• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

Gnes

Smash Master
Kirby is most likely 40-60 against Snake.

And yah I'm going to have much different opinions when you guys are saying Kirby is even with some of the worst chars in the game like Samus and Ganon.

Bunny your attitude towards me is getting old. It's comical that you people act childish towards me just because you don't agree with my opinions. Seriously grow the **** up.
Honestly i have no problems with radically different opinions because thats what they are...OPINIONS. If u honestly believe that the matchup is that highly in our favor state some reasoning...Im not saying it has to be some incredibly intellectual post...im just saying it needs to be more than "kirby's moveset is 12x better."(Which is subjective in itself)

Enough on that...Phantom...get out of here...The wario discussion was over ages ago lol
Silly mods :)

Ive found that if jigglypuff uses rollout...even if i know exactly when it will end and where...i still try to pivot grab her...cuz u know i do it...looks cool...but if i miss...i die in a blaze of glory

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Kirby is most likely 40-60 against Snake.

And yah I'm going to have much different opinions when you guys are saying Kirby is even with some of the worst chars in the game like Samus and Ganon.

Bunny your attitude towards me is getting old. It's comical that you people act childish towards me just because you don't agree with my opinions. Seriously grow the **** up.
Okay. That's cool.

Now about those matchups?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, Veril, I was hoping you'd come in here. That perfect Rest/interrupted rest was my biggest gap of knowledge on this matchup.
Can't you also rest us out of our jab? (Yeah, I don't know when we'd use that on puff, but still...)

Seems mostly everything has ben said though.
Basically, Kirby should be careful in the air (especially vs pound and Fair), and avoid doing stuff that'll get him rested.

Also, can Utilt beat out JP's Fair/Bair?

Sheer, we don't hate you because you have different opinions, we hate you because you're a *******. I mean, if you at least had some sort of intelligent reasoning for any of this, even if it were flawed, you'd get some respect, but all you do is brag about tournament rankings no one has ever seen and talk about how spamming Bair and jab shuts down everyone in the game (in a nutshell). Please, either start getting reasonable arguements or stop posting.
As for the moveset being better, in that case wouldn't MK, Snake, and Marth pretty much **** everyone 70-30 minimum? Wouldn't D3 suck (half his moveset sucks pretty hard after all)? Wouldn't Link be at least mid tier?
No, there are other factors than that, which you obviously haven't grasped.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The only reason I brought up tourney placings (once) was because people were bashing my credibility for no reason at all. And when I do try to intelligently discuss the matchups with reasons I get bashed then too, like this:

how spamming Bair and jab shuts down everyone in the game (in a nutshell).
See stuff like that is just childish. I said properly spaced bairs and vulcan jabs effectively keep IC from grabbing Kirby and you try to turn it around in a demeaning fashion to make me look dumb. Hmmm I wonder why I don't post the logic behind my opinions?

As for the moveset being better, in that case wouldn't MK, Snake, and Marth pretty much **** everyone
Ummm MK and Snake do have better movesets than everyone in the game thus why they have the advantage on pritty much every character in the game.

There are some people on here, who despite disagreeing with my opinions, are willing to intelligently discuss the matchup. (Like greatness and Asdioh). But most of you (Bunny, Alison, fromundaman) just see my extremely deviated opinions and choose to flame me instead.

But, I guess you're right fromundaman. After my 4 years of playing competitive smash I guess I'm just not capable of grapsing how to analayze matchups.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
eh Sheer, I don't care if your opinions are different, it's just that you usually state it as a fact and then leave, only to come back later to argue with people because they inevitably flame you for saying something so bold without any reasoning.

Think of it this way: Kirby pwns Captain Falcon. Last I checked, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf had a pretty even matchup. I thought that similarly, Kirby pwned Ganondorf.

The Ganondorfs come in and give us reasoning for the matchup to be closer to 50-50, and we (reluctantly) saw their point.

I was still able to sandbag in a moneymatch against a Ganondorf and win, but that's besides the point.

^ if those last three lines had nothing to do with anything, pardon my random train of thought.

If you're going to say something, just put a couple lines of why you think what you do so I don't have to read through these flame wars OVER AND OVER.

...Anyway, that's interesting about Rest. I haven't really played a Jigglypuff offline (lol good luck Resting consistently on wifi >_>)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It was more than just that one time (for Bair anyway), though I can go get more examples if you want next week (no time this weekend). To be fair though, that wasn't much of logic considering (I'm taking the ICs matchup as an example, as that's the one I remember best) that you failed to take into account anything that the opponent had to get around what you suggested.

I'd also like to mention I've supported *parts* of your posts more than most people here. If only you would take the stupid **** out of your posts and only post the intelligent reasoning, then maybe this wouldn't happen so often.

Also, MK and Snake both have quite a few even matchups as well, and Snake has some disadvantageous matchups, one of which is to D3 (I like how you ended the quote right before this part of it in fact), who frankly, doesn't have an amazing moveset.

See, talking about deviated opinions, I came in here saying the Ganon matchup was even and no one seemed to agree right? Well, I don't remember getting flamed as hard as you have... maybe because I actually proposed arguements (some of which were proven wrong and I admitted those), whereas the last ratio you offered had as a reasoning literally just moveset A is better than moveset B. Sure, you've played competitive smash MUCH longer than me, there's no denying that, but if you're still trying to determine matchups by 'character A is higher tier!' or 'my moveset is the awesome!', then obviously it hasn't served you too well...

(Also, didn't you mention somewhere in the Marth discussion how good your tourny record was as well, or am I thinking of someone else? Finally, why do you always ignore it whenever you contradict yourself?)

You know what though, I think I'm done arguing with you. If you want to debate matchups, then sure, I'll join in, and if you show me you're right, then I won't be ashamed to admit I'm wrong, but if we're just going to keep going on like this, then **** it.

EDIT: Asdioh summed it up in a less aggressive and probably better way.

Falcon, you're thinking of a different word with the same number of letters. Don't worry, I think you still have that title :laugh:

So anyway... about that puff...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Err... do the Jiggly mainers know we're talking about this matchup? Or are they just okay with 60-40?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
A few of them came in and agreed with the ratio (Veril, PNDMike, and I think there were a few others who I'm forgetting...)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I think they agree with 60-40 Kirby to me, I guess that's why I haven't seen many Jigglypuff mains come here?

Gnes

Smash Master
*whew kirby board drama* I agree falcon...this matchup doesnt seem to need to be talked about...the jiggs mainers have got it under control. :)

I wish Texas had some puff mainers, then i could actually give some good insight but whatever...thats brawl.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Kirby boards drama is Snake, that's really it. And it's more like a family grudge that most of the family members dont really get. And prolly one relationship has formed between one of rivals family and one of ours.

Because that's just how generic the world is.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Kirby boards drama is Snake, that's really it. And it's more like a family grudge that most of the family members dont really get. And prolly one relationship has formed between one of rivals family and one of ours.

Because that's just how generic the world is.
<Troll> Any chance for a long and drawn out balcony scene? </Troll>

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
The gimp hurts. It hurts bad. But you won't be getting us far enough off stage until higher percents, so until you do, don't count the gimp. (Just for you A1lion)

Kirby's grab combo can get in nice damage on Link. Just beware that Link can break this combo by holding onto a bomb. A good Link will start off the match by pulling out a bomb, and using bombsmashes, spamming, and bomb-zairs to hold you off and build up damage on himself to avoid the chaingrab.
So the secret for Kirby here? Duck the spamming and let Link build up the damage on himself for you! Because Kirby's duck is just that amazing.
Try to approach Link through the ground at most percents, because that way you can duck all of Link's projectiles when needed, avoid any zair spacing, and can PS or just shield Link's counter attacks into a fsmash to knock him off stage for the gimp.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
You're very light, Link has range and KO power. Look out. Link is going to be pressuring you offstage with his projectiles to waste your jumps and force you to use your final cutter recovery which is easily avoided and punished if you make the mistake of landing onstage with it. If you use it from below Link can hop off the stage with a Dair and possibly KO you or stage spike you. Kirby's grab combo's hurt and can score a nice chunk of damage on Link which will make is easier for you to get him offstage. Don't get too comfortable in the air because Link enjoys whacking floaty things with his gale boomerang and aerials right out of air and Kirby may have a problem approching the projectile spam with a lack of a projectile or some kind of reflector. You'll have a much easier time approaching from the ground since you have that awesome crouch of yours.

This like 65:35 or 70:30 in favor of Kirby.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Like what other's have said, kirby's grab combo can get you a headstart of damage, but a good Link pulls out a bomb and racks up damage with projectiles as you fruitlessly attemp to grab us. If you choose to attack Link during this time, you will damage us enough so that your grab combo doesn't work.
Staying in the air too much will get you a nice gale or ziar to the face so don't abuse your air game, but do abuse your crouch. Link can also kill kirby very early on due to his light weight, a fresh dair will destroy kirby around 100%.
As for kirby's advantage, well, he can gimp us. Link cannot safely edgeuard kirby if he jumps off the stage as kirby can just inhale him and spit him out to his demise. However, Link can actually recover from what would seem to be killing blows due to our DI so we will live to around 150%-180% without being gimped.
70:30 Kirby

sasook

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GCeo0kjtps - November - friendly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlGbz-Me0Rs - August - friendly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6XL4rcE8HA - August - friendly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PkCzn19KY8 - August - friendly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=169llV5IiIc - November - tourney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdYl6CQZkI - November - tourney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6JIDmHVvcQ - November - tourney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntfr7vIm1ME - November - tourney

I dunno much about this matchup, but I found these. Hope they help.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If you space well and avoid some of his more powerful KO moves, you can get him offstage and then he's pretty mush dead. He's heavy though, so that's easier said than done. Just get him off as soon as you can and you'll be better off. Swallowing him can give you a projectile, but his projectile game can be annoying. Crouch and weave your way through it to approach him, and then punish any of his slower moves. Be patient, punish, and gimp. Take him to Orpheon, gimp city imo.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
why you would post on the link SWF page is unknown to me. Lots of us don't even check it any more since we moved to AIB.

just look up a arkive 8-bit match.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, I posted those already Swordplay. XD

And not all of the boards know the Link boards moved to AiB.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone noticed that all 3 of Link's projectiles can be curved to hit a crouching Kirby? If Kirby just crouches all day, Link can snipe him with arrows, or, if that is too hard, he can jump and angle a boomerang at Kirby. If Kirby's crouch somehow can avoid that, Link has bombs, and the explosion from a bomb cannot be crouched. Link's crouch is better than Kirby's because he holds his shield up, which blocks ALL projectiles. Link does get gimped, but, in general, Links have excellent DI, multiple options for recovery (bombs, spin attack, zair), and ways to defend himself when recovering (boomerang, disjointed aerials, bombs) can be used intelligently by a good Link player to avoid the gimp and get back on stage. Kirby has grab combos, but, as stated before, by spacing well with zair, jab combo, projectiles, and holding a bomb, Link can avoid the grab early on, and put some damage on Kirby. Overall, I'd say that Kirby's advantage is more like 60:40, instead of 70:30, because Link can space Kirby's limited range efficiently, and he has a situational way of escaping Kirby's grab combos. However, Link's horrible recovery hurt him severely in this matchup, which helps Kirby tremendously.

TL,DR: 60:40 Kirby wins

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Yeah, I posted those already Swordplay. XD

And not all of the boards know the Link boards moved to AiB.
Most of the good players did.....SWF now is just a muck of people with no understanding of current metagame.

Quoted By Arkivezero
i think i'm the only link main with enough experience against a top level kirby to call this match up

its 70:30 in kirby's favor. everything kirby does destroys link and it also doesnt help that kirby has the best edge game out of all the characters. expect to get gimped and expect to get pissed lol
8-bit is his brother and he plays pro kirby's consistently

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
yeah, AIB is our new batcave basically.

Also, kirby can be hit while crouching, yes that is true, but it sure does help a good kirby who knows how to use his miniscule size to his advantage (as if he wasn't short enough).

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
A Good Link will keep you at bay with his projectiles. The trick is to get up close then he's basically yours. :)
Well, if you land one good fsmash, bair, or grab combo, then knock him offstage, he's not coming back.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Exactly. It's pretty much one sided because it's a major flaw that Link can't overcome.
This wouldn't be so bad if our recovery wasn't so good. Are we done here already? I think there might be 4 Link mains on SWF... and they don't wanna contribute.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Well, if you land one good fsmash, bair, or grab combo, then knock him offstage, he's not coming back.
Ha ha, ain't that the truth, I think this match up ended too soon. XD

I'm guessing the next match up thread will come out after the new tier list I guess. But the new tier list won't come out till early June though. Well, it's up to anyone that want's to start a new Match Up thread when it's time.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Ha ha, ain't that the truth, I think this match up ended too soon. XD

I'm guessing the next match up thread will come out after the new tier list I guess. But the new tier list won't come out till early June though. Well, it's up to anyone that want's to start a new Match Up thread when it's time.
You guys get things fast around here. ^^ I'm glad I use Kirby more, stuff is getting done. :mad:

That's EVERYONE? Oh wow.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You guys get things fast around here. ^^ I'm glad I use Kirby more, stuff is getting done. :mad:
lol, it looks that way doesn't it? Since most of the Kirby mains are fans of Kirby in every way, we do anything for the Pink Puff. =D

Also, we don't want to be behind when it come's to guides or Kirby wouldn't be loved in tourneys. D=

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
lol, it looks that way doesn't it? Since most of the Kirby mains are fans of Kirby in every way, we do anything for the Pink Puff. =D
Yea, like me! I've played every kirby game ever! Eh heh...*runs away*

Wait...we're done? No more arguing with trolly mctrolltroll about how kirby doesn't always have the advantage?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Actually, there's still quite a few things we could look into, but those are discussions for another thread.

HOWEVER, I propose we redo some matchups (notably Marth, Lucario and Pika IMO... Personally I feel Marth should be seperate from the others since he has the tools to be our worst matchup (even though I seem to **** Marth players... they get too predictable.), and now that I've played the matchup more, I don't see Kirby vs Pika as even (Pika is way too punishable, and his power utterly ***** him.). Lucario also seems much worse than 45-55.).

Top Bottom