• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
Sigh, where zz.

Btw, I also can't properly do a reversed nade. I turn around, but I don't get the momentum change.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Lol, FTilt has a lot more horizontal range.
I thought that was more common sense.

I mean, it's the forward tilt.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
When is the earliest i can buffer ftilt after a jab so that it is a 3 hit combo? I've been able to register it as a combo a couple times in training mode. usually however, it ends being a full AAA jab.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I think Jab > FTilt is only a combo on certain characters, but especially don't quote me on this.
Even though I've been here since March; I'm the noob of the Snake boards.
;-;

I think Jab > FTilt is only a combo on certain characters, but especially don't quote me on this.
Even though I've been here since March; I'm the noob of the Snake boards.
;-;
You are the FENCE that prevents outsiders from coming in :)

This reminds me, we probably should try to get a list of all of those that we can for sure Jab > Ftilt.

Underload

Lazy
No real solid secondary for Snake, really it's up to preference. You could use anyone you enjoy playing, since Snake's only really bad matchup is Dedede. The rest is extremely doable.

Diddy Kong can cover some bad Snake matchups (Dedede and Pikachu come to mind) (Snake vs. Pikachu is much worse than 47:53, trust me), same story with Falco or even Zero Suit Samus.

It's really just preference.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I really like wario as my secondary to snake. I've tried TONS of secondaries and he fits what I need the best.

He also has the best matchup vs MK and is much easier to fight him with than snake, which snake's hardest matchup IMO

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Yeah, that seems like a good idea. Having a solid Marth, Snake, and Wario would be perfect. Not many bad matchups between those 3. :p

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Here are just some tips, I'm too lazy to discuss the whole matchup right now XD

Utilt goes through all of her aerial approaches. Avoid her turnips. Watch out for no lag in between fair>fsmash, don't lower your shield and try to punish after a fair. At low percents watch out for her dair>dair>uair>utilt strings, and if you do get hit just SDI up as fast as you can. She definitely has a weird playstyle that you just need to get used to.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
No real solid secondary for Snake, really it's up to preference. You could use anyone you enjoy playing, since Snake's only really bad matchup is Dedede. The rest is extremely doable.
no no, d3 is doable. olimar, on the other hand, is not. definately harder than d3. pivot grabs dominate your approaches, and he outcamps you fairly easily.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Hm, i need extreme help versing a good metaknight. Basically the start of the match he obviously wants a grab so i shield drop a grenade but somehow it doesn't blow up when he does the grab and continues his dair/aerial rush eventually leading to a gimp. I get ***** on the air with his uairs etc, ahh i need help overall on this match up.

.AC.

Smash Lord
Hm, i need extreme help versing a good metaknight. Basically the start of the match he obviously wants a grab so i shield drop a grenade but somehow it doesn't blow up when he does the grab and continues his dair/aerial rush eventually leading to a gimp. I get ***** on the air with his uairs etc, ahh i need help overall on this match up.
if he dashes at you,you can:
-walk with nade---grab
-pivot grab
-jab if you are sure he is grabbing

i think the best thing you can do is walk with a nade,if he tries to grab or dash attack,you can grab him as he gets near you,if he shorthops sheild upon reaction.walking with a nade leaves a lot of options open,so i think its one of the best things you can do.

.AC.

Smash Lord
if i walked with a grenade though wouldn't i take more damage then metaknight himself?
you can shield and grab while holding the grenade.If you feel its too risky you can walk with the grenade,roll backwards and pivot grab if they are dashing towards you.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
anything on stages for GW?

i took one to BF and i kinda got ***** there...he kept falling through the stage and then he does a turtle to nair.

what stages should i strike/ban/and counter?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Take G&W to FD. He ***** on RC so I would ban that for sure and does better on Norfair than Snake does. Basically avoid stages with lots of platforms, and I would almost avoid stages with low ceilings as well, due to his insane vertical killing power with dsmash and usmash.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

Diddy Kong can cover some bad Snake matchups (Dedede and Pikachu come to mind) (Snake vs. Pikachu is much worse than 47:53, trust me), same story with Falco or even Zero Suit Samus.

It's really just preference.
snakes only really terrible matchups are olimar and dedede imo.
other tricky ones are pikachu, falco, and diddy

MK handles most of them, obv
Kirby is a pretty good choice too.

I also like to use Kirby against other snakes because I'm not great at the ditto nowadays (even though its a bad matchup for kirby..most ppl don't seem to know the matchup...and my snake gets wrecked by a good kirby daily so I know all the tricks to use)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
How do you guys play Peaches? I find that a difficult matchup.
uptilt everything
get real close to her and shield grab her aerials before she can get a chance to auto cancel them. throw stuff
also, don't get hit by turnips, a good peach can turn one turnip into like 40 damage

shield camping basically though. don't drop you shield in the middle of a dair. just block the whole thing then grab if she's low enough, if not uptilt. and if the fair is spaced properly, keep blocking. wait for the jabs and do move of choice...look out for mindamges after their jabs get punished a few times

throw stuff at metaknight.
a metaknight isn't going to just run up and grab you if he's good.
if the Mk is just dash grabbing you, ftilt him/grab him first/pivot grab.
if he's running up and shielding, grab him.
if he's running up and spot dodging jab-ftilt
if you can't predict him, pivot grabbing/grenade grabbing seems to be the safest things to throw out, otherwise... run away and throw stuff
don't shield drop grenades if you know you're going to get grabbed, just hold a grenade, but even so I think d-throw is the only throw that blows up the grenade.

stay out of the air. if you're in the air
metaknights are going wait for you to screw up and punish you.
b-reversal grenade momentum shift is essential...and you'll be surprise how often you can just fastfall a bair because the MK is expecting you to airdodge, so he's not attacking, so you just kick the **** out of him
if you're at low or medium damage, holding grenades in the air pretty much forces them to wait for you to get to the ground...sometimes this helps...but often times they just grab you when you hit the ground

throw a lot of stuff at him. mortar slide a lot since mk's like to fly around. surprise nairs are good too, just don't get caught slippin with a nair

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
I know this has probably been asked alot but for some reason lately, albeit on wifi, I have this friend that plays as Lucraio and he has been camping Aura Sphere A LOT. Normally this would seem like no problem as i would power shield, powershield, powershield, approach, etc. but i can (due to wifi) so i was wondering if there is any other way i could approach a campy lucraio or Insert Character Here.

Every time i try to come in with a short hop air dodge he just uses Fsmash.
Sorry for the nooby question :urg:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
no no, d3 is doable. olimar, on the other hand, is not. definately harder than d3. pivot grabs dominate your approaches, and he outcamps you fairly easily.
Except his camping doesn't kill you. Your camping kills him.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Except his camping doesn't kill you. Your camping kills him.
it doesnt kill you straight away (although purples just might...), but it does suck your health, disminish your moves and red ones blow up your nades. once youre at like 120% a massively ranged blue pivot grab will kill you easy too...

.AC.

Smash Lord
it doesnt kill you straight away (although purples just might...), but it does suck your health, disminish your moves and red ones blow up your nades. once youre at like 120% a massively ranged blue pivot grab will kill you easy too...
it wont kill you at 120

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
pikmin > grenades.

pikmin latch on. sometimes jab knocks them off, uptilt does, but then olimar grabs you while your uptilting, and does whatever gonzo combo the player is fond of

or you can let them eat you for 40 damage while you find some free time to knock them off

whenever snake tries to do anything...you just get pivot grabbed.

rinse repeat.

all they have to do is avoid a couple grenades

only a bad olimar will lose to a snake.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
pikmin > grenades.

pikmin latch on. sometimes jab knocks them off, uptilt does, but then olimar grabs you while your uptilting, and does whatever gonzo combo the player is fond of

or you can let them eat you for 40 damage while you find some free time to knock them off

whenever snake tries to do anything...you just get pivot grabbed.

rinse repeat.

all they have to do is avoid a couple grenades

only a bad olimar will lose to a snake.
So true.

I thought you played Diddy T1J. When you start playin snake? Jw

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
When you're playing on a stage with platforms, say battlefield, for sake of example, what different strategies should you incorporate in your game? I understand that the C4 on platforms creates a hitbox underneath the platform, but that's pretty much it. I don't really know how to go about using them to my advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom