• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wow you seriously are a brick wall. Lucky that I am enjoying this 1 sided debate.

the side blast zones are really far away. if so good for getting them in the water the cieling blast zone is relatively close. uair doesnt have much KO ability unless your opponent is around a ridiculous percentage that perc isnt rediculous with a fresh Uair and a low ceiling...and yea, you get a free hit from dair, so what, its better then death. No, a free hit means Dair wall of Pain to death his gimping is destroyed because aside from the water dair thing, he cannot stop his opponents from coming back, they land on water, and keep on coming back. how? you will knock them off and edge hog them like you normally would. This puts them in the water which means Dair wall of pain to death his best KO option here would be to pop them up and hit them with a shuttle loop solves his vertical problems then doesnt it?

D

Deleted member

He has been given plenty of time. From some of the stories that have popped up in this thread, the ban can't come soon enough. The; as dubbed by SWF, 'magical strategies' aren't there to be found. Meta Knight is peerless. He puts a damper on the entire tournament scene and it's only going to get worse.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the side blast zones are really far away. the cieling blast zone is relatively close. uair doesnt have much KO ability unless your opponent is around a ridiculous percentage...and yea, you get a free hit from dair, so what, its better then death. his gimping is destroyed because aside from the water dair thing, he cannot stop his opponents from coming back, they land on water, and keep on coming back. his best KO option here would be to pop them up and hit them with a shuttle loop
yea you get a free down air...
and than they hit the water again
than you get another free down air
than they hit the water again,
they you get another free down air
see how the cycle works... eventually they will die from it

and @ Terios, my MK is buns too, but i can still 3 stock a sonic with him

lol
im starting to believe that the level in bboys sig is his ignorance

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
well w/e im outta here but pirate ship is better vs MK then say final destination or battlefield...can you say something about that? lol i don think so
Yes I can. Battle field is Ike's best stage.

edit: Pirate ship may not be MK's god sent but its not always best to take him there. What would sonic and jigs do there?

brinboy789

Smash Champion
yea you get a free down air...
and than they hit the water again
than you get another free down air
than they hit the water again,
they you get another free down air
see how the cycle works... eventually they will die from it

and @ Terios, my MK is buns too, but i can still 3 stock a sonic with him

lol
im starting to believe that the level in bboys sig is his ignorance
i tested thsi out already, and it works but its situational because they have to he at around a certain % or else they will go too far/close, and its extremely difficult to pull off. whatever you say, pirate ship is better then FD or battlefield, right?

kupo15

Smash Hero
well w/e im outta here but pirate ship is better vs MK then say final destination or battlefield...can you say something about that? lol i don think so
I think we already proved that it is the same if not maybe a little better for MK considering the low ceiling helps his weaker vertical game and ppl going in the water more often

Btw..MK has sweet/sour spots on his sword that make them go more horizontal and he can jump 5 times in the air.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
We only have one Meta player who comes to tourneys and no one really cared about Meta, until recently. here are some examples of what is happening here:

1. One of our top ten smashers plays a **** diddy and does extremely well vs almost everyone. Last week he got worked by our meta player, so he decided to pick up meta in the tourney this last saturday he was playing mostly Meta against everyone and doing just as good, if not better, as his Diddy would have.

2. three other players have also recently switched their mains over to Meta recently.

3. The meta player is my best friend and we play each other many hours each week. He beats me very consistently even though we are of pretty even skill and we have both been playing brawl the exact same amount of time (because I am the only person he ever smashes with, not counting tourneys).

On Thursday, after getting sick of getting worked with my mains, snake and oli, I was frustrated and decided to see how I did in Meta dittos. I had never really used Meta before and within the hour my Meta was doing better and winning more than any of my other characters had ever done. I then decided that if I ever go up against a Meta in tourney I was going to counter with Meta.

4. In the tourney I mentioned on Saturday, I got to the finals and I was playing against an extremely good sonic player who had only ever lost to two other players in tournament before (1st in state and my Meta friend). He counter picked Rainbow Cruise - which is bad for both of my mains, snake and olimar and really good for sonic- and I thought I was screwed and had lost the match no matter what. I decided to go Meta just for the heck of it. I two stocked him. Seeing how well my Meta did against him I finished out the rest of the set with Meta and didn't come close to losing another match. My Meta did better than my mains ever have, and probably ever will against him.

This is probably my number one reason for wanting him banned. Remember, I had only been using Meta since Thursday. No one should be able to beat the top in state with a character they have only been using for the past two days, let alone two stock him, myself included.

I have been talking to my Meta friend about this and even he agrees that Meta should be banned after reading part of this thread and seeing our experience at the tourney on Saturday. He thinks that he should be banned and he is the only one in the entire state who will be greatly impacted because he has been maining Meta since the beginning and has rarely used any other character.
just because i know the sonic player and im going to laugh at him and possibly make a thread about this...

and because it exemplifies what is happening everywhere, and it just gets worse every weekend

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I think we already proved that it is the same if not maybe a little better for MK considering the low ceiling helps his weaker vertical game and ppl going in the water more often
lol didnt we agree that low cieling sucks for him? he cant vertically KO unless his opponent is at ridiculous percents, his gimping + horizontal KO power is much better.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
i tested thsi out already, and it works but its situational because they have to he at around a certain % or else they will go too far/close, and its extremely difficult to pull off. whatever you say, pirate ship is better then FD or battlefield, right?
No you noob. There are a good # of characters that will do better on BF and FD than Pirate ship. Ike for example again.

Also it's not extremely difficult to pull off All your doing is Dair jump Dair jump. They can't go to close because all you have to do is move backwards a little bit. Not sure about the to far.

kupo15

Smash Hero
no we didnt agree. It was basically a bunch of ppl (myself included) providing good proof against you and you ignoring what we said and turning it into what you wanted. When did I say low ceilings suck for him? From all of the great reasons we gave countering you, I cant believe you are still refuting. You must be one poor MK main for me knowing more about your main than you do and I just picked him up 1 week ago. Or maybe you should open your eyes and read and process it. lol

Kel

Smash Master
When making rules for a tournament, as a TO it's your job to decide which rules you believe are the fairest for competition. You may go to smash tournaments for fun, I do too, but the competition is what brings people out in the first place. Metaknight is a competitive aspect to Brawl.

MK gets beaten all the time by a variety of characters. Therefore, he is beatable, and therefore not ban-worthy (not that we know of YET).

If everyone switches to MK, who the hell cares? He's a good character and if you want to use him, use him! Over 50% of Melee tournament attendees used Fox. Fox is the best character in Melee, but instead of banning him people learned to fight him better.

If "everyone" else at a tournament is truly only using MK, then learn how to fight MK with a specific character and plow through the tournament. Learn when to punish certain things and when to back off. I know how to fight MK because I've played as him a bunch.

It is still way too early to be using character matchup biases to ban a character. Just because you (the reader) may think that MK is unbeatable because your friend destroyed your Snake with MK means nothing in the competitive scheme. The game (**** I just lost the game lol) hasn't been out long enough and the meta-game is no where near developed enough to determine who will dominate in the future. Cutting MK out of the picture so hastily would only end up hurting the progression of Brawl's meta-game because we'd be removing a whole character; including his match ups, abilities, and anything the future may bring for Brawl that involves the character.

If you REALLY want to play Smash for fun, then why the hell are you playing Brawl anyway?

brinboy789

Smash Champion
No you noob. There are a good # of characters that will do better on BF and FD than Pirate ship. Ike for example again.

Also it's not extremely difficult to pull off All your doing is Dair jump Dair jump. They can't go to close because all you have to do is move backwards a little bit. Not sure about the to far.
for the most part, pirate ship is better then FD?BF. and MK ***** on battlefield btw...jeez, im trying to help you guys defeat him, and you guys are taking every idea away. whatever. pirate ship works with the majority of the cast then

brinboy789

Smash Champion

Btw..MK has sweet/sour spots on his sword that make them go more horizontal and he can jump 5 times in the air.
no we didnt agree. It was basically a bunch of ppl (myself included) providing good proof against you and you ignoring what we said and turning it into what you wanted. When did I say low ceilings suck for him? I cant believe you are refuting. You must be one poor MK main for me knowing more about your main than you do and I just picked him up 1 week ago
you said

I think we already proved that it is the same if not maybe a little better for MK considering the low ceiling helps his weaker vertical game

kupo15

Smash Hero
pirate ship works with the majority of the cast then
lol

read our facts for why this is not true. i have a hard time believing you did.

EDIT: Your point? How is that proof that you agree with us that low ceilings are good for MK? And Im confused, did you switch your opinion to MK is better on Pirate ship without us knowing?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
When making rules for a tournament, as a TO it's your job to decide which rules you believe are the fairest for competition. You may go to smash tournaments for fun, I do too, but the competition is what brings people out in the first place. Metaknight is a competitive aspect to Brawl.

MK gets beaten all the time by a variety of characters. Therefore, he is beatable, and therefore not ban-worthy (not that we know of YET).

If everyone switches to MK, who the hell cares? He's a good character and if you want to use him, use him! Over 50% of Melee tournament attendees used Fox. Fox is the best character in Melee, but instead of banning him people learned to fight him better.

If "everyone" else at a tournament is truly only using MK, then learn how to fight MK with a specific character and plow through the tournament. Learn when to punish certain things and when to back off. I know how to fight MK because I've played as him a bunch.

