• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Come to think of it, Skyloft's architecture is very Hyrulean and Terminan. Actually, all of the architecture so far seen is hybridized between the two. The clockwork machinery for instance. Such a motif is not Hyrulean; Termina is the clockwork land. And yet we have the mystic Hyrulean architecture in the mix. The lore so far, Ghirahim resembling both Vaati and the Gilded Sword whilst commanding Twilight-like magic, Fi's resemblence to both the Fairy Queen and the Master Sword, and oh man I'm sleepy.

I'd write more, but time for bed.

Edit: Last thought: if we ever revisit Termina in a new game (not MM remake), I'd like to see the land stylistically redesigned to have widespread clockworking around the land; a game spent in a future time... Got it! I want to see a Twilight Princess sequel where Link travels to Termina. This is Termina at least a century later, perhaps many centuries (as Twilight Princess takes place at the same time that The Wind Waker does). No, scratch that. I don't want to see Twilight Princess Link ever again. I want to see Termina in another time, from the perspective of a new Link.

Man, when are they gonna make some crazy end-all, be-all Zelda game where every incarnation of Link intersect at some point in time? Or a game that you play through multiple periods of Hyrule with one Link who changes appearance based on the incarnation of Hyrule that he's in? Perhaps we don't play through every incarnation after all—but a select group, including perhaps one or two new ones. I think the most interesting and deserved combination would be: NES Link, Skyward Sword Link, Majora's Mask Link, Dark Link, New Link. What am I even talking about, I can't remember. I blanked out for about t83n minutes.
That's certainly possible. Since this is before MM and we don't have a complete backstory of Termina, there's a range of possibilities to do with the connection of Termina and Hyrule.

etecoon

Smash Hero
although MM is my favorite zelda game and termina is my favorite setting used so far...I don't think it would make sense to revisit termina, aside from a remake of MM. a lot of termina's mystique would be ruined by trying to elaborate on it further, even the nature of its existence isn't made clear in MM and simply having another game take place in it would take some of that away

I'd just like to see them use more alternate lands in general, koholint is my next favorite zelda world, the only time hyrule ever really captivated me was in LoZ and LTTP, it's just grown stale after 20+ years. I think as far as an adventure game goes I prefer the stranger in a strange land approach, we already know too much about hyrule. I've been addicted to morrowind for the past week or so and it really has the same kind of theme that made termina and koholint special in the zelda franchise, you're just dropped into a bizarre world all alone... it's something I definitely miss in a game like twilight princess

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Edit: Last thought: if we ever revisit Termina in a new game (not MM remake), I'd like to see the land stylistically redesigned to have widespread clockworking around the land; a game spent in a future time... Got it! I want to see a Twilight Princess sequel where Link travels to Termina. This is Termina at least a century later, perhaps many centuries (as Twilight Princess takes place at the same time that The Wind Waker does). No, scratch that. I don't want to see Twilight Princess Link ever again. I want to see Termina in another time, from the perspective of a new Link.

Man, when are they gonna make some crazy end-all, be-all Zelda game where every incarnation of Link intersect at some point in time? Or a game that you play through multiple periods of Hyrule with one Link who changes appearance based on the incarnation of Hyrule that he's in? Perhaps we don't play through every incarnation after all—but a select group, including perhaps one or two new ones. I think the most interesting and deserved combination would be: NES Link, Skyward Sword Link, Majora's Mask Link, Dark Link, New Link. What am I even talking about, I can't remember. I blanked out for about t83n minutes.
Like those rare Power Ranger episodes where the current group of Rangers in the season teams up with many other Rangers from past seasons to **** some ****ty *** enemy?

YES, all of the villians throughout all of the Zelda series gang up at the end of some epic game, and you must call upon the aid of all Link's from past games to help you **** the enemies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
No, not like that at all. In fact, I just found this last night:

Rather than all of these Links teaming up, you'd play through particular sections of their worlds as one Link who takes on the appearance, or like-appearance of each Link to fit the constantly changing styles of each world. You would not go up against every antagonist. It would not be a giant mash-up of all the Links and all the villains. But yeah, that image is awesome.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
No, not like that at all. In fact, I just found this last night:

Rather than all of these Links teaming up, you'd play through particular sections of their worlds as one Link who takes on the appearance, or like-appearance of each Link to fit the constantly changing styles of each world. You would not go up against every antagonist. It would not be a giant mash-up of all the Links and all the villains. But yeah, that image is awesome.
What is that thing?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I never played Psychonauts, but that isn't part of an established series is it? Not really the same thing imo as "hey, remember these other Zelda games? we do too!"

maybe I'm misreading it though.

Spire

III
BRoomer
In Psychonauts, you accessed worlds through peoples' minds. Each world had a style unlike the last. Such is a feature I think could be interesting in the ever-changing Zelda series, though in a retrospective sense. Something like this might not be appropriate now, but somewhere down the line it could be interesting to be in control of a single Link who navigates through time like never before. Rather than experiencing all these moments in time, it's more a journey through spacial recognition, akin with the Four Swords Anniversary Edition's LoZ/ALttP/LA inspired stages, but on a much larger and realized scale.

I see it in my head, so maybe I'll whip up some concept art to demonstrate what I have in mind. The underlying concept of the game is to exemplify our familiarity with design motifs introduced and associated with specific titles in the series.

etecoon

Smash Hero
called it forever ago

pretty much anything "ancient" mentioned in OoT or TP is likely to be expounded on, probably in a sloppy manner if they literally try to tackle all of it...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Look at how awesome that section of the Fire Temple foyer is. I am in love with Skyward Sword's art direction. It feels like the style Zelda has always needed. I remember posting a couple years ago in the milk bar (when it was the Zelda Thread in the light house, before this room was created) some vague idea that Nintendo should go with a painterly style for Zelda Wii. My body is ready.

:phone:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
There has been a ****load of info and videos revealed in the past couple days.

I'm starting to think I should go media blackout because THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST ZELDA EVER.

Here is a clearer look at how the overworld/hubworld travel plays out.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/09/new-skyward-sword-footage-eldin-volcano.html

looks beautiful ,and the transition from sky to overworld is pretty much seamless.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I'm totally digging that SS comes out a day before my birthday just like TP came out on the day of my birthday. Perfect opportunity to ask my parents for SS as a birthday present :troll:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
what's most likely going to happen is I will preorder the special version, and on November 20th at midnight I will go to Walmart to pick up a second, regular copy as soon as the time comes because I can't wait until the delivery comes. I always end up doing this with big hype games. Usually I end up selling the Walmart version or using it as a Christmas/birthday gift.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I may have to unsubscribe from this thread, I wanna look at trailers and gameplay so bad but I don't wanna spoil it for myself ahhggghh

I watched the first 30 secs of the video The Real Gamer posted and that opening was incredible.. less than 2 months away!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
SS comes out very much earlier than my bday - almost 4 months. But I'm still considering about getting the collectors edition.

I'm completely divided on getting three games - Kirby wii, Sonic Generations, and SS, and my budget is only going to allow 2 of them immediately. Kirby has the benefit of coming out first by a significant margin, Sonic is my favorite franchise after Fire Emblem (and maybe Zelda), and SS has the collectors edition, but is of course more expensive. Decisions.... :/

:phone:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I believe it's just 10 dollars more, so it would be 59.99; the cost of a PS3 or 360 game. It's worth it to me, because the controller alone is worth more than 10 bucks, so anything else is just icing on the cake.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's $69.99.

You're paying $20 for the golden Wiimote (whoa, had a dream last night that I owned it) and the orchestral CD.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I thought the orchestral CD was included with all of the first run games, not just with the golden wii remote?

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'll prolly wind up getting the bundle anyway just because the WM+ add on is clunky and hey, who doesn't want an egyptian themed wii remote? if only you got a golden chuk too...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's $69.99.

You're paying $20 for the golden Wiimote (whoa, had a dream last night that I owned it) and the orchestral CD.
I must've gotten it on sale then. I ordered it on Amazon a while ago and my total was $138 including tax and shipping.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Wow you got *****. I got it for £50.86 (≈ $78.96) and that's including shipping (£3).
To be fair though it would have probably cost twice as much if I bought it in Denmark lol.

etecoon

Smash Hero
NoA continuing to be terrible

not that it matters to me because I have like 15 games on steam I haven't even gotten around to playing, and skyrim and arkham city coming out, I'll probably wait and get SS used anyway

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Apparently Nintendo Power has some new info on SS. Read this on another forum, c/ping it here in his words.

Link is training to become a Knight
The birds they ride are called Loftwings
Zelda's father is named Gaepora. He's the man that we've seen in screen shots with the unibrow. Not only is his name and look similar to Kaepora Gaebora but his laugh is a very owl like "hoo, hoo, hoo."
The red haired rival of Links we've seen is named Groose. He's said to be like the Biff Tannen of Skyloft. He's always accompanied by his lackeys Cawlin and Stritch, he's a bully, and he has a huge crush on Zelda.
You can roll into tables and break the objects (plates, glasses) on them.
Zelda wakes Link up early in the morning just so he can be the first to see her in her goddess attire she's wearing to perform a ceremony later that day. She then calls him lazy because he hasn't been practicing enough for the flying portion of the ceremony and then pushes him off the edge of Skyloft!. After Link wins the competition and he and Zelda perform the ceremony together they go on an evening flight together. While on said flight Zelda says to Link that there is something she has been wanting to tell him but before she gets the chance she is swallowed up by a black tornado.
Link, who was saved by his bird, wakes up in his bed and follows FI around Skyloft until they reach the Goddess statue. This is where Link finds out Fi is the spirit that resides in the blade known as the Goddess sword. Link is Fi's new master and she contains knowledge that will help Link fulfill his destiny.
There is a day/night system in SS but it's not real time anymore. You have to choose to go to sleep for the time of day to change. Skyloft is much more dangerous at night.
There are different options for the HUD. Standard, light, and pro. Has less HUD elements as you move closer to pro.
Link has nightmares about a huge black monster.
Ghirahim mentions wanting to resurrect his master. (Don't freak out, it won't be Ganon!)
Sheikah stones return.
Can only save at designated points. Similar to the statues in MM since once you awaken then you can teleport to them.
As Link searches for Zelda down below he encounters an enigmatic, ninjalike women in black who wears the mark of the Sheikah on her clothes and forehead.

So Ghirahim supposedly has a motive, so that should spice things up a bit. And lol at the classic bully archetype, and the supposed Link X Zelda romance. ANd holy **** Sheikas.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Zelda sounds like the perfect girlfriend to me. Totes. Hope they don't overdo the romance though. I like me some classic love story with an innocent sweet lil girl, but nothing too intense.

Also, Sheikah is interesting;

4 scenarios really:
1. Sheikahs work from the shades, unrelated to Skyloft
2. Sheikahs work from the shades, related to Skyloft
3. Sheikahs work in the open, unrelated to Skyloft
4. Sheikahs work in the shades, unrelated to Skyloft

Also, I agree with the save system. It allows for more dynamic Game/Area design.

Top Bottom