• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Essentially, I decided to make this thread to cut down on the spam on these boards. Essentially, post here before you make a topic asking a question that can be answered quickly by a user here. This can be a question from what is your favorite color of Falcon (not recommended but better than making an entire thread) to a new strategy that will likely be recommended to make a new thread about.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
CF is seen as bad simply because he IS bad. The majority of his moves are completely out-prioritized by the rest of the cast. Many of his moves also have terrible startup and endup lags. The only thing he's got going for him are his jabs and some of his aerials. His moves are just... hard to find good uses for in the heat of battle.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Enjoy your sticky.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
ok, heres a question

Yesterday in a friendly with a random Marth, A knee traded hits with the tip his aerial shieldbreaker

wtf happened?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
ok, heres a question

Yesterday in a friendly with a random Marth, A knee traded hits with the tip his aerial shieldbreaker

wtf happened?
In the air, there is no aerial priority. Only which hit hits first is the one that has the higher priority. So if both hits hit at the same time, then you will trade hits, not have them cancel out. So essentially, both hits hit at the same time.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
In the air, there is no aerial priority. Only which hit hits first is the one that has the higher priority. So if both hits hit at the same time, then you will trade hits, not have them cancel out. So essentially, both hits hit at the same time.
I knew that, but I wasn't aware you could trade hits with a disjointed hitbox

thanks

TofuToph

Smash Journeyman
I would be happy to do the video thread as well since Lain doesn't love Falcon like I do.
Although his DDD should love my Falcon : )

Iwan

Smash Ace
Was looking around and didn't see a counter pick thread, so thought I'd mention a level I absolutely love counterpicking with falcon.

Japes.

If you DI everything up, you will live FOREVER; Japes has a stupid, ridiculously, questionably (lol) high ceiling. Assuming you DI the right way, including momentum canceling along with proper DI, you can easily live close to 200 percent on every stock. The un-even platforms allow you to avoid projectile spam and camping pretty well.

Also, aerial raptor boosting from either of the outer platforms back towards the center is safe as long as you don't...er....act stupid with it. lol. But essentially, if you think someone's going to jump approach you while on either of the outer platforms, raptor boost their aerial approach; you'll either spike them into the water or float by them and land in the middle with enough time to recover after the landing lag.

One last thing: The Clap Trap (the fish who spikes if you get hit by it in the water) is NOT RANDOM. The Clap Trap, or as peach mains like to call him, clappy ;)...runs on a 10 second timer. So for example, if you see the Clap Trap swim under the right platform at the 6:34 mark in a match, keep track in your head; the Clap Trap will come back around every ten seconds, at 6:24, 6:14, 6:04, etc....

Word of advice: Other characters are very good on this stage. Falco for obvious reasons, Link and Toon link (although against Toon Link all of his vertical killing moves are almost moot due to the high ceiling), Peach (yep ;)), and snake (never dies on this stage and his explosives are almost invisible on the platforms). Take note though: You can survive being spiked into the water as long as you time your jump right. The timing isn't too bad, just pracitce.

So, long CP rant aside (lulz :p), I think this is a good stage for Falcon. Someone let me know if I'm completely wrong xD....I haven't been around these parts for a little while :p

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I don't think Snake does good on Japes...........like at all

his Utilt is near useless because of the ceiling, and if he touches the water he is D.O.N.E

I think Falcon's best CP is Norfair, seriously platforms allow for AC knees to sweetspot 100% of the time, plus Utilt goes through platforms also.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
Was looking around and didn't see a counter pick thread, so thought I'd mention a level I absolutely love counterpicking with falcon.

Japes.

If you DI everything up, you will live FOREVER; Japes has a stupid, ridiculously, questionably (lol) high ceiling. Assuming you DI the right way, including momentum canceling along with proper DI, you can easily live close to 200 percent on every stock. The un-even platforms allow you to avoid projectile spam and camping pretty well.

Also, aerial raptor boosting from either of the outer platforms back towards the center is safe as long as you don't...er....act stupid with it. lol. But essentially, if you think someone's going to jump approach you while on either of the outer platforms, raptor boost their aerial approach; you'll either spike them into the water or float by them and land in the middle with enough time to recover after the landing lag.

One last thing: The Clap Trap (the fish who spikes if you get hit by it in the water) is NOT RANDOM. The Clap Trap, or as peach mains like to call him, clappy ;)...runs on a 10 second timer. So for example, if you see the Clap Trap swim under the right platform at the 6:34 mark in a match, keep track in your head; the Clap Trap will come back around every ten seconds, at 6:24, 6:14, 6:04, etc....

Word of advice: Other characters are very good on this stage. Falco for obvious reasons, Link and Toon link (although against Toon Link all of his vertical killing moves are almost moot due to the high ceiling), Peach (yep ;)), and snake (never dies on this stage and his explosives are almost invisible on the platforms). Take note though: You can survive being spiked into the water as long as you time your jump right. The timing isn't too bad, just pracitce.

So, long CP rant aside (lulz :p), I think this is a good stage for Falcon. Someone let me know if I'm completely wrong xD....I haven't been around these parts for a little while :p
a counterpick guide is neear the bottem
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198565
can i quote this for the tips part of jungle japes, credits will be given

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I don't think Snake does good on Japes...........like at all

his Utilt is near useless because of the ceiling, and if he touches the water he is D.O.N.E

I think Falcon's best CP is Norfair, seriously platforms allow for AC knees to sweetspot 100% of the time, plus Utilt goes through platforms also.
how dare you forget Uair:laugh:

illinialex24

Smash Hero

Japes.

But he dies very very easily off the side.

nonamedn00b

Smash Cadet
It's a mistake by the game engine for sure, i can't combo two kicks and they takes less time in between.

I need an answer, why is it that when I knee, there are three different results, the painful strong knee we all love, the knee that does 6 damage, and the knee that does three damage, is it just timing or where i hit the person or what part of the knee hits the person?

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Yeah it's all timing.
I think it's considered a sex kick, so yeah, there's the sweet knee, normal knee and extended hit knee =)
I hate it when it hits backwards because I can't do anything about it =.="

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah it's all timing.
I think it's considered a sex kick, so yeah, there's the sweet knee, normal knee and extended hit knee =)
You have it right on the money. The sec-kick gets weaker the longer its out, it has two weakened phases. This is unfortunately unlike Dr. Mario in melee, who had a stronger sex-kick than regular move for one of his attacks, so it was very useful in his gameplay.

SecretofMana

Smash Cadet
Quick question: TKONTK's latest post in his Falcon Findings thread has a combo that reads something like this: SHAC Knee Trip->FC->LC(->FS).
I get all of the terms there except for FC. What does that stand for? Falcon Kick misspelled?

Zeallyx

Quick question: TKONTK's latest post in his Falcon Findings thread has a combo that reads something like this: SHAC Knee Trip->FC->LC(->FS).
I get all of the terms there except for FC. What does that stand for? Falcon Kick misspelled?
darn you are right..
it should be FK..

how could we not have seen this before..

Edit: I changed the 'FC' into 'FK' everywhere I could find the mistake
but somehow, FC looks right..

I feel really stupid now

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's all timing.
Do me a favour that will benefit you too, go to training mode > Captain Falcon > Any Training dummy > Set your training speed to 1/4 and now do a knee in mid air. You should notice that Captain Falcon will shake (resembling him being electricuted) during the last few frames and in these shaking frames is his sweetspot or zap as I like to call it. Now if you could get the 'last few frames' timing on your training dummy then your all set! ONE MORE THING, what's very important is Captain Falcon's spacing. I can't just go close up on my opponent and do a knee other wise it's not garunteed to zap, it may happen a few times but you need to have a small gap between your dummy/opponent that the knee's zap frames will make contact with.

Zeallyx

Lol thats why I was confused. I couldn't think of a FC in his moveset.....
ah I see

I've made this mistake so many times >.< the falcon kick>ledge cancel possibillity thread is full of 'FC' that need to be 'FK'

darnit, that's going to take alot of time to fix..

SecretofMana

Smash Cadet
Ctrl + F on most if not all web browsers(well not command prompt ones) is a key combo that will bring up a find pop-up where you can type in what you want to search for on a page. Using this in combination with editing a post, you simply find the parts in your post where you used FC, press delete, and type FK, made much easier by Find.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ctrl + F on most if not all web browsers(well not command prompt ones) is a key combo that will bring up a find pop-up where you can type in what you want to search for on a page. Using this in combination with editing a post, you simply find the parts in your post where you used FC, press delete, and type FK, made much easier by Find.
I thought everyone knew that.......

Zeallyx

thanks alot :D
I thought everyone knew that.......
and so you learn something new everyday

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Do me a favour that will benefit you too, go to training mode > Captain Falcon > Any Training dummy > Set your training speed to 1/4 and now do a knee in mid air. You should notice that Captain Falcon will shake (resembling him being electricuted) during the last few frames and in these shaking frames is his sweetspot or zap as I like to call it. Now if you could get the 'last few frames' timing on your training dummy then your all set! ONE MORE THING, what's very important is Captain Falcon's spacing. I can't just go close up on my opponent and do a knee other wise it's not garunteed to zap, it may happen a few times but you need to have a small gap between your dummy/opponent that the knee's zap frames will make contact with.
Last few frames? =O
I thought the knee was like the FIRST few frames...
Oh dear me =(

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Last few frames? =O
I thought the knee was like the FIRST few frames...
Oh dear me =(
Nope, I have proven it by training in slow mode, I'm not trying to flame you or anything. Just helping you out! I have trouble with the knee too... But with distance and timing I could perform the zap, I remember doing it 4 times in a row in a tourney (on a kirby player, it was really fun :))

Top Bottom