• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I get knockback for each of Snake's moves without DI? (the trajectory in degrees)

I can test this against Mario (the dummy for everything) to see the default trajectory of our moves.
That would be useful for others playing against snake. To avoid confuse with degrees from what the relation is to everything, I say use the degrees mentioned from that people learn in math, "standard position".

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Explain standard position.

I was going to test it on FD, FD is 180 degrees. The angle would be measured from which direction Snake is facing (EG: no angle launch should ever be over 90 degrees)

C4/Mine/Utilt/Dtilt/Uair I'm fairly certain are all 90

Dair/Nair/Ftilt are roughly 30-65

I want to do frame-by-frame testing (just to slow it down) so I can take my protractor (ftw?_ and measure it out 10-15 frames after hitstun.

If it has an arc in the knockback, I'll be sure to mention that as well.

What % should I test at? I was thinking 60 to give a clear definition of trajectory.

(PS: Only doing this because the Jigglypuff boards have it... lol.... I can also ninja-edit it into the frame data or the moveset topic...)

Also if you see a useful thread dying, please revive it. (Moveset thread..)

If no one knows standard position (I thought people would since it's like a early pre-calc term, most tournament players are in there early 20s in college. So I thought people would know it).

Anyway, your explaniation is easier for people to understand.

I would go 90%.

I can create random stuff that is releated to a board, xP, shouldn't be to hard to revive something.

SuSa

I'm in Geometry, Soph. year, high school. Passing with 119%, but was placed into the class from Algebra 1 (131%) so they wouldn't push me into Algebra 2 or Algebra 2/Trig

So I'm taking Algebra 2 next year, and will probably be pushed into Algebra 2/Trig.

I hate math, it's just so darned easy. :(

I'll just use my way though.

Also what type of random stuff? =p

I'm in Geometry, Soph. year, high school. Passing with 119%, but was placed into the class from Algebra 1 (131%) so they wouldn't push me into Algebra 2 or Algebra 2/Trig

So I'm taking Algebra 2 next year, and will probably be pushed into Algebra 2/Trig.

If I really feel like it, I can take some sort of quote or previous post and make some random thing out of it. The problem is that I really only want to post if I can really give a good discussion or opinion on something, sort of like now.

To tech you just hit the shield button slightly before making contact with the stage

No one can help ultimately help you with the timing. All we can do is help you with what you have to do. It is just something you have to practice more. Hyrule or New pork city underside is a good place to practice. After that work on the short distances underneath BF and such.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Teching the C4 takes practice. Go to training mode for 15 minutes MAX practicing. It shouldn't be that hard.

I took Algebra 2 this year, and now I'm taking Pre-cal/Trig in my Sophmore year.
\Hoooraaayyy!

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
LOL I took AP calc AB my junior year. Then I took AP calc BC my senior year, which I got an A in without turning in a single assignment- I just got the highest score on all the tests :) Then I took another calc class this last semester in college and got a good grade without going to the actual class once :)

Gotta love a math discussion in the Snake Q&A thread :laugh:

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
I'm bad at math (or at least never attempted to be good at it) but do well with Snake because I keep time in my head while playing which leads to pretty accurate timing on explosives

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
Is a boost grab the same timing as mortar slide?
God ****, I can't get it down.

I think most people always mention the c-stick down to prevent an accidental studder steped fsmash. That always happens with me with the normal attack button. C-stick just doesn't do a fsmash for some reason.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I think most people always mention the c-stick down to prevent an accidental studder steped fsmash. That always happens with me with the normal attack button. C-stick just doesn't do a fsmash for some reason.
You'll never do a fsmash while hitting down on the C-stick.. If anything, you'd end up doing a dsmash :laugh:

You'll never do a fsmash while hitting down on the C-stick.. If anything, you'd end up doing a dsmash :laugh:
I know. That is why I was confused on why the fsmash never comes out. I would think that the Vc-stick would be read like an a command and not always like a dash attack. I suppose it's similar to pikachu's UpB. if you hold down after going right, pikachu will go right again.

Which is worse... A failed mortarslide/boost grab by fsmash or mine input...

napZzz

Smash Hero
Doesn't contact mortar slide kinda combo in the mortar from the beginning hits of the dash attack if you do it right?

Ally McBeal

sometimes, depends on opponent's % and which part of the dash attack you hit with
And how they DI.

So in all situations it is almost never going to happen. :) But I hear that in B+ they changed it so that Dash attack > Upsmash will be a true combo upto certain percents.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
How would you fight a Link?

imo, His camping game ***** Snakes if you don't know what your doing. Any good cp's to take him to?

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
*looks at icon*

pick Falco and cg spike him and its over =]

But if you want to do it with Snake, Jab and Ftilt 1 both cancel everything but bombs, just avoid bombs, throw a nade near him and approach behind it, shield the imminent jab and punish with ftilt, when Link is offstage, just edgeguard well and the Link will die

Susa will probably come tell you more seeing as how he plays both characters

How would you fight a Link?

imo, His camping game ***** Snakes if you don't know what your doing. Any good cp's to take him to?
You've been playing them online haven't you? Anyway...

I played a link often that does just that with camping. But he doesn't camp with boomerang or arrows, he literally spaces you more greatly than Snake does on some characters. Unless you are airdodging, powershielding, shielding the Zair and Boomerang, you are never going to get inside Link.

Once you do get inside the defences of Zair and boomerang spacing you have the edge as everything there he has is slow. And once you have Link on the run, keep it that way till he is dead.

For a CP, I'd say not FD. He can space you with impunity there. I'd go with BF. The platforms make it easier to keep Link off you when you get him on the run. He cannot get back on the ground easily.

Koala

Smash Cadet
I am thinking about picking up Snake, or seeing if I am capable of doing so, as a backup to my pikachu because snake seems to cover the hard matchups that Pikachu has by at lest going close to even with those characters.

Obivously reading the threads will help, but who are some of the guys I should search for on youtube or maybe in video threads who are considered some of the "better snake players" so that I can see what they do and see if I can incorporate it into my game.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Ally, Afro Thundah, Candy, Ultimate Razer, Samurai Panda, Seikbrik, Lambchops, chillindude, Fatal, DSF, Anti...probably a few others I'm forgetting but those are good Snake's to watch anyway...souther and 9B if you want japanese snake's

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
LOL @ the first 16 seconds of the video XD

One thing I noticed, you roll WAY too much. Rolling is easily punished by good players..

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
Curious if anyone noticed that when you tap a,a,a fast he moves forward slightly, but if you slow down the taps he doesn't move. Obviously not important, but curiosity struck. Also, if you jump and try to do an up-air too fast, it forces you to do an upsmash.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
I don't know much about that first thing you said, I rarely jab but you can cancel a jump with an upsmash so its not new

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah that's not new, like it's already known that you can upsmash right out of shield because of that, too bad ftilt or grab are almost always better options...

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Alright, well, I've been playing snake for some time now, and I really enjoy playing him. When my Ftilt hits twice and my opponent gets knocked back, however, I'm usually a bit confused on my next step. Should I nade camp if I'm far enough, go in for a grab, or another ftilt? I have no idea what the best option is, if there is one. Suggestions? Oh, and also, I have a bad habit of Fsmashing instead of Ftilting. >.<

SuSa

Low knockback: You may be able to get another ftilt
Mid range: They normally land on the ground and you can tech chase for a grab.
Far range: nade camp

PS: Try not to fsmash. You silly Marth main. :p We're like the opposite. Instead of spamming fsmash, we spam ftilt. XD

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Rofl, yeah, I realized I shouldn't Fsmash with him unless I want to get painfully ***** (and when I say that I mean **** mind games). Besides the bad habit itself, I also find my fingers slipping, creating the Fsmash accidentally. Sometimes it's hard to Ftilt someone under pressure if you're trying to do it quickly, just because it requires some more diligent finger work. /suck@ftilt

etecoon

Smash Hero
PS: Try not to fsmash. You silly Marth main. :p We're like the opposite. Instead of spamming fsmash, we spam ftilt. XD
I spam fsmash

**** no wonder I'm so awful :O

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
hey there's any snake critique video here? I didnt' find or I am just fail at watching things LOL

can anyone rate or just say opinion about mah snake ? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g49wZyfZi0Y

I will upload some more in next week.
Okay, here's my uneducated opinion. You should use more grenades. Spam grenades, they're great. NO DECAY MAN. Also, I don't understand why you try to approach so much with Snake. Camp behind your wall of explosions. Use your ftilt to space when they get too close. You jab cancel to ftilt so much that it's easy to read. I think you were grab spamming at some point, grabbing when the wolf was no where near.

Oh yes, walk, don't run. Or run and shield cancel.

K, someone refute me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom