• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i win against australia's diddy 95% of the time on fd. i lose most of the time on smashville. sv is far too small, and the platform allows him to easily get bananas out when its off to the side.

heaps of room of fd, making it hard for him to approach you with two bananas, which effectively cuts his combo ability in half. avoid the small stages at all costs. i think this also included bf. diddy is far happier to grab bananas off platforms than snake is, given snake's rubbish options in the air (espc short hopped options). and if you utilt near a banana on a platform above you, you slip over. our awesome range is now our downfall. gay.

and bananas blow up grenades (will even do it even in your hand if you havent dropped it), and nade camping lets diddy get two bananas and approach, which leaves you in a horrible situation. they can be pulled ouot during diddy's dash attach and usmash though, so try and remember to use them then, as the collatoral damage is way better than the combos that come out of these two moves. i use c4s as i normally would, though.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I've beaten Flip on Smashville.
:D

With determination, good luck, and a low percent gimp; you can win.
But I do agree, FD is a far better place to play Diddy.
You have more maneuver room.

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
is setting up mine and C4 on the edge really worth it? i've seen lots of pro snakes just lay a grenade down instead of setting up this combo and it seems to work pretty effectively.

IxxI

Smash Fence
It depends DeadX.
For example, I rarely put a C4 on the map if my opponent is using a character that can gimp me easily.

.decoy

Smash Ace
what exactly is an airdodge cancel throw?
also OoS airdoge cancel throwing or somethign...? i dont rmember but help me out?

SuSa

Banned via Administration

Airdodge cancel throwing is like glide tossing, but with an airdodge.

OoS = Out of Shield generally means: Jump from shield to not have to deal with shield-drop lag (7 frames IIRC) then you do the above. (It's used after you shield drop a grenade. You instantlt jump then airdodge cancel throw)

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
Basically it's like a throw where you skip the picking up grenade animation.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
How to ****ing deal with Pit planking ??? XD

Video of me failing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-gYtdSAzCY (It was Wifi on a side note)

In all the matches between me and cyve, but in this last stock he nearly only planked (Not like the others)

I tried: C4 (On and off the ledge), dtilt, uptilt (:p), upsmash, grenades, nikita, bair, dair, FF UpAir (SD xD) and Nair [only some of them in the video]. Nothing worked, so any ideas ??? Or should I just give up xD ?

You tried a good number of methods, but you should have stuck with some of them. You just have to be persistent.

If you have seen Ally's vids he occasionally deals with people on the ledge by jumping up and dropping a C4 down next to the ledge instead of directly on the stage. This adds more pressure to the person as they have to move away from the stage to avoid getting hit. I think in the situation you were in it would have been best to try to jump on the platform FH a C4, 2nd jump away and explode it as it falls past the ledge.

Also the grenades can work. You tried to simply throw them off. You can try to plant them next to pit on the ledge to avoid aerials, but you still have the projectiles. Another thing is to TOSS a grenade so that it will land close to pit while your still out of range.

I'm not sure what else to say more than that.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
You tried a good number of methods, but you should have stuck with some of them. You just have to be persistent.
my techniques were garbage ^^

If you have seen Ally's vids he occasionally deals with people on the ledge by jumping up and dropping a C4 down next to the ledge instead of directly on the stage. This adds more pressure to the person as they have to move away from the stage to avoid getting hit. I think in the situation you were in it would have been best to try to jump on the platform FH a C4, 2nd jump away and explode it as it falls past the ledge.
This doesnt work. he will interrupt your C4 try as soon as possible and the fall of the C4 is too easy to avoid. Especially since Pit can just fly under the stage :/

Also the grenades can work. You tried to simply throw them off. You can try to plant them next to pit on the ledge to avoid aerials, but you still have the projectiles. Another thing is to TOSS a grenade so that it will land close to pit while your still out of range.

I'm not sure what else to say more than that.
Yeah a nade-drop exactly on the edge is good, but often pit and you will explode, he can also space his up-air that it wont hit the nade or just dont make a up-air.

But Snakes options against planking are VERY limited, since all of his aerials are too slow. And everytime you go off-stage you risk to SD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVeTPGyUuPU

New Video, in which Bleak tries his technique, it's exactly the counterpart to what I did, not beeing near Pit, he just stays at the other side.

I think planking should get it's own thread, since it's a very important part of Brawl and hard to deal with. You WILL fail if you dont know how to deal with it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Try using the taunt.

Seriously, doesn't the box have a sweetspot or something?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok so I know I posted this vid all the way back at the start of this thread and I got an answer to the grenade shenanigans in said vid, but in that video they are also doing running tilts, I've looked all over and even asked here before and havnt gotten an answer, I'm pretty sure it can only be done on platforms, but other then that I have no idea.

I remember susa saying it was naritakae step/true pivot, I'm assuming that they are the same thing?
anyways it cant be a pivot because there is no turning around and they are not just doing a dash step but canceling out of running into the tilt.

unless of course the naritakae step is different from a pivot in which case I'm an idiot, but just for completeness sake to shut me up, if the naritakae step is different, what exactly is it and how do you do it?

any ideas guys? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZDg...953B2EE8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=45

SuSa

Naritake Step uses crouching. True Pivoting uses Pivot's. Not the same thing.

Dash > dash > extremely fast crouch + holding back while crouching (reverse crouch) > let controller return to neutral > any move.

It's really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hard.

In other words the step isn't really worth taking the time to learn :)

Try using the taunt.

Seriously, doesn't the box have a sweetspot or something?
You'd be pummeled at with arrows and Aerial attacks going through the edge of the stage. You would not have any time to get into position really.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol's ok sorry for being such a pain, trying to do that with uptilt and tap jump is gonna be ****ed.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i regards to ledging pits... i used to have trouble with our local one. grenades on the edge really help, especially if you link explosions to go around the ledge (learn some timing). dropping c4s down helps too. utilt can hit under the stage for lols. i suppose the most important part is trying to stage spike him early, cause then he wont do it again. following nades with a bair off the stage can also work if he doesnt expect it, and if it hits, he's dead.

play with it.

IxxI

Smash Fence
No, not pivot grabbing.
There's an opponent behind him and grabs him in one motion.
I don't know if he's turning around and grabbing or if it's something else.

SuSa

That's Pivot grabbing.

He hits back on the analog stick+grab at the same time.

Everyone has 2 pivot grabs I've noticed:

1 with a slide
1 where they stop still

I can't do the slide with the back on analog stick, but I do when I use c-stick back + grab.

<_<

Either way, it's a pivot grab...

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
How often do you guys Boost Pivot Grab? I feel like the slide helps get them out of range more than anything, I just use regular pivot grab almost always...

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
That's Pivot grabbing.

He hits back on the analog stick+grab at the same time.

Everyone has 2 pivot grabs I've noticed:

1 with a slide
1 where they stop still

I can't do the slide with the back on analog stick, but I do when I use c-stick back + grab.

<_<

Either way, it's a pivot grab...
i dont think what he's referring to in that video is a pivot grab.
he's literally just turning around and grabbing.

Here's how you do it.
1. turn around
2. grab

it looks like one motion, but its just two things done very fast.

SuSa

Oh, I was right then, sorta.
Thanks.

Welcome

How often do you guys Boost Pivot Grab? I feel like the slide helps get them out of range more than anything, I just use regular pivot grab almost always...
I don't boost pivot grab. I just hit c-stick back+grab, which is "sort" of the boost pivot grab, with slightly less boost.

I prefer it because of the spacing, but I sometimes use it and the boost makes me miss the grab >.< I need to start using the regular pivot grab more.

i dont think what he's referring to in that video is a pivot grab.
he's literally just turning around and grabbing.

Here's how you do it.
1. turn around
2. grab

it looks like one motion, but its just two things done very fast.
Pivot grabbing accomplishes the same exact thing, and is a few frames quicker... also Ally did Pivot Grab. <_<

SuSa

Depends which side-B, and how good you are at timing.

Falco/Fox onto stage:
You can fsmash them out of it if you have godlike timing <_<" /has done this plenty of times
I think bair wins MOST if not ALL of the time (side-B is weird.. sometimes it clashes, other times it loses) so SH bair can work.
Laying a mine where you think they will land, placing a C4 in another spot you think they will land, and then edgehogging. If they land near the C4, press back and down-b (don't fastfall) or they can also hit the mine... this works often. <_< although it sounds like it wouldn't.
Placing c4/mines closer to the ledge and then staying in the center to grab them if they recover close to the center. ( I put C4 close to edge, Mine a little further, then camp center )

For Wolf:
All of the above, just be careful if he scars/semi-scars because he can avoid a lot of these setups by doing so.... but everything basically applies.

I find grenades to be less effective :/ you can also try to nair them out - but I think this only works if they happen to side-B while a hitbox is out. If not they go through it.

Here I can actually help with this :)

Falco's Phantasm works in couple of ways. There are 3 points in the move that falco can be hit by during the phantasm. Each point is a frame apart. I believe the frames are 18-19-20.

So if this was the model of the attack here are his locations during the phantasm

18----------19---------20

In 1-18 falco is still beginning up the attack. On frame 19 teleports from his previous start up location to the next location, during frame 19 a hitbox appears between the place that falco was to the spot he is next. On frame 20 falco teleports to next location, the previous hitbox dissappears, but a new one pops up between the place where falco just was and was next.

So basically this means that Falco's phantasm has the best and worst priority of any move. It has the best as behind falco is simply a hitbox that will clash with any attack, but in front is where falco is and is nothing more than a hurtbox which can be hurt by any thing.

That is what I have put together from Pure's frame data and testing of the move and Jp4u's understanding of the move. I assume that Fox and Wolf's SideB work in similar fashions.

One can also hold the attack button while the move auto spams SNake's 1st jab. That always seems to work against the SideBs.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Holding A doesn't always work. They can simply go above the jab and hit your head. And I'm not sure on this, but it seems like I've been hit from them spacing to go below it as well.

Then there's also the chance that it will clank with the jab instead of hitting him out of it.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I haven't fought a falco for the past month or two, but unless my memory is failing me I think it can clank.

I could be wrong though. Like I said, it's been a decent amount of time since I've fought a falco with snake..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom