• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEOH Thread - OP updated what?????

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Fr srs?
I still can't believe how warm it was in OU. I was kinda jealous...it's so cold here! But then I remembered I had off school so it was all okay.

Lol thanks xD I got boredddddd and it was snowinnggggg

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Bye! I'll be here....playing Oblivion, Splatterhouse, Metro 2033, FF13, and maybe some Dead Rising 2 till my eyes bleed....oh! and the rift beta :3
EDIT: Amazon just told me I could trade in my $80 LIMITED EDITION Alan Wake copy....'In GOOD Condition'....for a whopping $15 in the form of an Amazon Gift Card.
Wut.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Project M is so pointless. Why make Brawl more like Melee? Just. Play. Melee. Hacking the game and canceling the animation lag n cutting out half the animation just makes it blah. Or speeding it up in some cases. They are too different games, with two different engines. Melee should stay melee. Brawl should stay brawl. Trying to turn Brawl's engine n physics n characters into their old melee counter parts for some, or into melee terms for others, just....bleh. Don't me wrong, I'd love a melee wolf but....I dunno...It just...Project M's vids that I've seen have always looked a lil off....Prob because the animation and physics are all fugged to hell because of how much hacking it took :/

Revven

FrankerZ
Project M is so pointless. Why make Brawl more like Melee? Just. Play. Melee. Hacking the game and canceling the animation lag n cutting out half the animation just makes it blah. Or speeding it up in some cases. They are too different games, with two different engines. Melee should stay melee. Brawl should stay brawl. Trying to turn Brawl's engine n physics n characters into their old melee counter parts for some, or into melee terms for others, just....bleh. Don't me wrong, I'd love a melee wolf but....I dunno...It just...Project M's vids that I've seen have always looked a lil off....Prob because the animation and physics are all fugged to hell because of how much hacking it took :/
Wooooow um.... I guess you don't understand that people want to play with the new characters, stages, and many other things that Brawl brought but instead of inadequate physics with actual Melee physics. It's okay to say "I don't like this, I'm not gonna play it" but saying "Just play Melee" is a terrible argument and you know it. Anytime someone says that I just facepalm, because it clearly shows me that you have no idea what you're talking about.

There's plenty of old videos, there's also plenty of new ones. I don't know what videos you've been watching, but, since I actually have it it feels really damn close to Melee and videos don't do it complete justice at all. It's just like any actual video game out there, you have to play it to make an opinion on it.

It's not just some "hack job", it's been in development for a whole year already and it feels extremely polished, like... an actual game would. The physics engines are not completely different, in fact, Melee's physics port directly to Brawl's and give the exact same results as they do in Melee.

People don't realize that Brawl's and Melee's infrastructure really aren't all that different. About 80% of the values in Melee port directly to Brawl cleanly without really needing to do any math at all. The Brawl developers were not only extremely lazy but also not very clean in the work they did. I could go on about this but the simple fact of the matter is: it feels as close as it can to Melee right now and the only things holding it back are things that can either be adjusted to (landing detection) or things that do have a huge factor on the game (DI). While these things may not be fixed for the demo, they will hopefully be for the final release.

Call me biased but at least I've been playing it. We're not forcing the mod onto you, you can go ahead and not play it. But there are a ton of people who DO want to play it so please respect that in the future rather than saying "Just play Melee" which is an age old pitiful argument.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Wooooow um....
I share the same sentiment with Eon. Not as far as "Project M is pointless", but it does strike a nerve with me. Both games are good in their own right, and I love them both (well, I used to love Melee until the shiny new Wii game came along). Trying to change one to be like the other just doesn't sound right to me. I can't explain why I feel this way. I guess I have a lot of bias, and I'm tired of hearing how Melee people say their game is so much better and not "inadequate". A lot of Melee players appear to me as supremacists or egotistical jerks, but I know they aren't all that way of course.

But, anyway, Falco400 and shanus...where the heck did you come from? You have to be doing searches for Project M to be in this thread. You jumped into here out of nowhere and started getting all defensive. If you hate Brawl's mechanics so much to hack the game and change them, then why are you bothering to respond to someone who's hating those changes? It seems pretty weak and hypocritical to me. If your intent is trying to convert people to playing, this isn't the way to do it.

I swear, if you got me into a discussion like this, I'd be talking about it for hours. :laugh: But I think I've said more than enough on a topic such as this...the kind that can be argued to death without ever having any real meaning or impact. Just play the game the way you want and stop trying to tell me one way is better than the other (I know no one is trying to tell me specifically...I hope you get what I mean by that). :/

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Argent will I ever see you at a tourney when you aren't a zombie? lol You seem like you have good things to say but I only see you when I have to play against you doubles (lol I played you at Pool Pools and SiiS4) or after pools XD

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I wasn't a zombie at Pool Pools. I was wide awake that day. :glare:

By the way, I got distracted earlier and forgot to ask if anyone wanted to do something this weekend. I've got no one to hang out with...not even for the Super Bowl. :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ehhh... Think of Project M as Melee 2 if you will. It really is a new game with Melee physics from what I've seen. Whether or not I'll like it remains to be seen, but it's not 'trying to turn Brawl into melee' IMO, but more of 'This game was awesome and we want something more like a sequel for it'. (I don't include myself in the 'we' since I actually prefer Brawl over melee, but that's how I see it.)

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Yeah. I'm not saying it's bad. I know it's been in dev a long time, but a lot of bad games have been as well, and a lot of good games obviously.
Me and argent actually discussed this **** at his smashfest...I believe project M came up, but mostly it was just the pros n cons as we saw it of Melee v Brawl. For instance, at times for newbies the Hitstun, and even at high levels the hitstun of some character combos can be really annoying (falco...fox...*cough*) but on the other hand, Brawl has chain grabbing out the ***. There's a difference between making grabs an integral part of your plan and strategy, and using grabs 70% of the time compared to the other moves.
Again, different games, and using grabs that much doesn't always happen. But the fact that I don't think I've seen a DDD, Falco, or Ice climbers go without doing chain grabs at least once at high levels says something. There's also diddy, but that's more cause of the bananas setting it up than any real CG xD.
----
Shanus it looks a bit better, but the vids I saw were from 2 or 3 people I know in it. And they mostly showed folks like Falcon. Now, I know there's L-cancelling in melee, obviously, but I saw falcon. He did a uair close to the ground, half way through the animation, and iirc....all of a sudden, was standing up running towards a location. He still had more than half the bloody animation to go, and he was able to just run away. The difference between that and melee? You can only L-cancel at certain points, and certain timings, and it can't cut away half of the attack animation AND 100% of landing lag. THAT is why I said it looked choppy. When you can do that with Falcon, and tons of other characters, there's an issue. Yes, you have played it, and perhaps playing it feels different to seeing it (obviously), but even then....Like I said, and like Argent agrees....It just doesn't feel all that right to me :/.

EDIT: Argent, brah....I would've come over friday. I'm not sure if I can today cause friends are hopefully coming to hang out. If no one else wants to hang with ya, you could swing by my place for some brawl at the least I suppose :/.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL WELCOME PROJECT M AND WHAT IT REPRESENTS WITH OPEN ARMS.

People need to stop being so butthurt over nothing. You either like it or you don't, but at least try it. No need to go on long tangents about it.

/still a Melee head deep down inside <3

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Or you know, don't try it. Either way, don't ***** about it if you don't like it; simply don't play it.

The irony is, by *****ing about it, not only are you annoying the people who like it, you're also advertising it which in turn makes people who either don't care or are on the fence look into it, so you're kind of working against yourself, especially in this case, where the game devs came in and showed it's merits as a result.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I said they definitely do have more first hand experience by actually trying it. I said I could be wrong. But it's my opinion and I apologize for being under the assumption that a forum, which was originally created to discuss ideas and opinions, apparently isn't allowed to be used to do just that nowadays.
I don't think I out right *****ed without offering an opinion. I said it did look good now compared to the old vids. I DID say I don't have first hand experience, so I could be wrong. I might be, I might not.
I'm not butthurt. I'm not raging 'AAAAAAAAH IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE RAAAAGE SOOO BAAAAAD'. Hell no. Projects like this can often lead people from being part time folks with an interest in hacking/programming/development to get a full time job when some companies see the stuff. Look at L4D. It was originally a mod by a company not employed by Valve.
Same with tons of games, over years and years. Community driven ideas breath fresh life into games, and they offer more versatility. They can also give some people a huge chance to get into it as their official career if they get noticed. I was just offering MY opinion that, prior to this 'new' vid I was shown, and even sort of now, It just never seems or looks or feels 'right' so to speak. Maybe it's the whole 'melee mechanics in a brawl visual' type deal or something, or maybe it's just a resistance to change. I'm NOT the only one with this feeling though, as Argent said, so don't hop down my throat.

I will say it here and now. If I'm ever allowed to try it prior to release, or whenever It does come out and I try it, if I like it, I will definitely admit I was wrong. Maybe it'll feel better via playing than what I feel and think from looking and hearing about it. *shrug* Only time will tell.

EDIT: By feels right, I don't mean gameplay mechanics wise. I meant more just a sort of 'gut feeling'...Dont wanna call it that, but it's the only term I can think of...

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I wasn't a zombie at Pool Pools. I was wide awake that day. :glare:

By the way, I got distracted earlier and forgot to ask if anyone wanted to do something this weekend. I've got no one to hang out with...not even for the Super Bowl. :(
lol you're right. And then you got a legit placement. Be awake more :D

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I said they definitely do have more first hand experience by actually trying it. I said I could be wrong. But it's my opinion and I apologize for being under the assumption that a forum, which was originally created to discuss ideas and opinions, apparently isn't allowed to be used to do just that nowadays.
I don't think I out right *****ed without offering an opinion. I said it did look good now compared to the old vids. I DID say I don't have first hand experience, so I could be wrong. I might be, I might not.
I'm not butthurt. I'm not raging 'AAAAAAAAH IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE RAAAAGE SOOO BAAAAAD'. Hell no. Projects like this can often lead people from being part time folks with an interest in hacking/programming/development to get a full time job when some companies see the stuff. Look at L4D. It was originally a mod by a company not employed by Valve.
Same with tons of games, over years and years. Community driven ideas breath fresh life into games, and they offer more versatility. They can also give some people a huge chance to get into it as their official career if they get noticed. I was just offering MY opinion that, prior to this 'new' vid I was shown, and even sort of now, It just never seems or looks or feels 'right' so to speak. Maybe it's the whole 'melee mechanics in a brawl visual' type deal or something, or maybe it's just a resistance to change. I'm NOT the only one with this feeling though, as Argent said, so don't hop down my throat.

I will say it here and now. If I'm ever allowed to try it prior to release, or whenever It does come out and I try it, if I like it, I will definitely admit I was wrong. Maybe it'll feel better via playing than what I feel and think from looking and hearing about it. *shrug* Only time will tell.

EDIT: By feels right, I don't mean gameplay mechanics wise. I meant more just a sort of 'gut feeling'...Dont wanna call it that, but it's the only term I can think of...
Legit.

You should summarize your posts though, or at least break them down into smaller paragraphs to make them more visually appealing and easier to read.

clowsui

Smash Legend
^ what this guy said

also project m is pretty good...not to say that appeal to authority is everything but mango/lain/lucky/darkrain/hungrybox/shiz/lee martin/fly amanita/connor/amsah/armada have all tried project M at some point and offered input because they saw the incredible potential in the game and the sheer volume of work that the creators were putting into it

i've played project M personally, it's jarring for the first 10 minutes then you learn. the reason why it looks weird is because of landing detection. L cancels are done later than before cause landing detection in brawl is done at the knees and not at the legs. furthermore brawl characters get out of tumble way quicker so you don't see their tumble animations for very long whereas in melee their tumble is way longer so it just looks unnatural.

landing detection is frustrating though, i can't waveland horizontally consistently

Revven

FrankerZ
Er, I think you meant Melee's landing detection is at the knees and not the feet causing you to land sooner in Brawl than you do in Melee.

Also, I wasn't trying to "convert" anyone, I was merely making a correction that a lot of people have a misconception about and thus make the game itself look bad even though they haven't played it before.

The demo comes out on Monday, try it yourself. People just need to look at the game and realize it's not trying to offend anyone.

Bead

Smash Ace
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

People are entitled to their own opinions.

Excited to check out Pro M. It's always fun to check out Brawl mods like +/minus/balance. Fun to check out but not to legit play, due to un-polished. Pro M sounds like it's actually gonna be watched over and finely tuned. You know those things called "Patches" that every other game on the market has (excluding Wii titles)

*edit: I watched some videos and I just have to say that I love Snake's new utilt. Upper cut that doesnt reach 8 feet in front of him =)

clowsui

Smash Legend
Er, I think you meant Melee's landing detection is at the knees and not the feet causing you to land sooner in Brawl than you do in Melee.

Also, I wasn't trying to "convert" anyone, I was merely making a correction that a lot of people have a misconception about and thus make the game itself look bad even though they haven't played it before.

The demo comes out on Monday, try it yourself. People just need to look at the game and realize it's not trying to offend anyone.
derp, that's what i meant with the landing detection xDDD

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
You need to make it out somewhere so we can play, Falco400. :#

Gonna be Ganon stompin all day ery day. And probably learning Falco or something.

Revven

FrankerZ
You need to make it out somewhere so we can play, Falco400. :#

Gonna be Ganon stompin all day ery day. And probably learning Falco or something.
I've generally lost interest in going to any Brawl tournaments a long time ago. Plus with college on my back recently I've become pretty busy and more focused on that than anything else. And, I have no ride to anywhere anymore either because SFG is all the way at Kent now (and yes I still do not have my driver's license, sue me XP).

If there was something closer by, sure. Anything outside of my area? Not gonna happen for awhile unless I magically have more time. Hence why anything smash related I do is mostly related to Project M because I actually have a decent amount of time for it (which doesn't include playing it LOL).

D

Deleted member

I really don't have the desire to play Project M at all, but if it's happening at a future smashfest or something, I'll try it out.

I'm more curious about Wolf than anything.

Top Bottom