• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official APEX 2012 Results Thread! ALL RESULTS UP. International takes it all!

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Alex, Esam and I told you ourselves at Apex that you did an AMAZING job. The tournament was run very well. It's not your fault some people didn't wanna listen to you guys and stop doing friendlys/money matches. You, Doom, Chibo etc all did an amazing job at what you did. Your a cool nice guy, and made everything amazing. Don't quit at something you good at. = D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Espy, we talked briefly when I asked you to sign my Death Note autograph book.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I just want to explain why we made the stream on Sunday the way we did.
Again it was totally on me for asking the community rather than doing it myself... I am sorry about all of this...
Stay.

You're taking responsibility for some of the mistakes that were made, saying yourself what you would do to fix it next time, explaining why you did what you did, and apologizing for things that went wrong. Meanwhile, a bunch of things did still go right.

We need TOs like you: Ones who care about the community, are willing to try new things, and are willing to take responsibility when things don't all go as well as they could have.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
even those who felt the tournament itself could have been run better, myself included, can appreciate your intentions. execution is the issue. that is not to say that running a tourney this size is easy, but walking away is not a good solution. regroup, identify what went wrong, and take measures to correct any problems. that's all you can really do

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I didn't learn fast enough against Ryo.

Alex, I told you what I felt at the venue. Don't be so hard on yourself considering you did everything you could to make this event as godlike as you could. There were problems with set-ups, and that's about it. Everything was run as well as it could under the circumstances: You ran...what...8 tournaments in 3 days totaling ~1000 players? You are mad at yourself because the stupid ****s stream-monstering and the ignorant ****s couldn't tell how difficult of a situation you were in and how amazing you handled the situation? **** that bro, you did amazing, Doom did amazing, Diem did amazing, and whoever the other TOs were did amazing. If people *****ed it is because they are too dumb to understand the circumstances which you were given. Keep your head up, bro. Don't leave, this was probably top 2 tournaments I've ever been to (MLG Orlando probably being 1st) and no other TO without a huge business behind them could make something run as well/hype/amazingly as you did.

<3 you Jonathan

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Alex I would just like to point out that it's ridiculous for you to think that you failed the community. I wasn't actually at apex unfortunately, and yes, I didn't particularly want to watch mvc3 or ssf4 instead of melee, but I understand why you did it and I think it was a good idea in the long run like you said. As you mentioned, I get the feeling a lot of things that went wrong were out of your control, and people need to understand that you did the best that could've possibly been done with what you were given (which I'm quite certain wasn't much) and almost all I've been hearing is that this tournament was one of the greatest ever. Sure, the schedule was a bit off and things ran a bit late, but what matters is that it did in fact finish. It isn't in any way, shape, or form your fault that there was a lack of setups. From what I've heard, there were a bunch of tvs that you set aside for friendlies only that could have been used to finish pools faster, but in the long run it's better that way. A lot of people went to apex not even thinking they'd make it out of r1 pools, they should definitely get friendlies in, it helps the community grow by giving people a good reason to say, I for one would not go to a tournament if I couldn't play many friendlies, thats practically the reason I go. Finally, if you were to walk away from smash and stop hosting, what other great internationals would there be? (Especially on the east Coast). After what happened with pound, it seems like the east coast was left with apex as the only international and revival of melee, which is great but certainly not as big as an apex. You definitely shouldn't feel like you failed the community just because some people were jerks about it and feel entitled to things. You gave the smash scene two of the greatest internationals in history, Apex 2010 and 2012, and you gained next to nothing in return. It's people like you who keep the community alive, I'm sure more than 90% of the community would love nothing more than for there to be another Apex, myself included.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Tin Man!! I just added u on facebook buddy!

@Alex - I understand how u feel but nothing can be perfect. Remember that u will always have critiques and that most people want to naturally be negative and talk about the bad.
The tourney was awesome and is our biggest smash event. Don't leave the scene and definitely give us an even greater show next year.

My only issueas now that this is definitely an official event like MLG have an official way for seeding. I don't feel having TO's put who they think is even for round 2 pools is legit and can have bias. Just a fair warning cuz u definitely need to cover legalities. Like I saw some players giving their input cuz they were friends with the TO or the TO trusted them. U could def. be sued as someone might not think that is fair.

Anyways keep making Apex the biggest smash official event. I'll support u forever!!

t3h Icy

Smash Master
MacD seems to get to Winners' Quarters a lot and then get bodied, lol. Here, Genesis 2, RoM3. He's like a reverse Hax. :awesome:

Djent

Smash Champion
It gets even weirder than that, though. MacD usually beats Hax in Winners' (a.k.a. MacD land), such as at RoM 3 and No Johns 01/15/11. But whenever they fight in Hax land a.k.a. the Losers' bracket (Pound 5 and Apex 2012), Hax wins.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I am leaving
Really?! For reals?! You organized the biggest smash tournament in history and you are just gonna walk?! You sure as hell can't let criticism of what people say too damn seriously! Just because the "fighting" game community of the tournament didn't enjoy themselves shouldn't justify the overall quality of the tournament! Hell, the FGC are always on each others cases when it comes to their fighters! EVO still has that problem today!

If you leave now, I will hate you forever.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Well, might as well do shoutouts... Dunno how long it's gonna take though. XD

My round 1 pool

Gh0st: Your Kirby's mad good, sorry I didn't keep Kirby ditto'ing after game 1 though, it was way too risky for pools. I can't wait to see your Kirby improve! Great set! -^_^-

Vinnie: Y U GO MK VS EVERY1 BUT ME?! ;_;

Crash: Considering I never heard of you before, you were pretty good, you played Kirby vs Falco just how you should've... Was annoying though, I wish you approached in the MU so I could **** aggresively. XD

Shinibu: GGs but holy ****, don't ****ing squeeze people's hands... I was legitimately worried I wouldn't be able to play for the rest of the day after our "handshake", that hurt like hell...

My round 2 pool

Zeton: GGs, really fun set. You really made me pay for my fishing/mistakes game 3, but it's okay cause I learned. XD

Toronto Joe: Thanks for making me realize I'm not as good at Kirby vs MK as I thought I was, GGs. XD

Nairo: It was fun finally getting to play your really fast MK even if it was ****. GGs!

Chimpakt: It sucks you got DQ'd, but you probably would've ***** me just like you did in Pokemon. XD

Pokemon shoutouts

GGs to everyone I played, I don't really remember your names other than Chimpakt though, I was just sat in front of to play you. ^^; To the guy who beat me in winner's though, sorry about the rage after the set and good **** to Chimpakt for ****** my **** in loser's, LOL.

Other shoutouts

Sin: Thanks for coaching me in my round 1 pool, it really helped me out. It was also nice seeing you again, I haven't seen you in forever. Fun MM too.

RedHalberd: Fun MM, I'm really surprised I beat your Snake, but I think MK vs Snake is my best MU. It sucks you were called to your teams match right as we were gonna do an MK ditto MM. D:

RJ: Fun MMs.

That Diddy I MM'd: Don't remember your name, but GGs, maybe you remember me? I played green MK using the "PHC!" tag. XD

Leon: I'm really sad we didn't get to do our MM, but it was hard to find any TVs to play on day 2 and I had to leave early day 3. :_;

Ally: It was great finally being able to talk and chill with you for once, you're mad chill. :D

Tiger: Did you and Kiwi ever get to do the MM? If so, I hope my Kirby practice helped! o,o

ZeRo: It was great to finally meet you in person! You're one of the funniest people I've ever met, your personality is great. You're suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a troll too! Good job coming up here from Chile! :D

Hmmm, not sure who else to give shoutouts... I had to leave early day 3 before brackets. ;_;

Well, other then there being a lack of friendly/MM set-ups and the floppy schedule, Apex 2012 was a really great tourney and I'm glad I was able to be at it. :D

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Really?! For reals?! You organized the biggest smash tournament in history and you are just gonna walk?! You sure as hell can't let criticism of what people say too damn seriously! Just because the "fighting" game community of the tournament didn't enjoy themselves shouldn't justify the overall quality of the tournament! Hell, the FGC are always on each others cases when it comes to their fighters! EVO still has that problem today!

He's pretty serious.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
People who think Alex Strife leaving will impact the ability for us to organize large tourneys don't really know much fo what went on BtS... A lot of that **** was taken care of by other people.

numberonenacho

Smash Lord
Washington got kinda bodied. C!Z, Vish, Bladewise eh in Pools R1. SW 0-2 v Darc. Eggz 0-2 in bracket. Toph, Vish not making bracket (although no shame in losing to Stric. Dunno who Vish lost to cuz R2 pools aren't all up).
I had Dr.PeePee, PC Chris and Zoler. got 3rd in my pool. =\ Too hard.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
People who think Alex Strife leaving will impact the ability for us to organize large tourneys don't really know much fo what went on BtS... A lot of that **** was taken care of by other people.
You don't know at all what went on bts because you weren't there bts, you just know what dm did/tells you.

Nike.

Smash Hero
shoutouts to America cheering for japan against me a 2nd time
It was mainly because of Ocean using ROB.
I'm pretty sure everyone would have had your back if you played against Nietono/Otori/Kakera/Rain/Brood.

It also doesn't help that you try to timeout everyone that beats you game1 :/
Your good enough to straight up beat people head on, so it's frustrating to us when you play the gay time out game.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You don't know at all what went on bts because you weren't there bts, you just know what dm did/tells you.
I know that, if you didn't know Alex Strife was the TO, you probably couldn't tell that he was hosting because he spent most of Friday and Saturday doing not much of anything.

That said, enlighten me: What did Alex do that the rest of us can't step up to do without constantly *****ing, threatening to cancel the tourney, etc?

Top Bottom