It is still way too early to be using character matchup biases to ban a character. Just because you (the reader) may think that MK is unbeatable because your friend destroyed your Snake with MK means nothing in the competitive scheme. The game (**** I just lost the game lol) hasn't been out long enough and the meta-game is no where near developed enough to determine who will dominate in the future. Cutting MK out of the picture so hastily would only end up hurting the progression of Brawl's meta-game because we'd be removing a whole character; including his match ups, abilities, and anything the future may bring for Brawl that involves the character.

If you REALLY want to play Smash for fun, then why the hell are you playing Brawl anyway?
The Fox melee analogy doesn't actually work it's been said before. To put it simple it goes like this.

Fox > melee cast
MK>>brawl cast

As to how effective they are not the match ups.

I also doubt anyone in here just wants MK banned because there friend beat there snake with MK.

and Last thing. would you find 7 hours of MK dittos fun at every tournament you go to? If not then you shouldn't say "if everyone switches to MK who cares".

Infern Angelis

Smash Master

^What he said

kupo15

Smash Hero
Quoted Ken Neth:

"No one should be able to beat the top in state with a character they have only been using for the past two days, let alone two stock him, myself included."

Im sure this Sonic player could **** a 2 day old Snake player

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
The comparison is faulty. Fox had neutral matchups, and Fox could be gimped.

MK's existance by nature completely undermines the concept of counterpicks. He ALWAYS has the advantage, no matter what. Sure, it's possible to beat MK's that are not as good as you- but at the current point in the metagame, it is impossible (or highly improbable?) to beat a high level MK (DSF, Azen, M2K) without, in turn, playing MK. DSF was unable to do it with Snake, MK's closest-to-neutral matchup other than himself, and did better dittoing with Metaknight.

This is just overgeneralization. You don't have fun with Brawl and only play for money? Not everyone has the same tastes as you. "Melee is more fun" is completely irrelevant, because it doesn't prevent people from having fun.

and Last thing. would you find 7 hours of MK dittos fun at every tournament you go to? If not then you shouldn't say "if everyone switches to MK who cares".
This is Sirlin-purism: if you're playing for fun, then you aren't playing to win, and thus a scrub.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
That is an unfair comparason completely. As it has been stated numerous times before fox is not like MK. Fox is gimpable. Fox is chain grabbable by multiple characters (marth 0-death, peach, luigi, fox DK etc). Fox is wrecked in combos (peach, marth 0-death once again, falco 0-70, dk 0-death). And I won't forget to mention that ANY approach in melee is completely counterable with dash dancing and proper spacing.
How does MK in brawl compare to this? Are you going do dash dance and counter MK's approach? You can't with brawl's dash dance mechanics or just due to the fact that most characters simply don't move quick enough to get out of MK's way and punish him during his minimal lag. You can shield, hope they Dsmash or Ftilt with improper spacing or dash attack after baiting them with a quick retreating short hop (possible, since dash attack has more range than sh fair and could be used to punish short hops). But good MKs are ones who don't make those mistakes. What's left? Challenging MK's attacks? His priority is huge!
He's not like fox. Fox wreaks and gets wreacked because he has many disadvantageous situations. MK just wrecks and has no clear disadvantageous situations.

Tien2500

Smash Lord

Meta Knight is not just too good. He's broken. His lack of lag at all is just something that really pretty much breaks the game. You can train against him all you want but really you're not going to have any opening to attack him at all.

D

Deleted member

More accurately, Meta Knight's userbase is expanding at an exponential rate, so every other character is getting less playtime / less development, when they are already being beaten most of the time by MK.

As Burrito said, Meta Knight is incomparable to Fox, perhaps due to the slower gameplay of Brawl. At the highest level of play, Meta Knight is unbeatable, unless by a fluke.

Good luck to you. No breakthroughs with Meta Knight have occured over the seven months that Brawl has been out, optimistic posters on these boards are even showing some doubt that his position in god tier will ever deteriorate.

Precisely; fun. That is exactly why Meta Knight is almost impeached... he detracts from the fun of the game, because he is broken. No one else is as good as him or has as good match-ups, so he absorbs a lot of the game as a permitted character. MK dittos are not fun, to watch or play, in my opinion. Mainly, though, without him, the meta-game would open up incredibly.

∫unk

Smash Master

Wow and you're a SBRer? Your logic fails on so many levels and you contradict yourself (read your own post carefully).

There's too many things wrong in your argument for me to prove invalid in the few minutes I have right now, so let me know if you want a full analysis on why you're horribly horribly wrong and I'll elaborate later.

salaboB

Smash Champion
People have been trying this.

They tend to lose at the end, anyway.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Quoted Ken Neth:

"No one should be able to beat the top in state with a character they have only been using for the past two days, let alone two stock him, myself included."

Im sure this Sonic player could **** a 2 day old Snake player
he could, this is trufax

@bboy
gtfo please

D

Deleted member

A thought came to me just now... if Meta Knight supposedly has some big, secret weakness ahead of him, there's no reason that we cannot be unbanned at that point. It would be frivolous to allow a broken character in the blind faith that he may gain a weakness, when he may not.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
If Brawl had a single decent counter to Meta Knight, then I would strongly agree with not banning him.

But that is simply not the case. Even Melee had decent counters for lots of the top tier characters.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
because if you ban him, his weakness wont be found, therefore ban forever
That's not true at all. Link was banned from the get go in SC2, yet people found all sorts of neat stuff for him and it turned out he was one of the best ring outers in the game.

But he was banned the entire duration of the metagame, and the SC2 community was much much smaller than the Brawl community as it is now.

D

Deleted member

because if you ban him, his weakness wont be found, therefore ban forever
At this point, it's more likely that his weakness will be found in another character. MK has no weaknesses personally.

Besides, banning him doesn't mean he can't be developed on or used in friendlies, it'll just slow down his development a tad. He's had the spotlight for months as it is, he's done [in a development sense] more than any other character.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If Brawl had a single decent counter to Meta Knight, then I would strongly agree with not banning him.

But that is simply not the case. Even Melee had decent counters for lots of the top tier characters.
couldnt have put it better myself, i feel the same way

That's not true at all. Link was banned from the get go in SC2, yet people found all sorts of neat stuff for him and it turned out he was one of the best ring outers in the game.

But he was banned the entire duration of the metagame, and the SC2 community was much much smaller than the Brawl community as it is now.
wow, thanks for this, its the best example ive heard in a good while, i played ps2 SC2 so i never saw the true abilities for spawn or link

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just me, but if Meta gets banned, I bet we'll see

so

many

johns about GW

that they will blot out the sun.

"Why the crap should I have to pick DK, Marth or Toon Link just to deal with the easiest to learn character in the game?"

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Those would be legitimate johns considering Game and Watch actually has counters.

On the other hand, Meta Knight has none whatsoever. Theoretically, it doesn't make sense not to play him.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer

so

many

johns about GW

"Why the crap should I have to pick DK, Marth or Toon Link just to deal with the easiest to learn character in the game?"
I agree, but there's a difference.

"Wah wah, G&W is so mean, wah wah"

response: "Learn to play Toon Link noob"

"Wah wah, MK is so mean, wah wah"

response: "Um...suck it up?"

See the difference? There's actually a valid response to the G&W john to prove it only a john. xD

EDIT: I swear Valdens is going to quote me on this next time I whine about losing to his G&W.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
This is Sirlin-purism: if you're playing for fun, then you aren't playing to win, and thus a scrub.
I'm not sure what sirlin-purism is I'm thinking its a person but idk. Anyways I actually don't mind this thought of playing for fun = scrub. I'll even agree to it because all it means is that M2K, Azen, DSF, RoyR, Dojo, and any other pro you can think of need scrubs. With out scrubs it will be a handful of people playing to win that end up winning a pathetic 50$ 1st place pot.

edit:I think I've heard Azen said he plays for fun before or at least that he plays the same in friendlies than in tournament matches.

so

many

johns about GW

Besides what people said about legitimate johns another thing I'd like to mention is that there are a lot of people who use this argument. That is all they have in common though this argument because they all say different characters. People say that one of the other top tiers will rise to MK's spot but the anti ban group doesn't agree on who.

With the anti ban group divided like this then there is sure to be more variety not just johns about 1 character.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The Fox melee analogy doesn't actually work it's been said before. To put it simple it goes like this.

Fox > melee cast
MK>>brawl cast

As to how effective they are not the match ups.
That's irrelevant to his point.

He's talking about usage, not power.

I also doubt anyone in here just wants MK banned because there friend beat there snake with MK.

So?

That's their character choice, if everyone is playing MK then learn to play around it, quit, or prove he's ban worthy.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
That's irrelevant to his point.

He's talking about usage, not power.

So?

That's their character choice, if everyone is playing MK then learn to play around it, quit, or prove he's ban worthy.

Thanks for telling me to go do what I've been doing.

edit: Nvm what I said. If he is actually talking about popularity then it is an even poorer argument because the pro-ban group is not complaining about him being popular its about him being broken.

Being popular does not lead to being broken. Being broken leads to being popular.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Umm read my last sentence in the 1st part of the quote.
I did, it holds no weight.

I didn't like the millions of Foxs and Marths running around in Melee, I still sucked it up and fought to find a way around it.

Thanks for telling me to go do what I've been doing. I hope you don't think you really refuted I said.
To remind you that you don't have to play MK if you don't want to see him get used.

Sick of Ditto match-ups? Find ways around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom