• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznNoob123

Smash Rookie
can I get some help on dealing with DeDeDe's CG as snake?

i use mortar slide and nades to camp dedede but eventually have to get in some stronger abilities to send him off, I've been playing some matches with my friend's dedede this week (like 112 matches total)

and my only opportunities to finish him is to ftilt him off stage and while he is still trying to recover, single jump offstage with an Nair or Fair. Sometimes works, sometimes misses and forces me into an recovery situation (I double jump immediately and Cypher (it makes the cypher go up faster appearantly)

I sorta stale uptilt to pressure him off me because I have difficulties when it comes to saving uptilt for that finisher because i have problems landing it (Dthrow,1st hit of Ftilt, 1st hit of jab, or jsut by itself)

But after all my hard work , I get grabbed and chaingrabbed, when I try to drop a nade while in chain grab its usually baited by him so that it would put me in a bad position ( open to a Bair which leads to a gimp or high percentage gain) but if I dont use nade, I get chaingrabbed to the ledge, FThrow'd or filted and put into a bad situation to be F and Bair'd , or stage spiked. IF i manage grab the ledge during the end of the CG, my options are only to drop down and jump with an Uair, ledge jump into an Air dodge or Nair/Dair, he seems to punish my ledgeroll which leads into a backthrow.

Any good strategies to deal with the fact of being CG'd?

Also what is the safest method to land on the stage when recovering from a vertical knockback?

or is my main problem that I'm not 4th player port? I'm using 1st , he is using 2nd

.decoy

Smash Ace
theres no way to "deal" with a chaingrab...once youre in it youre in it. you can't pull out a grenade if they buffer the grab properly. don't get grabbed lol.

i try to grab the ledge...ddd ***** cypher with whatever aerial he wants. if he throws you off the stage though you could recover high. you can try to breversal to mix up your landing, hopefully you dont get grabbed again. also don't go to fd lol. take bf or yoshis or something, recover to a platform.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Is this known, I honestly don't main Snake?

Pull Grenade, Spot dodge (You want to hit Diaganol and Forward/Backward when you spot dodge)

What Snake does is a sliding Spot dodge. You can Shield out of this instead of Spot dodging

Firyou

Smash Rookie
QUESTION.
Can you plant C4's onto a sheild that is directly beside you? or do you need to be like above it O_O.

Firyou

Smash Rookie
Yeah that's what I meant, I received faulty information that you could plant c4s onto players from above them.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
could you guys critique my snake a bit? I would have put it in the video thread but that one doesn't seem very active.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qp29z8-wy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwvJFbVbbx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2wv6-2zPTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyhi5L6wJ18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueY_Gi4YLjs

this is the 2nd grand finals set from this weekend and was much more competitive than the first. I was coming in from losers.

Match 3 and 4 are both on castle siege 1st one i lose and 2nd one i win so maybe that would be a good way to compare what i do wrong to what i do right.

Also Match 5 i got ***** so that would be another good one to point out flaws in.

mofo_

Smash Ace
are there any cool combos you can set up for when someone transforms....ZSS/shiek/PKMN trainer.....probably not since loading times differ

.decoy

Smash Ace
could you guys critique my snake a bit? I would have put it in the video thread but that one doesn't seem very active.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qp29z8-wy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwvJFbVbbx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2wv6-2zPTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyhi5L6wJ18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueY_Gi4YLjs

this is the 2nd grand finals set from this weekend and was much more competitive than the first. I was coming in from losers.

Match 3 and 4 are both on castle siege 1st one i lose and 2nd one i win so maybe that would be a good way to compare what i do wrong to what i do right.

Also Match 5 i got ***** so that would be another good one to point out flaws in.
you momentum cancel with dair..should be bair.

also try breversal to mix up your landing instead of airdodging or dropping an nikita.

@Mofo: Fsmash. That is the only combo you need to pwn those you happen to catch when changing. On a more serious note, there isn't probably anything you can set-up in the time it would take for them to change.

.decoy

Smash Ace
Those nikitas where supposed to be B reverses :(

Thanks for the momentum canceling bit though I'll do that.
sorry, i meant b reversing nades. nikita has too much lag on it to be really useful that close to the ground. you end up getting punished when landing. grenades have no lag when you land, you can roll or w/e right away. or even if you get hit they counter. s'all better. in fact you could brevers a grende / c4, then ffall a bair or something. just to mix it up.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I think he means that the nikitas were supposed to be b reversed grenades, but I could be wrong. That's just what I'd do every time I messed up my b reversals when I was learning them.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I was messing around with textures and noticed something odd about the Nikita launching animation. In the air, you have control over your horizontal air movement. You can use this to your advantage to slide off a higher platform to go to a lower one. You slide when landing so you can use this to slide off the edge of a platform. So was this known already?

.decoy

Smash Ace
I think he means that the nikitas were supposed to be b reversed grenades, but I could be wrong. That's just what I'd do every time I messed up my b reversals when I was learning them.
didn't read what he said lol...i thought he just said he did in fact breversal the nikita.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Well I want to pick up Snake as a competitive character. I'm no noob but I'm kind of dumb when it comes to things that other people seem to know how to do already. A good thing is that I'm very obedient and good at doing what I'm told. So as of now I want to learn how to camp... and when I say camp I mean it's gonna be daaaamn hard to approach me as snake. I just have no idea how xD... anyone wanna fill me in on what I should be doing?

Don't be afraid to go into detailed things on what to do, I assure you I can keep up. What I mean by this is don't be afraid to explain WHY I should be doing things because the clearer something is to me the better I can be creative with it. Thanks in advance Snake boards!

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
Well I want to pick up Snake as a competitive character. I'm no noob but I'm kind of dumb when it comes to things that other people seem to know how to do already. A good thing is that I'm very obedient and good at doing what I'm told. So as of now I want to learn how to camp... and when I say camp I mean it's gonna be daaaamn hard to approach me as snake. I just have no idea how xD... anyone wanna fill me in on what I should be doing?

Don't be afraid to go into detailed things on what to do, I assure you I can keep up. What I mean by this is don't be afraid to explain WHY I should be doing things because the clearer something is to me the better I can be creative with it. Thanks in advance Snake boards!
hmm well when i camp with snake there's two for me offensive and defensive. offensive is when grabbing a nade run near your oppoent then shield or just generally nade and shield.
defensive camping is cooking nades and limiting approaches as lofting one nade near your oppoent and keeping one near you. best exampe of easy camping is vs a aggresive mk you knw hes gonna try to nado or grab you so just shield nade. and Same thing as ic's.
Thats the best i can really explain it in writing.hoped i helped abit

PinkFloydEchoes

Smash Rookie
hmm well when i camp with snake there's two for me offensive and defensive. offensive is when grabbing a nade run near your oppoent then shield or just generally nade and shield.
defensive camping is cooking nades and limiting approaches as lofting one nade near your oppoent and keeping one near you. best exampe of easy camping is vs a aggresive mk you knw hes gonna try to nado or grab you so just shield nade. and Same thing as ic's.
Thats the best i can really explain it in writing.hoped i helped abit
This, and also be careful if they try to throw your nades back at you, use nade stripping.
also if they approach with an aerial SH N-air can be good to counter that, but try to stay on the gound mostly and space with ftilts, lots of nades, and work on grabbing and chasing with dthrow.
when recovering, get as high as possible (best to jump and up-B at same time so you don't dip with the cypher before rising) and then lay a c4/change momentum with nades. Make sure there are explosives below you preventing them from juggling you (snake isnt so good in the air)

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Is there any form of a Snake Video Critique thread? I can't seem to find one here...

DerkTheJerk

Smash Journeyman
I don't really use my c4 on the stage I just use it for a second recovery move. Am i doing the right thing? it really helps me out when spiked.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Depends on your opponent, and percentage.

I tend to avoid using my C4 against DDD unless I'm platform camping.
I tend to avoid using it at any % below 60% against Meta Knight (and a few others. AKA: "The ones who can gimp well")

But I normally spam it like crazy. xD

Tennet

Smash Champion
yay my snake got better, i learned how to spam ftilt lol i gotta make up for before

TheMike

Smash Lord
Besides Ftilt(first hit), which other Snake attacks trips the opponent and its best follow ups(Ftilt inclued)?
And dos someone knows exactly at what part of the hitbox, Ftilt's first hit trips?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It's random, dair has a chance to trip.... but it leads into itself. lol

I think bair (sourspotted) has a chance to trip as well.

Note:
AFAIK There aren't really any attacks that trip with a part of a hitbox. It's a random chance.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
What happened to the thread on some sort of texas hyrulian thing where everyone has to be snake and try to kill each other while recovering? I can't find the thread where it showed youthe map...i'm trying to make the map right now...

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Whats the best way to get out of MKs Tornado ?

Mashing B to pull out a nade ? (Does this really work?)

Trying to SDI/DI up and jump ? (I always try this but it doesnt work everytime if the MK does it right)

Trying to SDI/DI to the side ? (OK I dont think this works)

The Problem is: I cant get out if I am already in the Tornado most of the time. So what should I do ? Or is there nothing a Snake can do about it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom