• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It limits opponents rolls, you can hit them into it. Also grenades have that similiar hitbox.

Also extremely situational and recovery dependant (almost none) you can stand on the platform and charge a forward smash, the hitbox is decieving. (I've gotten plenty of kills doing this)

SuSa

Any advice for SH uair'ing Wario from a grab release WITHOUT TAP JUMP?

I seriously can't seem to buffer it properly... I sort of stand there, or I do the jump/c-stick glitch thing (can't understand the physics it happens like this: Jump > Weird backwards momentum)

(Also I may be turning Tap Jump back ON and practicing the slightly stricter time on the DACUS.... Tap Jump ON actually helps with a few more things, one being the boost for using up-B after the jump.... it's great for using after chasing someone off stage (________ knows why you'd do this...)

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Any advice for SH uair'ing Wario from a grab release WITHOUT TAP JUMP?

I seriously can't seem to buffer it properly... I sort of stand there, or I do the jump/c-stick glitch thing (can't understand the physics it happens like this: Jump > Weird backwards momentum)

(Also I may be turning Tap Jump back ON and practicing the slightly stricter time on the DACUS.... Tap Jump ON actually helps with a few more things, one being the boost for using up-B after the jump.... it's great for using after chasing someone off stage (________ knows why you'd do this...)
That happens to me all the time! I hate it. I try to punish people who roll back and forth too much, and when they're right underneath/ in me and I go for a dair, that stupid short hop going backwards happens.

I used to think it was cause by tilting the c-stick. You can tilt samus' fsmash up or down. I thought the jump thing was caused by tilting the c-stick diagnolly down instead of straight down. I haven't tested, but maybe i will tomorrow. See if I can replicate it : /

SuSa

The thing is I always SMASH my c-stick the direction I want it to go.... :x

I really want to know the timing on the c-stick with the jump for this because... it's... annoying... when it happens.... :/ I've missed plenty of KO's due to it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont think i can go back to tap jump on. I have really sloppy fingers (which is why Im not great at melee) so I CONSTANTLY upsmash instead of uptilt with tap jump on...then again, I do it with tap jump off too...but not as much :-P

So true.

I thought you played Diddy T1J. When you start playin snake? Jw
i used to secondary snake, then I started actually getting money in tournaments when I played him so I switched to him full time :-P

but snake is a beast, he's become my favorite character. and he has one of the deepest metagames in brawl

diddy is really fun though, and I'd like to play him
but the only match ups diddy is better than snake in is olimar and dedede

and I go MK in both those matchups so :-/

i might pull out diddy more often though, i played him in friendlies the other day and it was fun :-P

speaking of diddys...

what are you guys' best ways to deal with diddy's bananas. as we all know Diddy's main strategy is throw banana, then cartwheel/grab. and most diddys will still grab you even if you shield the banana...soo
the basic is
1. shield banana throw
2. ?????
3. PROFIT

what do you do? sometimes a roll backward to avoid the dash attack/grab, then ftilt works...but I want to know if theres something more efficient. Like MK can shield banana, then SH dair, simple. something simple and trustworthy like that, does snake have any good options?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Whenever I kill an opponent and they come back with some invincible frames, whats the best way to avoid them? Normally I try to charge an u-smash and time the amount of invincible frames that they have left, but sometimes it doesn't work out too well.

IxxI

Smash Fence
You can run away, retreat by throwing soft throwing nades; I mean, there are A LOT of options.
Just play as if you are trying to get space from your opponent.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
ok so guess ill just try to mortar slide away, but I tend to not use grenades because I usually get hit and the nade blows up in my face while my opponent takes no damage. Thanks for the help though.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
i used to secondary snake, then I started actually getting money in tournaments when I played him so I switched to him full time :-P

but snake is a beast, he's become my favorite character. and he has one of the deepest metagames in brawl

diddy is really fun though, and I'd like to play him
but the only match ups diddy is better than snake in is olimar and dedede

and I go MK in both those matchups so :-/

i might pull out diddy more often though, i played him in friendlies the other day and it was fun :-P
Haha alright i was jw b/c i remember that at a Waba games tourney A LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time ago you mained diddy and i was jw when you made the switch.

Anyways yeah you need to head over to another GA tourney soon, i'd be fun getting to play with you or something.

As for the Short hop uair on wario out of release grab, i've never really had this problem. Idk why? I have tap jump off and the short hop to uair works just fine every time. Hmm? idk what the problem could be?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
It limits opponents rolls, you can hit them into it. Also grenades have that similiar hitbox.

Also extremely situational and recovery dependant (almost none) you can stand on the platform and charge a forward smash, the hitbox is decieving. (I've gotten plenty of kills doing this)
So from what you're saying about the grenades/c4 on platforms, a grenade on top and one on bottom would be pretty solid for edgeguarding? Seems like they give snake a huge edge on platforms.

SuSa

So from what you're saying about the grenades/c4 on platforms, a grenade on top and one on bottom would be pretty solid for edgeguarding? Seems like they give snake a huge edge on platforms.
I prefer grenade near back on platform, c4 closer to edge, mine between the two and me standing back further tossing my extra grenade (SH short toss or actually try to hit htem with it) or I stand near the edge and edgeguard (bair/nair/ftilt etc)

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
OK I have two questions to the Ftilt lock.

1) When I time two Ftilts (First Hit) perfect together, how much frames does my oppenant has to do something ???

2) Cant test it: Can he just hold shield-button to shield the 2nd ftilt or has he to buffer it or something like this o_O ???

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Well, I've played some people with my snake recently and it's all going really well surprisingly enough. Only thing I needed to work on was ledge pressuring. What can I do to keep people from getting back up? I lay a grenade and usually sit back and toss one, or I Nair with grenades, but I feel like I'm left vulnerable if I Nair.

.decoy

Smash Ace
if an mk is dtilting you at the ledge, what options do you have?
its hard to snap to the ledge given the hitbox, but is it possible if you come from under?
i haven't really tried it so much ive just been messed up by it recently.
or is the best choice to just di away and cypher/c4 higher.

edit: just to clarify youre off the stage getting tilted.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I've seen some vids of Snakes sliding forward while shield dropping grenades, how do you do that?
can i see the vid?

Well, I've played some people with my snake recently and it's all going really well surprisingly enough. Only thing I needed to work on was ledge pressuring. What can I do to keep people from getting back up? I lay a grenade and usually sit back and toss one, or I Nair with grenades, but I feel like I'm left vulnerable if I Nair.
well it depends on the player and the player's characters. Honestly a whole thread could be devoted to edgeguarding techniques, but snake has lots of options.
a pretty safe bet against a lot of characters is to mortar slide to the edge and charge the upsmash to a moderate height, and then immediately edgehog. the mortar will come down through your invicibility frames so it wont hit you but it will still guard the ledge, so you can edge hog and attack at the same time...and from this position you can do a ledge drop bair if your opponent is in range, or a ledge hop uair/fair or roll up attack if the opponent get back on the stage... this doesn't really affect people who are going to recover high for those you're just going to have to pressure them with mortars, grenades, c4, mines and use your brain to predict them. don't just throw out random nair...do a nair if you believe the opponet is going to ledge hop or rising jump from the ledge. block-->grab/ftilt if you believe they will roll up attack, space a fair/fsmash/jab/ etc if you think they will roll up or stand up. just learn your opponent tendencies...or just throw grenades and stuff and **** them moar when they get back on the stage.

its hard to snap to the ledge given the hitbox, but is it possible if you come from under?

if you have a jump and are in range, you can try a mid-air jump to upair hitting the metaknight. otherwise i'm pretty sure you can't sweet spot through MK ditlt, so you'll have to use c4

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to know if I'm alone in doing this...

But does anyone use the nikita frequently by aiming it somewhere then pressing A (disengaging it) and so using it as a falling bomb of sorts? I use it either when the person is close and automatically press A causing a close explosion that will damage them and not me or if they're offstage and need to get back up I aim it above the stage and let it drop onto them as they try to recover...

don't really see any Snakes doing it so wanted to know if I was alone?

tocador

Smash Lord

But does anyone use the nikita frequently by aiming it somewhere then pressing A (disengaging it) and so using it as a falling bomb of sorts? I use it either when the person is close and automatically press A causing a close explosion that will damage them and not me or if they're offstage and need to get back up I aim it above the stage and let it drop onto them as they try to recover...

Usually people only use nikita if they have used ALL the other explosives, as a last resort to kill. Yeah, sure is kinda good to use it in close range sometimes, but the startup/end lag makes it kinda hard to be a good move.

A example is: nades come out faster and explode on contact, making nikita in close range useless.

The only time i see it being used is when you recover high and drop it to protect you, or when you have the field ready and want to make someone approach, or jsut to rack some %.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion

Save your jump, DI away until you're not getting hit and let yourself fall low enough to where when you jump you're not going to go high enough to get poked by the tilt and grab the ledge.

I've seen some vids of Snakes sliding forward while shield dropping grenades, how do you do that?
Just shield drop it from a run?

Why is that EVEN snake not being the heaviest character in the game, he is the one that lives the most?
Cause we snake mains are too pro at DI :)

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Just crawl until he stops shooting. You can do absolutely anything from a crawl that you can do from a normal standing/walking position. Just get used to the distance it takes for the falco to stop shooting and adapt from there.

Also, if you're winning by percentage/stock then why even approach at all? Just sit there in a crouch and he will have to come to you eventually.

SuSa

Just crawl until he stops shooting. You can do absolutely anything from a crawl that you can do from a normal standing/walking position. Just get used to the distance it takes for the falco to stop shooting and adapt from there.

Also, if you're winning by percentage/stock then why even approach at all? Just sit there in a crouch and he will have to come to you eventually.

This.

Also at certain distances and times you can mortarslide from crouch and hit him. You'll learn these with practice.

I have no issues with a Falco camping me, unless he has the lead.

Lawlmahbawls

Smash Journeyman

I only use it when I recover waaaaay up high and can cancel and use it as a sheild to fall down with. Works very nicely

This.

Also at certain distances and times you can mortarslide from crouch and hit him. You'll learn these with practice.

Which I see absolutly no point in permante camping anyway. It seems rather pointless anyway as it takes forever to rack damage up with simply lasers. I say just space yourself properly in CQC and midrange against people.

Which might explain everytime I play brawl all my matches end up evenish against most people. Constant risk of getting hit.

.AC.

Smash Lord

This.

your camping eventually kills him,his doesnt,unless he has a stock lead he will have to eventually aproach.

your camping eventually kills him,his doesnt,unless he has a stock lead he will have to eventually aproach.
Camping can kill Snake if it back fires upon you. Anytime snake requires himself to throw a grenade he must stand up. Falco, with good timing, could time a laser to hit snake as he tries to fire the grenade, thus failing to throw which drops it out of his hand and explodes himself. Plus, a properly timed reflector I believe will absorb the hit from the grenade explosion if done towards the end of the reflectors reach.

But you are always right, crouch with your lead, falco advances.

NNID
Budget_Player

I don't. They start, deal 3 damage, and I have to approach. >.>

and plus to what ken neth said, you can just powershield the lasers while approaching.
True....

This.

I did not know I could do everything out of crouch (I thought just dtilt :laugh:). That should make things easier. I didn't have a lead, and it's kinda hard to get around falco sometimes... but yeah. Thanks guys. :)

IxxI

Smash Fence
I know this has been answered a lot, but you momentum cancel with a fast-fall'd airdodge when you are hit horizontally and a BAir when hit vertically? Right?

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this question has been asked before but there are too many pages for me to check through.

Is there a way to stop the Nikita missile before it hits something, or the actual time you lose control over it?

Oh and also, I've seen Ally do this in a few videos on youtube. He somehow dropped and activated two C4s together. How is this possible? I tried search for it in guides but I couldn't find it.

EDIT: Nevermind the first question I figured it out.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Push L or R to cancel the nikita.

You can't drop two c4s.. You must've mistaken a grenade or a mine or something for the second c4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom