• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

illinialex24

Smash Hero
He's not that underrated but he's unexpected. Which is huge. They will likely have less matchup experience on a good Falcon, which is crucial.

And whichever mod locked that thread, thank you so much :)

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Some questions about CF

Some real quick questions here:

1) How effective is CF's pivot grab or pivot grab slide cos I've seen that it does slide after dashing but he grabs quite late. How effective is this and thus how good is it's range and is it predictable for your opponent?

2) Does CF have any super armor or invincibility frames in ANY of his attacks (apart from the dodges and shield)?

Thanks and hi Illinialex!

illinialex24

Smash Hero

1) How effective is CF's pivot grab or pivot grab slide cos I've seen that it does slide after dashing but he grabs quite late. How effective is this and thus how good is it's range and is it predictable for your opponent?

2) Does CF have any super armor or invincibility frames in ANY of his attacks (apart from the dodges and shield)?

All characters technically have 1 frame of invincibility in the frame they grab the opponent. They can still get hit but they have invincibility. Otherwise, I believe no.

And I prefer using jab grab personally, so I don't pivot grab very often but I heard from others its fairly good with Falcon so I'll likely use it more.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz

regarding question 2: during the grab part of falcons up b.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
So how useful is this in actual matches?
About as useful as Ganondorf's/DK's super armor during a Death Choke/Cargo. In other words, it isn't useful unless you're fighting Snake and he's riddled the area with explosions, except Falcon's is less useful than either of those.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
I would say it depends on the situation, if your playing teams that works. I know there is a probably a way for it to work in single matches. Probably like yoshi's recovery second jump. Thats just what I presume.

Heres a personal problem, you know after playing Wi-fi for abit you turn into a roller, you just roll alot when getting pressured and I have fallen into this category. When facing Tenki, it made me smile that I was going up against one of the best Sonic's. Now he said I was predictable. Rolled during pressure and accidently pressed A on the edges when im 100% and up. So my question to you is, Is there any methods that help you roll less? Don't know if I'm phrasing the question right.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Bit of a silly question but:

Recentley, I've become good as Falcon again (:falcon:YES!), and after going online with a friend for all of 1 round, 3 stocked his Luigi

Immediatley following, he quit

anyone else here have this trouble? I cant seem to get people to play me after I beat them with Falcon...

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I would say it depends on the situation, if your playing teams that works. I know there is a probably a way for it to work in single matches. Probably like yoshi's recovery second jump. Thats just what I presume.

Heres a personal problem, you know after playing Wi-fi for abit you turn into a roller, you just roll alot when getting pressured and I have fallen into this category. When facing Tenki, it made me smile that I was going up against one of the best Sonic's. Now he said I was predictable. Rolled during pressure and accidently pressed A on the edges when im 100% and up. So my question to you is, Is there any methods that help you roll less? Don't know if I'm phrasing the question right.
Rolling too much and dashing too much can cause different problems, but I had those problems before, and to me they're really the same thing. You're trying to move as fast as possible, but walking solves both the problems. Not only can you do every attack (even dash attack, dash and c-stick down immediately), this helps your spacing immensely and you will not find yourself having to roll away from situations nearly as often. Falcon has an extremely fast dash, but you don't want to use it all the time. And I'm assuming the dashing part. Tell me if I'm right ;)

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
Bit of a silly question but:

Recentley, I've become good as Falcon again (:falcon:YES!), and after going online with a friend for all of 1 round, 3 stocked his Luigi

Immediatley following, he quit

anyone else here have this trouble? I cant seem to get people to play me after I beat them with Falcon...
that is what i call scrub syndrome. they think falcon is ridiculously good and their character mega sucks. then they end up quitting

solution: go allisbrawl.com challenge people in the ladder or free play chat. a lot of good people there although you might play a scrub now and then

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I think it's more the fact that it can't be countered (as in, a counter from Marth, Ike, Peach, etc) or shielded against that it's so god**** useful.
Check out the moves tier list of Falcon, up B is high up there.
Also really useful when you know someone is going to gimp you with an aerial, since you're going to get another up B afterwards anyway, you could potentially stage-spike them, too...
=D

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
In my last tournament I was able to do a great edge move. I kept kneeing Bomber's charizard off the stage. When I stop being lazy, i'll post the video
Bomber? lol, I know him really well but have never played him. He has TL as his secondary

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
that is what i call scrub syndrome. they think falcon is ridiculously good and their character mega sucks. then they end up quitting

solution: go allisbrawl.com challenge people in the ladder or free play chat. a lot of good people there although you might play a scrub now and then
lulz they think that Falcon's ridiculously good because you beat them once with him? :laugh:

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
=O I played Noodlehead today, hahah.
What do you think of my online Falcon, noodlehead? Emphasis on online because I play better offline, obviously...

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
=O I played Noodlehead today, hahah.
What do you think of my online Falcon, noodlehead? Emphasis on online because I play better offline, obviously...
you shouldn't dash attack a lot, it's easy to punish. try to practice a variety of approaches. also try learning to jab>jab instead of infinite jab.or maybe it was because of the lag

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
you shouldn't dash attack a lot, it's easy to punish. try to practice a variety of approaches. also try learning to jab>jab instead of infinite jab.or maybe it was because of the lag
Yah, hard to get the timing for jab jab grab on Wi-Fi...the Z button makes me keep jabbing. Also, yeah I've reduced the number of dash attacks and replaced them with forward tilts...
For some reason on Wi-Fi I keep pivoting for no reason =.="
I think my control stick is a bit wobbly...

ozzie544

Smash Cadet
why do ganondwarf and caption falcon have the same moves but ganondwarf is slower and more powerful and caption falcon is faster but no as powerful

ozzie544

Smash Cadet
just for the record does caption falcon relly have green hair i heard he does but am not sure if that is true well is it true?

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice

This is Falcon without his suit, as you can see he doesn't have green hair

And isn't nearly as manly...

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975

This is Falcon without his suit, as you can see he doesn't have green hair

And isn't nearly as manly...
No way, that shoulder goes on FOREVER! Even if it finished at the edge of the picture it would still be too wide, haha.
Anyway

tgrove69

Smash Cadet
I have a question out of curiousity. Why was Captain Falcon placed low in the Tier list?

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
I have a question out of curiousity. Why was Captain Falcon placed low in the Tier list?
because he's too manly to camp or too manly to spam or too manly to use his gun.

simply put, brawl is a game of camping and spamming because its defensive and CF was always an offensive character.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
then melee falcon mustve sucked too.
Falcon had a ton of true combos because of hitstun (like how first hit nair combos into jab, nair comboed into a ton of things in Melee). Also, as you said, Brawl is a campy game, and Falcon has no projectiles. That wasn't as much of a problem in Melee, because the game was more fast-paced, and projectile camping was not nearly as effective, and with the knee being more powerful than in Brawl and the physics being less friendly to those getting hit, one nair or uair could lead to death by the knee at about 80%.

I don't really explain it that well, but if you think Falcon sucked before, just watch some videos :) I really don't think his priority and range are that different from Melee, I could be wrong though, but either way, those weren't as necessary then as they are in Brawl's campy metagame.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
lolx100.
falcon had no priority in melee. he had a massive amount of range though because he could leap across stages and could easily tech chase because of his speed. I only said falcon sucked in melee because you said he lacks priority in brawl which is what would make him a crappy character which is incorrect.

serious answer:
brawl is campy.
brawl is spammy.
brawl is slow.
brawl is also easy. auto sweetspot ledges and such makes punishing opponents for being offstage pretty hard. besides, I don't need to watch melee videos (even though I do) because I play melee and know what is capable.

try playing a campy falco in melee. >.>

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Underrated.
No, he is currently the worst character in Brawl. Its unfortunate but he was the most nerfed character in Brawl badly.

Falcon had good kill options in melee because of his insane dair to fair. That was ****. He could tech and do a lot of cool stuff in melee and he could combo well. In Brawl, without that dair fair **** stuff, he has issues.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
It's just the hitlag and no L-cancelling which completely ruins him, if L-cancelling were in it would make some good difference, since you could actually use ALL of his aerials as a good approach (or just better than what he has now) and combo more. If you'd combine that with more hitlag, Falcon would **** (Brawl+ anyone). He doesn't have a bad moveset, it's wonderfull, Brawl's physics just work against him (which was totally known, but I like saying it, don't know why...:p)

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Falcon breaths and lives the melee engine. Its just that brawl has no hitstun.

And Falcon doesn't possess almost any of the 6 characteristics of a good move.

Top Bottom