit bad.

The first time someone of the top players came to USA was me at Genesis.
Before that Ek and Amsah **** the smash community in Europe.
Summer 2006 to April 2009 had Amsah a winning streak and that is really good.

When Amsah played in that tournament he lost he was very rusty and the first tournament he was back was a tournament in holland in December one month before Pound4 and he still place 3th.

That is impossible to compare USA and Europe the first years because we never played.

M2k: "on a good day" i can say i can play much better to. Actually i was sick the days before pound4 and i didn´t feel god because i was sick and that was a bad sign.

But that is johns to and everyone have a bad day but after pound4 and Genesis i have read comments from you about me and that sounds like you underestimate every time and have to say you are better even if i beat you twice.

I know you are a really good player and i have always have big respect for your smash skill but when you say stuff like this that is like a part of my respect for you is gone.

And one more thing is we play Ntsc in pal that is much better conditions for me and pal is my version of the game.

Apex2 will be awesome see you guys there.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
bbq what are you talking about

i'll even leave some questionable ones aside, but ken and kdj didnt do anything remotely gay, unless youre still in 2005 and think marth chaingrabbing space animals is gay

im glad you at least left shiz off the list

Armada

Smash Lord
Stev: "Ya... but he's only played in 2 tournies. That's like saying you beat a guy once, you're always better than him. Too small of a sample size to compare".

And m2k have never attend a tournament in Europe.
If i would say i was better than Mango (i don´t say i am i say IF) everyone would say i am a ****** because he beat me with 2-1 in sets at Genesis and place better than me at pound.
And i know Mango did that so I have to prove i can beat him a whole tournament and not just a set.
But now when m2k have lost with 2-0 in sets against me I still have to prove i am a better player?

Actually i don´t care what people say about me but i just said that so you guys can understand that is something really weird when you said stuff like that because no one from USA willed say i was better than m2k if i last 2 sets in a row (and the only 2 we have play).

BBQ°

Smash Champion
bbq what are you talking about

i'll even leave some questionable ones aside, but ken and kdj didnt do anything remotely gay, unless youre still in 2005 and think marth chaingrabbing space animals is gay

im glad you at least left shiz off the list
lol, I could make an argument, but we can't really argue over the term "gay" in smash bros because it's largely an opinionated word. But I do agree that KDJ and Ken are probably the least 2 gay players that I listed on the gay list, loololol.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Let M2K beat Armada twice in PAL and he is better than Armada.
But as long he is still losing (no matter if it's close or not) with his overpowered NTSC characters he is definately not better than Armada.
I don't know if it makes sense to say that ntsc is overpowered when PAL has a Peach that DOMINATES. If Fox / Sheik supposedly are overpowered, why aren't they winning tournaments here?

And great posts Armada. He has one of the best mentalities I've seen. Not scared of anyone, not afraid to admit defeat. ARRRR MAH DAH!

Stev

Smash Ace
Stev: "Ya... but he's only played in 2 tournies. That's like saying you beat a guy once, you're always better than him. Too small of a sample size to compare".

And m2k have never attend a tournament in Europe.
If i would say i was better than Mango (i don´t say i am i say IF) everyone would say i am a ****** because he beat me with 2-1 in sets at Genesis and place better than me at pound.
And i know Mango did that so I have to prove i can beat him a whole tournament and not just a set.
But now when m2k have lost with 2-0 in sets against me I still have to prove i am a better player?

Actually i don´t care what people say about me but i just said that so you guys can understand that is something really weird when you said stuff like that because no one from USA willed say i was better than m2k if i last 2 sets in a row (and the only 2 we have play).
I was never really saying that he is better than you. I was merely saying that there's only been 2 tournaments in which you've played him and there are many other top US players whom you have NOT played in tournament. While I'm inclined to say you are better (from what I've seen), I decide not to pass judgment until I've seen more to compare. Also, M2K's consistency is not what it used to be, and I think if he can get that back, then he certainly can be better than you (key word is CAN).

Öni

Smash Cadet
I don't know if it makes sense to say that ntsc is overpowered when PAL has a Peach that DOMINATES. If Fox / Sheik supposedly are overpowered, why aren't they winning tournaments here?
Whops, I meant Fox is overpowered in comparision to PAL and if he isn't able to defeat him in NTSC, he'll also lose in PAL.
And Armada is not that DOMINANT. He's clearly the best, but it's not like he destroys everyone with his secondaries...

Why Fox / Sheik are not winning:
Mango
Hbox
M2K
and for the other reason, ask Amsah about the US Sheik Metagame.

Armada

Smash Lord
Stev: That sounds more like he is better than me but 2 tournaments is not enough.
But i don´t care.

Nightmare: I am Armada :p

I am 17 now and i can actually understand the most what people say here.
From the beginning i think to start a account but that was too hard to understand what people say so i was lazy and i don´t wrote but i am here now =).

JPOBS

Smash Hero
now that armada has an account here and can share his knowledge, we see an uprising of Peach in the western metagame as he tells them how to win.

where you at?

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
no doubt Ken was the best in his time

then I go with KDJ since he was the only one to beat m2k

Now its Darc

get ***** :)

Milos

Smash Lord
the reason i dont like hungrybox's style is INDEED because of the character he uses combined with ultra gay, not the gayness itself. watching characters like fox falco falcon marth etc. be gay is ok because when they land a hit they do cool looking combos with flashy tech skill.

Jigglypuff is SOOOOO technical, hbox gets away with using the control stick and z button for everything....

im really just sick of getting to winners finals at major national hyped for months tournies and watching fuxing puff dittos or puff vs someone it's ****in aggravating pick up falco hbox!

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
If the way Hungrybox plays Puff helps him win then he should keep doing it, that doesn't make him any less of a great player.

Also complaining about it won't change anything just get good, and beat him

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
M2K v. Armada rivalry heats up! APEX is gonna be craaazy.

I didn't know Armada's English was that good. Way to step it up Armada! Melee helped him learn a language, good clux lolol.

i remember how pc chris use to look up to the unknown ninja turtles then become a legend and beat us all up. i remember m2k at gs2 looking up to eve when he took out wes in the crew battles then magically becomes a monster within a year or 2. i remember koreandj when he first started he was crazy technical but started playing with us and again magically becomes a mix match artist with mindgame techniques and crazy reflexes. lol the roots of monster players grow from fighting the legendary unknown squad. :o ask em yourself. they probably dont remember but im sure somewhere in their brain's database its there :) sadly we suck now :(
Hey, the turtles won the East Coast its first win over West Coast. If Smash (still) had a hall of fame, I am sure you guys would be in it.

But, um, get better and come to tournaments again. The Turtles ****.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
tbo, I think Armada and M2K are pretty equal in skill. Cept they have certain ppl they have trouble with.

strawhats

Smash Master
I must agree with the above post. In all honesty this thread is Fap material with so many legendary players posting lol at mango backing up m2k's claim of being 2nd best player. I actually think its

Ken/M2K/Mango/Armada very soon

M2K is definitely one of the best players of all time.

he and mango are monsters. Besides SW m2k was the most technical player in his prime and certainly the most technical marth ever. His marth was perfection at its prime. Sadly m2k doesnt play the same way as he did back in '07 (that as well as space animals aren't as easy to gimp as they used to be lol)

KDJ IMO may have very well been the best of all time had he not had such a short lived smash career. He adapted to everything and was so unpredictable. He and m2k hd what i believe was the greatest sets of matches at MLG Long Island (both in their primes) I would've liked to see KDJ and mango play each other at their respective primes.I hope KDJ goes to Apex and shows everyone whats up. (especially Amsah and Captain Jack)

Mango of course is undoubtedly the best of al time. (like it or not) the guy is a beast with every character that's not marth/or some random *** low tier lulz)

Ken is like a legend of time...he will always be King of Smash...Besides Recipherus, Azen, Anden, and MatDeezie. He started everything. Old School legends FTW

As for Armada...Im glad you're finally on the boards man and believe me once you solve that NTSC sheik, and CPt. Falcon problem you will **** everyone and everything in sight. I believe you may be the best player soon.

Dr. PP/Dr. Urine/PPMD/ Kevin....my internet bro. You **** SO HARD and I hope you become the best someday. Good **** beating HBOX. (he aint half bad guys, I feel bad for giving his jiggz grief all the time...much love to you Juan.)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
OK guys, there seriously isn't enough Azen love here. Remember he was the best for the first 1.5 years of Melee (along with Recipherus), and REGAINED that spot (something no other player has done before) for a solid year. The great rival to the King of Smash, and ultimately (one of) the guys who took him down. His dominance was split up, but he had a crazy string of consistency over the years.

He was the best player in the country for 2.5 years, and 2nd best for another 2 years. Thats stupid good. Azen Zagenite mother****ers. Azen.

(I LOVE YOU AZEN!) /chillindude

Milos

Smash Lord
word i'd say it goes in chronological order

azen, ken, pc, m2k/kinda kdj, mango/hbox/armada cause m2k's on brawl but still mad good and he had his reign

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
Another vote for Ken/M2K/Mang0. Second string would be Azen, PC, KDJ, Amsah, Bombsoldier (forget about him?), etc. I don't wanna pick Armada or Hbox or PP because they haven't peaked yet, I don't think, so we'll see.

I think if M2K had any self-confidence he could beat Armada and probably also Hungrybox, but he just doesn't consistently play above their level recently. I'm a believer, though. he'll bring it back one of these days.
O_o

10char

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
@ Armada - It gets really annoying to hear people consider me 5th when I think I'm better than that. I do think I could do better if I didn't choke (and I think I choked vs you the first and 3rd games at pound4, especially the 1st most of the entire last stock), and I do think I could do better if I didn't do that and only focused on this game and if Brawl didn't come out. I know these are johns but it's too annoying to have everyone say that without speaking my mind once. I respect you a lot, don't get the wrong idea, but I dislike what people say about me so often. In the past, when I beat PC in a million sets in 07 I was not considered better for quite a while, and then he beats me once at OC3 and half the people consider him better. I rank higher than KDJ for quite a while and do a lot, then he beats me the most recent set and half the people consider him better. I beat people Hbox beats and loses to for quite a while then barely lose to him twice and suddenly he's better (especially annoying is the way I lost when I think I shouldn't have). You beat me in a close set and suddenly you're better. Amsah ranks higher than me suddenly he's better and the best Sheik also. It just feels really unfair and I wanted to say something about it because I feel that on a good day I am better than 5th best.

With all the amount of time I put into the game, getting good with all the characters I did for no reason, not setting on a main at all, and still being able to be dominant with a lot of characters, I think I do not get the respect I should by other people

Armada you are one of my favorite smashers ever, please do not get the wrong idea about what I said. I am just tired of being so disrespected by everyone so often. People have done that to me for years and it really hurts me to hear that. Before brawl came out all i wanted was to be the best, then Mango beats me once at pound3 and suddenly he's the best. At that time period, I considered myself better, and I'm pretty sure AT that time period I was better even though I lost, and I think this because 1) I lost because of forward Bing off and could have won the set and 2) everyone he beat I beat by more. So I think I was better at that time period, but then he proved he was better at tourneys following that.

Anyway I just wanted to speak my mind. It's not really that important to me anymore like it was before, but I just wanted to say something because I feel discredited too often no matter what I do and I'm just tired of hearing it. Hearing that stuff hurts and makes me not want to play. Pound4 was probably better than I'll be in the future anyway.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
lol M2k i think what you're missing is that people in general really love an underdog.

When you first beat Ken, everyone was jumping on your **** saying you are th new king of smash. Then you started your reign of **** and awesomeness. the reason why people said thigns abut PC when he finally beat you at OC3 is because everyone wants to see someone who is NOT the best win.

When Mango finally beat you, people said dumb things at the time like "omg mango is better than M2k" and i agree that AT THE TIME i still thought you were better he just got the best of you.

At the end of the day, the reason people are so quick to say " X player is btter than M2k" after you only lose to them once or twice, is because you have been one of the top 1-2 players for like 5 years now, and any time ANYONE beats you, its a big deal because you're ****ing Mew2king and people love an underdog.

If its any consolation, most of the community has been in your corner on the whole m2k vs mango thing, most of us want to see you beat him again.

Dont Let it bother you. Blame hollywood.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
well I'm always the underdog now because the only thing I've been good at doing lately is failing U.S. and losing. P4 Melee, with 2 set losses and Jman getting me DQed from teams made me not want to touch melee at all. I often feel it is not worth it to play if I will keep letting U.S. or fans down. I've been doing it consistently even though I feel I can do much better it just never ends up happening in the end.

I think P4 was my best chance and I blew it. There are 2 more things

Everyone will probably be slightly better by Apex2, and because of Brawl/MLG (and unfortunately P4 controller got bad since then), I might not be as good as I was. I think P4 was my best chance and I don't stand as good of a chance next time. Other concern is I have too many characters at about equal level that I am never sure which to use. Example Sheik Marth Fox I use about equal but often times I pick the wrong one? Ugh that is one problem I am never sure who to pick. I do think my melee reign is probably over now, but I also feel much stronger than 4th/5th best which I am considered. I don't know/think I can prove it though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom