• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
That game has my favourite ever intro- I could watch that Press Start screen with Link riding Epona around Hyrule for hours..

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It does have a cool intro. It's one of the few games that actually has a unique sequence for the opening background, rather than just a compilation of random scenes from the game.

Cecilia K.

Smash Apprentice
I never got past the Forest Temple because I was too scared of the Wall Masters. =[

This game was scary when I was little.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You should start playing it again then. It's without a doubt one of the greatest games of all time.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
has anyone else tried to do the Masterquest version? I'm playing through it right now, and its really something. Most of the dungeons aren't any more dangerous (in some cases it is safer) but the puzzles... Those puzzles will mess with your brain like no other, if you thought the ordinary water temple was hard, try the masterquest water temple...

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
This game realy is amazing. Probably one of the, if not "THE" best game ever. I just wish Miyamoto would create another Zelda game like this. Windwaker and Twilight Princess just did not touch Ocarina of Time.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
TP got close, though.

And Masterquest is HARD. I can't even get past Jabu Jabu's Belly...

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
I liked the trading sequence. You know, the one that starts with the egg and ends with the Biggoron's sword? Man, imagine if Ike had that sword...

Yaya

Smash Champion
I despise the Water Temple.

That Music has melted into my head as well.

That is my only complaint about this game.

That blasted Water Temple.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I actually loved the water temple. I actually thought the Forest Temple was a bit harder. Why does everybody hate on the Water Temple?! Because they're waterphobic or something?!

Yaya

Smash Champion
It ended my run on OoT, I'm not able to get past it.

I hate the music in it too.

I loved the Forest Temple and the Fire Temple.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Did anyone else here find all the gold skulltulas and heart pieces without a guide?.........took me a long time.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

Pikaville, my good sir, you have no life D= (just kidding)

That's pretty cool that you were able to do that. I got a lot of them without a guide, but I did use the guide for some.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The Fire, Spirit, and Shadow Temples, as well as Ganon's Castle all felt a bit too easy to me.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
I never got past the Forest Temple because I was too scared of the Wall Masters. =[
I didn't play that temple for 3 months after that darn hand got me for the first time:ohwell:
My sister will happily watch horror films but she's still scared to death of the re-deads, 17 and still has to to leave the room until I've killed them. odd that.

The boss was the only part of the water temple I didn't like, after such a long time working through the temple such an easy boss was a bit of an anti-climax..
Volvagia was good fun tho, how many other games let you fight a dragon with a big hammer?:bee:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Volvagia was sweet. Argorok from Twilight Princess is better though.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Volvagia was cool. And I actually haven't beaten TP. I can't figure out how you get the Snow clothes for Link so you can go to Snowpeak (ZOMG help would be appreciated).

However, I liked Bongo Bongo? I think that was his name. The giant boss that you could only see using the Spirit Lens. That was a cool (but pretty easy) boss.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Oh you have to use the rod to catch a red fish in that pond beside the place you enter the mountain, as far as I remember ( it was over a year ago I did it..). Something appears and runs off up the mountain with the fish, and then you use Wolf Link to follow the smell of the fish. Enjoy the rest of the game.:bee:

I didn't like TP overall but the final battle is definitely my favourite boss battle from any Zelda game. I won't say anything now for fear of spoiling the surprise, but yeah.. savage battle!

I wouldn't object to the series featuring lots more dragon bosses like Volvagia and Argorok.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I like Twilight Princess, but it doesn't even touch Ocarina of Time.

And you know what would be cool? If for like 100 bucks, nintendo released a giant volume of every LoZ game ever made with updated graphics for there next console. That would be awesome (but very, very hard).

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
There was a disk on the Gamecube with Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2- the Adventure of Link, Ocarina and Majoras which was pretty good, would love a compilation of all the gameboy games tho. (Or does such a compilation already exist?)

I wouldn't even mind if there weren't updated graphics, I still prefer the visual style of Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.. i'm quite worried that in the future the series will start adopting the Final Fantasy style of graphics, I know its nice to have games looking realistic like that, but I personally love the semi-cartoony style of the N64 era.
Plus,the less time and disk space the programmers use to improve the graphics, the more time and disk space they'll have to add to the dungeons, sidequests, and overall content of the game.

there's a wonderful charm to OoT and MM, and to a lesser extent WW, but I felt that charm was lost totally in TP..

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I didn't. Zelda has always been a serious Franchise, and while Wind Waker was a nice take from that, I prefer the more realistic direction of TP.

But, the next console will be... awesome?! Who knows. But its for sure that they could update the graphics and add in more of everything.

pikamon

Smash Ace
Didn't nintendo say a while back that Twilight Princess would be the last kind of Zelda game like that? I thought I heard something about them moving in a new direction because it wasn't fresh anymore, but I could be wrong.

I've always enjoyed the Zelda series, like most people. It was probably my favorite franchise until I discovered Final Fantasy. I loved Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past the most. Twilight Princess didn't really meet my expectations (story-wise), but it was still a fun game. I just wish they would release more games a bit more often. It sucks when you have to wait three or four years for a new game, but I guess it takes time to create something good.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
They've had a Zelda game in development for the Wii for ages now, since before the release of Twilight Princess I believe. I wonder if they'd be brave enough to really take the games in a new direction though, seeing as the current formula has been so successful for them. I'd love to see them add to the current formula rather than totally overhaul it, but change is to be encouraged if they can give us a really new and original game. Just as long as they keep fishing in it.:bee:
I'm sure they'd give such a massive series due love, attention and thought if they were to change it, though.

Sorry for being so anti-Twilight Princess by the way, just I've never met anyone who shared my view that its not very good so I was fishing for a like-minded soul here. Guess I'm still on my own..:(

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I'm somewhat torn about posting in here. I mean, to me OoT will always be one of the best games of all time, but it's quite old, and there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. A lot. So, the Mods will probably close this soon. On the other hand, the Zelda Timeline Debate Thread, which housed all manner of Zelda-related discussion for several years, died awhile back, so it might not be a bad idea to adapt this topic to general Zelda discussion (assuming the previous threads have been completely removed by now). Hmmm, something for the creator of the thread to consider.

Anyhow, I'd like to weigh in on a few things. First of all, the realism vs. toon debate. It's a very old debate, but it's one that can actually be discussed rationally now, because there are no impending entries into the Zelda series to which fanboys are already dying to pledge their undying loyalty. Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle. Which is why I like OoT and Twilight Princess a lot more than Wind Waker (graphically). Because they're NOT realistic.
Anyone who believes they are should take a nice long look at some of the character models. Many of them have elongated faces, over-sized eyes, dispurportionate (sp?) bodies, ect. Now, granted, there are very few twilight imps I've met in my day, but I wouldn't expect them to have gigantic, unweildy heads like Midna does. Likewise, I don't know many wolves that look like Link did. Essentially what I'm saying is that the Zelda series has always had its base (arguably like many of the best games) in the grey area between cartoon and reality, and it combines elements of both to create something new. To make the characters photo-realistic (suchas Final Fantasy) or pure cartoon (suchas Wind Waker) eliminates part of what made the game what it was. In my personal opinion, the Cell-shading graphics of Wind Waker would have been far more suited to the Mario series, which leans far more towards the exagerated.

Also, to bring back an older subject, I too was first put off by the Water Temple. For almost a year, as I recall. I was just beginning to get back into video games again after a long absence, and at the time finishing OoT wasn't a huge priority. I got seriously stuck in the Water Temple, primarily because of having to constantly change the water level and re-explore the same areas, and I just got tired of it and turned it off. Then, about a year later, I realized I'd never beaten it (even though I'd seen it beaten several times, so I knew the story), and kept on through it like nothing had happened. Never got stuck in any of the other dungeons, never had trouble with it since.

Personally, I think the Achiles' heal of the Water Temple (
and the Water Temple in TP
) is the fact that you have to re-explore the same areas several times at different water levels. Personally, I prefer giant sprawling temples that are difficult, but you only have to go through once. I just got sick of the back-tracking.

I had more to say, but having to take a break in the middle to eat dinner tends to fog the brain a bit, so maybe later. In any case, that's my two rupees.

On a side note, Eriatarka, you might want to use spoiler tags for tips on Twilight Princess. It's been out long enough that you're probably safe, but you never know.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm one of those weird people who liked TP more than OoT. TP seemed so much more epic. I also enjoyed TP's music better (though Gerudo Valley's music was insanely good).

In OoT, the temples were much harder, especially that water temple. I got past it in a bout 3 hours my first time, but it may have just been luck in my path choosing.

But, as lame as it may sound, graphics are very important to me (hence Wii isn't the only current-gen system I own) and that made TP all the much better. My only TP complaint is that Zant turned out to be lame (when you first met him you are like "wow this dude is BA" and then you see him without his mask >_> ).

Yeah.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Agreed on that Meleeruler.

I thought Zant was so awesome.

I was very disappointed when his face was revealed.

You thought it was gonna be cool after you saw just the chin and mouth.

Not to mention his voice.

Zant seems the offspring of a prostitute Oocca.

S2

Smash Lord
I'm not going to pass judgement on TP until the second time through.

I find that if you replay these games a couple years after the initial playthrough, it gives you a better sense of how it compares (because the hype and "newness" around the game are gone).

I'm still pegging OOT as my favorite, but TP was really good. TP was hurt by its hype in my opinion. People expected more from it than is really possible.

The rAt

Smash Ace
I'm still pegging OOT as my favorite, but TP was really good. TP was hurt by its hype in my opinion. People expected more from it than is really possible.
Most definitely. Hype only works in your advantage in the short run. If you announce a game and delay it for MORE THAN A YEAR your going to create unrealistic expectations. And that's if you can even maintain the hype that long. Which Nintendo didn't do the best job of.

Makes me think tht was part of why OoT did so well; less hype. Also, the audience was smaller and (more importantly) less informed back then, something that also could have worked to its advantage (as well as other games of the era, suchas Mario 64). That's not to cut it, or other games of that era down. I just mean that the gaming audience is much different now, and it isn't all that uncommon for fans to actively follow the progress of a game over the course of its development (which, with Nintendo, is almost always longer than they initially tell us), all the while comparing it to games which came before it, and modern games can easily suffer from that. With more (or, in some ways, less) sophisticated tastes, the bar goes up.

In that way, I think Nintendo would actually be very smart to give some of its big name franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) a break, and start developing new franchises which do not have so much history attached to them. Then, coming back to them sometime later, they might be able to breath new life into them instead of just adding yet another addition to the series'.

Of course, I digress away from the topic at hand, but I think it's somewhat relevant to the topic of why OoT worked so well. If nothing else, maybe for perspective.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
OoT did have much more too do. The trading game, the Golden Skulltulas. Those were great.

And Nintendo... I want to see them make a more... adult-oriented franchise now. It sounds strange, but that would be a change that might do them good.

S2

Smash Lord
OoT did have much more too do. The trading game, the Golden Skulltulas. Those were great.

And Nintendo... I want to see them make a more... adult-oriented franchise now. It sounds strange, but that would be a change that might do them good.
Actually that was my biggest gripe with TP... the world was huge but there weren't a lot of things to do in it. There was only a few sidequests and the rewards were stupid (mostly rupees).

TP's core game was excellent.

As for Nintendo... yeah, I'm always for new franchises. But for things like Zelda, they really should not even announce a game unless we're getting it within a year. Nintendo games get so hyped anyways just because of what they are. Nintendo shouldnt' keep the hype train going more than year or so... otherwise there is major backlash.

TP was Nintendo making a Zelda game more like OOT (due to fan demand). The expectations of it were slated due to its history (OOT fandom, the original E3 Zelda GC preview, WW being cel-shaded, and the TP being touted as OOT2 basically).

I think the next Zelda game will get more slack from fans, since essentially sticking as close to OOT as possible didn't make the game everyone thought it would make.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I liked OOT, but my favorite from the 3d series is Majora's mask. Why? Because compared to TP and Wind Waker, Majora's mask was the most innovative. It had a much more nonlinear structure, and also benefited from having a plot that wasn't a rehash of OOT.

The rAt

Smash Ace
I liked OOT, but my favorite from the 3d series is Majora's mask. Why? Because compared to TP and Wind Waker, Majora's mask was the most innovative. It had a much more nonlinear structure, and also benefited from having a plot that wasn't a rehash of OOT.
Yes, Majora's was a very good game. Actually, the first Zelda game I actually owned myself. I think what kept it from being better for me were three major factors.
The first how short it was. Sure, there was an insane ammount of side-quests, but for me, that couldn't quite make up for having only 4 dungeons.
The second was the repetition. I don't just don't like doing the same things over and over again. With the side-quests (specifically the wedding masks), it wasn't quite so bad, because you could vary things a little bit and get new results, and I didn't even mind fighting the same four bosses over and over again. But where it really got me was the fairies. I would spend forever running through the same temple looking for them only to run out of time with only one left. And you really had to search every little corner (which was particularly bad in the last temple, in my opinion). Sure, I could have gone to Gamefaqs and gotten a walkthrough, but A) I don't like doing that, because it feels to me like I didn't really beat it myself, and B) their guides are usually room-by-room, so you have to retrace their steps exactly to follow them.
But really the biggest thing for me was the story. Overall, it was a very good story, but a few things about it really irked me. (Spoilers ahead for those who have not played Majora's Mask)
Specifically the fact that you start the game looking for Navi and you never actually find her. Most poeple I know didn't mnd that, since they didn't like Navi much to begin with, but it's a huge loose thread that is never addressed. And the biggest point is that it could have so easily been answered. I mean, the Skull Kid already showed he could pretty much screw with creature's forms (turning Link into a Deku, Kafei into a kid, ect.), if he had encountered Navi, couldn't he have split her into two fairies (Tatl and Tael)? Sure, it would have required tweaking the beginning, but it would have been perfect; you were with the one you were searching for the whole time. I dunno, maybe it was just me.

Anyhow, like I said a really good game, but it doesn't top Ocarina for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom