• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It sucks that kirby has no glide toss nor any practical naner applications. I would say this matchup is like 60-40 diddy's favor.

At the last HOBO i went to...a kirby who was beating Ultimaterazer consistently in friendlies(they were friendlies lol but he was good)yet he couldn't touch me when we played.
Exactly. Even if Kirby does gain control of a banana or two, he has very little he can actually do with it. Plus, account for the fact that a Diddy main is always going to have waaay more experience using bananas, and seeing them used against him. So the Diddy will know what to do to deal with it.

And that's scary... a Kirby was beating a great Snake player consistently and then lost to Diddy :O
I'd like to point out everyone can glide toss/pseudo glide toss. Here's how you do it with kirby/tl/anyone else without a glide toss.

1. Dash
2. Jump
3. Throw

This will make it look like you're glide tossing. The only negatives are that you don't get any invincibility and that you can trip (SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Jump cancelled throws?

I'm pretty sure that's quite a bit different from glide tossing...

Asdioh why are you letting IC grab you? If you play smart they have no reliable way to grab you.

Also I would say Kirby has a 65-35 advantage on Samus.
I guess that's true, but I don't play out my matches like they were on paper. You're going to get grabbed SOMETIME -_-

I mean, let's say he's desynching Blizzards. You can't beat it with anything but Final Cutter, which has enough ending lag to get punished if he sees it coming (which is likely since Kirby has few other options)

You can approach from above, at which point the other IC can utilt you.

Spacing Bairs all day works, but Blizzard beats it badly.

And lol @ Kirby having a 65-35 advantage against Samus. How do you think Kirby has such a big advantage on everyone?

I still don't know what this matchup is, but I CAN say that it's in Samus' favor on wifi ^_^

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I still don't know what this matchup is, but I CAN say that it's in Samus' favor on wifi ^_^
QFT.

Samus is actually a fun matchup for Kirby, I play a pretty good Samus on a regular basis over wi-fi. Despite the miniscule lag, they can still pull off plenty of cool Samus tricks that work well on Kirby. Like, missile canceling is a pain to deal with as Kirby.

And because of our light-weight, Samus's inability to kill early doesn't apply.
I think of it as 55:45 our favor, actually. Not a big advantage... you won't gimp a good Samus, though.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Gner, do you still play Kirby? If so, do you want to play a handful of Wario vs. Kirby matches so we can finally get a handle for the matchup? XD

Gnes

Smash Master
Gner, do you still play Kirby? If so, do you want to play a handful of Wario vs. Kirby matches so we can finally get a handle for the matchup? XD
Yeah i do...I played him at HOBO 15 against Beah's marth...poor fool...he didn't know thats the matchup i know best lol...

Uh...ill play it if u want me too...Ive pretty much got a handle on the matchup when i played that 8 minute match against DMG...The answer...wario cannot outcamp kirby lol...but sure...college station tourney???

Sheermadness....u make me chuckle...Asdioh dont let it get to u...Shuz(the kirby player)was only winning friendlies...in tourney he got swept...He even lost on RC. Tasty impossible matchups.

Lastly...Sheer is right to a degree. When i played Melee 1 he only got like 3 grabs off on me in like 2 games. Needless to say they killed me but with proper spacing its pretty hard for them to grab u. Though i do need to say desynched ice blocks will stop any approach strategy.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah i do...I played him at HOBO 15 against Beah's marth...poor fool...he didn't know thats the matchup i know best lol...

Uh...ill play it if u want me too...Ive pretty much got a handle on the matchup when i played that 8 minute match against DMG...The answer...wario cannot outcamp kirby lol...but sure...college station tourney???

Sheermadness....u make me chuckle...Asdioh dont let it get to u...Shuz(the kirby player)was only winning friendlies...in tourney he got swept...He even lost on RC. Tasty impossible matchups.

Lastly...Sheer is right to a degree. When i played Melee 1 he only got like 3 grabs off on me in like 2 games. Needless to say they killed me but with proper spacing its pretty hard for them to grab u. Though i do need to say desynched ice blocks will stop any approach strategy.
I play a much different Wario than DMG does, lol. I mean, technically, if Kirby could camp Wario for 8 minutes as you seem to imply, that would give Kirby advantage, no? :p

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
QFT.

And because of our light-weight, Samus's inability to kill early doesn't apply.
I think of it as 55:45 our favor, actually. Not a big advantage... you won't gimp a good Samus, though.
By inability to kill, I meant a lack of killing moves (if you were aiming that at me), as while Dtilt, Charged Shot, and Fsmash kill early enough, they aren't exactly easy to land, and that is where Samus' killing problem arises IMO.
I dunno, I see this matchup close to even, one way or another, which most of us seem to agree on.

Sheer... I hope you realize we aren't talking about 64 Kirby in these matchups...

Yeah, ICs can have trouble grabbing Kirby if that's all they attempt. However, spacing Bairs all day won't beat out their other approaches.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I think we've all established that he's a troll. =/

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Is he for real?
We have yet to here his reason for this match up. Maybe he's talking about how his Kirby Brawl Samus, or he's just thinking way out side the box. Me personally, I've fought too many Melee Samus mains and not enough Brawl Samus because everyone's picks Zero Suit Samus because she's easier to win with, easy for me to three stock her *** that's a part of what I have to say.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So? They haven't, and maybe they have something that'll change the matchup.

Also, taking Pika's power changes the matchup, but nowhere near that much. Might make it 55-45, or maybe 60-40 if you stretch it, but yeah...

I'll go check it out. (Also, we seem to have more or less stopped discussion... want to move on? I'm really curious about the Jiggly matchup TBH.)

_clinton

Smash Master
JP can kill with Usmash, Fsmash, Dsmash, Fair, Roll out, and Rest (is there anything else I'm missing?)

As far as ground games go...JP has a good DACUS, dash attack, and a good grab game (but no kill throw/combo stuff of course to go with it IIRC >_>)

JP can perform 2 Nair, Fairs, or Bairs in a single short hop on even ground...Dair also goes into things...

JP's Fsmash and Dsmash are slower than Kirby's overall coming out...JP's Fsmash and Usmash are about as strong in KO power as Kirby's (Fsmash is weaker, Usmash is equal)
Dsmash is just a very low angle knock back move...
Becareful with Rollout...it is able to kill in less than 1/4th of its full charge time...
Rest is if anything...your own fault if you get hit by it (careful use of multihit moves is a must)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
He even lost on RC. Tasty impossible matchups.
Snake vs. Kirby is impossible? XD

If that's what you're talking about, you're close, but it's winnable if the Snake player doesn't know how to abuse tilts :D
I have lost to good jiggs players due to no real understanding of the match lol.

Please do help this ignorant soul.
hmmm

Jigglypuff's Fair beats most of your aerials...

Don't challenge her Pound (Side B) it has some weird freaking hitboxes, and is generally hard for Kirby (or at least me) to beat. I don't remember how much ending lag it has, and if it's punishable..

You won't be grabbing Jigglypuff much because she's in the air

Jigglypuffs like to charge Rollout offstage a lot. Best way to avoid Rollout is to jump and go in the air.*

You beat her pretty badly on the ground (except for Pound, which beats everything in the game :p)

Uair, Dair, and Bair are your friends. I think Upsmash may be your friend if you predict her approach correctly.

Make use of your Specials against Jigglypuff. Perhaps Inhaling her approaches is a good idea? You can also beat out her Pound and stuff with FC's disjointed hitbox. Same with Hammer. These are all pretty punishable, but in this matchup, the risk is worth the reward.

Taking her power isn't a bad idea, if you know how to use it right. (I kinda do ^_^ ... just don't suicide...)

Clinton is right, you don't need to fully charge Rollout for it to be effective.

I'd say this is definitely in Kirby's favor because of weight/killpower/priority, but it is by no means a free win, so be careful.

55:45 or 60:40 in Kirby's favor..?

It's rare for me to put something in Kirby's favor, guys >_> I think Kirby's such a mediocre character lolol

Maybe it's just because I find him extremely easy to beat.

*funny story, I was playing Melee with some really really good Melee players, and I was randomly playing Jigglypuff. I used Rollout from offstage, and they didn't expect it, because apparently it's not something that Melee Jigglypuffs do. XD

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Imo, Kirby shouldn't be getting killed by Jiggz's
Jiggzzzszszz's DAC(/DACUS whatevzz) for the most part. Kirby is usually in the air, and has multiple jumps. All you have to do is double jump if you ever see Jigglypuff in the position to perform a DACUS.

And as for getting WOP'd off stage, Jigglz can't even do that to Kirby with his multiple jumps. So there is no real set up to Fair.

Kirby can use Usmash OoS to punish a Jiggz that uses Dair on his shield.

You shouldn't even be getting hit by rollout. @_@
Kirby has like, 593670356 options to avoid that.

Her Dsmash doesn't kill. >________>;;

Jiggz will be able to rest you after you use Jab combo for a while, so yeah. Don't do that.

Kirby's air game > Jiggz'sz''zs' air game imo.
I'm pretty sure her Bair has less range then Kirby's, and her Fair is pretty punishable in an air fight against Kirby. You just have to work around it.
Pound has teh priority, but you can punish it easily.

He can kill her easy, and doesn't get killed easy.

Kirby has a big lead in the match up imo.

Gnes

Smash Master
I play a much different Wario than DMG does, lol. I mean, technically, if Kirby could camp Wario for 8 minutes as you seem to imply, that would give Kirby advantage, no? :p
Hehehe well awesome but to be honest I think the matchup is even. Im just so awesome I make every matchup in my favor with every character :laugh:.

Asdioh...is there such a snake in this day and age that doesnt know how to use tilts lol...Its like in the snake kindergarten handbook...A B C D E FORWARD TILT :laugh:

Kirby vs Jiggs Huh

Hammer is too good in this matchup....Bair has more range than all her aerials save maybe fair...I dont think any grab combos work particularly well on the jiggs not that it matter racking up damage on jiggs is all about attacking right after her attack strings end. Hmmm...i dont know too much about this matchup. Baton Pass anyone???

BTW i think its pretty much 60-40 kirby

PND

Smash Champion
60-40 Kirby sounds about right.

Most of our aerial clash, pound beats everything, hammer beats pound. In the air, it's mostly even or maybe slightly tipped Jiggs favour because of her higher speed and mobility.

But then there's the ground. Oh god, the ground. More specifically, the Fsmash from hell. Your tilts and smashes are miles better.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
60-40 Kirby sounds about right.

Most of our aerial clash, pound beats everything, hammer beats pound. In the air, it's mostly even or maybe slightly tipped Jiggs favour because of her higher speed and mobility.

But then there's the ground. Oh god, the ground. More specifically, the Fsmash from hell. Your tilts and smashes are miles better.
This.

That's why Kirby vs. Jiggs is so boring. It's pretty much one big game of rock/paper/scissors. At least we can kill earlier. I think. >.<

SheerMadness

Smash Master
lol im a troll for stating my opinions?

Just because you guys don't agree with my opinions doesn't mean I'm a troll lol. People on here have some seriously thin skin if they can't handle me having radically different matchup opinions than the majority.

Grow up people.

Kirby is 65-35 vs Samus because his moveset is like 12 times better than Samus?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Jiggly's uptilt on a stage with any low blastzones can make a matchup.
Pound will outprioritize anything you have, and Jiggly has the better fair/bair, so you're in for a rough fight in the air. Gimping Jiggs just won't happen, but you might be able to dair then gimp. Down smash is something a Jiggs player will never use. You need to watch out for fsmash, fair, bair, dair, rest, rollout, and her amazing DACUS.

Kirby's fsmash'll probably be your best killer, as usual. You're lucky she's so light, or else this would be a pretty bad matchup for Kirby. Jiggly and Kirby's ground game is almost identical, but Jiggly got the short end of the stick when it comes to smashes and tilts. Overall, it's more or less an even matchup. It might be a Kirby advantage, but I never saw it this way, to be honest. Just some helpful input plus my opinion.

50:50. I'll settle for 55:45, though.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
sasukebowser, how do you know so much about this matchup :O

Also, Fthrow->Fair works pretty well against Jigglypuff.

What stages should we take her too? I think Battlefield may be our best neutral, in this case. Especially since Upthrow will KO her at what... 110% or less off the top platform?

Veril

Frame Savant
Imo, Kirby shouldn't be getting killed by Jiggz's

You shouldn't even be getting hit by rollout. @_@

Her Dsmash doesn't kill. >________>;;
I dislike the jiggs : Kirby matchup. 60:40 IMO.

Both can KO the other relatively soon. Hammer and F-smash vs. rest and f-air.

Jigglypuff players will hit with f-air. If you think otherwise play people who don't suck as Jiggs. Wavelanding into grabs is our only real option on the ground vs. Kirby, but its a very good tactic in general.

We won't use d-smash, ever, unless you do something really stupid. Even then, it just won't happen. If it does, punish.

Kirby's f-smash is insanely good OMG I hate that move. That said if you space it incorrectly I (maybe a few other Jiggs) will rest you. If you're charging it you'll get KOed at insanely low % as per charge vulnerability.

OK, I know a lot about rest, so here's some things to keep in mind (though not everything :lick:):

-Poorly spaced f-smash can be rested, that means don't f-smash Jiggs at close range.
-An airdodged or powershielded hammer can be rested.
-Your up-b is very easy to rest, n00bs will get rested for abusing the down b as well.
-It is possible but insanely difficult to rest Kirby out of his neutral-b. It can happen though, be aware.
-Any powershielded smash can be rested.
-Your multihit attacks are tough to interrupt with rest. It is possible though, I wouldn't worry about it just yet... Actually do worry about it, be careful with dash attack and f-air.
-Any lag from aerials can be punished with rest.
-Your b-air is all but impossible to punish.
-weak n-air or f-air can lead into rest but generally its not considered a good idea vs. Kirby.
-if you steal rollout we can perfect rest it.
-drill rest is risky because of the OOS up-smash so you don't have to worry about that much.
-don't roll into the ****/rest, airdodge into the **** or spotdodge slide into the ****.

Summary: There are many ways to rest Kirby all of which are either technically demanding to the extent that only a handful of players can pull it off (out of the already tiny number of us) or require a mistake on your part. Avoid those mistakes. Oh, and don't use dash attack if you're at 70+%. A missed rest is always bad, I believe your most effective KO option is a fully charged up-smash.

Kirby is a jerk.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Kirby's f-smash is insanely good OMG I hate that move. That said if you space it incorrectly I (maybe a few other Jiggs) will rest you. If you're charging it you'll get KOed at insanely low % as per charge vulnerability.
Charge vulnerability? I've never heard of this (or I did and forgot) do characters take more damage while charging their smashes?
Snake is a jerk.
quoted for truth.
Thanks for the input, but...you can REST us out of a successful inhale?!?
That doesn't sound right to me either..

Maybe he means that Jigglypuffs are so incredibly used to Rollout that we'll roll right into Rest 100% of the time o_o

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Actually, with proper DI, Jiggs can rest characters out of moves with low stun, like Falco's jab...I think...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll say 60-40 Kirby for Jigglypuff. Though I lost to a Jigglypuff not too long ago on Wifi because I suck at Wifi Brawl for life and forever, but offline it's no big deal if you know how to deal with Jigglypuff's air game that is.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
lol im a troll for stating my opinions?

Just because you guys don't agree with my opinions doesn't mean I'm a troll lol. People on here have some seriously thin skin if they can't handle me having radically different matchup opinions than the majority.

Grow up people.

Kirby is 65-35 vs Samus because his moveset is like 12 times better than Samus?
Wow, that reason completely defies everything we've said so far about her.

And we say you're a troll because you disagree about every matchup we discuss, putting it somewhere majorly in kirby's favor.

What do you think about Kirby v Snake?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Wow, that reason completely defies everything we've said so far about her.

And we say you're a troll because you disagree about every matchup we discuss, putting it somewhere majorly in kirby's favor.

What do you think about Kirby v Snake?
It's 70-30....In Kirby's advantage.

Snake has grenades, but we have BAir!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's 70-30....In Kirby's advantage.

Snake has grenades, but we have BAir!
BAir? No wonder I've been losing all those matches ._.

60-40 Kirby's favor unless Jigglypuff uses the sun hat or whatever that one is. Then it's a little closer to even.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Kirby is most likely 40-60 against Snake.

And yah I'm going to have much different opinions when you guys are saying Kirby is even with some of the worst chars in the game like Samus and Ganon.

Bunny your attitude towards me is getting old. It's comical that you people act childish towards me just because you don't agree with my opinions. Seriously grow the **** up.

Veril

Frame Savant
we can rest you out of stuff, including copied rollout AND inhale.
fo reals!? :psycho:
Way... I know more about rest than... any other player really. Rest > anything without invincibility frames. I'm not going to spend 10 pages explaining the mechanics of this... if you're really bored or curious: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209708

Skip down to the character specific section to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Charge vulnerability? I've never heard of this (or I did and forgot) do characters take more damage while charging their smashes?
Hitting a character charging a smash or using a dacus will result in them taking ~20% more knockback. This has been known for a while, it just happens to be really important for Jiggs.

Maybe he means that Jigglypuffs are so incredibly used to Rollout that we'll roll right into Rest 100% of the time o_o
lol... its possible, but that wasn't what I meant.

Top Bottom