• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IYM!

Smash Lord
even if it is just to conceal the limitations of the wii...so? wind waker looks less dated than TP does, considering the consoles inability to look exactly lifelike isn't a bad thing. and limitations can drive art, do you know how different game music would be if early systems weren't restricted by using generated monophonic sounds?

we're probably too philosophically different to see eye to eye on this anyway, I don't see simplicity as being a bad thing. okami, a damn PS2 game, looks better than most PS3 games IMO, it's all in the artwork at this point
i am agree with this, Okami have a unique art style, that makes a big diferent concept of how we apreciate the games.

I like see games like that, far away of the reality and take us to another worlds, after all, that is the magic of the video games.

but i dont feel the same here with SS :urg: i look SS as a TP game with less detailed textures.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
it could just be a tech demo like the spaceworld 2000 thing

honestly I hope it is, HD realism is nice but skyward sword already looks better than that, I really think nintendo should stick with the painting inspired approach, it gives you much more artistic freedom
You're kidding...right?

You still need to put alot of time and effort it to a more life-like art style to make it believable as well. I never loved the toon style. Zelda was always serious and semi dark.
Even in the old games that was so. It was never bright and colorful in the same way that it was in oh say Mario. It was closer to Metroid.

I thought that the tech demo was amazing. Leave the cartoony, silly renditions of Zelda for the Wind Waker styled Zelda games. I'm not hating on Skyward Sword, it's a great art style given the limitations of the console. It allows the game to be more plain and less detailed and still look good at the same time.

If they made re-made Majora's Mask like that tech demo...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You're kidding...right?

You still need to put alot of time and effort it to a more life-like art style to make it believable as well. I never loved the toon style. Zelda was always serious and semi dark.
Even in the old games that was so. It was never bright and colorful in the same way that it was in oh say Mario. It was closer to Metroid.

I thought that the tech demo was amazing. Leave the cartoony, silly renditions of Zelda for the Wind Waker styled Zelda games. I'm not hating on Skyward Sword, it's a great art style given the limitations of the console. It allows the game to be more plain and less detailed and still look good at the same time.

If they made re-made Majora's Mask like that tech demo...

DARK AND GRITTY

etecoon

Smash Hero
my thoughts exactly

zelda was never dark and gritty like super metroid or metroid prime, and aside from WW/PH/ST it was never hyper bright and cheerful like mario either. zelda tends to find a good balance most of the time

majora's mask would also be amazing redone in a SS style. it's already closer to that than something like TP, I'd even say I see a lot of MM's artistic sensibilities in SS that were largely absent in WW and TP, you have to look past ONLY seeing brightness and darkness, there's a lot of other elements to dissect as well. you could take skyward sword's engine and make a darker game out of it rather easily, remember that MM came from OoT in the same fashion

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think MM would work wonders in this style. The style of story and aesthetic of Termina would lend itself really well. I have no clue why people would want a realistic version of MM like with the Zelda WiiU graphics. MM is completely absurd and fantastical (even more than any other Zelda), and the artstyle could reflect that. I feel if MM was made on Gamecube or later, they would not have used the same graphical style as OoT, and they just did so out of convenience.

As for SS, I love it. It looks way better than it did when it debuted last year and I think this style is a hundred times better than both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

As for the WiiU demo...eh. I am not dying to play a Zelda game that looks like TP again. Sure, it's technically impressive but it's also...really boring.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
To be honest, I've never seen a Zelda game with those type of graphics and I for one would love a Zelda game like that. I guess you could say TP is basically just that but I don't think it is. I can't quite explain it but TP has this style that isn't a literal definition of realistic.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Anyway, super realistic Zelda has my vote (:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That WiiU video is basically Twilight Princess on steroids. It's not exactly realistic, but it's just a very plain and boring art direction imo. In that video for example, if Link wasn't present I would very easily mistake the game for one of the many God of War clones or something like Darksiders.

I'm not totally opposed to realism, as in, realistic character animations, shading/lighting, textures, etc. but these games are still FANTASY games. Let's get some fresh and vivacious art direction. High processing power doesn't have to lead to video games trying to replicate real life. It can create a whole other world through the art design!

Twilight Princess was often depressing to look at and immerse yourself in, not because it was "realistic" but rather because it was so pallid and lifeless. Even the non Twilight parts. Imagine if they decided to further explore Skyward's art style into the actual Zelda game that will come out on WiiU? With such a hardware leap, they could REALLY make the game look like a living painting.

Why is there no interest in these possibilities? What is with the obsession with mimicking real life?

etecoon

Smash Hero
MM is completely absurd and fantastical (even more than any other Zelda), and the artstyle could reflect that. I feel if MM was made on Gamecube or later, they would not have used the same graphical style as OoT, and they just did so out of convenience.
seriously

I don't see how people don't recognize this, MM is like the bad dream or psychedelic trip of the series. look at the color choices used in that game! it was never meant to be realistic. yes darker and grittier than OoT, but you can do something like SS that is also darker than SS too...

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Ah hAH Ah hAH funny I'm not looking for different pictures to compare it to. I didn't say it was just like metroid but was an inbetween. When Link's in the dark trying to get to the castle and it's storming and raining, the Thief's Den dungeon and really the majority dark world, which was a bigger portion of that game anyway, etc.

Because I can't see myself in a painting. We haven't had a truely immersive Zelda experience since the 64 days. I want to look around and see myself there. WW was a living breathing cartoon. Which was cool and with the different styling allowed for the most expressive characters we've seen which even helped in the game as Link's eyes would look at important things or look ahead at what's next and such.

Twilight Princess was a try at a darker story, and really as far as art style it wasn't that dark aside from the Twilight Portions. And that game wasn't realistic either. I don't remember people's legs being the same length or shorter than their arms lmao. Something that it had in common with WW's style.

It was more realistic than WW..but fell short because the direction it was going for neither console it was on had enough power to fully deliver on it. Many of the textures were plain or not very good and the world, though it was vast was in comparison to it's size, empty.

If they made a living painting style Zelda, that would be amazing as well, but SS isn't that. It's a cross between the TP and WW styles. This art direction is the only direction a weaker powered console can go. It looks much better than TP while being even plainer at the same time. Textures don't need the same kind of detailing because it fits in with the style.

Beauty can be multiple different things. It's not just one end all be all. And the whole god of war clone crap... the second you saw anything Zelda-like in there you would know lol. God of War is a fantasy game is it not? And what's wrong with artisticly looking even remotely similar to that? They're in the
same time period or close to it with similar ideas really. Except some things in GoW are real and nothing in Zelda is truely real.
What about Final Fantasy XIII? That's a fantasy game as well. That game looks boring too? Or how about SFIV? Surely a game with green, lightning powered, jungle men, and bosses with yin yang signs for a stomach counts as fantasy. Is that game's style boring?

What's really boring about having eye candy everywhere to explore and see? The real problem with TP was it wasn't on powerful enough hardware, and there wasn't enough incentive to do that extra looking around and admiring. Money was too easy to come by and not hard enough to get rid of.

I guess I'm not tired of the whole "graphical awesome" because the Wii is my only console this gen so if I want a game that's higher deffinition bad enough, I either have to play it on PC if it's for this, or play it at a friend's.

EDIT: MM is supposed to be scary, crazy and dark and I don't mean make it "uncharted" realistic because then it's not Zelda nor dark, just realistic and gritty. There's a way to do it that makes it real without taking away the fantasticality of it. I think I just made a new word. I'm waiting for the day Zelda's graphically on par with FFVII: Advent Childeren I'd be happy at that level and if it never got any more real than that, I would be perfectly fine with that. But if I ever see Paper Zelda, someone is going to die.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeesh, that is quite a rant. I'm not really sure what your point is, or what you are even trying to say some of the time.

"Twilight Princess was a try at a darker story, and really as far as art style it wasn't that dark aside from the Twilight Portions. And that game wasn't realistic either. I don't remember people's legs being the same length or shorter than their arms lmao. Something that it had in common with WW's style."

I said this exactly.

"Beauty can be multiple different things. It's not just one end all be all. And the whole god of war clone crap... the second you saw anything Zelda-like in there you would know lol. God of War is a fantasy game is it not? And what's wrong with artisticly looking even remotely similar to that? They're in the
same time period or close to it with similar ideas really. Except some things in GoW are real and nothing in Zelda is truely real.
What about Final Fantasy XIII? That's a fantasy game as well. That game looks boring too? Or how about SFIV? Surely a game with green, lightning powered, jungle men, and bosses with yin yang signs for a stomach counts as fantasy. Is that game's style boring?"

1. I said this. I said that if Link/Navi wasn't present in that WiiU demonstration, it wouldn't stand out as a Zelda title at all.

2. You are totally misunderstanding my point. I said TP is boring looking, BECAUSE it creates such a dull and colorless world, not because it's a fantasy game. Final Fantasy XIII doesn't look boring because it is a richly designed world full of color and vibrancy. I'm not sure why you're bringing up Street Fighter. Again, I said that since Zelda is a fantasy title it should use some imagination in creating the art design and world. I personally didn't find anything unique or even anything that stood out in Twilight Princess minus a few small areas.

"What's really boring about having eye candy everywhere to explore and see? ."

Nothing wrong with that. TP didn't have eye candy though. Its Hyrule was the least remarkable Hyrule in the entire series. I don't get excited about high res dirt textures. I want something I've never seen before.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Well then I guess we're saying the same thing in different ways. And if you don't know what I'm trying to say..read it =\

1. There are alot of games similar to Zelda in design, setting or art direction. Even just by their nature. It's the Zelda specific things that make it stand out as being Zelda. (the characters, monsters, items etc)

2. But the way you said it made it sound as anything with realistic graphics would be boring as a fantasy game. I brought up those games because they are fantasy games in their own right that too have more realistic art styles. Because you made it sound like the style in and of itself was dull and boringnot that it was poorly implemented.

And lastly I know TP didn't, if you read what I wrote and not just skimmed through, that is what I said. lol high resdirt textures. I want a world that's alive and TP's was empty. Essentially I want TP like it should have been.

I want the something they've been trying to do done right before I see something different myself. And I personally just don't like the toon style I guess. But it's Zelda so I'll get it no matter what it ends up being.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
2. But the way you said it made it sound as anything with realistic graphics would be boring as a fantasy game. I brought up those games because they are fantasy games in their own right that too have more realistic art styles. Because you made it sound like the style in and of itself was dull and boringnot that it was poorly implemented.
That's incorrect. Look at what I really said

"I'm not totally opposed to realism, as in, realistic character animations, shading/lighting, textures, etc. but these games are still FANTASY games. Let's get some fresh and vivacious art direction. High processing power doesn't have to lead to video games trying to replicate real life. It can create a whole other world through the art design!

Twilight Princess was often depressing to look at and immerse yourself in, not because it was "realistic" but rather because it was so pallid and lifeless."

so, uh, yeah. that's exactly what i said the first time :)

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Question, my computer can not connect to ZU am I the only one having this problem or are other people having this problem?

Tacel

Smash Lord
Just in case you want a new desktop wallpaper:
[collapse=Ocarina of Time 3DS]
[/collapse]

etecoon

Smash Hero
Because I can't see myself in a painting. We haven't had a truely immersive Zelda experience since the 64 days. I want to look around and see myself there.

I think I am the same as you, sir.
A forest fairy!

Alas, though I am already age 35,
no fairy has come to me yet...

My father tells me to grow up
and act my age, but why?

I tell you...Tingle is the very
reincarnation of a fairy!

If they made a living painting style Zelda, that would be amazing as well, but SS isn't that. It's a cross between the TP and WW styles. This art direction is the only direction a weaker powered console can go.
I don't see why people are saying SS looks the way it does because the wii is underpowered

the PS2 already had a game that was much closer to a living painting than this

the in game graphics being different than the concept art is clearly a conscious choice on nintendo's part and not a result of console limitations

What's really boring about having eye candy everywhere to explore and see? The real problem with TP was it wasn't on powerful enough hardware, and there wasn't enough incentive to do that extra looking around and admiring. Money was too easy to come by and not hard enough to get rid of.
what LT said

you can increase the resolution all you want but

dirt is still dirt, TP was boring by design, no amount of hardware superiority was going to make it look amazing

was anyone watching e3(EA's conference) when they demo'd BF3? it's ultra realistic but they literally just showed a tank driving through the desert for 5 minutes before anything happened, made the game look boring as ****

[/collapse]
saved for later user : ) currently using

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
[/collapse]
Not realistic enough. Sheesh. Didn't you learn anything from this conversation? Imaginary worlds need to look and act exactly like the real world in order to be any good at all. I'm sorry, but this cartoon junk just doesn't cut it.

In all seriousness, that's just too cool. It looks so alive and colorful, like it's just bursting at the seams.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Say, for example, that the most skilled milk producer on Earth were to release an intensely flavorful milk that's the absolute highest quality milk ever created, conceptually similar to "Chateau Romani", that tastes like the best dairy beverage you can ever think of. How much would you pay for 4 gallons?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I'm on the fifth dungeon in oracle of ages. This is the probably the hardest dungeon in any Handheld zelda game I have played. :( I keep ending up dying because I've only got four hearts or so by the time I enter a few rooms past the miniboss. I probably just suck. :/

:phone:

etecoon

Smash Hero
if we're talking newer zelda(WW/TP), those are pretty bad words to live by. it's literally impossible to die

break pots, get rupees.

etecoon

Smash Hero
you need a few thousand rupees for tingle in WW, and in TP you can use them with the magic armor

it's kinda sad that the main use for the magic armor was to drain rupees so that you could get more without putting them back in the chest...

etecoon

Smash Hero
so basically

link breaks peoples ****

for NO reason

trespassing, vandalism, theft, destruction of property, animal abuse, grave robbing, kidnapping(allegedly), resisting arrest, carrying concealed weapons(where the **** does he PUT that stuff?)

we all know what game really inspired GTA

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I just realized a big reason why I don't like TP that much.

When it was first announced, I was looking forward to seeing the whole world bathed in twilight, especially in the huge Hyrule field, but what are you dolng most of the time in all that scenery? Looking for a scent. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom