• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Chaingrab, good projectile (useful for blocking other projectiles, plus Gordos can KO), great killing power, strong, amazing Up-tilt and Back-Air (arguably the best in the air), furthest reaching f-tilt in the game, speedy D-tilt, great aerials, most damaging grabs in the game.

I don't mean he's better than Metaknight, I'm just saying he should be like one or two spots higher.
He's a good character, that's universally accepted. The thing is, everyone that's above him is better than he is. King Dedede gets hard countered by a handful of characters, for example Falco and Ice Climbers, and some of these characters such as Falco and Pikachu are fairly prominent in tournaments, thus holding DDD back slightly.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Oh?

Jigglypuff has a stupid long grab range, to compare her to Sonic's is just crazy.

I find that hard to believe, but if that IS right, then I can't really argue...

Is there no other resource?

Thank you for going through the trouble though.
Yeah..... I have trouble believing that Peach has longer grab range than Wario myself...... I wonder how exactly this data was collected.

tocador

Smash Lord
Yeah..... I have trouble believing that Peach has longer grab range than Wario myself...... I wonder how exactly this data was collected.
If i beleive it was tested by the numers of "block-stuffs" the grab range reached. I dont know the block stuff size, but i think it had something to do with mario :D.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Peach's grab range is pretty broken. I don't know why you have trouble believing it.

Her grab has 99 problems but a b-- I mean, range isn't one of them.

justaway12

Smash Master
Method:
1. I created a custom stage with a horizontal platform made of blocks and then a wall on the left-hand side made of blocks. If you look closely at the horizontal blocks, you can see that along the top, there are little marks. I realized they were perfect for making measurements (It looks almost like a ruler )

2. I used Mario as a control. I would roll left against the wall so that he was fas ar left as possible. This was also to make sure that Mario always started at the same spot.

3. I then proceeded to measure the furthest distance a character could be before he could no longer reach Mario with a STANDING grab. I started measuring from the characters ARM except for characters like ROB who would skew the data cause of how far their arms are from their body. In those cases, I used the point on their body closest to Mario as the starting point of the measurement.

I know there are a couple things that could change this data such as taller characters grab range being shorter than they should but because of how small these changes would be, I realized they wouldnt change the order that much if any at all and didnt worry too much about these small discrepancies.
Some people might not find it accurate but that's the only one I could unfortunatly :(.Personally I don't think it's that bad.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236133 Ice Climbers have the 6th worst, and Ganon has the worst.

@Crystal: Yes, Ganon does have jump lag. 7 frames of it, to be exact.
So his best OoS methods are Grab > SH Uair > Jab?

If barring powershielding, if you drop the shield that will add 7 frames to the activation the 9 frame jab. Ending at 16 frames. Grab is 6-7 frame (forgot what you said). Then SH Uair would be 13 frames 6 frames before it comes out, and 7 fro jumping.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
So his best OoS methods are Grab > SH Uair > Jab?

If barring powershielding, if you drop the shield that will add 7 frames to the activation the 9 frame jab. Ending at 16 frames. Grab is 6-7 frame (forgot what you said). Then SH Uair would be 13 frames 6 frames before it comes out, and 7 fro jumping.
Wait, that's only true if the UAir comes out right away, which it doesn't. UAir comes out at 7 frame while in the air, and 14 frames from the ground. Unless I'm misunderstanding this. Do jumps avoid shield-drop lag?

Though, it doesn't really matter much anyways. UAir doesn't have much horizontal range at all.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Yeah, the only spots that are really debated are the 1-2 position differences (Wolf/Fox, CaptainFalcon/Link), no one seems to be in the wrong tier at least.

It always amuses me that Sonic made it out of E-Tier and Yoshi didn't. It seemed to me like those were the two E-Tier characters whose mains were the most adamant about their character belonging in a higher tier, but only Sonic made the cut. In fact, Yoshi's not even the TOP of E-Tier. LOL

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, the only spots that are really debated are the 1-2 position differences (Wolf/Fox, CaptainFalcon/Link), no one seems to be in the wrong tier at least.

It always amuses me that Sonic made it out of E-Tier and Yoshi didn't. It seemed to me like those were the two E-Tier characters whose mains were the most adamant about their character belonging in a higher tier, but only Sonic made the cut. In fact, Yoshi's not even the TOP of E-Tier. LOL
HA, I know right? Yoshi's still in the wrong tier.

Same with wario, he should have his own tier. He's just that good.

Nestec

Smash Ace
The sad thing is, almost all of E-Tier needs to be a bit higher...with the exception of Lucas and Samus. The question is, who in D-Tier needs to drop?

I still say Bowser. And lately I've been starting to think that Zelda deserves to drop as well. And maybe Ike.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Peach's grab range is pretty broken. I don't know why you have trouble believing it.
Personal experience obviously :p. I've always thought of Peach having "good" grab range and of Wario having "very good" grab range.

...I wouldn't come close to describing her grab range as "broken" though. Maybe if you just look at the animation yeah, but the actual grab hitbox falls a bit short of it.

Back to Wario's grab. I did some brief testing and it beats out Peach's, Falco's, Ness', Snake's, and ties/barely loses to Kirby's..... all of which are above Wario on the list. Now this isn't the best way to test raw grab range, as character's differing hurtboxes come into play too much here, but clearly something is wrong with this data.

let's look at the method he used to get this data.....
Method:
1. I created a custom stage with a horizontal platform made of blocks and then a wall on the left-hand side made of blocks. If you look closely at the horizontal blocks, you can see that along the top, there are little marks. I realized they were perfect for making measurements (It looks almost like a ruler )
Hm, there is a slight complication with using the lines on the blocks to measure distance. The lines are on a different plane on the z-axis than the characters, so as the camera angle changes the perceived relation between the character and the line will change. It doesn't sound like he accounted for this.... but perhaps he did.

There's also the problem of judging distance just by looking at something, which will always inject human error into the process. A (hopefully) minor issue, but still an issue nonetheless.
2. I used Mario as a control.
This could be a bit problematic as well. For one Mario moves around a lot during his idle animation. Due to Brawl's "dynamic" hurtboxes this means that his hurtbox is moving around as well, which could skew results. If a good deal of trials were done with each grab this most probably wouldn't be a crippling issue however.

A more pressing issue is Mario's shape. Do his arms have hurtboxes? If so that means that there will be a bias toward grabs that hit mid, because grabs of that height will contact the hurtbox of his arms while grabs that hit high will go over it. If his arms don't have hurtboxes then the bias would be slightly toward grabs that hit high due to his nose sticking out further than the rest of his body.

Mario isn't really a good test subject for this. Ideally you would want someone who doesn't move around a lot and who has a very linear hurtbox. Zelda immediately comes to mind as a possible candidate.
3. I then proceeded to measure the furthest distance a character could be before he could no longer reach Mario with a STANDING grab. I started measuring from the characters ARM except for characters like ROB who would skew the data cause of how far their arms are from their body. In those cases, I used the point on their body closest to Mario as the starting point of the measurement.
Roh-ruh. This is a big problem. "Range" is measured from the furthest reaching hurtbox of the character in idle animation before the attack to the furthest reaching hitbox of the attack during the attack. It isn't measured from a completely arbitrary point like someone's "arm". Because of this this data doesn't even truly represent the range of the grabs. It represents the range they have when measured from an arbitrary point.

So yeah. There are quite a few problems with the testing methods this guy used :X. Testing like this would be good enough to get a general idea of grab range.... but nothing incredibly specific. As such I really wouldn't give too much heed to it.

There's only one other list of grab ranges found here
hm. There are some big differences between this list and the other one. This guy didn't post his method for getting that information either :/.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Personal experience obviously :p. I've always thought of Peach having "good" grab range and of Wario having "very good" grab range.

...I wouldn't come close to describing her grab range as "broken" though. Maybe if you just look at the animation yeah, but the actual grab hitbox falls a bit short of it.

Back to Wario's grab. I did some brief testing and it beats out Peach's, Falco's, Ness', Snake's, and ties/barely loses to Kirby's..... all of which are above Wario on the list. Now this isn't the best way to test raw grab range, as character's differing hurtboxes come into play too much here, but clearly something is wrong with this data.

let's look at the method he used to get this data.....

Hm, there is a slight complication with using the lines on the blocks to measure distance. The lines are on a different plane on the z-axis than the characters, so as the camera angle changes the perceived relation between the character and the line will change. It doesn't sound like he accounted for this.... but perhaps he did.

There's also the problem of judging distance just by looking at something, which will always inject human error into the process. A (hopefully) minor issue, but still an issue nonetheless.

This could be a bit problematic as well. For one Mario moves around a lot during his idle animation. Due to Brawl's "dynamic" hurtboxes this means that his hurtbox is moving around as well, which could skew results. If a good deal of trials were done with each grab this most probably wouldn't be a crippling issue however.

A more pressing issue is Mario's shape. Do his arms have hurtboxes? If so that means that there will be a bias toward grabs that hit mid, because grabs of that height will contact the hurtbox of his arms while grabs that hit high will go over it. If his arms don't have hurtboxes then the bias would be slightly toward grabs that hit high due to his nose sticking out further than the rest of his body.

Mario isn't really a good test subject for this. Ideally you would want someone who doesn't move around a lot and who has a very linear hurtbox. Zelda immediately comes to mind as a possible candidate.

Roh-ruh. This is a big problem. "Range" is measured from the furthest reaching hurtbox of the character in idle animation before the attack to the furthest reaching hitbox of the attack during the attack. It isn't measured from a completely arbitrary point like someone's "arm". Because of this this data doesn't even truly represent the range of the grabs. It represents the range they have when measured from an arbitrary point.

So yeah. There are quite a few problems with the testing methods this guy used :X. Testing like this would be good enough to get a general idea of grab range.... but nothing incredibly specific. As such I really wouldn't give too much heed to it.

hm. There are some big differences between this list and the other one. This guy didn't post his method for getting that information either :/.
Though, in this list, you could tell that it's more accurate than the other. It's easy to realize that Ganon, and Falcon have little-to-almost none range on their grabs. If I recall, the other list had Ganon way up in the middle.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well, there still is the question of where Sheik/Zelda goes into the list, as playing the two together clearly gives a serious boost in potential.
I think technically she's placed at the position of whichever is highest... which is inaccurate, because Zelda/Sheik has better match-ups then either alone.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
They haven't said anything about releasing a new one.

I'll assume sometime by the end of this year or early next.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I thought there was a schedule?

Yea, something like January, then one in June. Is there something after that - or do we wait for January?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wario's grab range is indeed very good... I think it's possibly even or just SLIGHTLY beats out Peach's grab, there's not much difference though. He is supplemented by his crazy aerial movement though and if you ff with forward momentum you get a bit of a slide that boosts his grab range. Peach's dash grab is massively good though, and Wario's isn't.

gm jack

Smash Lord
The sad thing is, almost all of E-Tier needs to be a bit higher...with the exception of Lucas and Samus. The question is, who in D-Tier needs to drop?

I still say Bowser. And lately I've been starting to think that Zelda deserves to drop as well. And maybe Ike.
Zelda is in the correct tier (top of bottom, bottom of mid) but could indeed drop a place or two. Ike isn't going anywhere. Bowser is going up if anywhere, and I think the only thing holding him back is a lack of skilled players. PT has some serious potential to go up. Nobody in C is likely to drop a tier.

The tiers seem pretty much right, which just a few minor adjustments in placing unless there is some groundbreaking new AT discovered.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I don't know for how much longer there going to have Ness where he's at with the way FOW has been placing.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
I' did some random fun a while back and noticed that if u reverse grab with peach, it's slightly more disjointed and has more range lol

by reverse grab, i mean dash then quickly grab in the opposite direction

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I' did some random fun a while back and noticed that if u reverse grab with peach, it's slightly more disjointed and has more range lol

by reverse grab, i mean dash then quickly grab in the opposite direction
That's called pivot grabbing. And Peach's pivot grab is pretty crap tbh; it takes THIRTEEN frames for the grab hitbox to appear. Pros can spotdodge that on reaction.

goodkid

Smash Lord
That's called pivot grabbing. And Peach's pivot grab is pretty crap tbh; it takes THIRTEEN frames for the grab hitbox to appear. Pros can spotdodge that on reaction.
It's not made for that. Pivot grab is for grabbing out of airdodges and grabbing out of aerials like Wario's Dair. Peach can easily pivot grab dair because of her range.

I don't know for how much longer there going to have Ness where he's at with the way FOW has been placing.
I'm not sure about that. We have been told time and time again that tournament placings don't determine who places where in the tier list. If anything, FOW will be proof that skill is greater than the tier list. Or at the very least that character match-up experience plays a huge part in how well one does. You see FOW win sets against certain characters people use, then simply get mauled by others by losing both matches.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Tournament placings are only a factor concerning the ranking of specific characters.

Not sure how big it is, but it's only a piece of the puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom