• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Critique Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
hello falco players
i should come here more often, lots of interesting stuff being said!

right now i'd like to find new ideas on how to fight cyr' samus and tekk's puff, cause i lost to them recently with the feeling i could'nt do more.. so im stuck:/ (well i see that i attack way too much/bad/soon vs cyr ..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1EJxafA3kI vs tekk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8h_cB2hKw0 vs cyr

so, please if someone sees anything, have ideas,... i'd be glad to hear it
thanks!
Well, you said you had an idea how to improve vs cyr, so I'll critique vs tekk game 1 for now =)

0:11- That uptilt isn't gonna cut it here. You can't really rely on puff running into you unless you stay grounded for a while and they try to Nair you. That's kind of a pain to look for and doesn't come often lol so just assume she won't run into you. Pressure Puff when she lands! Observe her falling and **** her on the ground because her mobility is awful and her shield is pretty bad too.

0:15- Alright look, you can't go fast vs Puff sometimes, or at least not in that way because you'll just miss inputs lol. I respect that you want to rack damage with lasers, but keep in mind the lasers are only good if they fluster the opponent and you are able to approach/get them to approach you correctly. You aren't watching closely enough to get that just yet. Also understand that the longer you stay on one side elevated shooting lasers that you lock yourself into a small area. Try to shoot some lasers and get moving again or at least laser differently so that Puff doesn't have an easy time containing you with easily spaced moves.

0:20- Running across the stage to FH Dair? I can respect that because it almost worked lol but Falco is a tiny bit too slow for that, even though I'm pretty sure you called an aerial before trying it. thing is, there's no reason to aerial when Falco is that far away really, so try to FH to beat aerials from a closer spacing I suppose. Also, you could have totally sniped Puff's landing with more lasers to stick her in place, but you just sat there and waited! Look for the direction change they like to do last second!

0:30- Alright, this probably comes from not fighting Puff much lol. When Puff hits you with an aerial, even if it autocancels, there's still a decent amount of lag on it. You had time to hit puff back if she kept going into you(which is probably why she floated back tbh). Observe how much time you really have when puff hits you so you don't roll in panic mode like that. If Puff doesn't get the upthrow rest at low percents then you're probably not going to die so just stay calm haha.

Yeah your other big problem is you don't know when to jump at puff. Just try to hold the middle and then when she tries to go high and cross you up just bair her(or shine at very low %s). Make sure you try to hit her before she can get a move out or just after she does one. Most importantly, watch for jump patterns! She has 5 jumps and most Puffs will jump do a move and then probably jump do another, and then fall with a final one. They're weaving while they do this though! So when they weave back you go in, and when they weave in then you Bair/laser/CC punish them or just get out of the way but try to laser them if they're landing.

I think that's enough to work on as it stands haha.

Here are a few matches a friend and I recorded yesterday. We're both quite new to the game so the tech skill is not great but please judge us and give advice it would be appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kli7BnpRls

Ps, ignore the first match

:phone:
-Make sure you get your tech skill down. Just grind away in your room or wherever you play getting all of your waveshines, lasers, combos, movement! down. Don't get repetitive with it though.

-Only stand still if you are trying to observe your opponent when you're safe. For example, you just shot them and want to see how they respond to it. Don't just be still and potentially get hit by surprise if you can help it haha.

-Don't always roll after you get hit and then go into your shield. Learn to wavedash out of shield, and even just SH'ing/SHL'ing out can be better/safer than rolling.

-If someone falls on the ground and doesn't tech, then get ready to punish them! You can laser to hold them in place if they roll away or you don't think you can get to them in time if you want, but eventually you want to get a reaction you can Fsmash/Dsmash/Dair out of your opponent.

-whole lotta smashes. try to only use smashes when you're comboing/tech chasing or edgeguarding unless you're sure it will beat out an approach(not advisable though). Try to move/laser more instead of always smashing at the other guy.

I was hoping someone could point out some stuff in my Falco game for me.

vs Swiftbass (fox/falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpceedZsZdg

vs Irish Mafia (peach/fox)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3RQfmqugo
vs Swift game 1:

0:21- If that first laser doesn't hit, then don't jump high except onto a platform after that. Every laser has to control Fox in some way and, especially early on, you want to establish solid control on him.

0:25- Why Bair(fairly understandable) and Uptilt there? Try to fall through with a laser more often if he doesn't rush you when you're on a platform. and if you whiff the Bair, then either take higher ground to shoot him or move around to threaten him/get him to approach.

0:26- The laser back in has good intentions behind it, but the one you did here doesn't work because Fox just advanced and shielded the first laser you threw out. Most foxes move OOS quickly after it gets lasered, so be wary of that when going in from even that far away. I'd say just establish momentum with another laser and see where it goes from there, at least in this particular situation. That laser back in can be effective but just not in this situation if that makes sense haha.

0:35- Why run away after lasering so close? Even if Fox shielded that laser is fairly pointless because it is supposed to be a lead-in that close and not a runaway tool. My only guess is you predicted he would run away and you'd catch him and then got thrown off because he didn't, but either way you need to plan to follow up/react differently to falling lasers if you commit to them from now on.

0:39- Don't guess on the Fsmash! You can react so don't predict it! Just WD/walk over to where he is and you can Fsmash the tech in place if you really want to Fsmash it if he misses the tech/techs in place.

0:41- Strange decision DJ Dair'ing here. It prevents the jump out, yes, but you have to be certain that he will jump and that usually means you have to jump right before him. Well you did jump when he ran at you but he didn't jump like most Foxes would. However, Swift also seemed to hit you in the beginning on the match with a grounded approach most Foxes wouldn't do so I'd say you should be more mindful of your opponent and not just Fox in general when executing these backup strategies when your original combo or whatever doesn't work out. Keeping the pace of things is fine as long as you are sure what you will do will work or you are somewhat safe on executing.

0:43- Got hit because you whiffed a move then did another one to cover your tail(just like previously). Most people know better than to run in on a missed move these days, so if you whiff one then just shoot or take a moment to observe what's going on. If Fox is giving you that much room then you can react to what he's doing.

1:00- Be mindful that you are trying to react to the tech even while executing your movement tricks.

1:02- Going in so quickly after being hit with no momentum or control established on Fox is usually a bad idea. Lasers lock Fox down, so if you just got hit then odds are you're not controlling Fox well enough to surprise him with a move since he can just maneuver around it like he did.

1:11- I assume this was a tech mistake? If not, then you should stick to more reliable options, in particular I'd suggest landing on the platform from the shine and Dair'ing Fox into the platform so you could tech chase.

1:14- Just move off of the platform. Foxes are usually conditioned to jump up at you on DL anyway because of your Dair and how likely you are to fall through with a move anyway.

1:31- Don't laser over there! Walk over and see if you can react with turnaround Bair or Ftilt if he goes into you like he did, or Ftilt/Dsmash if he goes higher or lower if you make it in time. Basically, if he starts up-B'ing that low though you need to be close to him so you can spike/Dsmash him and not lasering away from him. That doesn't edgeguard.

1:44- Trust me, even if he powershields twice, just keep shooting until he acts like he's trying to come in or he quits powershielding lasers. Otherwise he gets too much control and confidence with the spacing you'll be using to come in and you'll get *****. He also has more time to think about when you're coming in because you got stunned by your laser. Just wait until you get a better opening. Vary your laser timing and height more and that should solve any repetitive powershield problem for the most part(assuming you're also mixing in aerials to make them have too much to deal with overall).

1:55- Should have Bair'd instead of Nair'd him, should have grabbed the edge when you saw how far away he was, and Dsmash would have easily covered anywhere around the edge with decent timing.

2:04- Don't getup attack if he's on a platform.....you could have WD'd onstage or even done a regular edge roll/getup and probably have been fine, but the side B into him could catch him more offguard if he's always looking for grounded stuff sometimes.

2:06- If there's even a slight chance of getting shined by Fox by the edge, then mashing simply isn't worth it. Give your move a shot with timing and if it doesn't work don't hit the button again because that will happen a lot if you do.

2:17- That was more of a run off DJ back onstage Dair type edgeguard because of how high he could go and how close you could be to him with the Dair.

2:20- Shine since it's lower %.

2:34- Dair was far too high on shield and facing the wrong direction at that. Big frame disadvantage+visually it looks easy to punish so people will go for it. Instead of trying to stuff OOS stuff with that fast Dair(which you can't turned around lol) just waveshine away then go back in quickly with another aerial or observe their reaction.

2:37- Try to have more purpose behind your moves than stray damage if you can. These hits need to be leading into combos so always execute with that goal in mind vs Fox or he won't be as afraid of your hits and for good reason since you won't be as effective in capitalizing on them.

2:40- Getting up with Fair if he's kinda close and on the ground isn't too good because it seems like he can react and run away in time sometimes. WD onstage and maybe even double lasers and possibly a side B cancel could have been handy there. The regular side B at them mixup is still pretty good too.

2:44- This is something you just gotta know you can't punish in time. Pretty situational I guess, but if you hadn't random Fsmashed hoping he'd come up just then you would have been okay. Just observe his reaction/maybe throw out a laser or two next time, you had the momentum and stage to your advantage.

3:04- Could have gotten the Fsmash, but had to react just a bit faster. I'd have recommended the Fthrow or Dthrow there, as Fthrow sets up a solid edgeguard and Dthrow could lead to Dsmash at that percent.

3:14- wayyy too early with that. settle down and walk to get yourself situated then do a move. it can be dsmash you know lol, that way you have more time to position yourself for a faster KO move.

So your big problem seems to be you pre-plan things out too much and don't react enough, and the few times you do react it's not quite fast enough since you probably aren't used to doing it. This goes for tech chasing and edgeguarding as well.

Will do the rest of these later on.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
SuperMatt - Jealous of that performance..... I think not.

Let's list some of your faults
1 - Weak, and i mean weak approaches, who approaches with fair.
2 - Horrible Short hop control
3 - Repeated Tech'ing in place, or no tech'ing at all
4 - Wasted actions during enemy re-spawn that could have been used to give the illusion of speed, or at least the illusion of being ready.
5 - Horrible knowledge of falco's attack reach, and knowing when, where, and how to attack.
6 - Zero Laser skill
I'm sure a keener eye could spot more.

Anyone can argue it if they want, or add more.

Rubyiris - your still standing still to much. Your better then me with advance tech's, and your getting better covering openings in you guard, i think you need to practice fight a lot more sheik's i know i do to i hate fighting her myself.

MattDoz - i love your swiftness, and spacing i wish i played a bit more like you, but you have a problem of thinking to far a head and end up trapping yourself, you need to be more patient, and respond to actions instead doing actions before hand.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Some friendlies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X10vJ24QSms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsSZXxK_qGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alkh3JqyK4c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnYdfl5iMtA

PP don't waste your time with a serious critique for these unless you want to for some reason, Idk how long it takes you to do your critiques, but it seems like a fair amount of work to me.

But if you or anyone have any random comments to make fire away

edit: one specific question though, how do I stop this particular recovery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X10vJ24QSms#t=6m47s

do I just have to edgehog?

Bones0

Smash Legend

Yeah, you have to edgehog if they shorten properly. Even Marth has to stand almost at the ledge for his dtilt to even hit. Unless they don't space it perfectly, trying to hit them isn't going to be worth it because if it misses and they get the ledge grab, you'll get punished hard.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion

4 - Wasted actions during enemy re-spawn that could have been used to give the illusion of speed, or at least the illusion of being ready.
5 - Horrible knowledge of falco's attack reach, and knowing when, where, and how to attack.
6 - Zero Laser skill

Rubyiris - your still standing still to much. Your better then me with advance tech's, and your getting better covering openings in you guard, i think you need to practice fight a lot more sheik's i know i do to i hate fighting her myself.

MattDoz - i love your swiftness, and spacing i wish i played a bit more like you, but you have a problem of thinking to far a head and end up trapping yourself, you need to be more patient, and respond to actions instead doing actions before hand.

there's no doubt that i have a lot to improve on, but kels would rip your face off

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

6 - Zero Laser skill

I don't get to play with shieks in friendlies

:phone:

Mahone

Smash Champion
Some friendlies

PP don't waste your time with a serious critique for these unless you want to for some reason, Idk how long it takes you to do your critiques, but it seems like a fair amount of work to me.

I'm gonna ****ing critique the **** out of this later...

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
$1 money matches?

I'm sure he would, i'm an fan.
Specifically, the shiek players in AZ don't really come out to play anymore. Falcoty is Phoenix, Jetfour basically quit shiek, and Okami hates playing Shiek outside of tournament, and I'd rather not spend 1$ just to not laser him.

Vaccine

Smash Journeyman

Bones0

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9rbKM6Ct8&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEM7baMxCE&feature=channel_video_title

Dr. peepee/any good falco player please critique my videos. i just started playing not to long ago, and my falco has never been critiqued before, and i think that if it was it would really help my gameplay. so if someone good were to critique my videos i would really appreciate it :)
I only watched the first game, but you virtually never used platforms as a means of approaching. Dropping through with dairs and WDing/WLing off with dairs/bairs can be really helpful.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I'm not a well-known Falco quite yet, but I'm decent at analyzing why one gets hit or punished.

~First Match of Vid 1~

0:10-0:14 - Good job getting back onstage, and getting some control. You lost control when you delayed the laser while he was planning his approach and he got the grab in that instant.

0:23 - Again, nice getting back on. But you did the same thing as last time, and he read it, then punished. Mix it up, grabs after the double laser work well, Bair through shield too.

1:46 - Gotta mix up how you get back on stage. No need to rush back on stage everytime, even against Falcon. Predicted and punished.

1:50 - I'm starting to see when you get him under pressure, you usually waveshine into him until you get an aerial or get hit. Mix in some retreating Nairs out of shine, try and get in a shinegrab on his shield before he can get ready to retaliate.

1:59 - Same method of getting back up. Very punishable from above.

2:08 - I can't think of a situation where Fair is a good ledgehop move for Falco. I highly doubt it, but maybe someone else can tell me I'm wrong. But I do know it's unsafe.

2:25-2:35 - It may be out of intimidation or fear of Falcon Nairs, or something. But you began doing a lot of full hops to stay just out of Falcon's double jump range. However, against almost any of Falco's even-decent matchups, full hopping at high percentages isn't a good thing to do unless you're chasing someone in the air. Falco drops in almost a straight line, sets up for predictions on landing.

2:57 - Nice job getting on stage before he gets up.

3:01 - Kinda stood under him for that one. But I see what you tried to do.

3:07 - Almost died from that double laser again.

3:20-3:27 - Sexy spacing with those bairs. Kept him on the platforms in shield.

4:18 - Lovely finish.

As for general advice, it's a bit of what Bones said. You stayed off of the platforms for most of the match unless you were escaping or were thrown there. I sympathize though, I'm working that into my game as well. Get some platform work in; lasers to zone them on which platforms they run to, utilize them to continue combos, to mix up approaches, etc.

Mix up your pressure as well. Repetitive pressure habits will be adapted to and punished quickly against seasoned players. Don't forgot about the basic ways of getting back on stage too. Double laser is sexy, but still; ~100%, just pressing right on the joystick can set you in position to do some damage or start some ****.

Anddd...that's all from me. I hope my word is at least insightful. o:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Your Falco is weird. lol

Not to necessarily label the following as bad things (just stuff you may want to try differently), but the two things that stuck out to me about your Falco was the lack of lasers, and most of the time you SHFFL'd onto his shield you jabbed or just waited instead of shining. You often lasered close to him and then jumped straight out of the laser into an aerial, but it is more common to see Falco players spacing their lasers further and dashing into aerials after lasers.

You also didn't use many retreating lasers, which is something in particular I would consider my specialty. I abuse retreating lasers like no other. lol Small dash away turn-around lasers condition them to expect lasers constantly, so when you decide to dash dance into an aerial they won't be as prepared. Most people WD or dash backwards when they anticipate an aerial, but they will shield if they expect a laser because WDing/dashing back will still get hit by the laser and just give you an opportunity to advance on them. So you can do stuff like retreating laser, retreating laser, retreating laser, then retreat and dash back in with an aerial and it's a very risk-free way of getting on the offensive or even building up some decent damage with lasers.

As far as the lack of shines, that may just be my imagination because I love doing anything shine-related, but aerial-shines typically leads into more stuff than jab. If you land the jab, you can sort of start a combo with a quick nair or dair into tech chase, but shine (at least on Marth), sends him at the perfect height to just pillar the **** out of him. He can't DI off stage because it often results in him getting spiked to his death, and DIing on stage inevitably leads to him landing on a platform. If he misses the tech or techs in place you can dsmash or shine/utilt to double jump bair/uair for the KO, and if he techrolls it's a free fsmash which is also likely to KO or at least lead to an edge guard. If the shine doesn't hit, you can either shine-grab or just use classic shield pressure to chase him down when he tries to escape.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I started a critique on video 2 and typed a good bit. Then my laptop crashed. fml. I'll get something for ya, Kage.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Hey Bones why don't you stop sucking Kage's **** and try critiquing the people who asked before him and have been waiting for weeks?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hey Bones why don't you stop sucking Kage's **** and try critiquing the people who asked before him and have been waiting for weeks?
lol Well I don't really feel comfortable giving criticism on players who are probably better than me by a good amount. Only reason I made an exception for Kage was becausehe doesn't main Falco and his play style struck me as very weird so I figured I could at least throw some things his way. I've watched almost all the vids in this thread, including yours, just because it helps me to analyze different play styles and techniques I can integrate into my own game play as well as figure out why certain things I do work well/badly. I just don't give criticism on all of them, but I'll go back and rewatch yours if you like. :p

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I totally fell asleep after that shower. Alrighty. I'll start with the match details, maybe one or two each. Then a general analysis after each match.

how do i beat this sheik with falco more consistantly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTr6m3u14aI
Lehhgo. vs. Kels(Sheik) Match 1:
0:05 - Lol. Pro. You kept good pressure up to and past the stock you got.

0:40 - A simple Nair or a couple lasers would have sufficed. Shines/Utilts are one of the only things that can almost makes Uair viable for follow-ups.

1:00 - Not many instances where you want to approach with a empty SH Shine. Unless you've conditioned them to aerials/lasers. The fact that you touched the ground got you grabbed. Sending a laser before you to get that shield up or a mid-air shine and jumping out is a lot safer.

1:20 - Those darn missed waveshines.

2:00-2:30 - After you got the stock, you let off the gas and allowed him to get stage control. Can't let that happen. Keep moving and be tight on her when her invincibility wears off so you can continue the pressure from last stock.

2:25 - Gotta get out of those shines quicker. I saw what you tried to do, but it was DI'd pretty well and you full hopped out of a shine. Dem waveshines.

2:40 - Damn. Teach me how to Fair people like that.

2:47 - Dangerous. If you can't reach her as soon as you send her out, or if she DIs away from the stage, don't go for it. Because most of the time if you stretch your hitlag time, she'll be out just in time for a Fair to the beak.

2:58 - Lol. Falco's fair is pretty much a "please kill me" offstage on Yoshi's. I advise against it highly. Nice kill either way.

3:58 - Best way to end a match. That sound is way too familiar.

vs Kels(Sheik) Match 2:
4:30-4:43 - This is how it's done. Started good again.

5:26-6:00 - Kept that pressure on real nice.

7:03 - Punished for spacing that Nair a bit too far. Techrolling might have saved you on the platform there.

I didn't have much for game two, but I got a lil' sum-sum. One thing I noticed was that you didn't laser that often, nor did you use them to control where Sheik is on the stage. In addition to that, most of the times you got punished were because you went for a move you could barely/not reach or not locking sheik down with lasers and not enough pressure when she's above you. You seemed to have your ups and downs in the Falco/Sheik matches in terms of offensive and "not quite" defensive. I'd work on utilizing those lasers to control your space most importantly, and keeping stage control. Because when you didn't have it, you slowed down way too much.

But to answer that question, don't let Sheik get stage control and avoid those grabs as much as possible.

A downward-angled Ftilt or Dsmash would've worked a lot better in the position you were in. If you had more time, an edgehog would've done fine too. Ledgedrop rising lasers, for fanciness. Rising Nair. All timed of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qumI1H8ICVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YugRVjWwh48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKTdy9O271o

Alright, if anyone has time to critique or improve my Falco a little more that'd be nice. I looked at it myself but I'm not very good at discerning what my main weaknesses are. I'd like a more general analysis if possible.
I like your Falco's style, it's so...Ganon. xD

vs. Fatuik - Match 2
0:02 - You stayed right in Marth's dropzone at the start of the match. Fair > to grab will catch you almost everytime. Get some space or get right up under Marth when the match starts. It'll force him to move to another platform or come down on another side.

0:12 - Marth came at you with intention and a shorthop, use those lasers to keep him out of the air before you or even back up when he jumps at you. Sword priority.

0:44 - Coming down on Marth that has you in the air with a dair usually won't find much success, especially if he has control of you and your position on stage. Save those double jumps for escaping and recoveries because once it's gone, it only takes a tipper or a couple pushing fairs.

0:54 - Ouch. Only hope recovering from that would be sweetspotting the edge. Would've been a nice trade-prediction, though.

1:01 - His roll put him out of your shield pressure range. If he rolls out, it usually puts him in good anything range. I'd say a laser out of shine or getting away from him would've prevented the grab.

1:30-1:50 - Failed to punish with those two Dairs you went for. The second dair could've been a Bair, or you could have went to another platform to regain some momentum. The kill, though. That's how Marth's roll.

2:53 - Ah, so close. That shine might have saved your life. I would suggest a dash attack for that kind of followup, all 3 lasers hit and dash attack would have set him up nicely for combos.

vs. Fatuik - Match 2
0:08 - Gotta get those lasers out. Or if it was intentional, that first laser feint laser had him for the shield ****.

1:08 - Usually when a Marth Dtilts, he wants to bait you into jumping. Usually short hopping into him so he can Fair or Fsmash. Watch out for those, laser him to see what he does. Honestly other than that, I think he had really good positioning on you. (Just learned something.) Maybe PP can explain what you could've done.

1:42 - Never again. xD That's an auto tipper for Marths. Hits Pichu too. Not sure about chrouched Jiggs.

In general, what I saw was a lot of unused and unnessecary time in the air. Led to a lot of punishes. I've recently noticed myself that wavelanding onto platforms does so much for Falco since his full hop is so huge. It puts you in control way quicker than finishing a full hop and prevents your opponent from setting up under you. Look over how much you jump and how much of it is actually used then look at one of PP's Falco vs Marth/Peach videos, then I think you'll see what I mean. Also, laser game. Didn't see that much lasering, resulting in a lot of compensation with Nair and Dair approaches. I like most of your mix-ups, but you should definitely laser a bit more for the sake of approaching and controlling where your opponent sets up and keeping him out.

Hey I got some vids up for critiquing, pick and choose at your leisure:
me vs kels(sheik/fox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h523D_TjQJQ
me vs kels again later in tournament: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmlVxjYk0kQ
me vs tink(marth): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEY_tkJnxn0
Any tips/observations would be appreciated.
vs. Kels(Sheik) Vid 1-Match 1
I'll get on this one in a little bit.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
@ Tac - onstage edgeguards like DAFT and Dsmash just don't work vs proper shortens :lick: you have to hit him where he starts

Jake13

Smash Lord
Jake13 (Fox) vs Broly (Marth/Jiggs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOXNLcCngc

Loser's Finals
Jake13 (Falco) vs Sybawave (Marth/Sheik/Fox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG7_o03Vxa8

Grand Finals
Jake13 (Falco/Fox) vs TSC (Falcon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIcCEAhDJV8

what up falcos! i have here three sets from a tourney this past weekend that i would love some critique on.

obviously i don't want you to watch each one, pick one at your leisure and throw me an opinion on it plz :) i just put up three so that you could pick your matchup (all of which will have falco of course!)

<3falcoboards!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Matt, I see you found the videos I finally put up. Sorry it took so long >_<

Anyway, this might be one of the only videos of my Falco in which I don't side-B SD on half of my stocks, so I can't john about my loss. Any help would be appreciated!

vs Shiek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIIZ_pk9vqI
Game 1:

1:13- Good upsmash, but not at the right % haha. Stick to reverse uptilting or whatever to get your damage early on because they could hit you in your smash lag.

Be sure to work on tech skill!

1:16- Whoa Dthrow lol. Hey he didn't tech it, so you could have uptilted there. Even so, it's not a good idea to Dthrow much uuusually because they can tech it and get away. Upthrow is a pretty good throw you can follow up on, but you could also fthrow or even bthrow to get %-based mixups. If you have to pick one for now just upthrow though haha.

1:21- Take the edge from Sheik! If you grab it then you can set up a situation where you can punish her landing lag onstage, so try to take the edge vs Sheik whenever you can.

1:29- Don't Dair there! Normally people would tech that and get away before you could punish, so always keep in mind their % and where your next hit will send them. Maybe shine or weak Bair or...well just DJ slightly delayed Dair and you might get them to DI onto the platform, so that wasn't a bad decision but you just Dair'd too early haha.

1:31- If Sheik isn't moving then go ahead and stand up in place haha. Only worry about going towards her if you're trying to cross her up after she started coming towards you.

1:34- A good attempt with the Fsmash but it's too slow to beat out Fair unless you do it much sooner. Just CC punish or move back and SH delayed Bair to punish sheik's landing lag/pressure her shield(basically wait until after her Fair comes out unless you're under her which I'm not totally sure you were.....maybe a little faster and it would've worked lol). Basically Sheik likes to SH over your lasers so if you see that then either challenge her landing lag or gtfo because she just wants to Fair over them at you and it's better to just move away and try to come in on your own terms a lot.

1:37- Got hit for trying to Fsmash without controlling the approach at all. Those Fsmashes will have to be done much sooner for them to be effective if you are doing them without lasering to control approaches since it takes a bit for them to come out. But yeah in general it's better to get a laser out if you can so your opponent isn't all over you where you can't easily counter like that. It would have been better if you just moved away and tried to counterattack or counter position or control with lasers.

1:42- Not a bad idea, but you want to Bair sheik offstage first of all. This means you must control your wavelands and jumps better. Don't waveland so far over if you're trying to push sheik offstage, and don't use the jump when you can't get the hit/threaten with the hit.

1:58- You have to keep moving when someone is invincible. Moving in general seems tough for you right now, so I suggest practicing that and making it a big priority vs Sheik who can usually pin you down if you let her while you're vulnerable like that.

I think your big issues are tech skill, moving, and not throwing out so many Fsmashes(or doing them earlier) from what I'm observing.

vs SK set 2 Game 1:

0:15- If you shined you could have potentially gotten a combo or at least another hit from the opening most likely.

then during the edgeguard you could have shot Peach again to make her lose her float and she'd have to up-B.

0:25- Nair wasn't FF'd so you dropped the combo.

0:30- No reason to empty hop into Peach when she is floating towards you like that. Fall with a laser or Bair next time to keep her honest.

0:51- try to get out of your shield faster because Peach loves eating into those. You could have gone high to avoid the first Bair, and you could have moved OOS after the first one hit your shield to avoid the second one.

you should side B back more, but maybe you just didn't adapt quickly enough yet from what I'm watching.

0:58- I think you should have stayed closer to pressure Peach since you were invincible and there was nothing to lose, but that may just be a matter of preference I suppose.

1:03- Try to keep moving around so Peach doesn't think she gets a free shot at you like that and your reactions stay tight.

1:05- Not sure what you tried to do there but attacking Peach after she just hit you at low percent wouldn't have been a great idea anyway potentially. For the SD, just be aware of how far you get pushed and don't act unless you see that your character is safe. That's how I try to always go about it anyway.

1:10- Don't Dair so far away or it'll never hit because Peach is floating away from you and not under you. You'd have a better shot with free damage anyway with Fair or Nair.

1:21- Got too jumpy with the second Dair so you didn't have time to protect yourself from getup attack. You could have just SH Dair'd there and been fine.

1:30- Jumped up way too high.....You want to make Peach unable to land so you can keep hitting her. She can't go that high unless she up-Bs which she wouldn't have done there. Just stay under her and threaten with Bair/uptilt/ground moves if you can. You can do this from platforms and use empty hops and stuff though to stay tricky obviously.

1:37- A few silly decisions gets you into a tech chase position. You should have come down from the platform with a laser to keep Peach from attacking you freely. And jabbing after taking some hits is usually not as safe as it seems. Maybe Ftilt in that position for free damage or try to Dair to beat out her other moves coming out or something.

1:43- Got down too late because you FH'd. If you had simply dropped through the platform and walked over when you got onto the platform then you could have Dsmashed the recovery.

1:50- Try to work more Bairs when edgeguarding because everything else Peach seems to slip past....

1:52- You can just react with a Bair to the getup in place and when they roll since both are slow so just wait them out and observe the animations for clues.

2:04- Lost your double jump and didn't land on the platform when Peach was close? Bad idea. If you lose control of Peach from the platform(which you didn't seem to control too well, try mixing in more empty hops or Uairs to shield stab maybe) then don't push to try and get control back unless you're positive you'll get the hit(like she couldn't run away and make it).

2:06- At least shine OOS for favorable position! A shielded dash attack is free damage/a kill so don't roll out of it.

Then you get kinda predictable because you always just jump at Peach and usually with no lasers to control her first. Mix in a laser or two to gain momentum once in a while and so your aerials will be harder to react to.

2:39- Upsmash was too far away from Peach....you might as well have waited to see if Peach fell into you before trying that.

2:42- Vary up when and where you laser so you can't be attacked in between them so easily.

2:55- Should have followed up the jab!

3:03- Don't Fsmash Peach after she's already landed....she could have gotten the Dsmash before your Fsmash hit her maybe or just done that lol.

You try to DD by the edge a lot and get dash attacked.

3:09- You always double jump about side platform height and do a side B or up B. Mix up the recovery!

how do i beat this sheik with falco more consistantly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTr6m3u14aI
Game 1:

0:13- Trying to shine OOS when sheik's always space that edgehop Fair then go back to the edge is a bad idea. Just WD back OOS and set up a way to keep Sheik offstage.

0:16- I think Sheik could have jumped out before the shine connected anyway, so I'd advise uptilt here. Especially because Sheik can't go as far after getting uptilted as when Sheik is shined. I suppose if he just fell like that though you could have Dair'd or Dsmashed LOL.

0:20- The FH backwards aerial is easy to spot even if it's not used often but you could have mixed in a DJ onto the top platform into shenanigans if you wanted to. You also could have landed with a laser to screw with sheik. Also also if you don't always spotdodge after whiffing like that then you'll be okay. Shine to WD away could be pretty good because you're invincible during shine so that stuffs a lot of things trying to punish your lag and you can move out of it much faster.

0:31- The FH was good, but thinking that Sheik would approach your landing then when she didn't a second ago is bad. Again, landing with a laser would have been good or simply going to the top platform. Most people don't challenge Falco's initial landing anymore anyway so don't be so scared of your lag getting punished I guess.....just don't do that FH Bair thing so it's less likely to happen lol.

0:35- Shine so you can get a combo/more damage than just a Bair will.

You go on to do a series of moves expecting Kels to come in and he just doesn't lol. You have clearly conditioned Kels to not approach after you do a move right away so you should take advantage and push into him some instead of executing lots of moves until you do a laggy one he gets to wait for and punish.

0:53- Be sure to observe where Sheik went after he leaves the platform. These Bairs are getting you killed lol. I suggest mixing in more falling lasers or just dropping down and then attacking or running off of the platform and jumping with Dair or something different like that.

0:54- an easy to bait spotdodge. try to move anyway even if you feel pressured because that spotdodge is what everyone looks for to punish. you could even hold shield if you're afraid of an attack if you want to.

0:58- Didn't react to his Nair and went in when you wanted to anyway. The DD wasn't bad but be ready to retreat and punish out of it as well.

1:00- Empty hop shine isn't as good vs Sheik because her grab range is kinda good I guess lol that was kinda silly though. Maybe that was just an unlucky one though....

1:05- Try to rise up with Dair if you can because that stays out quite a while and covers Sheik reacting late which happens a lot in those types of situations(including this one) and you could have still gotten the hit.

1:09- Trying to challenge Nair from below if you're not uptilting is usually a bad idea. Just move out of the way and punish or gain control to pressure.

1:10- You've teched towards the edge the last few times I believe.

1:15- try to Ftilt since that's a little more damage and pretty fast still. could have set up an edgeguard too.

1:25- SDI up!

1:33- Tried to push out to regain momentum. It's okay if you don't push(especially with dash attack) because staying back for a sec breaks the momentum. If you wanna push though you should laser first so Sheik can't react as easily to what you're doing.

1:35- Sheiks like trying to catch the immediate DJ so work in more shine stalling.

1:53- Delaying that Dair a little more may have kept you from getting grabbed.

2:09- Lasers that all missed and an oddly spaced Nair. Sheik can punish those high Nairs and such at low percent because you're still vulnerable and still using the move long after the strong part connects in the air like that. Also try to either catch Sheik as she lands more or try to hit with a jumping shine at lower percents because those aerials won't lead into anything and potentially get you punished so it's not worth it.

2:15- Got stuck? Either way if you weren't lasering so high that situation wouldn't have happened even if you did get out of it. It's better to laser high only after you laser low some first so the opponent wants to jump.

2:28- Too late with the Fsmash. an Uptilt may have worked well though.

2:36- sheiks like to Nair OOS after shines hit it(most people do these days it seems) so doing a quicker aerial(in this case Bair) or double shining negates that. I noticed Kels waited earlier in the match but everyone moves OOS after that waveshine pressure lol so that'd be a great time to do faster moves.

2:45- Got stuck in shield after burning your DJ and not dying(usually you die for that) and then Nair'ing afterward(usually not good esp for that short distance because the opponent can maneuver away from that if you don't lock them down somewhat with lasers).

2:55- Dtilt!

3:18- all I can say about that is turnaround uptilt lol. That was mad silly though but I guess if he knows to do that then try to plan around it. You could just wait until he lands and grab as well potentially.

3:37- That Dair was a good attempt but again Kels is just waiting for you to do moves he can grab so just break momentum and laser in place or something so he feels the need to rush in so those moves have a chance at connecting.

Tech skill, that jump off platform Bair, and your dash attacks as well as your tech patterns and maybe a little bit more shield pressure variety are what you need to work on. Oh yeah and low percent moves to connect with so you can combo instead of just get hits.

Some friendlies

You act kinda slowly with your move choices(might just be a vs fox thing idk) and don't move around/fluidly enough. Most of your issues can be summed up like that, watching the first match and a half on the first video.

I'll try to get to the rest of these soon. Sorry this is taking so long <.<

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9rbKM6Ct8&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEM7baMxCE&feature=channel_video_title

Dr. peepee/any good falco player please critique my videos. i just started playing not to long ago, and my falco has never been critiqued before, and i think that if it was it would really help my gameplay. so if someone good were to critique my videos i would really appreciate it :)
Vid 1 Game 1:

0:03- Could have moved out of the way of that Bair and punished. Try not to hold shield if someone gets above you.

0:05- If you miss a laser it's not usually good to try and attack afterward because the move will be easy to dodge unless you're pretty close to your opponent.

0:12- No need to shield out of a laser on shield unless you're super worried about Falcon doing a move OOS and hitting you, but you uptilts/Bairs should be able to handle that for the most part. Just moving away or shining off of that laser or lasering again maybe could have done you good.

0:15- try not to uptilt on shield if you can help it(unless you think they're gonna jump out), but especially not after an aerial almost always. Just not worth it. Oh I see you didn't get the L-cancel and weak hit Bair'd, well yeah Bair wasn't a good option anyway so don't worry about the outcome so much as doing more Dair from above and not uptilting afterward unless you hit I guess.

0:19- Got hit because you teched in place twice. Watch that habit Falcons like to punish techs in place usually.

0:24- People can grab waveshines on reaction so you're better off shine aerial'ing or just shine grabbing there.

0:34- Don't jump and do that Bair unless you know he's going to go past you for some reason. You're threatening with the move, you're not necessarily waiting to do it anyway.

1:02- No need to Nair if you're on top of Falcon. You're fine just Dair'ing there probably, and it's better at low percent anyway usually since it can't be CC'd.

1:05- Try to waveshine either on reaction or in place so you can follow DI no matter what(until higher percent when you have to guess more).

1:09- Always do the shine to fadeaway Nair when close, mixup your shield pressure game!

1:17- Where are you going? You got stage control and then you started empty hopping then FH'd away. Just get a laser or a few out for control then work from there.

you didn't need to grab the edge for that edgeguard since he could go above you. Staying onstage and threatening with Bair or Dair are powerful tools here.

Yeah okay, your big problem is you don't laser enough and lock yourself down into one spot or attack too quickly/predictably out of a small area instead of WD'ing/dashing around first to change up your spacing. Get your tech skill and movement and shield pressure down and mixed up along with varied edgeguarding and you'll be better off.

Hey I got some vids up for critiquing, pick and choose at your leisure:
me vs kels(sheik/fox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h523D_TjQJQ
me vs kels again later in tournament: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmlVxjYk0kQ
me vs tink(marth): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEY_tkJnxn0
Any tips/observations would be appreciated.
You vs Tink game 1:

0:07- Doing that delayed Dair pressure on Marth is no good if you haven't really locked him down. If you miss the Dair shine combo expect people trying to get away.

0:13- Should have fallen with a laser or dropped through the platform with a Bair.

0:14- CC or at least shield/WD away or something!

0:15- Fsmashing after getting up can be good but usually it's not a good idea because Marth is looking to quickly or semi-quickly punish a getup. Just stick to like uptilt or something or just resetting to neutral or if you must attack then do an aerial or maybe an Ftilt for quick damage.

0:23- WD out of your dash so you're moving quick but with other options. also shine turnaround wavedash to the edge could have gotten Marth killed. You also could have waited there and Dsmash'd or potentially Dair'd.

0:30- A good idea, but try stabbing with Dtilt since that's safer and Marth's shield was still kinda big if you wanted to shield stab. You could have just pressured or shine grabbed or something too lol.

0:32- Try not to edgehop double laser so close to the opponent. Side Bs, regular low % getups, and edge dashes are great options still.

0:43- You're moving too slow here. Marth had time to waveland and everything and you were stuck in one spot. Be sure to keep on moving around so Marth can't pin you down like that if he does go high.

0:46- Try not to DI that Fthrow in because that Dtilt pushes you super low.

0:51- Marth keeps WD Fsmashing out after the shine so you need to either aerial faster or laser at him instead as a mixup. Or again you could shine grab lol.

I think a biiiig problem of yours is unsafe stuff on shield. Try to force people to fear you more when they shield because you let them out with a laggy move too often after you force the shield. grabs and different timings of your attacks are good ways to do this.

1:00- Going at Marth usually isn't reliable if you can force him to reach in some way instead.

1:02- Marth is usually waiting for you to hit his shield first so far so just go into him if he shields like that. You picked a pretty good option but Marth can reach that sadly lol.

1:15- Falco just isn't quite fast enough to punish Marth's moves with dash attack unless Marth commits super hard. Stick to lasers to punishes or grabs or trying to get pressure out of the deal instead of a direct quick lag punish and I think that will help you a lot.

1:16- Kinda risky but I can see why you'd try it. Generally though it's not worth lasering really close to Marth but if you had a little momentum or he respected your OOS game more he might have gotten hit/shielded the laser instead.

1:28- where are you going? Stay grounded if you're trying to keep Marth in place. Use your stage control to force Marth off and get a kill or make him feel pressured into attacking you. You could also fall with a laser if you went high like that but burning your DJ so late and not falling with even a Dair is not usually a good idea.

1:39- Could have comboed(indirectly) harder out of an upthrow haha. You could have gotten more on the fthrow too if you chose to follow up on in harder instead of WD'ing back when no one runs at you after being Fthrown lol.

then you SH too much with no momentum because that;s how you like to try and regain it. if you can't get going on a SH in place then WD back/FH to get moving so you can get into a groove for your next approach.

1:56- the spotdodge all Marths bait. Try to hold shield or at least roll away or jump away instead.

2:09- Marth isn't gonna come at you, so don't think an AC Bair will help you there. He only comes in when he feels really safe these days so if you're not going into Marth with the bair then you probably won't beat the move he's trying to space on you. It's better to move away or just approach from the position you Bair'd in.

You have another big habit of getting under Marth like you did next and then just taking hits. Learn to either pressure marth on a platform or Bait those moves he does and punish them(can also CC punish).

Grab game, tech skill, movement, taking advantage of stage control, and changing up the timing of those Fsmashes on shield if you keep doing em lol.

Anyone who wants to critique my Falco I would be happy to hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu0syMFAMKY&feature=channel_video_title

I'm the red one.
Game 1:

0:07- tech skill

0:15- Drop lower with a laser to prevent that from happening.

0:18- Didn't hold the stall long enough. I don't think you would have gotten hit anyway.

you come back and spam Bairs the wrong way and wrong height. Cut off his angles with your spacing then intercept him trying to cross you up(he jumped over you) or kill his defensive options like shielding or rolling so you can get something off of it.

0:26- Just grab or Dair LOL dash attack may have been harder to combo with since he was so close right there.

0:31- Try to charge Dsmash a little longer to screw with tech timings.

0:34- Laser patterns need work.

0:38- What are you Bair'ing at? watch where your opponent is going.

0:45- Got hit for aerial'ing too high on your opponent's shield.

1:05- Good until here. Land close to him so you could shine his tech in place and react to anything else he did.

1:09- Jumped up too late to challenge the bair. Just laser him and punish.

1:14- Just roll up lol.

1:23- when he wavelanded onto the platform you have time to get out so look for the holes so you can escape!

You're pretty bad at catching him when he goes onto a platform/high at all. Work on baiting his falls into you and how to use your Bairs to threaten him and control where he can fall from while still keeping stage.

1:54- most Falcos will jump OOS after that laser since you hit them away and charge at them so be ready for this situation and that typical response in the future.

2:14- Bair'd too early.

2:22- could have Fsmashed or Dair Dsmashed.

2:25- Could have Dair'd on the edge to cover that and still reacted to him going high I'm pretty certain.

2:28- running off the platform when he double lasers? fall through the platform and hit him so he falls off/gets hit. don't give him the free momentum.

2:55- try to fall into Falco if he's just running around with a laser. usually he can space around the Dair if you're coming from a DJ since that's kinda slow.

work on shield pressure game and tech skill overall some and how to control the opponent when they go high....those are the biggest ones.

Jake13 (Fox) vs Broly (Marth/Jiggs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOXNLcCngc

Loser's Finals
Jake13 (Falco) vs Sybawave (Marth/Sheik/Fox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG7_o03Vxa8

Grand Finals
Jake13 (Falco/Fox) vs TSC (Falcon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIcCEAhDJV8

what up falcos! i have here three sets from a tourney this past weekend that i would love some critique on.

obviously i don't want you to watch each one, pick one at your leisure and throw me an opinion on it plz :) i just put up three so that you could pick your matchup (all of which will have falco of course!)

<3falcoboards!
vs TSC game 1:

1:08- don't do that Nair. Low percents getting hit by Nair with you still in lag afterward just isn't good. Try to hit him with shine or lasers or Bair at least since that's stronger.

1:16- Trying to Dair into Falcon isn't so good because that Uair trade would suck. You might have been alright trading at those percents though but generally you wanna WD OOS away and try to drop down(or shield drop I guess lol).

Then you run into Falcon's moves....try to use that DD to see what he's doing then wait out the time for you to attack. You could have DD Bair'd or grabbed there and done some work if you read his aerial momentum.

1:26- Bair'd far too late.

1:30- a risky maneuver, so I'd say make sure you do it fast when you execute because Falcon will try to run away(not DD back like I guess you may have accounted for going slightly more in the middle of the platform than needed).

1:49- Why did you Dair early? Try to hit Falcon as you fall so you can be out of lag before/close to the same time as he's coming out of stun.

2:10- You weren't close enough to the middle to react to all options with a shine. Turn around so a SH Bair could hit him from there if you're not going to the middle(even though you should because shine gets great followups).

2:18- Drop down there and hit him!

2:41- Way too wild of movement there. Try to stay below Falcon or at least not double jumping above him unless you have to because that Uair should have ***** you there.

2:45- Can't do too much to Falcon off of upthrow as a combo so stay under him if you decide to upthrow.

2:49- Keep lasers out to avoid this.

You have a bit of a habit of holding shield after whiffing aerials. You started getting punished for it.

Jake13

Smash Lord
1:49- Why did you Dair early? Try to hit Falcon as you fall so you can be out of lag before/close to the same time as he's coming out of stun.

You have a bit of a habit of holding shield after whiffing aerials. You started getting punished for it.

TY PP! :)

i honestly didn't notice my shield habit till now, awesome!

and the early dair was a slip of ze fingers lol

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
@ Lanceinpants critique - at :18 I don't think he held it too short, I think he just stalled at the wrong height <_<

If you're going for a stall -> doublejump / firegrab sweetspot on the ledge you should generally drop a little lower so you don't get hit by runoff shenanigans like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom