• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

.decoy

Smash Ace
question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsG5filv--M&fmt=18

throughout this video afrothunder is like running and then shielding, but it looks like he kinda slides while he shields, and his shield comes up quite quickly (like a bunch of times around 1:04 to 1:10).

is there any thing you need to do to cancel the dash with a shield?
it would seem to me that when i am running and shield there is a moment of lag in which im stuck trying to stop running before the shield comes up.

or is it just that you can't be dashing? (must be running)

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
In a related grenade question, how far do they decay?

And I, for some reason, have trouble airdodge canceling into throw after I do the upwards throw thing.

That ^

I can't get it to work consistently. The timing's really weird.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
.decoy- You can't shield cancel when you are in the initial dash frames. Once you pass those initial dash frames you can shield cancel at any time during the running frames.

grimmy, what do you mean by air dodge canceling into a throw? Just like jumping and catching it with an air dodge and throwing it or what?

.decoy- You can't shield cancel when you are in the initial dash frames. Once you pass those initial dash frames you can shield cancel at any time during the running frames.

grimmy, what do you mean by air dodge canceling into a throw? Just like jumping and catching it with an air dodge and throwing it or what?
I think the problem he is having is doing the light toss all the time. To get that you have to pull the control stick towards Snake when you release the special button.

After that I have no idea what he is referring to. It might be to try to jump up airdodge it to catch and throw.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Gr1mmy: I wouldn't airdodge cancel throw out of a short toss. <_< You have to full hop + Z catch it and at the same time throw it.

It's easier out of shield.

B > Shield > JUMP + Airdodge + A to throw almost instantly.

tocador

Smash Lord
I've heard that to knock Snake out of his UP-B you need a attack that causes x% or plus, and that is it causes x-1% it wont knock him out of cypher, no matter the knockback value.

That being said, will luigi D-taunt spike knock him out of cypher? *ps: D-taunt = 2%, but the only true spike in brawl*

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I've heard that to knock Snake out of his UP-B you need a attack that causes x% or plus, and that is it causes x-1% it wont knock him out of cypher, no matter the knockback value.

That being said, will luigi D-taunt spike knock him out of cypher? *ps: D-taunt = 2%, but the only true spike in brawl*
I just tried it in training and it didn't. Snake's just that bad***.

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
Gr1mmy: I wouldn't airdodge cancel throw out of a short toss. <_< You have to full hop + Z catch it and at the same time throw it.

It's easier out of shield.

B > Shield > JUMP + Airdodge + A to throw almost instantly.

Yeah, I can do that just fine. So, it's just too impractical to learn?

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, bad wording on my part.

Offtopic, who's that char in your avvie =3 I should get my avvies and **** up soon.

SuSa

I mean to say doing it OoS is better then short tossing in most every way. Short tossing just takes to much time and throws it a LITTLE higher. That LITTLE height isn't really worth it.

Marta from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (or something like that. lmao)

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I do OoS short tossing. I just felt like learning the short toss may be a good way to mix things up. I think it has some ability to fight air camping as well.

Oh Tales of Symph. Dammit, I wish I had a gamecube.

SuSa

Zelos is stupid. Also ToS1 >>>>> ToS2. ToS2 had a slightly deeper storyline IMO but gameplay was pretty lacking and the game itself was a joke until near the end where I started having a few problems.

I'm glad it had Regal and Presea in it. Presea is kickass.

Now then SOCIAL CHAT BEFORE I START INFRACTING >:o RAWR!

/last social post in Q&A thread

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
SuSa avatar must be from the new Tales of Symphonia. I have the gamecube one, the first ToS, and I don't recognize that character. I don't like air canceled nade tossing. I only use it when I have a nade floating around somewhere or if there's a cooked nade in the air.

Edit: I type too slow :(

SuSa

That's something I've actually never even thought to check for. We should see how long it is canceled at the soonest moment, and how long it lasts.

Cypher
Pulls out Cypher at frame 4
Is a projectile until it disappears or explodes.
So at 60FPS, we can drop on 47/60th of a second (do the math) and 110 or 119 is how long it lasts.

I need to contact EY to see if he wants to do frame data for exactly how long until a C4 detonates itself or a mine. So we can get it down to PRECISELY rather then my "hope I get it right" testing.

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I see.

Can cypher itself get attacked through? Or does it actually have to hit snake to get him to let go of it.

Veggieburger_802

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7958-8584-9570
A very quick Snake question, just to settle an argument with my friend: Does his Fsmash have the most potential knockback of any Fsmash in the game? Thanks for the info :D

SuSa

I'm pretty sure we have the 2nd most knockback (Behind D3's sweetspotted fsmash) with better growth then D3's (which means eventually we have more knockback)

But I can't remember perfectly... ;_;

napZzz

Smash Hero
Is jab-grab true as in inescapable when done right?

err I mean when they are grounded. Cuz I know jab has different properties in the air if I remember to keep them in front of you in the air for it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
no, I'm not even sure if it can be interrupted by attacks(I'm 95% sure that it can), but it can be DI'd out of regardless

SuSa

There is a certain part of the jab that I do think makes the grab guarenteed. It puts them into a 'stun' animation long enough to grab.

But even then, I think proper DI+SDI can get them out. (Although 80-90% of the time I've been able to buffer jab > grab Kirby after a dthrow)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I was watching Ally vs. AlhpaZealot to learn about the Diddy matchup, and I noticed a few things.

1. He didn't ban FD. Was this just a personal thing for Ally or is FD not that bad against Diddy?
2. I noticed him going after the bananas a lot and not using grenades or C4 nearly as much compared to how much Snakes normally do. Is this generally the correct thing to do in the matchup?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I like FD because it gives you more room to maneuver and such. I actually ban smashville when I fight Diddy, cause there's no room to get away from his bananas and there's only one platform..

And it's crucial to take control of Diddy's bananas in this matchup. It's also smart to keep his bananas away from each other so he can't get ridiculous banana locks across the stage. So I think you'll probably use grenades/c4 a little less than normal since you're focusing on his bananas, but it just depends on your playstyle.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Oh, lol. I opened up that link in another tab just to see what it was, and I never got around to checking that other tab XD

etecoon

Smash Hero
So I was watching Ally vs. AlhpaZealot to learn about the Diddy matchup, and I noticed a few things.

1. He didn't ban FD. Was this just a personal thing for Ally or is FD not that bad against Diddy?
2. I noticed him going after the bananas a lot and not using grenades or C4 nearly as much compared to how much Snakes normally do. Is this generally the correct thing to do in the matchup?
1. I don't think FD is that bad for snake against anyone, it's partly a personal thing I think though, he hasn't banned or even counterpicked that stage against a lot of characters where it doesn't make sense by conventional widsom...but I agree with ken, I'd ban a smaller stage like BF/SV/YI against diddy, snake can be really awkward in small spaces...

2. explosives tend to cause a lot of collateral damage in this matchup, it seems a lot better to only use nades much in certain situations than as often as against most other characters, snake also handles banana's pretty well himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom