• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
every single falco i see nowadays that isn't performing they way they want to doesn't have control over their character

and even some of the ones that do decently have barely acceptable levels of proficiency w/ falco's movement

learn how to control your character
There's sooooooooooo much behind this that its ridiculous. I don't mean how much Falco's don't move around much because I'm not assuming that, but instead how much it takes to gain control over their character.

I could write a 3 page essay on it. 5 pages if I used outside sources and indented quotes. Maybe I will eventually.

Autopilot is fun....

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Tommy... didn't you already write said essay? I mean I have your prediction guide bookmarked.
Sorry I haven't. It's soooooo expansive that it would take a very long time to write. Maybe I'll write it if I get bored in class one day.

[collapse=Pulse's review(not his single video, just the sample one I already did)]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggt6cLxSaMY

0:05 I'm guessing a button mispress. Should have been a normal shield grab.

0:15 Jump airdodge isn't the best option when people are spacing you out. It's best used for people who are being paranoid about options, but even there, the Pit player saw the airdodge, so he didn't need to worry about an attack. It gave him a free hit.

0:20 I love jab cancels. :D

0:24 Grab the ledge before he does, then ledge release jump attack him

0:29 There wasn't a need for a lot of the attacks that positioned you by the ledge. The grab was nowhere near him. Try to not use unnecessary attacks as it limits your options, like an opportunity cost. If you didn't do X attack, you could have done Y for more of a punishment. The Up B was unfortunate.

0:32 Instead of jumping away and up B-ing, go under him and space an up air with fast falls and up b after the uair, unfortunately its your best option.

0:50 The best thing you can do to a ledge camping Pit is the grab the ledge between his attacks and if he attacks again or goes above it, hit him with invulnerability. The bair was good.

0:53 Where are you going Falco? XD Don't go off stage against Pit. From plenty of Danny's Pit experience...don't do it.

0:58 Normally I wouldn't say the Side B was a good option, but Pit had upB lag. Too bad it didn't hit.

1:00 Mistiming on that Bair and Pit ending the jabs early was pretty lucky on your part.

1:01 Should have been a turn-around ftilt or jab rather than a jump back

1:02 Ahh there it is. XD

1:06 You deserve the fair for going off stage.

1:10 Flurry of missed attacks by both of you. Shows that you're panicking. Upsmash Oos worked, but you would have gotten punished hard if he was a step away from you. Watch your spacing and keep your calm.

1:14 Lasers are good but positioning for attacks are better. Move around without throwing out attacks. The paranoia you give could force Pit to do something punishable.

1:16 Nair Usmash setup :D

1:35 Pit on the ledge is as scary to him as it is to you. Give a real reason to be scared. Walk around. To the ledge and away. It'll scare him and then you can do that ledge grab->bair or similar again.

1:37 Reflector shows you were paranoid about Pit's ledge camping arrow. Don't let your paranoia decide your options before they need to be.

1:46 You're like a statue. Move around.

1:49 Yeah gatling combo at low percents and that happens. It sucks, just learn from it and don't do it again.

1:55 You clearly just want to get to him and hit him. Frustration at its finest. Watch your spacing and positioning. Don't let frustration decide what you're going to do before you do it.

2:00 Empty jump would have been really nice if you timed the pivot grab right.

2:01 Don't spam options after something goes wrong. It locks down your options. It's better to just get back and put both of back into neutral positioning(no one has an advantage) You got grabbed twice and Fsmashed for it.

2:06 Another Falco case of ledgephobia. Use the ledge with side B. Falco's get ups are actually really good. Explore them.

2:08 Bad spacing got you hit by the Dtilt. Shielding protects you from bad spacing. Shield and Bair oos when you get the opportunity to escape the bad positioning.

2:10 Pit's jump made you throw out a dair while he spaced his positioning behind you. You have a double jump. Use it instead of throwing out attacks.

2:12 Arrow taking your double jump....and that's game. Paranoia from the arrow made you reflector. You could have side B-ed to the ledge.

Overall analysis: Move more and choose your attacks wisely. Know that you need to position yourself before you commit to an option.[/collapse]

My 4 written guides are here.
http://allisbrawl.com/blog.aspx?id=3447

It's on Allisbrawl because I don't remember where I posted it on here. XD and that is easier as just 1 link.
I have plenty of other wisdom and those guides don't contain the newest things I've discussed with other players. :D

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Someone say who they think is actually good, I'd love to see what people's opinions are.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
that dehf kid is terrible. obv one of the worst falcos.

I don't care where each individual Falco is ranked. I just like to see Falco do well.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I chock under pressure and go for grabs too much while misunderstanding my grab range.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I think the Falco players that fall in that class in the USA are in no order

1. DEHF (this one is in order)
Arty
Choice
Shugo
sk92
kismet
maybe keitaro

thats what i think i might have over looked someone

pulse131

Smash Ace
bc dosnt count he used mk that one time. ;p
tommy oh wow i cant believe maharba right now. i own his *** all day up and down and he uploaded THAT.
uhg. i was trolling that match-HARD. l0ol. ya that shouldnt of been seriously critiqued l0ol.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
BloodCross you went MK vs Kismet @ mlg i cant count you. but now kismet is MK also i miss all you good falcos posting goodvids on youtube :(

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
My Falco is tech savoy and delicious. It enjoys a night out on the town with boast pivot grab spacing variating from time to time. It occasionally enjoys jumping at high altitudes and as a result gets punished in the air. It also enjoy's baiting with up-air off the stage after pressing back on the ledge, then buffer jump to get back on the stage. An exclusive NY falco, people get mad over this play style. My falco is a falco that is falco, thinks it's falco and needs the advice of other falco's when I get video's up.

Falco

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
bc dosnt count he used mk that one time. ;p
tommy oh wow i cant believe maharba right now. i own his *** all day up and down and he uploaded THAT.
uhg. i was trolling that match-HARD. l0ol. ya that shouldnt of been seriously critiqued l0ol.
Regardless. XD It was meant to be a sample critique to show my style.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
My Falco is tech savoy and delicious. It enjoys a night out on the town with boast pivot grab spacing variating from time to time. It occasionally enjoys jumping at high altitudes and as a result gets punished in the air. It also enjoy's baiting with up-air off the stage after pressing back on the ledge, then buffer jump to get back on the stage. An exclusive NY falco, people get mad over this play style. My falco is a falco that is falco, thinks it's falco and needs the advice of other falco's when I get video's up.
Learn your character better. Flashiness does not prove how good of a Falco you truly are. Kind of sick of saying that same thing over and over but it's true.

vs problem

:58 Could have had one more Dthrow, but good enough I suppose.
1:09 Absolutely no reason to recover so high like that.
1:17 No reason for that ledgehop Dair
1:34 What were you trying to accomplish with those Uairs? Seriously, just get back on stage and try not to die....
1:39 You were just dash approaching him... after that Side-B lifted MK in the air, that would be your time for stage control... ahem JUST LASER MORE. Though the Bair wasn't bad
1:43 Aerial happy. Problem baited that well and handed you 37%.
1:51 Punish that with a Grab. You just dashed away.
2:08 You can't gimp MK. Don't even try. MK is quite limited when he's on the ledge other than planking and Tornado'ing your Short Hop. Keep him on the ledge, make him force as many ledge grabs as possible; he'll come to you eventually with airdodging back onto the stage. Punish those...
2:14 Getting desperate. MK had no reason to roll at you. At high percent, MK will shield alot. They won't care about getting grabbed either since Fthrow won't kill until at least 210%.
2:17 If you get a grab on MK at high percent, pummel for as much damage as you can, then throw him offstage (in this case Bthrow). MK was at too high percent for BDacus to be of any use now.
2:21 Same thing. Problem won't be falling for BDacus. Stop trying. Pummel and throw him offstage. Be patient.
2:40 Enough with the fullhopping. MK's invincibility was already gone. Luckily you only got punished with an Upsmash
2:49 Dude learn the Chain Grab percents. You can get up to 43% vs MK (that's 6 Dthrows) by walking. Also, you could have made it so MK would still end up onstage after the CG, which could lead to Gattling Combo (dash-attack Upsmash) or jab to grab. Inflict as much damage as you can.
2:57-3:08 LOL you were just ****** Problem with Jab. If you were to Jab and Laser more instead of trying to look cool with random aerials and... other random crap, you would have had a better chance.
3:34 You could have Side-B'd at MK's head and avoid taking damage.
3:36 No reason for that Bair. GET ON STAGE...

Not gonna bother rating anymore since Problem just toys with you in the end. Not gonna bother rating Game 2 either. Play more patient, learn the CG percents http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285572, Laser more, Jab more, Walk more, don't do stupid stuff.

omega zero

Smash Cadet
So, how does one go about "developing greater control" using Falco? I've been consistently losing to my brother (who's 7 year younger btw) and whatever character he uses (MK, Snake, Marth, Fox and even SHEIK.) It's kind of infuriating, but I think it's b/c I play slow compared to him, he's just all over the place. Are their any simple tips? Should I upload videos?

clowsui

Smash Legend
vids would be best

also, falcos who have consistently high levels of control
kismet, arty, choice, sk92, dehf, shugo, xaltis, nerd, me, da kid, KiD, bleachigo, pierce, ozz, gnes. sure there's a lot more i can't think of

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
I haven't had any good vids in a looooong time.

I've been so inactive in tournaments this last year, I still play play religiously, but I haven't entered in a while.

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
Learn your character better. Flashiness does not prove how good of a Falco you truly are. Kind of sick of saying that same thing over and over but it's true.

vs problem

:58 Could have had one more Dthrow, but good enough I suppose.
1:09 Absolutely no reason to recover so high like that.
1:17 No reason for that ledgehop Dair
1:34 What were you trying to accomplish with those Uairs? Seriously, just get back on stage and try not to die....
1:39 You were just dash approaching him... after that Side-B lifted MK in the air, that would be your time for stage control... ahem JUST LASER MORE. Though the Bair wasn't bad
1:43 Aerial happy. Problem baited that well and handed you 37%.
1:51 Punish that with a Grab. You just dashed away.
2:08 You can't gimp MK. Don't even try. MK is quite limited when he's on the ledge other than planking and Tornado'ing your Short Hop. Keep him on the ledge, make him force as many ledge grabs as possible; he'll come to you eventually with airdodging back onto the stage. Punish those...
2:14 Getting desperate. MK had no reason to roll at you. At high percent, MK will shield alot. They won't care about getting grabbed either since Fthrow won't kill until at least 210%.
2:17 If you get a grab on MK at high percent, pummel for as much damage as you can, then throw him offstage (in this case Bthrow). MK was at too high percent for BDacus to be of any use now.
2:21 Same thing. Problem won't be falling for BDacus. Stop trying. Pummel and throw him offstage. Be patient.
2:40 Enough with the fullhopping. MK's invincibility was already gone. Luckily you only got punished with an Upsmash
2:49 Dude learn the Chain Grab percents. You can get up to 43% vs MK (that's 6 Dthrows) by walking. Also, you could have made it so MK would still end up onstage after the CG, which could lead to Gattling Combo (dash-attack Upsmash) or jab to grab. Inflict as much damage as you can.
2:57-3:08 LOL you were just ****** Problem with Jab. If you were to Jab and Laser more instead of trying to look cool with random aerials and... other random crap, you would have had a better chance.
3:34 You could have Side-B'd at MK's head and avoid taking damage.
3:36 No reason for that Bair. GET ON STAGE...

Not gonna bother rating anymore since Problem just toys with you in the end. Not gonna bother rating Game 2 either. Play more patient, learn the CG percents http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285572, Laser more, Jab more, Walk more, don't do stupid stuff.
Being a really good help dude, thx guys

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Being a really good help dude, thx guys
Done reviewing your singles match.

[Collapse=C4's First match: My timestamp review.]0:46 Match starts. XD
0:47 You start of running around and jumping everywhere. I don't think you even know what you plan to be doing.
0:49 Jumping wayyy up there wasn't necessary. MK was still recovering from the trip and you could have moved to safety.
0:50 Double jumped wayyyyyyy too early. MK was no where near you. Also, use your fast falls to mindgame landings better.
0:53 You're lucky MK grabbed the wrong way. Don't be afraid to go to the ledge.
0:58 The reason why Falco's cg is so broken is the follow ups. Next time stop early or bpg and spike him on the ground.
1:00 Again with the running. Walk back and forth and use jabs and ftilt to space his recovery.
1:02 MK was too close for you to be jumping around shooting lasers.
1:05 Be careful you don't roll just to roll. Be aware of what you're doing.
1:07 Nair could have worked for a follow up, or walk back and wait for MK to throw out something.
1:10 Ledgephobia.
1:13 Bair was because you felt pressured. Mix up your movement before you want to throw out an attack. Attack at a last resort.
1:15 Moving back and forth and going to the ledge was very good.
1:16 Once you hit the ledge, your objective should be get on the stage. Don't go after MK when you're offstage.
1:21 Moving back and forth made MK unsure of where you were going. It gave you a free landing. Notice how good this is and learn to use it.
1:25 Camp mode never works against someone not stupid. Running around and jumping when you don't need to puts you in bad positions.
1:27 Probably could have just Side B-ed above MK's
1:29 You're still being pressured, get to neutral ground before you try to approach again
1:32 Moving forward the whole way. Move around. You double jumped right into MK. Side b into the ledge if you don't want to use your jump.
1:38 Stop using moves just to use them. Slow down.
1:42 Never chase. If you're going to approach, space everything and let them pick an option before you do. MK airdodged the uair when you could have just stayed on the ground and punished

the airdodge or punished his jump if he jumped instead.
1:48 MK has 5 jumps. Stop trying to chase him in the air. Let him make himself vulnerable coming to you
1:50 Ran back when there was no threat. Just walk if you want to move back.
1:52 Running grabs are terrible. At that distance, it would be better to walk up and ftilt.
1:54 Jumped and only moved left. You can move left, right, side b and fast fall. Use them all.
2:00 This is where a lot of Falco's start to mess up most. Don't autopilot link to up smash.
2:05 Good side-b mixups. Shield poked and he was close to the ledge. Only side b to the stage when theyre close to the ledge and preferably running.
2:08 That's what you get for trying to go after MK off stage.
2:14 MK was no where near you nor did he fear anything coming from you because you didn't move around.
2:20 Run forward and DACUS the airdodge rather than bdacusing it.
2:31 Interesting evasion of the tornado.
2:33 Good mixup but watch your spacing. MK could have up B-ed you
2:40 Jumping around is good, just try not to pick options before thinking it (the roll and the laser)
2:42 Good job escaping and make it back to neutral ground. Try not to airdodge to the ground when you don't need to.
2:49 Very good use of pivot grabs and rolls. Make sure you're not ONLY locking down to pivot grabs.
2:53 See 0:58
2:55 Walk around. It makes even MK's anxious when recovering. Be careful when going to the ledge, You can get gimped before you grab it.
2:58 Nice Phantasm Cancel but you probably should have gotten up way before that. You're lucky it spaced the jab so well.
3:00 I hope the dtilt was predicted and you didn't just side step out of paranoia. Your reward was technically 3% for that huge prediction.
3:01 You're lucky he dsmashed too fast. Ftilt or walk away and wait for a reaction would have been better.
3:02 Pivot jab was fast and that DI caused a cross up. It's never really a good idea to be that close to anyone in Brawl while in neutral position. Be careful not to spot dodge just because

you're scared of him behind you.
3:05 Lockdown to Keitaro time. Interesting crossup by rolling when MK was running.
3:08 MK finally hit you for the random spotdodging.
3:10 Jump was unnecessary, you weren't in danger on the ground.
3:14 Side-B punished the ending lag on MK's fair. That's what you should have all of your punishes from neutral position do. Punish ending lags of attacks or improper spacing.
3:16 Fsmash when MK was running after you wasn't necessary and you could have gotten punished hard. Best case scenario was if you predicted a crossup pivot grab. Bad cases are, MK shield,

MK up B, MK short hop waited for ending lag.
3:19 Could have pressured better with walking forward and waiting for an opening or learn to DACUS better.
3:21 Could have turned around and grabbed when you landed instead of rolling away.
3:25 You weren't in as much danger as you thought and MK punished you for side-bing. Also you're attacking when you land a lot. Try not to lock down to attacks. Movement>attacking
3:29 What happened last time you tried to chase MK in the air with a jumping uair?
3:35 Get back on the stage. Stop fighting on the ledge.
3:40 Could have phantasmed to the ledge.
3:45 Bair/Dair or footstool the tornado
3:47 Good side B, MK was too close to punish without predicting it.
3:49 Good Ftilt but you ran away and let him get up for free. Walk back and grab or ftilt when he lands
3:50 I don't understand the b-reversed laser, maybe a button mispress.
3:55 That's what you get for fighting on the ledge.

Overall Synopsis: You need to move around with reason more(walk back and forth to space) and stop jumping so much just to jump, especially when locking down to a laser. A lot of your short hops got you punished. Ftilt, jab, and grab are Falco's best tools, none of which can be used in the air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiuXqwm15AE
It might seem a bit critical, but I don't mean to make you look terrible. With some work on spacing and realizing what your main tools are and where you need to be to utilize them, you could be on your way to one of the top ranking Falcos. :D
[/collapse]

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
I haven't had any good vids in a looooong time.

I've been so inactive in tournaments this last year, I still play play religiously, but I haven't entered in a while.
I'm active yet never have videos up. Our region sucks for getting tournament videos up. It's quite annoying

I got vids of me losing to Ike and Sonic, rarely any wins...

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
I'm active yet never have videos up. Our region sucks for getting tournament videos up. It's quite annoying

I got vids of me losing to Ike and Sonic, rarely any wins...
I also refuse to have video's of me up unless it's enforced or its a respectable player.

I'm coming back soon, cuz I have a few tricks that I want to show everyone. But my techskill is trash now. I can't Bdacus like the god I used to Bdacus like.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
I also refuse to have video's of me up unless it's enforced or its a respectable player.

I'm coming back soon, cuz I have a few tricks that I want to show everyone. But my techskill is trash now. I can't Bdacus like the god I used to Bdacus like.
I don't like to rely on Bdacus unless if I practice and get it consistently. Only time I'm not fearful of using Bdacus is after Dthrow. Half the time I won't get punished if I mess up the input or just flat out miss.

Top Bottom