• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
There is no need to combo Zelda lol just fight her...

IMO it's very much in Kirby's favor if you just fight well. LOL. i don't know how to put it any other way... Zelda can't do much to Kirby's mobility..

|RK|

Smash Marketer
It is pretty realistic according to Gea. Gea apparently DI's out of D-Air 90% of the time without noticing. So it IS possible. And realistic. Especially when you REALLY expect it, like, after the first hit after a Swallow or something. Ask Gea, I didn't know this until he and Rockettrainer brought it up.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, you can also Dair the drill, and personally, I find Dair>FS more useful than Dsmash.

RK, even if we do DI out of it (which I can't claim to have ever managed), how does that suddenly make the matchup in Kirby's favor? The problem with Lucario isn't just his Dair or projectiles, it's with the fact that all his hitboxes seem to linger and all his moves seem to outprioritize ours.

Finally, Dthrow>Inhale is NOT guaranteed.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I want to know if we've learned anything about the Marth vs Kirby match up. I absolutely can not stand it and it's one of the reasons why I'm considering dropping Kirby as a main.

Gnes

Smash Master
Kirby vs. Lucario... 45:55 "us"

When you say us, is that Kirby or Lucario? Either way, I think it's 60:40 Lucario's favor.

How practical is it to SDI his Dair. It hits FAST so I don't see it being too realistic. I tried practicing SDI on ROB's downsmash once, and it was ridiculously hard, even when I expected it.

You can Dsmash MK as he does Side B huh? Sounds like Melee :D I'll give it a try.

My opponents seem to recover with Up B though >_>
The smash DI dair discussion is going on in the lucario boards...gea(who i play with a ton)does it alot...and also so do I. ROB's downsmash is one of the easier things to get out via smash DI just try a different method than u are doing Asdioh.

Also u may have a problem considering if ur waiting for the attack to hit u then DI its probably be harder to get out of it. Right when u get hit(u should pretty much know when ur about to get hit by)smash DI to the side. Seriously at a Texas tourney last saturday i made a very decent lucario stop using it in friendlies simply cause "U dont get hit by it" :)

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
i would say 40:60 Lucario is good. I was thinking 45:55 at first, but then i remembered about the doing more dmg with more % thing lucario benefits from and it makes more sense.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I meant because you can force Lucario to approach. He can approach easily, but you can force an approach, with Aura Sphere.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hm for some reason I would imagine that Lucario's aura and range and stuff would give kirby some problems. He controls space very well because of his range. If I played this matchup I would resort to aerial camping like Wario LOL

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Camp like a *** like Falcon vs Lucario
Fix'd.

It's not that bad, we gimp his recovery pretty hard and his light weight aids in us killing him early/getting that gimp. Hrm, doesn't bair beat his air game, thus allowing us to be like that gay guy Falcon and camp with it for days?

And I implore you if you get a stock lead keep it forever.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's not that bad, we gimp his recovery pretty hard and his light weight aids in us killing him early/getting that gimp. Hrm, doesn't bair beat his air game, thus allowing us to be like that gay guy Falcon and camp with it for days?
Nope, his Fair and Dair beat out all our aerials. It's part of why I hate this matchup.

In my experience, aerial camping (especially with his power), is our best bet.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
hey guys, i was wondering something; if in the near future, brawl+ becomes popluar and is used much more than regular brawl and most smashers accept it, will there be a character discussion if brawl+ pulls it off? i'm just asking, its not like its going to happen soon, but i was just wondering thats all.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, i was wondering something; if in the near future, brawl+ becomes popluar and is used much more than regular brawl and most smashers accept it, will there be a character discussion if brawl+ pulls it off? i'm just asking, its not like its going to happen soon, but i was just wondering thats all.
In any case, the people that play it could discuss it right now if they really wanted to. Why wait for something that's not going to happen.

Oooooooo... But, seriously, nothings holding you back. Make a Public group, do whatever you like. But, I highly doubt that a character discussion "Thread" would be successful.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
When I was SDIing ROB's downsmash, I was actually practicing it specifically with a friend at my last tournament. I would let myself get hit by downsmash over and over. It was extremely hard to get out of before it sent me flying because it's so fast. You just hit Up on the C-stick and Control Stick, right? Better if you do it repeatedly?

How about Lucario's Dair? Left or right on both sticks, repeatedly if possible?

:/

One of the few attacks I can SDI reliably is Pikachu's downsmash. I can also get out of Snake's Nair, if I'm thinking about it. They don't use it all that often though...

But like they say, you can't spell Asdioh without SDI.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Uthrows for lucario, and dthrows for zelda. Just up and grab em whenever you have the chance, and practice shielding their whole attacks. Zelda's usmash and fsmash are multi-hitbox attacks, so go into training and shield a perfectly aimed one of those, and count the times it hits your shield... Now you know how much you have to wait before attempting a grab, bair, utilt, or whatever else comes into mind... And for lucario, measure his fsmash range, and mindgame yourself into thinking that at high %s, he will mash fast aerials and smashes to kill you ASAP, and before you know it, you're shielding all his dairs and fsmashes.

They're tough, but they're not as tough as they're made out to be. Just keep the words "space" and "careful" alive in your mind, and the match should end up in your favor.

Gnes

Smash Master
When I was SDIing ROB's downsmash, I was actually practicing it specifically with a friend at my last tournament. I would let myself get hit by downsmash over and over. It was extremely hard to get out of before it sent me flying because it's so fast. You just hit Up on the C-stick and Control Stick, right? Better if you do it repeatedly?

How about Lucario's Dair? Left or right on both sticks, repeatedly if possible?

:/

One of the few attacks I can SDI reliably is Pikachu's downsmash. I can also get out of Snake's Nair, if I'm thinking about it. They don't use it all that often though...

But like they say, you can't spell Asdioh without SDI.
uh uh not repeatedly for Lucario's dair its only two hits if u miss the chance u just get hit. I would try to explain it but im not at home right now but when i do ill try it out and tell u exactly what I do.

Another instance of SDI for me. I was playing Dojo in winners finals at a recent tourney. He dash attacks me(mk of course)...instead of going up...i hit the ground a little behind Dojo. Basically i predicted his dash attack...realized i had no escape I frantically smashed down(maybe a little diagonal too...cant remember) on the C-stick and control stick the moment i got hit. It saved me a stock. :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What are we doing in this thread again?

I think we should redo Zelda...I found her tough to beat, but I don't think it's in her favor. She has megapowerz, but it's pretty easy to bait and punish her attacks, and gimp her and stuff.

And if you can't gimp her, just edgehog so she's forced to land on the stage, and punish her landing lag.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Quick question about Zelda: How are you supposed to DI her Usmash? I've done it a few times, but can't do it reliably.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Really? This is lucario we're talking about...right? They were saying all throughout the discussion that our bair beats their fair.
Yeah that's exactly what I remember.

And for me generally it seems to work. Hell, I remember someone stating that due to our superior air game WoP'ing him is pretty easy.

But maybe I'm wrong, either way, camp like a mother ****er.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, okay, I'm wrong, if well spaced, our Bair beats our Fair.

I retain the same opinion on the overall matchup though.

Also, I knew it was bound to happen eventually, but I finally ran into a good campy Marth in tourny. I truly don't see how Kirby can fight against a smart campy Marth (and it wasn't a great difference in skill, since I switched to Diddy on a very meh Diddy stage, having only played Diddy roughly a week, and nearly won. Kirby just couldn't get in.). He has options for everything we have.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Well if Maestro won't make a new Kirby match up thread then who will? There's still 31% contradictions on some character talk and some of the match up's need changing. I can't make a new match up thread because I'm starting to host a handful of tourney's soon and won't have time to review and update.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
As long as you know how to judge the augments than you can do it. I'll say you should make a new one when the new tier list come's out, which is around June or so.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I'll do my best on the matchup stuff...and that's what I was planning, to make it after the next tier list. quest...almost over!
There are no guarantees, A1 :laugh:. What MUs were there major problems with? aside from the olimars. I'm just going to assume that they were one of them considering their history...
We could always make a separate thread for each of these characters for the time being. After the new list is out, A1 can make the master thread and we can continue on like normal.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
So... is that a yes then? I'm willing to head one up until we start the new thread (or revive this one if Maestro Kirby is willing), but I need to know which character(s).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I suggest doing all the matchups that people were in disagreement with (MK, Marth, Zelda, Snake, Falco, Ganon, etc.).

Also:

Fromundamam, I suggest learning marth for a few weeks. I'm not sure about gay marths (lol, already implied), but it really helped me read them. See what works to punish them...dancing blade approaches can be countered with fc projectile if well timed...stuff...bleh.
But, that comes down to predicting and reading (not to mention with the difference in startup times, FC is definitely NOT an answer to DB), not character limitations.
On that same note, a GOOD marth can b unpredictable as well (that's what got me, once I found myself unable to properly read him, I got wrecked. As soon as I switched to a matchup that was closer to even (I think it's 60-40 Marth actually, but I don't remember), I nearly won.). All in all, I still think it's our worst matchup by far.

Top Bottom