• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
The point is, to have top 2 players hard to knock out of their positions, and the rest just filtered in without regards to measuring them up to each other, so we avoid the constant discussion on who's above who, but rather make sure the top players are just listed, in whatever order they happen to be in.

Like, I feel like this will make it easy so we don't sit here arguing who's better between 4th and 5th position. We can just focus on having a small sample of players that represent that character's meta game, with the champs highlighted.

We could also have it to where certain characters have no champion yet. Like Mario or something.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I promised I'd reveal my idea so here it is. Scrutinize it, tell me if it's worth it, or should we just stick with the subjectiveness of ranking people in a number system like we always have :p I will not be back at this topic mostly this week so I'll come back and read responses later.

CHAMPS AND PROS

This system will comprise of two main ideas:

1.) Players achievements will be compared to players directly in the top player list already first. If a player meets the criteria for TAKING the runner up or professional position held by someone else, then they will replace that player very easily. This is like saying "Oh well Vinnie is definitely top 5 material, he should replace Cheese at least because they haven't been playing much, and Vinnie has better tournament wins/etc..."

2.) Players in the Champion positions must be CHALLENGED. By that I mean they must never be removed completely from the top listing right away. They first be compared to one of the runner ups already in the list. If that runner up meets the criteria for taking the Champion's place, they will forfiet that spot for the new champion.

This is a way to look at it: 2 Champions and 5 Professionals, or 1 Champion and 4 Professionals, depending on the number of people capable of taking these positions.

For example:

:luigi2:
CHAMPS (no particular order)
Big Lou
YoshQ

PROS (no particular order)
Boss
Jbandrew
Scatt
B3@ST
Krystedez's Dad

The 2 bold names are champions, and must be challenged by members in the runner up positions to have their positions stolen. Again, by challenge I mean that they still use the same criteria (wins/losses/accomplishments/activity), but only can be challenged by the ones in runner up positions.

This gives way to more recognition for players that deserve it but we just don't have enough spots for them. We can also avoid the subjectivity of regions, and stop comparing people at such detailed levels, and only give two people (or one person if the character list is too underrepresented) the title of "BEST" with that character.

I will put this new proposal in the topic's OP btw..
I love YoshQ to death and think he's freaking amazing, but he's no Champ. I butt touched him in a money match at Genesis, and according to this list Im not even a top 5 Yoshi.

DRN

Smash Lord
The point is, to have top 2 players hard to knock out of their positions, and the rest just filtered in without regards to measuring them up to each other, so we avoid the constant discussion on who's above who, but rather make sure the top players are just listed, in whatever order they happen to be in.

Like, I feel like this will make it easy so we don't sit here arguing who's better between 4th and 5th position. We can just focus on having a small sample of players that represent that character's meta game, with the champs highlighted.

We could also have it to where certain characters have no champion yet. Like Mario or something.
Yea i like it for these reasons pretty much. Would save time and prevent arguments

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
lol @ everyone hating this thread in the beginning saying you wont support it and now people fiendin to get on the list or move up.

my boy miles started a movement

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I let out such a huge sigh reading this. >_>
at mine?

Okay, so it wasn't just me who was majorly upset with that post.
mine???

A good majority of the posts in this thread are disappointing; that one is no exception.
mine?!

lol @ everyone hating this thread in the beginning saying you wont support it and now people fiendin to get on the list or move up.

my boy miles started a movement
WUT oh. Yea he did.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Good thing no one ever talks about Seagulls on these boards. Except when people refer to Alphican's avatar...

I also have an idea for the owner of this thread: Make people's names in the OP into links to their profile. What's the point in having a top 5 list if we can't be easily linked to the person's profile in case we want advice/to talk to them/male genitalia-ride.

Example: Seagull.

:018:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
My name is...easy AND hard to search. Easy in that no one has it, hard in that no one can spell it for a damn.

So I started search Krys/Kryz/Kry/Krystedez/Krystadez/Dez...

LMAO.

AND THANKS FOR THAT IDEA SEAGULL, that's great. I'll do that for sure.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Are you sure you want handle that workload? if anything if I saw someone I didn't know I would just Youtube their name and character. You're going to add an exponential amount of BB code to the OP. There will be times where you get tired managing this thread and this will make it all the more annoying when you need to do updates.

no offense to seagull the idea is nice, I'm just speaking from experience. I manage one of the largest informational threads on the boards. You get tired now and then lol

:rosalina:

∫unk

Smash Master
So you have to win the mirror to go from pro to champ? I agree with the idea I'm just asking for clarification (the best players should be the strongest in the mirror).

I don't think you should limit yourself to a number like 1 champ and 4 pros or w/e just set a certain criteria in terms of tournament performance/ranking/backing up by other legit players and anyone that qualifies is part of the category.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
No Sunk, but that IS how the original GameFaqs system worked. Challenge that Champ, beat them with their rules (within certain constraints, similar to a money match), and win the title.

In this case, you CAN do that only if the Champion and you (a professional/runner up) have similar traits and tournament performance, and you so happen to be near eachother to initiate such a challenge.

You can already see the problems with directly challenging people to a game. What I mean by "challenge" is that only runner ups can take champ positions, while anyone can take a runner up's position. The criteria to meet for seizing a champion's position is much higher as well.

@ Two-Elli:

That is why I use heavy amounts of organized tabs and spaces to order information in such a way that is visible to me clearly. I also plan on with the revamp to lessen the amount the code by doing a vertical table system. I'm not sure how yet, but I will do it so that it's viable to change at times very quickly. Thanks for your input.

If it's too hard, I'll simply manage a go-to alphabetical list with all of the player's names and information linked down below the table.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Basically you just have to be recognized as a runner-up before you can be recognized as a champion. Alright.

The only problem I see is that the criteria with deciding who gets to be a runner-up will either be too strict so there won't be too big of a difference of skill between the champions and runners-up, or the criteria will be too loose and just let everyone in and make the runner-up spot meaningless.

Food for thought lol

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
That's why I define them as "professionals" to make it sound better.

But also, the criteria is simply the same as making it to the top 5 as always, so it isn't like Billy bob jeorge who is really good at manonpikadorf can just get on the list cuz he beat jeepo, the best sonicraptainfalco. It just eliminates the need to rank players below the one or two players. :)

In other words, it's the same, it's just we have a sample rather than a ladder.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I can honestly say that as soon as Krys took over this thread I have subscribed and actually read what people have to say. I guess it's more comforting to know that a familiar/skilled player is doing the rankings. Keep it up Krys! I like the idea of linking the players names and such. Also Y.b.M. for number 1 Kirby, when we get to that point... Swag....

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'm sorry, Junk! I didn't know WHAT kinda letter that was XD it looked like an S.

And Y.b.M., I appreciate that. I'll do my best to review discussion between each major update for sure.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, Junk! I didn't know WHAT kinda letter that was XD it looked like an S.

And Y.b.M., I appreciate that. I'll do my best to review discussion between each major update for sure.
It's just nice that Krystidex seems like an intelligent and logical person who won't just form the list based on random opinions that people throw out there.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I can think of a couple characters that prolly shouldnt/couldnt be dealt with here that should probably be decided on their own boards (Pikas NEVER agree, Marth stuff is always regional bias, etc).

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
As long as I'm a pro Marth, it's all good. I beat a MK once. That's like more than anyone, save Mike, has done.

Cassio

Smash Master
You need to address the issue of retired professionals who remain on the list simply because no one has caught them yet, especially when people pass them without having been as notable in lieu of them being removed entirely.

A hall of fame might be nice in that regard.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I was thinking of doing a hall of fame or LEGENDS position. I wasn't sure how the current proposal would pass with you guys yet so I retracted my statement on Legends. It is similar to how people put "0." at the top of their power rankings.

Here it is:

LEGENDS - NOT LEGENDZ, THAT WEIRD PLOT-HOLE FILLED DIGIMON RIP OFF

"There are certain positions that are left to the greats, so not only do we have a Champion position, we have a Legend position, assosiated with those whose accomplishments could never be superceded unless something miraculous occurs. This award is given only to those who dedicated their time and patience to the game to such an extent maddening to those
of sound mind or even peace.

This award will surely go to players like M2K and his miraculous Meta knight, and Ally with his superb Snake. There will also be legends that necessarily didn't dominate the meta game for a long period of time, but fit the criteria because they SHAPED it, like Neo or something (this is all up to discussion fellas)

This makes it fair for more positions to be used in the Champ/Pro system by other players who are consistent and active and can't exactly measure up to these Legends in order TO be recognized.

Legends are seldom given. Not every character has a legend. By 2012, however, every character will have a legend. And all of your hardwork will have shaped it.

Legends are a position used to avoid uncertainty in comparing wins and losses constantly against players who have more than proven themselves worthy of highest ranking. They are also only given to people if no other has risen to such a degree of devotion like the individual. If no player meets the expectations, Legend position is forfeited for that character.

Granted, this is the only thing I could come up with for outliers like M2K and Ally. Who knows if we will ever get a legend for Mario. Or Jigglypuff. Stuff like that.

THIS IS A VERY SUBJECTIVE POSITION (lmao)... It really depends on if you guys want it in place in order to open up the possibility of this system being successful. Would it be FAIR to say M2K and Ally are legends? Is it FAIR to make that assumption? Remember, LEGEND DOES NOT NECESSARILY = OR IS NOT > CHAMPS... at any given time as far as skill goes.

I'll consolidate this a bit better later when I make a clear post later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom