• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
We should also have a CONTENDERS category for the up and comers to watch out for. Like someone that has seen a jump in recent tourney results and will be challenging one of the pros for their spot soon.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
for Legends, where the hell is CPU for ROB?
come on, he's the Evo2k8 champ and he beat Ken. (maybe SK92 as well?)

CCCCCCCC
PPPPPPPP
UUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!
He's too much!!!!

:troll:

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Legends:

:metaknight: - Mew2King, teh_spamerer, Plank
:snake: - Ally, DSF
:diddy: - NinjaLink
:falco: - SK92
:popo: - Meep
:marth: - NEO
:wario: - Fiction, Futile
:dedede: - Atomsk, Mew2King
:pikachu2: - Anther
:olimar: - BlackWaltz, AndyG
:lucario: - Azen
:gw: - omegablackmage
:zerosuitsamus: - Snakeee
:toonlink: - Santi
:fox: - TKD
:wolf: - Kain
:peach: - Edrees, Bone, KOS-MOS
:dk2: - Bum
:kirby2: - ChuDat
:rob: - HolyNightmare, ShadowROB, CPU
:pit: - Rogue Pit, Koolaid
:sonic: - Malcolm
:ike: - Azen
:luigi2: - BigLou
:sheik: - Scary/Ed
:ness2: - FOW, Shaky
:yoshi2: - PRiDE
:pt: - Reflex
:lucas: - Galeon
:mario2: - Boss
:bowser2: - Vex
:samus2: - Rhyme
:falcon: - Ally
:link2: - Deva
:jigglypuff: - Puffster
:zelda: - Riot
:ganondorf: - Vex

Based on who revolutionized or inspired the way the character is played.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I was thinking of doing a hall of fame or LEGENDS position. I wasn't sure how the current proposal would pass with you guys yet so I retracted my statement on Legends. It is similar to how people put "0." at the top of their power rankings.

Here it is:

LEGENDS - NOT LEGENDZ, THAT WEIRD PLOT-HOLE FILLED DIGIMON RIP OFF

"There are certain positions that are left to the greats, so not only do we have a Champion position, we have a Legend position, assosiated with those whose accomplishments could never be superceded unless something miraculous occurs. This award is given only to those who dedicated their time and patience to the game to such an extent maddening to those
of sound mind or even peace.

This award will surely go to players like M2K and his miraculous Meta knight, and Ally with his superb Snake. There will also be legends that necessarily didn't dominate the meta game for a long period of time, but fit the criteria because they SHAPED it, like Neo or something (this is all up to discussion fellas)

This makes it fair for more positions to be used in the Champ/Pro system by other players who are consistent and active and can't exactly measure up to these Legends in order TO be recognized.

Legends are seldom given. Not every character has a legend. By 2012, however, every character will have a legend. And all of your hardwork will have shaped it.

Legends are a position used to avoid uncertainty in comparing wins and losses constantly against players who have more than proven themselves worthy of highest ranking. They are also only given to people if no other has risen to such a degree of devotion like the individual. If no player meets the expectations, Legend position is forfeited for that character.

Granted, this is the only thing I could come up with for outliers like M2K and Ally. Who knows if we will ever get a legend for Mario. Or Jigglypuff. Stuff like that.

THIS IS A VERY SUBJECTIVE POSITION (lmao)... It really depends on if you guys want it in place in order to open up the possibility of this system being successful. Would it be FAIR to say M2K and Ally are legends? Is it FAIR to make that assumption? Remember, LEGEND DOES NOT NECESSARILY = OR IS NOT > CHAMPS... at any given time as far as skill goes.

I'll consolidate this a bit better later when I make a clear post later this week.

This was actually something I was going to do around the time there was a dispute over Anther's position and others. But I thought it was a thread deserved for itself. So you saying it should be it's own thread or an addition to this one?

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Dooms List is very accurate, you should also put Boss next to Luigi.

And Kryst you should probably add the legends on here. The only reason I didn't make it, was because it seemed to lack potential in discussion. After people see the legends, the only discussion would be video posts, arguments, and/or complaints. If it's here it seems like something people will look forward to getting on.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'd put Darkmusician for Zelda, but other than that, Doom's legends list is boss.

Also Wereuop for Olimar.
:phone:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Legends for :wolf: would be JJwolf, Germ, and Lucien. :snake: would be Tapion?

No offense, but I think this is starting to get a little too complicated. Why would we include veteran players from 08-09 who quit on a "Top 5 list"? They wouldn't be as current to the 11' metagame if they played now compared to then. Times change. Matchups change. Tier lists change. The thrown passes on over time. Sure their vids are cool and great, but what's the overall point to listing "Legends" of said character in a top 5 list?

:018:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
wait wait wait guys lmao

I already listed the criteria

You have to have put enough blood sweat and tears in the game and the metagame for your character. You don't neccessarily have to have OWNED everyone in bracket from time to time like Ally or M2K, but you should at least be

-REALLY EFFIN GOOD WITH YOUR CHARACTER
-Have seen at least one major tournament win (1st or 2nd), if not more depending on the character
-Have the full support of the character boards themselves (like, how much do the marths look up to Neo? Sorry I'm using him as an example)

The whole point of a Legends List is to avoid letting them take up open spots on the Pros/Champs list that could otherwise be filled by potential CHALLENGERS to the proverbial thrones. I mean, it ain't fair to compare pros to M2K in all honesty. Neither is it fair to compare Warios now to Fiction. see my drift? Legends don't neccessarily have to play the game anymore, but generally should be recognized for great deeds.

Legends isn't meant for just the best player.. Boss imo should still be a Pro/Champ. While Mario himself doesn't get a Legend . . . yet. That's my opinion.

Anyways, Contenders? I don't know about that one.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
What's the difference between a CHALLENGER and a CONTENDER

They seem pretty synonymous in definition

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Basically, Legend will NOT be allowed to "contend" or "challenge" for, it's a community response from all sides and general knowledge of their achievements.

It will not be like an "empty" slot, we will just have a LEGENDS section, with like a graphic of the character, and the name by them.

Essentially, I'd imagine players like Neo, Fiction, Ally, M2K, and to a lesser extent ESAM (since he IS basically an outlier Pikachu imo, but is he REALLY that much higher in skill and accomplishment than other Pikas? That's what I've been told)

Anyways, Legend position isn't "for sale" in other words. People should concentrate on becoming Pros/Champs.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
I can honestly say that as soon as Krys took over this thread I have subscribed and actually read what people have to say. I guess it's more comforting to know that a familiar/skilled player is doing the rankings. Keep it up Krys! I like the idea of linking the players names and such. Also Y.b.M. for number 1 Kirby, when we get to that point... Swag....
that's so stupid.

if you don't know the person you don't support them wtf?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
wait wait wait guys lmao

I already listed the criteria

You have to have put enough blood sweat and tears in the game and the metagame for your character. You don't neccessarily have to have OWNED everyone in bracket from time to time like Ally or M2K, but you should at least be

-REALLY EFFIN GOOD WITH YOUR CHARACTER
-Have seen at least one major tournament win (1st or 2nd), if not more depending on the character
-Have the full support of the character boards themselves (like, how much do the marths look up to Neo? Sorry I'm using him as an example)

The whole point of a Legends List is to avoid letting them take up open spots on the Pros/Champs list that could otherwise be filled by potential CHALLENGERS to the proverbial thrones. I mean, it ain't fair to compare pros to M2K in all honesty. Neither is it fair to compare Warios now to Fiction. see my drift? Legends don't neccessarily have to play the game anymore, but generally should be recognized for great deeds.

Legends isn't meant for just the best player.. Boss imo should still be a Pro/Champ. While Mario himself doesn't get a Legend . . . yet. That's my opinion.

Anyways, Contenders? I don't know about that one.
If you're going to do it like that, I say you need to make more of a list than do it per character. List all the legends and put the character they're up there for and why next to each one.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
It was asked about, and I expanded.

I feel like Legends is abritrary PERSONALLY, but it'd be fun regardless. BUT, if it's unneccessary and too subjective (like I started to say), then there's no reason to focus on it. It could also just be plain unfair. :)

Again, let's focus on the proposal at hand. Is there any issues with the Champ/Pro system I've established? Would you like to see something else added to it? Legends isn't as important as making the overall value of the sample-rankings better and easier to handle updates with.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
How does it work exactly? Do you just say 'I challenge _____ for a Pro position on he character ______' or what?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'll more thoroughly describe scenarios and implementation before the transition actually takes place. Just for now, it really isn't that formal, it's simply the same system as before, except without having to order players within either section (the two champs and the five pros)

If you want to become a pro, you would pick one of the pros yourself to match your experiences against, and if it so happens that you have better acheivements/etc... then you will simply replace that player. It is then that player's responsibility to either:

1.) Put their achievements/etc... up against someone else (you can not put them back up against the player that overtook you right away at the very least)
2.) Get their achievements better before doing number 1.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Plank, a legend over me?

=[

I think Forte should be an MK legend.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I'm not really feeling the "Legend" idea.

It's making the thread get too complicated, in my opinion.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
krys can u please change my name to 1 word. all lower case "kingtoon"

and for pokemon trainer.... aposl is better than coontail by a large margin.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
No offense Kryz but I think you're overcomplicating everything... both with the "legends" system and the "pros/challengers" system.

It's really not that difficult to rank players 1-5... and it really doesn't matter in this case either because it's not like this list is going to be used for tournament seeding or anything.

A few people might be interested in the "pros/challengers" system but most will get bored of it fast. Plus there will be a lot more arguing.

∫unk

Smash Master
I think pro and champions are fine... I just don't see the point of Legends... I think a "hall of fame" sort of thing needs to be a completely different topic/thread from "whose good right now".

DLA your post doesn't make sense. Subjective language, making predictions based on little to no information, statements directed at one system when it can easily apply to the other, etc.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
that's so stupid.

if you don't know the person you don't support them wtf?
Haha, Nearz don't trip. I was actually prepared for this attitude towards the thread, that's why giving it to someone in the BBR made sense to me. All Krys did was change the front page style, and pretty much stay active with updates. I planned on changing it, but I must admit it wouldn't have looked as cool as his. I do think it's crazy Y.b.M. said that though lolol.

Also with the legends thing, I think you should just keep it simple Kryst. Simply, make a list of all the players who were the first proactive's with their character. Debating who should be a legend contender and challanger seem's a bit much imo. The game is still young as we speak.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Just because my post is subjective doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense lol.

Pros/challengers would work but I think 1-5 would be simpler and easier to maintain.

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
*namesearch*

take me off this please, i havent done **** in like a year and dont feel like I deserve it lol

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Just because my post is subjective doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense lol.

Pros/challengers would work but I think 1-5 would be simpler and easier to maintain.
Points have been taken. I just think it'd be funner and easier to maintain to have a sample rather than a skill ladder where everyone's skill is super hard to scrutinize at one point but really easy at another. The major point of it was to remove any major region bias.

If Top 5 still works for you all, that's perfectly fine with me, but everyone should have a say in it! Anyone who opposes it and think I should just keep maintaining the thread as always, I will, I might even come up with better ideas or displays.

@Minty, dually noted, will be addressed next update.

@Legends discussion, it has been decided, it will be a future thread maintained by someone else where it's number of players is not limited to just five :3 I CAN make it if people want me to too, but that's neither here or there.

@kingtoon, fixed.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Zelda and Sheik lists need some editing. I'll let you fix it up for the Champs/Pros

Zelda needs to look like:
Riot
Ven
Scary/Ed
Fuujin
Linkz or Mocha

Sheik needs to be
Judo or Scary/Ed
Scary/Ed or Judo
Billy
Tutu
I don't know lol

I really like the new look to the OP Krys. Great job! Only reason I'm posting this is I haven't seen results from Mars in a long time so assuming inactivity (Sorry Mars! :(), and Ven has put in serious work so he deserves a big bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom