• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Link's awakening was a pretty good game even for the Game boy and it did help me out on those boring time periods. If I still had it now I would still play it.
It was a classic. It was one of the games I got the same time I got my original Game Boy, way back in the early days of youth. Didn't know there was a series; just the one. And it was amazing.

Unfortunately, as must come to pass with all things of this nature, it is no longer with us. My sister went to replay it last summer, and found that its internal memory finally died. That game lasted like 15 years, but in the end, it couldn't live forever. We were pretty sad.

I never played the DX version though, for whatever reason. Just kind of skipped over it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It was a classic. It was one of the games I got the same time I got my original Game Boy, way back in the early days of youth. Didn't know there was a series; just the one. And it was amazing.

Unfortunately, as must come to pass with all things of this nature, it is no longer with us. My sister went to replay it last summer, and found that its internal memory finally died. That game lasted like 15 years, but in the end, it couldn't live forever. We were pretty sad.

I never played the DX version though, for whatever reason. Just kind of skipped over it.
Link's Awakening was my second Zelda game, after Ocarina of Time, and to this day, is my favorite of the top-down titles. Like yourself, I have a special place for it as the nostalgia booms in recollection of the memories bound to it. I suggest getting the DX version. It's totally worth playing in color (and the extra Color Dungeon was fun).

Scott!

Smash Lord
Link's Awakening was my second Zelda game, after Ocarina of Time, and to this day, is my favorite of the top-down titles. Like yourself, I have a special place for it as the nostalgia booms in recollection of the memories bound to it. I suggest getting the DX version. It's totally worth playing in color (and the extra Color Dungeon was fun).
I'll have to pick it up at some point then. It's always been on my extended list of things I really should do at some point but just never think about at the opportune moment.

VariableGear

Smash Rookie
I loved Link's Awakening too, and I never played the DX version either.

However, I'd have to say that my favorite Zelda is Wind Waker, followed by A Link to the Past, followed by Majora's Mask.

The thing is though, I haven't played Minish Cap yet. I've gotta do that!

c3gill

Smash Ace
Minish Cap was ok- not up to the normal Zelda standard, but all around ok. Favorite Zelda, you mention?

1) Majora's Mask- took off where OoT ended, and made it BETTER! Most undderrated LoZ game.
2) Twilight Princess(GC)- For the Gamecube to die when it did, it went out with a BANG. Not a big fan of the Wii controls (eh), but all the new items and playstyle? and Canon? Wow this game was good.
3) Link to the Past- again on the Canon, this game played a major role in creating LoZ as a major series. And it was amazingly fun and challenging when it first came out.

Honorable Mention to Link's Awakening, for showing us that LoZ can be played on a handheld.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Most underrated? That brings me to my next question, WHY isn't it liked much?

All I can think of (which are my own feelings too) is

1) the absence of Ganondorf
2) the tediousness of starting time all over again
3) the extreme chance based rewards (like without a strategy guide, good luck figuring out how to ever beat anything)

I don't know it was a great game, but it was no ocarina of time for me.

So I guess my question, why is it so "underrated"?

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Ocarina of Time's difficulty was "okay".

The only temples I thought were challenging at all were Water Temple and Shadow Temple. And even then Water Temple (which was the hardest IMO wasn't that hard, I ended up beating it for several of my friends who swore on it's impossibility).

Majora's Mask seemed harder for me. In general figuring out how to get all the masks and everything was a pain and very difficult. It was one of the first games I had to resort to a strategy guide or gamefaqs to find something which I had no idea how to do, only to find out I had to stand in front of a toilet at a specific time a day. -.-

Scott!

Smash Lord
Majora's is definitely harder than OoT. It takes a certain something. You have to know what you're doing. In OoT, generally, you can just keep going, figuring out each room and moving on. If you're stuck, keep going forward. This strategy fails in the Water Temple, which is why people always have issues with it. I didn't ever really think of it like that until much later; I had trouble, but figured it out and moved on.

In Majora, you need to have a basic plan for your 3 days. Even if you're not really sure of the details, you can't just do whatever whenever. You need to take lots of interconnected events into account as well. It reminds me of the Water Temple, actually. Both have a central area with offshoots in the four cardinal directions. And in both, you need to understand the basic mechanic of the area. One has water levels, the other has time. This is why both are considered more difficult, I believe.

I had to use a strategy guide in MM for only one thing; the All-Night Mask. I knew the basic idea of what it had to be, and a decent idea of how to get it (I already suspected the store). But I didn't know the part about taking out the thief the first night. It's things like this, the intense amount of connections, that make MM such a tricky game.

I think MM is underrated because it's a sequel. OoT was so amazing and revolutionary. It was an impossible act to follow, in many people's eyes. And then, out of nowhere comes Majora. It's such a radical departure from anything else before it. It was the second game to leave Hyrule, LA being the first. Both were sequels to amazing games, and I feel both are forgotten due to their seeming irrelevance to the main story. LA, and MM at first glance, don't concern Hyrule. They're seen as less important.

Also, the people who hated the Water Temple would not like the time mechanic in MM. Others would also find it tedious. Thus, people see a game that does little visually to improve on OoT, is just a sequel with no importance to Hyrule, and has such a bothersome mechanic to playing it. This combination leads people to write it off as inferior.

That was a lot, and kind of rambling, but the points are in there somewhere...

c3gill

Smash Ace
Most underrated? That brings me to my next question, WHY isn't it liked much?

All I can think of (which are my own feelings too) is

1) the absence of Ganondorf
2) the tediousness of starting time all over again
3) the extreme chance based rewards (like without a strategy guide, good luck figuring out how to ever beat anything)

I don't know it was a great game, but it was no ocarina of time for me.

So I guess my question, why is it so "underrated"?
1) Zelda 2. Links Awakening. Minish Cap. Phantom Hourglass. While it is generally a trait of the handheld Zeldas, Majora's Mask is not alone in not having Ganondorf as the main "bad dude"
2) Its the mechanic of the game that keeps it special! Starting Time over gives Link the opportunity to take a small event and see how it changes the world around him. which leads to....
3) Not chance at all- you MUST pay attention to detail. There is no random happening in this game. Everything has a reason and a purpose(LttP style)- you often must do something on day 1 to make something on day 3 possible. It is without a doubt the hardest Zelda, simply because of how spread out the days are, and how much you must accoplish in them. Some of the puzzles are rediculous, and it isnt just how tedious you must work to do everything- unlike the other Zelda games, there is a permanent timetable. If you arent done and havent played the Song of Time by the end of day 3- you lose, and everything you accomplished in those 3 days is now gone.

It is underrated because most people didnt bother playing it all the way through. Everyone appreciates OoT for its new concepts and gameplay, but MM took those concepts and built a near-flawless game on them. It is one of the more challenging Zeldas (if not the most), but still appreciates the small stuff that made its prequel so excellent. The Idea of playing as different characters(races) was amazing! Plus, as a sequel to OoT, the game payed homage to its predecessors in that the entire world was a mirror image of hyrule- pretty much every character in MM was based on a character in OoT.

For me, the new experience with time and collecting all the masks made this game my favorite Zelda. And Majora's Mask is a pretty tight Antagonist- It is a super powerful mask that controls its wearer, and it is still speculated how it came to have so much power.

Fierce Deity Mask is the most epic thing in a LoZ game EVER. (fused shadow would be up there too, but unlike that i got to wear the FD mask and kick some ***)

And as for other people not liking MM as much as I- thats word, the Zelda series is such a good series, that you can take pretty much any of the games and argue that it has contributed the most to canon, expanding the map(generally Hyrule) ,and advancing controls and gameplay. Except those **** Oracle games!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ganondorf should have had an alternate in MM that was...some kind of ice cream man or something. It would have been funny, they could have given him some kind of epic opening where Link freaks out...than is confused seeing him doing something nice.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Haha that would be really funny.

Actually I didn't beat MM until I got the collector's edition. Someone stole my MM cartridge while I was going through the third temple.

It's underrated because it came after OoT. I assure you that if it had come before OoT it would be one of the most liked games ever.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Haha that would have be really funny.

Actually I didn't beat MM until I got the collector's edition. Someone stole my MM cartridge while I was going through the third temple.

It's underrated because it came after OoT. I assure you that if it had come before OoT it would be one of the most liked games ever.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
lol...well, in my opinion, I found Ocarina of Time a difficult game.
i find OOT... the hardest game I have ever played. My Zelda games are the only games I've never beaten 100% through the story

The Zelda games I own are OOT, TP, TLOZ, and WW.

On OOT... I'm stuck after Phanton Ganon somewhere.
On TP... I'm stuck in the Yeti's house. The part where you have to slide the blocks. I can't use a guide because I tried it by myself... and failed miserably. (You can't reset them)
On WW... I lost my boat... I gave up.
On TLOZ... I don't even get it...

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
On TP... I'm stuck in the Yeti's house. The part where you have to slide the blocks. I can't use a guide because I tried it by myself... and failed miserably. (You can't reset them)
On OOT... Go see the Gorons and make your way to the Fire Temple.
On TP... Use the ball and chain to smash that one ice block to reveal another sliding one. If you're before the ball and chain part . . . Just keep trying it, lol.
On WW... Walk around the shore until you find your boat lol.
On TLOZ... Get the sword in the cave on the first screen, then walk north to find a dungeon lol.

Don't feel bad, I needed a guide for a few things back when I first started playing Zelda games. I still do for a few things, though not as much.

It's best to check just when you're stuck, and not to have a walkthrough walk you through an entire game.

Darkslash

Smash Master
i find OOT... the hardest game I have ever played. My Zelda games are the only games I've never beaten 100% through the story

The Zelda games I own are OOT, TP, TLOZ, and WW.

OoT: Go ask Navi if your stuck. She'll give you a hint where to go next
TP: Don't destroy the Ice Block in the middle. It saves LOADS of time if you don't. On my first try of TP I dystroyed the Ice Block and 30 minutes of Block sliding ensured. I saved the block the next time and it took 5 minutes.
WW:Ouch
TLOZ: Well I don't have that one so no comment.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Actually, the Yeti House block sliding is fairly simple. First, do everything as if you were trying to press the first switch. Then, slide two of the blocks towards the switch in the middle. Next, take the first block you slid towards the switch, bring it around again, and slide it towards the switch again.

Imaine this is the floor plan, and the ice block are X's. F is normal floor, and S is switches.

OOOOX
OOOOX
OOSOO
OOOOO
FXOOO
FFSFF

now make this:
OOXOO
OOXOO
OOSOO
OOOOO
FXOOO
FFSFF

Then:
OOOOX
OOXOO
OOSOO
OOOOO
FXOOO
FFSFF

OOOOO
OOXOO
OOSOO
OOOOO
FXXOO
FFSFF

And finally, make this:

OOOOO
OOXOO
OOXOO
OOOOO
FXOOO
FFSFF

Spire

III
BRoomer
I thoroughly enjoyed the ice block sliding cave in Northern Hyrule Field. That was probably the hardest part of the whole game.

I'd like a Zelda FULL of challenges like that.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I thoroughly enjoyed the ice block sliding cave in Northern Hyrule Field. That was probably the hardest part of the whole game.

I'd like a Zelda FULL of challenges like that.
Agreed.

Especially since I like Ice block sliding challenges the most.

On the other hand, the two statue challenge to obtain the master sword I could have done without.

But yes, tougher puzzles please!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Agreed.

Especially since I like Ice block sliding challenges the most.

On the other hand, the two statue challenge to obtain the master sword I could have done without.

But yes, tougher puzzles please!
Forgot about that part. Okay, the Northern Hyrule Field ice cave was the second hardest part in the game (although that's debatable). I would have rather faced a series of puzzles relative to the Temple of Time than the statue challenge.

Also, I miss the Gerudo Training Ground. We need more places like that. Optional puzzle-based mini dungeons (and of course, optional feature-length adventure dungeons).

Options, options, options.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Becuase my school is a bunch of Casual and Xbox fanboys, guess what I saw in my schools paper. Well believe it or not there was a article on game's have no brain value, and Twilight Princess pics where the only ones there. Guess my reaction.

Page went right into the trash.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm nearly positive you can go inside a building to reset the King of Red Lions, although I'm not positive. But I'm fairly sure I was bored once and used my AR to give myself infinite swimming time and swam all the way from one island to another. I went inside a building on the island and the King of Red Lions was there. There's a default location for every island, you just have to find it.

If you've already gone inside a building, I'm not really sure...maybe your game's broken?

Becuase my school is a bunch of Casual and Xbox fanboys, guess what I saw in my schools paper. Well believe it or not there was a article on game's have no brain value, and Twilight Princess pics where the only ones there. Guess my reaction.

You should've burned them in front of the school in protest.

Spire

III
BRoomer

Like Firus said, I would protest, writing up a novel-long essay as to why they are wrong. Half would support Zelda and the like, half would **** on Halo and Wii Fail.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Well that was about 5 months ago. I still can remember the pics. Link scream and Link fighting a Skulluta. The memory burns in my mind. I actually yelled "Go Play Ocarina and come back to me"

Scott!

Smash Lord
People are dumb. I'm always thrown off when people say Zelda is mindless and then go on about some game where the only thing you do is shoot things until you reach a cut scene. I would like to watch these people do the statue puzzle people were talking about above. Then they can talk about mindless.

Darkslash

Smash Master
People are dumb. I'm always thrown off when people say Zelda is mindless and then go on about some game where the only thing you do is shoot things until you reach a cut scene. I would like to watch these people do the statue puzzle people were talking about above. Then they can talk about mindless.
What ticked me off even more was then that other articles were going about how godly Xbox Live and Halo is. Of course I know that Live is the best service, but with all the screaming adolescents it kinda nullifies its self.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

Uh oh.

Here's what you do: Get your copy of TP to the statue puzzle. Bring it to school. Challenge all comers to beat it. See how many can actually do it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
There was only one part I had to use a strategy guide for. At the very end of City in the Sky, you have to descend on your clawshot in the large, main room (the one with collapsing floor tiles) and then use your other to pull down on something. There's absolutely no other method to solving this puzzle, and I could not figure it out.

I realize, if I had never played OoT, TP would probably be my favorite.

Darkslash

Smash Master
There was only one part I had to use a strategy guide for. At the very end of City in the Sky, you have to descend on your clawshot in the large, main room (the one with collapsing floor tiles) and then use your other to pull down on something. There's absolutely no other method to solving this puzzle, and I could not figure it out.

I realize, if I had never played OoT, TP would probably be my favorite.
OMG I actually managed to figure that out with out the use of a strategy guide. I accidentally Let my self go down. So after cursing for a while I found out who to get up there with those 2 towers and vines.

Even though OoT was the first Zelda I touched, with Wind Waker second, TP was the first Zelda I finished.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well, I have gotten stuck a few times. Never have I used a guide, though. Only time I had help was with the Deku Tree, lol. (From my friend) I always tried jumping from that block to light the deku stick to burn the web to get to the boss, but I always jumped off and had to go around many many times. Never did I know that I could simply drop the block to get to the lower section with the torch on the floor. :/ I felt so dumb, haha.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I used a guide in Jabu-Jabu once. When you're carrying Ruto around, there's a place where you need to throw her up onto a ledge and climb up after her. I tried throwing her up so many times, but couldn't do it, so I thought I was missing something. I checked the guide, which didn't say anything at all. Tried again, and got it. That was a little bit lame on my part.

And in LA, we called the hotline once. Not knowing the names of the enemies made the Stone Slab hint in the second dungeon tricky. "First defeat the imprisoned Pols Voice; last, Stalfos." I had no idea what they were, so I didn't even know what room they were talking about. Now I do, and I'll never forget that hint.

Edit: @Skrah: That was pretty sweet. Personally, my favorite way of doing that battle is Mortal Draw all the way. Having a shield makes that a bit easier though.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Well, yeah. But I limited myself on everything. I didn't get any skills, only final strike or w/e. 1 bottle, minimum arrows, 1 bomb bag, etc.

Yeah definitely having a shield makes everything easier, but Link looks beast with a sword lol.

Scott!

Smash Lord
That's pretty impressive. Personally, I don't go for those crazy runs. Too hard for me. Plus, I like getting stuff. I'm just impressed when people go through all that just for the personal feeling of accomplishment.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
On OOT... Go see the Gorons and make your way to the Fire Temple.
On TP... Use the ball and chain to smash that one ice block to reveal another sliding one. If you're before the ball and chain part . . . Just keep trying it, lol.
On WW... Walk around the shore until you find your boat lol.
On TLOZ... Get the sword in the cave on the first screen, then walk north to find a dungeon lol.

Don't feel bad, I needed a guide for a few things back when I first started playing Zelda games. I still do for a few things, though not as much.

It's best to check just when you're stuck, and not to have a walkthrough walk you through an entire game.
Oh wait.... I think i'm in the fire temple...

Lol... Looks like i gotta keep trying it..

No... my boats somewhere in the middle of the ocean... >.>

Oh! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom