• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GtaN Brawl General discussion thread! -Wait, did the title change?

nickcam

Smash Ace
@ tinman the only way to improve is by actually playing the game. U can make posts all u want and study things but until you implement it on real people its useless. You also cant say since i can beat this person im better then such and such. This logic doesnt work in brawl. Its all character based and u might have a good matchup vs one person character and a bad one vs another person. Plus playing only one person is never gonna work, and percon hasnt been to tournies in a while (He's still ****) just saying hes probably not up to date with the latest gimmicks.

swordgard

Smash Hero
@ tinman the only way to improve is by actually playing the game. U can make posts all u want and study things but until you implement it on real people its useless. You also cant say since i can beat this person im better then such and such. This logic doesnt work in brawl. Its all character based and u might have a good matchup vs one person character and a bad one vs another person. Plus playing only one person is never gonna work, and percon hasnt been to tournies in a while (He's still ****) just saying hes probably not up to date with the latest gimmicks.

I disagree throughly, yes you need to implement what you learn, but considering the level of tech skill required in this game its fairly easy. Im talking mostly about solving problematic situations(like getting edgeguarded).

Also, lets just get this straight, friendlies are really far from tourney set. Even "getting close to beat" is actually different from beating. Percon is still good and will probably continue to outsmart most people, there arent many new gimmicks with rob though.

Finally, you cant say because i beat X i can beat Y too. You can however make educated guesses by looking at tourney results and matchups, knowledge of what both players know of the matchup and such things to get an idea of who would probably win.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Swordgard I will take you up on that offer!!!

I play a **** load and I don't think I improve as much as I would like to be. I pick up Falco (a better character) to help me fight MK, and I already do a lot of research on these forums (I've started posting later then most other people and My post count is greater then Gi's, Mikey's, Buenob's, etc...)

All I'm saying is that

• I DO PLAY A SH|TLOAD
    [*]I DO MY RESEARCH AND PARTICIPATE ON MY CHARACTER BOARDS
    [*]I DO THINK ABOUT THE GAME WHEN I'M NOT PLAYING IT

What am I missing?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I play percon enough times, I can take him (I realize that I have to beat him in a tournament before I can say anything) but when I went to york you, I got ***** by nickcam who is technically worse then percon. This means I only learned how to fight percon and not how to play better overall. Not to mention some better players only play certain characters, so its hard to learn all of the match ups. Getting better at one match up wont make me better overall, or at east thats what I conclude from what happened to me.

SOMEBODY TELL ME THE ANSWER, HELP ME OUT, I'M WILLING TO LEARN, I HAVE TOLERANCE TO LOSE, I WANT TO GET GOOD AT THIS GAME!!!!!
I'll play you bro. I'll give you the marth, falco, link, cap falcon, and metaknight bidness. K? For serial. Whenever you want bro, name the time and place.

KingAce

Smash Ace
Joe, you'll stop soon, like phil and doc, so "no one learns your playstyle".
lol i dnt care if ppl learn my playstyle i still play a lot of friendlies mostly b4 tourny
when doubles bracket or singles bracket starts im sure most people dont like playing friendlies in between cause brawl really does get boring and if your constantly playing by the time an important bracket match comes up your already bored lmao

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Yea, the top players definately dont help the lower people out here. Guess its cause theyre winning money and want to keep it that way.

Only people that i really see up to play/give tips to anyone is minus me and culex tbh.

When i played m2k and ally, they both gave me a tonne of tips...in just a couple games. Much more than id think our top players would do. Id cause it cause theyre happy seeing growth and development of the community, and good competition much more than money......

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'll play you bro. I'll give you the marth, falco, link, cap falcon, and metaknight bidness. K? For serial. Whenever you want bro, name the time and place.
k :bee:

Only people that i really see up to play/give tips to anyone is minus me and culex tbh.
When I talked to minus and ambrose (rides to and from tournaments) they said they only tell people what they tell everyone else. Some people are competitive in the way that they don't want anyone finding out their tricks, etc (like why ppl sandbag in pools)

@Nickcam: I do play the game a lot, shiitload of online play, and I go to work nuff times, and I ask for advice

@Swordgard: Train me!!!!! + I realize that if I can beat X, I can't beat Y (after york anyways)

Also, I'm gonna record my matches and analyze what I'm doing right and wrong. Thats one thing I don't do very much.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
People can play and ask me for help if they want, no one ever does though : ( probably because im running the tourney

But I give loads of tips to anyone who asks like tinman, dimmy

ASK ME PPL I WANNA PLAY U

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I've been around long enough that all you guys know how I play by now whether we play now or not :p ....sooo accepting all advice XD.

I must say that Ambrose and Percon in the past and Doc recently have also been really helpful to me with tips.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Hey there Tin Man, I always give lots of help to people. I'd like to think I've actually helped a lot of people while not being selfish about it.

Generally I talk about concepts more than specifics though, my only stipulation is that I don't tell people my exact thinking process. Cause you know, I'd rather not have people literally in my head.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Oh yeah Tinman, just came to me:

You need to understand the game to get better at the point you're at. Thing about all the PR members is that they understand what the game is about. UNFORTUNATELY, we cannot explain that to you, all we can do is give you general knowledge about what you're doing wrong. You have to accept the fact that alot of things in this game are ridiculous bs, you need to understand the tier list and how each character should be played, and overall how the game works

Its not just "you" its alot of people who practice, but don't really understand the mechanics of the game and how its supposed to be played at a high level. You also need to know which things are exploitable and which are not

swordgard

Smash Hero
Oh yeah Tinman, just came to me:

You need to understand the game to get better at the point you're at. Thing about all the PR members is that they understand what the game is about. UNFORTUNATELY, we cannot explain that to you, all we can do is give you general knowledge about what you're doing wrong. You have to accept the fact that alot of things in this game are ridiculous bs, you need to understand the tier list and how each character should be played, and overall how the game works

Its not just "you" its alot of people who practice, but don't really understand the mechanics of the game and how its supposed to be played at a high level. You also need to know which things are exploitable and which are not

I can, ive shown it to gichan XD.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Im sorry, im often at school and yet keep my msn open XD.

Either way, im actually gonna do a full training to the 1-3 people, and im pretty sure i could garantee huge improvements to people who need help.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
i think i noticed an improvement in my game after i started staying farther away from what the boards told me to do and started finding my own style,like the boards set up the foundation of your game but you shouldnt let it mold your style...the mk boards sucking might also have to do with that lol =p...im not gonna give tips unless people ask,it shouldnt be assumed that its up to me to point out your flaws

brose/anti main peeps who helped me get better,and swordbasterd knows everything so i ask him q's here and there =p

everyone needs to wifi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hype

Smash Lord
All this talk makes me want to share some of my knowledge. Here's how to use MK's Uair like a pro.

> The Uair Trap: FF Uairs at an opponent’s feet while he is being juggled. Unless the character has a high priority Dair to beat MK’s Uair this will force and air dodge.
- If the Uair hits them combo into either another Uair (low %) or SL (mid %) or reset the trap (high %).
- If they air dodge then preferably Nair them. If they DI too far away to Nair then settle for an Fair/Bair/Dair/SL
- If I do this trap close to the ground (so I’m forcing an air dodge into the ground) then use a Tornado immediately after the Uair.
> The Uair Chain: Uair > Uair > Uair.
- The follow up with the biggest potential reward is tornado at the top of the screen because it can be a 0-death.
- There are some situations where tornado isn’t the best option (they DI out of the Uair chain or the tornado is too low to kill). I have to make sure I know when to use other follow ups.
- Basically I can just watch where my opponent is relative to MK to know if I should Uair, Dair, Fair, Bair or SL. I can watch where my opponent is relative to the blast zones to know if I should Nair or Tornado.
> SH Uair x3 under a platform or hover under a higher platform doing constant Uairs when someone is shielding on it above me. If an Uair connects:
- Combo into an Uair Chain (low %)
- Combo into a SL (mid %)
- Set up the Uair trap (high %)
> If someone is shielding on a platform above me at a kill % then don’t do constant Uairs, delay a little bit then try to hit them with a Nair.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
^How to deal with that (at least with Falco):

DI horizontally as hard as possible and then fastfall and attempt to cross under MK.
Other characters other than Falco can do this, but some might find themselves in an even worse situation being under+ horizontal to MK.

The most important part would be DIing quickly, and then making sure to dodge the followup. Do not stay above MK or you will be grinded to the top of the level.

Hype

Smash Lord
Nate speakes the truth, I probably should have mentioned DI as a factor. In my experiance the Uair trap doens't work at all vs Wario. There's also random special moves that can help you get out of MK juggles.

Dimmy

Smash Journeyman
More stuffs to do with UAIRS on Mk- when doing an OOS Nair and the opponent shields, make yourself go behind them and do an uair before you hit the ground, this will give you enough shield stun to dtilt someone in the back over and over again without them being able to do anything about it but get shieldpoked and since their shield will be small from nair, you get a free dtilt after 2-3 hits.

MK Glide attack- Instead of spacing your glide attack you can actually throw a mixup and do a glide attack very close into the person going almost perpendicular towards them. If they shield your attack you land behind them with no lag netting you a free pivot grab. You just have to come in at the right angle.

nickcam

Smash Ace
Has this thread turned into a free class on how to play mk. i didnt know mk was so um..... technical? Ya right lol

.Marik

is a social misfit
1.) Pick MetaKnight

2.) Spam Tornado

3.) Approach with Nair/Fair

4.) UpB OoS

5.) More Tornado

6.) DSmash/FSmash, more Nair/Fair

7.) ???

8.) PROFIT!

Gichan

Smash Champion
Han > Marik if Marik decides to go MK.

And I don't think all the info in hype's binder is found ONLY in the MK boards, isn't it from a collection of all the other character baords as well?

Hype

Smash Lord
I'm sure everyone does their research, and the info on his binder can be found in the Mk matchup thread.
The binder consists of:

- Info from the mk boards
- Info from other character boards
- A table of contents LMAO
- Calc notes cuz i have nowhere else to put it
- My personal notes on characaters AND most importantly
- Notes on a lot of our top players (oh yes, you all want to read it)

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
notes taken from binder:

Joe: ignore his sexiness and dont have homosexual thoughts about him ingame,focus on match and win

swordgard

Smash Hero
notes taken from binder:

Joe: ignore his sexiness and dont have homosexual thoughts about him ingame,focus on match and win
I concur, the moment i saw joe i thought: "I better play eyes closed, or else hel distract me with his sexyness".

Cyan_

Smash Lord
The binder consists of:

- Info from the mk boards
- Info from other character boards
- A table of contents LMAO
- Calc notes cuz i have nowhere else to put it
- My personal notes on characaters AND most importantly
- Notes on a lot of our top players (oh yes, you all want to read it)
share the notes on me

unless im not a top player to you anymore

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Top Bottom