• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Ecks

Smash Lord
I have to agree with Vigilante. I'm really looking forward to SS but I'm not fond of motion controllers at all.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong, I will enjoy SS a lot, I'm sure. Hell I only own the Wii version of TP so I don't mind motion controllers but I'd use a normal controller if I had the option.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure you can practice with your non-dominant hand to make it stronger at whatever activity. ie, I'm right handed and play the French Horn, but the French Horn uses the left hand. Piano players use both hands, even though most are right handed. And that requires dexterity and strength of the fingers even moreso than the Wiimote.

Anyway, how did you fare with the Gamecube controller? Most of the buttons are on the right side....

Ecks

Smash Lord
To clarify, I'm not left handed, I was agreeing with his opinion of motion controllers. Also I'm a piano player (still learning :D) and It gets very frustrating at times.

Vigilante uses the gcn controller upside down if I remember correctly lol

Ecks

Smash Lord
^Nah he does it for the lolz and because he can.

And to get back on topic, I can't help the feeling that ganondorf will be the bad guy in the end and that makes me kinda sad... Having Link is ok but when ganon is allways introduced as the real bad guy I always go "gee what a shocker >_>" and that feeling I could do without. :/

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'm left handed and through practiced I've learned (and actually have become more comfortable with) doing some things with my right hand. I write with my right hand, but throw with my left.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure you can practice with your non-dominant hand to make it stronger at whatever activity. ie, I'm right handed and play the French Horn, but the French Horn uses the left hand. Piano players use both hands, even though most are right handed. And that requires dexterity and strength of the fingers even moreso than the Wiimote.

Anyway, how did you fare with the Gamecube controller? Most of the buttons are on the right side....
I'm pretty sure that is completely different actually. See, I too play horn (see my sig), I'm right handed and I can't imagine playing it with my right hand. I didn't even feel like it was wrong when I first picked it up. Its not one of those things where dominant hand plays a factor IMO just like catching a baseball with your non dominant hand. But to me, I feel like video games at the very least the way Zelda is trying to present it is different. Its taking a dominant hand activity (sword fighting) and forcing people to use their non dominant hand.

I hope that makes sense....

Life

Smash Hero
I'm also a righty horn player (and better at it than Brawl), but I had to pick up a mellophone to do marching band and I adjusted fairly easily. So meh.

I should totally jack that sig btw.

Anyway, hyped about SS but I also have to finish pokemon black...

Spire

III
BRoomer

I'm pretty sure that is completely different actually. See, I too play horn (see my sig), I'm right handed and I can't imagine playing it with my right hand. I didn't even feel like it was wrong when I first picked it up. Its not one of those things where dominant hand plays a factor IMO just like catching a baseball with your non dominant hand. But to me, I feel like video games at the very least the way Zelda is trying to present it is different. Its taking a dominant hand activity (sword fighting) and forcing people to use their non dominant hand.

Well wouldn't that inherently make lefties even more adept in ambidexterity? Imagine being trained by a master swordsman who teaches you to fight oppositely stanced and in wielding the sword itself. Or simply fencing with your left hand instead of your right. Trains the brains. So you lefties, you should be glad that Nintendo is giving you the opportunity to truly test yourself. You want difficult Zelda, play Skyward Sword as a lefty. That's the true test of courage and witts.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
To clarify, I'm not left handed, I was agreeing with his opinion of motion controllers. Also I'm a piano player (still learning :D) and It gets very frustrating at times.

Vigilante uses the gcn controller upside down if I remember correctly lol
Sorry, I should have clarified that I was talking to Vigilante.

It kind of makes sense. I know what you mean about how it feels natural, but I would argue that it's because of practice and familiarity (I can't remember how it felt initially - that was a long time ago for me). But if you can remember when you first picked it up, and you say it felt natural, then that's pretty cool. But I would still argue that it shows that the non-dominant hand is not completely incapable of doing things. And I hope we can agree that practicing anything, even (especially) something one isn't inherently good at, will make one good at that thing (if you practice adequately enough).

Edit: OHMYGOSH I GET YOUR SIG NOW. I thought it was some cyclops emoticon or something previously. +1 to you.

Well wouldn't that inherently make lefties even more adept in ambidexterity? Imagine being trained by a master swordsman who teaches you to fight oppositely stanced and in wielding the sword itself. Or simply fencing with your left hand instead of your right. Trains the brains. So you lefties, you should be glad that Nintendo is giving you the opportunity to truly test yourself. You want difficult Zelda, play Skyward Sword as a lefty. That's the true test of courage and witts.
Dang. It sounds so epic when you put it that way.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Reading all of this is making me want to play a Zelda game bad. I have a 100% file of OoT, Majora's Mask(on SD card but still), Link to the Past(Same), and Twilight Princess.

I could totally do a WW run, but I don't know. Kinda just saving up my Zelda hype for SS. Kinda like when B/W Pokemon were announced I decided to go on a 7 month hiatus from it.

My friends said when I got my PS3 I'd drop Nintendo for the surperior but bwahahah they were so wrong.

While I've gotten over 100 trophies in a few months(and one platinum), I've put 400 hours into Monster Hunter and almost 80 into Pokemon. And I don't have massive amounts of free time, either.

Anyways, half of that was off topic. I can't get the trailer to load for SS and I'm bored =[

kupo15

Smash Hero
I don't think that is the point. Firstly, its pretty rude to force Lefties to play with their non dominant hand to begin with. How would you like it if you were forced to play baseball switched? The challenge shouldn't be with this kind of change IMO.

In any case, I really don't think it will make that much of a difference. I could see myself swinging a fake sword with my left however I can't see myself using the joystick with my right though
Edit: OHMYGOSH I GET YOUR SIG NOW. I thought it was some cyclops emoticon or something previously. +1 to you.
lol :)
I tried to replay Wind Waker a couple months ago. It's pretty damn boring, I have to admit.
Yea, I get really excited when I think about playing WW but then I get depressed about it. They took away a temple from you and you have that stupid fetch quest triforce, half the islands don't reward you. The only memorable thing about the game is Outset island and Windfall Island. I enjoyed Windfalls sidequests

Ecks

Smash Lord
lol I had to use my left hand when using the shield attack in TP. I just could NOT do it with my right hand at all, but other than that, playing with the left hand was awkward and hard. So if I were forced to play with my left hand as a "challenge" or not I would just stop playing the game altogether.

I loved WW since day one but that 60% of useless islands were so boring. It's still my fave zelda though. I blame the nostalgia. :D

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't think that is the point. Firstly, its pretty rude to force Lefties to play with their non dominant hand to begin with. How would you like it if you were forced to play baseball switched? The challenge shouldn't be with this kind of change IMO.
There's a difference between being forced to play baseball lefty and having to 'swing' a virtual sword with a wiimote with your opposite hand.

kupo15

Smash Hero
^^Yea I know, I think swinging it wouldn't be that bad but I wouldn't be able to use the joystick that well with my non domnant

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
First person shooters often use two joysticks, and those gamers never complain about non-dominant hand control issues. Also, do you mean dominant? Because most players already use the joystick with their non-dominant thumb...which continues to show it's just what you get use to, rather than any actual problems with handedness.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Its kinda like the baseball thing. I use both dominant and non domaniant to play it but switch the hands and things wont be as good. Idk I guess we will just have to see when the game comes out

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Its kinda like the baseball thing. I use both dominant and non domaniant to play it but switch the hands and things wont be as good. Idk I guess we will just have to see when the game comes out
Right, I agree that it would be uncomfortable for a bit. I guess my comments have been more for those who say they refuse to play the game because of this barrier.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Which shows you can get used to it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't follow. Baseball uses both hands at the same time but for dramatically different purposes. If you switch your hands, you will get used to it though. If I'm not on the same page as you, could you correct me?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea I was just saying that baseball uses two hands like video games. Though if I had to switch hands I would be even worse because I can't throw with my left for my life. Its similar to video game I think but its for sure easier to adjust. Its just plain rude though.

And about the duel joystick example someone brought up, how would it feel if you had to move with your right joystick and strafe with your left? Would be really strange haha

We will just have to see if its a real problem for lefties I guess

Vigilante

Smash Lord
That's a little extreme. Learn to adapt Vigilante.
I can play backhand AND normal. But backhand just feels better to me. It has nothing to do with adaptation, but preference. And I've never complained for consoles like the DS because I know that my favoured controller hold is extremely rare. (And yes, I'm still pretty good).

Here's a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncEBVEiyl8

For left-handedness, it's a different animal. Some poeple cannot actually adapt due to physiological factors. Handedness is a natural propensity to be better at one hand over another, and unless you are someone who has a fair amount of ambidextry, you will always suffer from a reflex lag on your non-dominant side no matter what practice you get. You can't ever completely adapt. You can only "make do". Some right-handed who don't experience the small but very common daily irritants of a society not built for them don't seem to be able to understand this very obvious point.

The fact still stands that no matter how much practice I get from it, I never am able to reach my maximum potential. With right-handed controls, I will not reach the same degree of precision than with my left hand. Ever. That is just how lefties are made.

Furthermore, I would never, IRL, hold a sword in such a manner unless I went dual blades, which I do. Yet, my main offensive force is my left arm. This sort of sword hold would not be natural for me and would completely destroy the attempted element of immersion. I would always be reminded that I'm playing a game, that I am not Link. Zelda games expect you to take on the identity of the character. You, and anyone else here have absolutely no possible argument that can discredit mine save for "You're minority, please change your DNA to assimilate".

There is absolutely no excuse to allow for this kind of incomplete and lazy control scheme. I think my concern is sound and while it may not affect most of the people here, if the game only had lefty motion controls, you guys would all be rioting. :p

Edit: And yeah, my experience with Red Steel 2 and The Conduit has been horrendous.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Honestly if the game only had lefty motion controls, I would be cheering. It'd really come down to me saying, "yes, Nintendo is immortalizing their lore in the controls!" I think that would be a very honorable thing to do for the franchise, despite it indefinitely hurting sales.

On second thought, I would only kind of support it. It'd kind of be more gimmicky than the motion control implementation in the first place (well, its a gimmick in some eyes, not mine).

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Actually, I think it would be very easy, if you just swith hitboxes and animations. I'm sure it's a very simple feat for a company like Nintendo. Besides, there is no excuse. All they are telling us is "We're lazy, or don't want to spend the extra time adding it". If you can't please both, go with classic, I say. Ambidextrous and it works.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I imagine it would be a lot more difficult than you are implying. It's not like TP where they can just flip the world over. The enemies are specifically designed with right handedness in mind.
I doubt it would be hard. Firstly, I highly doubt that any puzzle can be one hand specific. How would that happen? Secondly, they only really have to change Links animations to match the lefties. The only thing that will change is the ease at finding specific enemies' weaknesses. For example, in Lttp, the fact that the guards were right handed and Link was left made it harder to avoid their shield.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Nintendo exagerated when they said it was like making an entire new game. It would take more time, and yeah, Nintendo would lose a little money due to increased development time, but everything would already be in the game, technically, so it would not be a very long extension. If they can do it is Wii Sports, I don't see why it can't be done in Zelda.

Top Bottom