• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Critique Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sorry I was trying to catch up after I lost everything!

Alright, well you Fsmash when you think you have enough space to do it or your opponent won't be able to beat it out. You can't really bulldoze people like that with Falco though. Try and get moving around so you can go into people with like Nair, or just work your spacing on Bairs more, especially when you have stage control because then people can't do much about it, while Fsmash is pretty easy to dodge,

Jumping higher is okay sometimes to reset situations, but you did it way too much. It's kinda okay sometimes since Dair *****, but going above Marth is usually bad. Try to keep yourself level with Marth unless there's a combo/edgeguard going on. Think about his upward priority.

Does that help? My bad bro.

Jake13

Smash Lord
That helps bunches! Thanks for the advice, I def feel like I rely on fsmash too much as well as the jumping too high. Sorry if I seemed rude/needy, it sucks that you lost everything :( just trying to work on my game a bunch for gen2.

Which we should def play at! Tried to get at you at pound but never got the chance lol

:phone:

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I actually did a set with Chu and won 3-1, and I think I've won almost all my friendlies I've ever played with him. Fighting Chu is fun for me because it feels like he's actually fighting back, playing Fly just makes me want to quit sometimes LOOOOL.

btw I thought you played Sheik...? Or were you just referring to ICs in general?

Just saw xmen. whoever played ProfX and Magneto (kinda) CARRIED the movie. Everyone else sucked ****.
Okay I just watched your matches with Fly while reading through PP's critique. Between the two I think I have a better understanding on the matchup. I'll record some matches vs Cort's Ice Climber's one of these days and put them up and go from there eventually.

Also I do play Sheik. I just hate playing Sheik vs Fox/Falco so I've switched to Falco for the past year or two and have been trying to get him much better. I think right now my Falco and Sheik are about on the same skill level finally.

Regarding xmen: I liked everything in it. Magneto and X were pretty ****ing bad *** though.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Dr Peepee:
Watching game 2 because you guys will be more warm and I get to watch PC's Fox. =p

0:03- Do some regrabs or side B cancel on the platform or waveland onstage. PC standing still right there makes it easy for him to react to a getup attack like that.
Yeah, get up attacking isn't very good there.

0:21- Shine.
Yeah I messed up with my lcancel

0:32- Roll then Nair in place. You did that twice in a row. You need to find a way to re-establish momentum in a match better, especially vs faster characters like Fox. If you have to roll then try to get moving after that(notice PC isn't so hot on your tail that he ran into your Nair either time?) or WD OOS. **** option.
Yeah I started WD'ing OOS more last weekend and on. Definitely do need to start thinking of other things for gaining momentum again.

0:40- Made yourself predictable going so high and losing your DJ so much. Mix in fadeaway Dairs/lasers if you're going to go high and it's usually risky to DJ above Fox so make sure you're sure it'll work before going for it.
Yeah after looking through the set I was dj'ing wayyyy too much vs Fox which doesn't work for me. I need to work on my laser/pressure game.

0:43- Don't shield after Fsmashing Fox's shield. It was perfectly spaced so you had advantage.
...Right lol

0:50- Should've DI'd one of those moves out since if it was all weak you'd have died anyway. XD
LOL

1:00- I'm seeing a general lack of tech skill and certainty from you at this point. Make sure you can keep pace in a given match with Falco.
Yeah I don't know if I'm usually inconsistent technically with Falco. I'll have to record some more tournament matches where I can tell whether or not I'm inconsistent constantly.

1:18- Should've been lasering Fox to lower him/make him feel threatened. Standing there only covers side B or up-B into you really. You have to shoot Fox to lower him/make him think side B is safe.
Right, lasering Fox vs his recovery is pro, thanks.

I'm also seeing a lot of Nairs being thrown out without a real chance at catching Fox. You either have to be closer to Fox to make those work or have him unsure about jumping/running away due to lasers, and PC seemed confident in dodging/countering you most of the time, which he did.
Good catch, I didn't notice that, I do that a ton now that I'm thinking about it.

2:03- Bad dash attacks. Don't get desperate to punish lag. If that stuff doean't work then only do it when you're closer or use those opportunities to pressure/grab!
So again back to that bad pressuring game of mine haha. I get too excited or something when I know they're in lag. I'll start working on that.

2:46- Get off the platform faster vs Fox.
That's a pretty good catch too. I'm pretty horrible on platforms apparently.

Then PC just kinda scared you a lot and you let him control you, which isn't really Falco stuff so much as experience stuff.
Pretty much.

Thanks for the critique PP. It definitely helped out a ton. Next time I get some recorded matches that I'd like critiqued I'll let you know =D

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That helps bunches! Thanks for the advice, I def feel like I rely on fsmash too much as well as the jumping too high. Sorry if I seemed rude/needy, it sucks that you lost everything :( just trying to work on my game a bunch for gen2.

Which we should def play at! Tried to get at you at pound but never got the chance lol

:phone:
No dude it's fine, that critique was pretty bad looking back haha. I was just salty I lost my work from before but I hope that's good enough for now.

And yeah I'm super hard to catch at events haha. I'll be at the hotel though so if you can't catch me at the venue then you can try it there. =)

response to my critique
Glad I could help. Let me know when you get recorded again bro. =)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Kevin, gonna take your advice and put a video here for you to critique haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E8qYUIxGrw

hopefully David will upload one of me vs him and I might out that up here if he does
0:06- Shielding after getting hit by a PS'd laser tends to make things worse for you. Sometimes it's better to just keep moving after you get hit by one. Not a huge deal either way though.

0:07- That is. You can't shine OOS a spaced Fair and you shouldn't have DJ'd towards Sheik afterward. I know you got away with it lol but it's a bad idea that can get you *****.

0:08- DJ'ing when shield pressuring(and usually in general) is bad because you have no more mixups and you can die quickly from it. Try to avoid that.

0:18- You were fine until you empty hopped towards Sheik. That usually doesn't work unless you have Sheik shielding already and even then Sheiks like to hit that.

0:23- The DJ thing. Not a bad idea, but you just should've ran to get there in time.

0:28- Dash attacked to guess the missed tech. Don't do that. React to the tech if possible. Also you can read techs better that way.

0:45- Should have shined instead of uptilted in the case of that SHFFL, but maybe you could have FF'd a little earlier and made it work or something. Basically shining Sheik ***** even if you can't directly combo off of it like uptilt at that % just because being under her with your Bair/Nair/uptilt/etc is awesome.

0:57- While I think you should have been shooting Sheik to rack damage as she recovered, this was worse. Just do a normal standing getup if you think Sheik could take the edge and you can punish the onstage option as well. If that's not working for you then try reacting asap to where Sheik appears(may need to waveland onstage for the best punishes).

1:06- The Dair was fine, but falling into Sheik like that in so much lag was a bad decision. Just land after hitting quickly and then find a way to get another move out.

1:13- Gotta look for where sheik is gonna land instead of guessing. You could have DD Nair'd/Dair'd to punish. among other stuff

1:42- Gotta recognize when you can't get that Nair out in time to punish. Instead maybe you should attempt to shine waveland pressure or poke with Uairs/Bairs.

1:48- You could have avoided that Fair by falling through the platform early and setting up a punish or Nair'ing sheik right off of the platform I bet.

2:00- You did that Dair way too high but for some reason the Sheik just dropped her shield so you got the shine. Worth mentioning.

end: more tech skill/button things lol.

hope that helps bro. =)

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
there's a lot more i could say but: you spend WAY too much time just standing still. its like really disconcerting in a weird way. move as fast as you can after stuff; you're just standing still when you're not in lag all the time.

also: stop spamming fsmash, work on your tech skill, dont go above marth, especially dont double jump above marth, and dthrow is terrible; use uthrow aerial instead

work on your tech skill, you could be getting way better followups sometimes.

also... this isnt your fault, really, but you play that matchup really badly. it works against that guy, who i'm going to assume is your practice partner, but you play as if you've never been DD grabbed or dash attacked, which you may well never have been. you just have to be way more cautious against marth... no undershot approaching nairs, for example, and you should be using yuor lasers to lock down his ground game... but he doesnt appear to have a ground game :\

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
uhh, thanks foxlisk ::vomits in bucket while cutting self::

but seriously thanks for the advice.

No sveet, I live in north houston, which might as well be korea as everyone is south houston lives soooo far away ;.;

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
uhh, thanks foxlisk ::vomits in bucket while cutting self::

but seriously thanks for the advice.

No sveet, I live in north houston, which might as well be korea as everyone is south houston lives soooo far away ;.;
i wasnt trying to be mean... that's a bunch of low-hanging fruit, go fix those problems and come back and ill REALLY cut you up :p

Remen

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys.
I have some matches that I'd love to have critiqued. The thing is, there's a pretty big European tournament this Saturday and I'm going to be retiring after that. So I'm trying to give it my all this one last time and I could use all the help I can get :) I'll kind of need it quickly though if I still want to work it into my game :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXNhTzotZY (only first match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx1e41ljH3I (the first 2 matches, the rest isn't even me lol)

I feel like I'm in control of these matches, but I guess I keep making some fundamental mistakes which lead to me getting gimped way too much.
I really hope you guys can give me some useful advice, because I know I have some major flaws in my game still.
In the meantime, I'll just go back and study some more Peepee vids :reverse:

PS. Don't mention any names, wouldn't want my opponent finding this via namesearching :awesome:

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, there's a pretty big European tournament this Saturday and I'm going to be retiring after that. So I'm trying to give it my all this one last time and I could use all the help I can get :) I'll kind of need it quickly though if I still want to work it into my game :p
Omg don't ;_;

mers

Smash Ace
Hi guys.
I have some matches that I'd love to have critiqued. The thing is, there's a pretty big European tournament this Saturday and I'm going to be retiring after that. So I'm trying to give it my all this one last time and I could use all the help I can get :) I'll kind of need it quickly though if I still want to work it into my game :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXNhTzotZY (only first match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx1e41ljH3I (the first 2 matches, the rest isn't even me lol)

I feel like I'm in control of these matches, but I guess I keep making some fundamental mistakes which lead to me getting gimped way too much.
I really hope you guys can give me some useful advice, because I know I have some major flaws in my game still.
In the meantime, I'll just go back and study some more Peepee vids :reverse:

PS. Don't mention any names, wouldn't want my opponent finding this via namesearching :awesome:
So, obviously you're way better than me, but this is what I noticed:

First, trust your reactions more. You seemed to do a lot of things based on prediction that you should have waited and reacted for. For example, you would often shine/utilt during shield pressure/combos when it wasn't actually going to hit. This caused you to get hit or miss the combo when you could have done something different and kept your advantage. The other example is when you would leave the edge to try to hit Sheik, when you would get a guaranteed hit if you just refreshed invincibility and waited for her to land onstage. She recovered successfully way too many times.

Second, you were a little too willing to give up stage control in pursuit of your opponent. You'd often chase Sheik up to the top platform, and then she'd get around you and be below you, effectively turning the tables. You don't have to follow her always, you can just hold center stage and hit her when she comes down.

To sum it up, less autopilot and more thinking.

That's just what I saw though, feel free to take it or leave it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If anyone can give me some pointers, specifically in the Fox matchup, I'd appreciate it (is striking to DL a bad idea? I am kind of scared of YS cause I feel like I get shine spiked constantly, and FD just sucks cause of grab combos). I only get Marth practice outside of tournaments, so adjusting to the difference in spacing vs. Fox is rough. I also can't seem to consistently shine OOS during shield pressure yet, so I rely on shine drops instead. lol These matches are from the swiss rounds and the amateur bracket, not the actual GFs.

Swiss R1: Bones (Falco) vs. CK (Fox)

Swiss R2: Bones (Falco) vs. SypherPhoenix (Fox)

Swiss R3: Bones (Falco) vs. EPsilon933 (Peach)

LF: Bones (Falco) vs. DJ (Marth)
(this is the Marth player I play against all the time, so we know each other's strategies pretty well)

GF: Bones (Falco) vs. Poehlcat (Marth)

Don't bother telling me to stop charging fsmashes by the ledge. I have no idea why I was doing that randomly. LOL

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Imo DL is really good for falco because he can keep out of fox's reach really well. Falco can full hop to the top platform, fox has to double jump to chase. Also lots of room to escape fox's traps and a long time before being forced off the stage. I guess it can work in reverse, but I feel that fox is pressured to make a move more than falco (though ideally its a neutral force).

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yeah, one of the main reasons I prefer it is because of all the room to lock them down with lasers. Plus, when I get chased down by a Fox, it seems like the size of the stage isn't really going to help, so I'd rather be caught by a nair shine in the middle of DL where I have more room to reset without getting trapped at the ledge than getting nair shined in the middle of YS where I will end up either on the ledge or right next to it and have a lot less options to reset to neutral.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Just remember to go with your instincts and don't doubt yourself. Even if you think brinstar is falco's best stage against sheik, be confident. Everyone has their own style and their thoughts on the game influence the metagame. Don't let what the common belief is change your decisions.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Bones I thought you knew how to shorten illusion xD
You had some decent edgeguards
Don't edgeguard with Dsmash if they're coming from below though, it's way too easy to tech <_<
Either Fsmash if they're bad at sweetspotting or Dair so you can react to what they do after the tech (almost always it's Firefox)
If phantasm onstage is getting you punished either get better at ledgedashing or phantasm at weirder times (you seem to do it all the time immediately after grabbing the ledge)
Firebird straight at the ledge is pretty sweet and a lot of people are bad at covering that from onstage
You do the backward doublejump a lot when recovering, will get you super ***** vs Falcon / intrepid Foxes <.<
Shine waveland in combos more, every so often you hit a shine under like the middle platform of Dreamland and I'm pretty sure you can get a bigger punish but you just Bair or something ... shine waveland!!!

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
critique my falco? :DDDDDD
tourny matches:
vs falcon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-fyri0Oc4
http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordSaint892#p/u/0/ZACTdjdHa_U

falco dittos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duMyMKOTAT4

would appreciate critique from anyone!
I made a long, good one that didn't go through cause this computer likes logging me out every ten minutes. So I'll just try to concisely say what I did before.

Against the Falcon, you seemed to jump into him a lot and get punished for it. Make sure that you don't jump in carelessly, or that you have a plan when you do. You spot dodged a lot, out of fear of being hit it seemed. It's not good to do something out of panic, and spot dodging in general is rather bad vs Falcon. I would work on doing things with a clear plan, and not necessarily thinking every step of the way, but KNOWING what you want to do, and why.

In the Falco dittos, you should be aware of Falco's position relative to yours a little bit more. There was a moment where you dair'd, and he shielded, then rolled away. After the dair, you double shined nothing but air, and got about 26% for it. It was at 0:15. It's easy to just want to combo/kill with Falco, but stay aware of your opponent. Don't simply jump in and think that you can attack (that was more of a problem for you against Falcon, though).

Your tech skill is quite good, and you've got the mechanics of Falco down, for the most part. You just need to, again, stay aware and have plans. Nothing is viable if you do it out of fear as opposed to doing it with a reason. I hope this helps, and happy comboing.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones I thought you knew how to shorten illusion xD
You had some decent edgeguards
Don't edgeguard with Dsmash if they're coming from below though, it's way too easy to tech <_<
Either Fsmash if they're bad at sweetspotting or Dair so you can react to what they do after the tech (almost always it's Firefox)
If phantasm onstage is getting you punished either get better at ledgedashing or phantasm at weirder times (you seem to do it all the time immediately after grabbing the ledge)
Firebird straight at the ledge is pretty sweet and a lot of people are bad at covering that from onstage
You do the backward doublejump a lot when recovering, will get you super ***** vs Falcon / intrepid Foxes <.<
Shine waveland in combos more, every so often you hit a shine under like the middle platform of Dreamland and I'm pretty sure you can get a bigger punish but you just Bair or something ... shine waveland!!!
Wow, thanks man. Great advice. Pretty much everything you said is spot on. It's kind of depressing how obvious some of it is. -.- I actually just realized yesterday watching videos yesterday that I should edgeguard with dair instead of dsmash. That should help a lot. I can shorten Phantasms, but I guess I just am way too scared of fighting Fox on the edge so I tend to just spam Phantasms back onto the stage even if I get punished mad hard. lol I will definitely try to mix it up more. Same goes for the jumping back to recover. I also realized a while ago I need to shine waveland more to deal with fast fallers, so that's 90% of what I've been working on against CPUs. Thanks again. ^_^

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I made a long, good one that didn't go through cause this computer likes logging me out every ten minutes. So I'll just try to concisely say what I did before.

Against the Falcon, you seemed to jump into him a lot and get punished for it. Make sure that you don't jump in carelessly, or that you have a plan when you do. You spot dodged a lot, out of fear of being hit it seemed. It's not good to do something out of panic, and spot dodging in general is rather bad vs Falcon. I would work on doing things with a clear plan, and not necessarily thinking every step of the way, but KNOWING what you want to do, and why.

In the Falco dittos, you should be aware of Falco's position relative to yours a little bit more. There was a moment where you dair'd, and he shielded, then rolled away. After the dair, you double shined nothing but air, and got about 26% for it. It was at 0:15. It's easy to just want to combo/kill with Falco, but stay aware of your opponent. Don't simply jump in and think that you can attack (that was more of a problem for you against Falcon, though).

Your tech skill is quite good, and you've got the mechanics of Falco down, for the most part. You just need to, again, stay aware and have plans. Nothing is viable if you do it out of fear as opposed to doing it with a reason. I hope this helps, and happy comboing.
Never saw this..thanks a bunch for doing this, i'll read it over tonight :)

Brookman

Smash Hero
the second track in that match vid, starting at ~4:25 is ****ING AMAZING. I'm sad you lost so fast and it ended.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
no pressure was involved. I'm very accustomed to tournament environments, and playing against established players. I feel more pressure vs people who are closer to my skill level.

Bones0

Smash Legend
no pressure was involved. I'm very accustomed to tournament environments, and playing against established players. I feel more pressure vs people who are closer to my skill level.
Now you're just asking to get made fun of, bro. C'mon, step it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom