• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else think Melee looks better than Brawl? You know in it's own way. That fast gameplay doesn't fit right with this game for some reason. Falcon will always be the bestttttt no matter what that D---- Sakarai did to Captain Falcon. Also think of it like this once this game is over and done. Hopefully a new Super Smash comes out then everyone will run back to him. The Almighty Falcon will reject everyone of them unless they fought along side him in Brawl. Could they possible make the nxt falcon any worse?

"6 characteristics of a good move." What are those? Speed priority?

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Anyone else think Melee looks better than Brawl? You know in it's own way. That fast gameplay doesn't fit right with this game for some reason. Falcon will always be the bestttttt no matter what that D---- Sakarai did to Captain Falcon.

"6 characteristics of a good move." What are those? Speed priority?
1 Speed(post and pre lag, including duration of the move)
2 Range(hitboxes, disjointed or not)
3 Power(Damage)
4 Knockback
5 Hitstun
6 Priority

Falcon has some of these, but they don't go well. For instance, a move with speed, priority, and range could be used as an approach. A move with knockback, and hitstun can be used as a finisher.

You see, falcons moveset lacked the right combination's. But in melee, he did not. All he was really missing was the range(sort of).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Kill moves just need to have knockback and 1 of the following:

Speed
Hitstun
Range

Priority not really because oftentimes the move won't be clashing with others. Take a look at Snake's U-tilt, it clashes with Jigglypuff's and yet which is a much better kill move?

Take a look at Ike's F-smash, it only has knockback so it isn't a great kill move but his bair has speed and knockback, while his F-tilt has range and knockback, both much better at killing.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
These characteristics are the ones I use to evaluate what I should use and when in what situation on what stage. They are just little somethings I came up with, but they help me out.

Like marths F-air. It is different because it is disjointed, has priority, power, speed and range. The only thing it lacks is hitstun.

I should also mention that autocanceling is added in the speed section.

Roager

Smash Ace
The big names are Champ, Ally... I know there's others, but I'm too tired. One starts with an R, and I'm gonna kick myself for not remembering it when I hear it.

And no, its not Roager.

/bad joke

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
For the knee, does the sweet spot last the whole hit box or does it turn into the flubbed knee after X amount of time?
Yes. It is only possible to sweet spot in the first few frames, although we don't know how many. Go the the compendium and find the guide to the Knee there, it'll tell you loads of stuff.

I would link to it but I'm on my iPod.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Yes. It is only possible to sweet spot in the first few frames, although we don't know how many. Go the the compendium and find the guide to the Knee there, it'll tell you loads of stuff.

I would link to it but I'm on my iPod.
Yes, you can see the sweetspot frames as Captain Falcon "lurches" forward for those few frames. It's really neat.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Why is Captain Failcon said to be the worst character in Brawl?
I have a question out of curiousity. Why was Captain Falcon placed low in the Tier list?
Lol. There were answers a few pages back, but pretty much it's this:
- no projectile
- no safe approaches
- best ko moves are unreliable
- recovery is severely limited against invincibility frames on the edge
- generally bad priority and range

And there's probably stuff I forgot ;)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Isn't wearing a helmet pretty....... UNmanly? O_o
Seriously..
Well, if one wears a helmet to prevent headaches/braindamage, then yes, one can say that such precaution is not very courageous. But, one must understand that captain falcon can never suffer from said problem(s), so his helmet is purely there because it can be.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Isn't wearing a helmet pretty....... UNmanly? O_o
Seriously..
If Falcon were to take off his helmet, the air that he exhaled would be released into the atmosphere. Too many manly air particles would lead to more and more manly people (although still far less manly than Captain Falcon). Eventually, this false manliness epidemic would spread to undeserving people, like Pit. Now we wouldn't want that to happen :laugh:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
-Ok...
So he's wearing a helmet to protect his manlyness then..

I wonder if he has some sort of "ding dong"-protector :?

Zeallyx

-Ok...
So he's wearing a helmet to protect his manlyness then..

I wonder if he has some sort of "ding dong"-protector :?
No.
He wears the helmet because he can, and he obviously gave the people who have the honour of looking at him too much credit, as he believes everyone is bound to know that he cannot suffer any head injuries/brain damage, making his helmet moot. He only wears it because he can.

And falcons ding dong is made of diamond. 24/7.

Its in a heavily guarded museum. No need to wear a ding dong protector when its kept in a heavily guarded museum.
(yes, he has a detachable *****.)

Kishin

Smash Ace
Am I the only Falcon here who LOVES to back flip? It's plain fun to back flip over projectiles and it gives you the option of B-air for an approach. Not to mention you could reverse a falcon punch if they like to roll behind you when you approach.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I back-flip away from the opponent as I dash towards them in an attempt to throw them off my real approach vector. Works most of the time with single hit nair or uair =P
I don't back-flip towards them... I just short hop rar when I bair approach...

Zeallyx

The frames needed in order for falcons Fair to sweetspot (or rather, the position one needs to be in, as in, close to your opponent) are very hard to actually pull off due to brawls engine/defensive system.

Mindgames are all that can net you a guaranteed/easier knee (or a broken shield, or a grab release on wario.). Wich makes falcons Fair harder to use effectively than most other sweetspotting moves.

also, the fact falcons Fair doesnt auto cancel doesnt help it, either.

Regardless, every good falcon must be able to pull off knees consistently, for punishing.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
To lazy to search (le gasp) so...

Any moves that put opponent into a jab-lock like state? (back hit of uair, weak hit knee, weak hit bair?) weak hit bairs may allow a jab lock, not sure if Falcon's jab hits EVERYONE or ANYONE... thats why I ask.

I like to make them FORCE getup for an easy hit/grab. (sweetspotted knee anyone?)

Kishin

Smash Ace
Is falcon better on wi-fi than offline? Err, I'm sure all characters are hurt by wi-fi but is Captain Falcon hurt on a lesser extent compared to most of the other characters or no?

Also, be Careful.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Mic, yes there are:

Tilt lock.
U-air lock.
B-air lock.

A few more attacks have jab locking properties, like D-air and flub'd Knee, but cannot actually be a jab lock, as SH'ing them again is too slow (and aren't that good anyway).

And btw, you don't even have to search, the sticked compendium has most useful threads.

Kishin, I play both, but I find that Falcon is easier for me offline, however, I bet everyone maining any character says that. Projectiles are harder to get past on wi-fi, and that just makes approaching harder.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
^Can you try to recreate it and catch footage? Maybe it's good for a quick last stock kill if you follow the footstool with a fast-fall dair...

Top Bottom