• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Samus Player in the Country.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Everyone criticizing Duck for a *few* missed edgeguards vs S2J and Lovage need to realize that his solid edgeguarding is a huge reason why he made it that far in the first place. While housing Johnny, Oscar, and SFAT after the tourney, they *all* said that Duck's edgeguarding is on par with Hugo's. Michigan and the Midwest has known this for months, and I'm glad others know now as well.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
It's really unfortunate he wasn't able to show that stellar edgeguarding. I heard he has never been in a situation like he was in at big house. Where such a huge crowd of people were cheering him on at and off the venue, so nerves coulda played a role.

I'm expecting to see lots of stuff from duck, personally I already knew he was good from the times I went to MI but he just went on a train at that tourney lol

:phone:

D

Deleted member

watch duck vs sfat and tell me his edgeguarding is bad rofl

===

also, regarding me vs duck, he played extremely well, i beat him 3-1 though and if it went to 5th match i think my ghey counterpick stage would have sealed the deal anyways

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Tink vs you was mad close too S2J. I didn't expect it to be that close, but Tink is sooo smart and really good. He earned alot of respect in my opinion right there.

Midwest is legit. Duck, Dart, Tink, Kels, and MattR are all amazing players.

strawhats

Smash Master
maybe regional crews can return

I want a south crew dang it LOL
pp
hbox
Chillin
Azen
Tope
Colbol
Plup
linguini
RockCrock
vist

Substitutes: lozr, Everlasting yay, Rayku, Druggedfox, $Mike's falcon (love this falcon)

Damn...it grieves me not being able to put shiz's name on that list anymore...lambchops too.

also some really good up and coming samuses in duck and plup

Corigames

Smash Hero
Best Samus?
Workin on that. I'll get back to you later. As for right now, I don't care who does it, but someone needs to make Samus S-tier unstoppable for a good year or so.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't think he's been there a month yet lol. I played with Linguini a few days ago in NC(he was visiting for family reasons) and he told me Chops came back and they played already.

I think I also saw Chops post it on FB.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i'll upset some ppl with DK
if i can make it to a goddman regional one of these days.
:/

yeah wes WHAT i can put titles too rep the W.C. YEAAAHHH

Samus only tournament

winner represents their region

region of winning samus is best region in America

lets do this
this doesn't just include samus mains, guys, let's do this!

hugs: bra, 'we all know' you're the best, no other samus (main) has even close to your tournament record. but we do like to discuss the potential we see in others nameen - lighten up, will ya?
always used to wish i could friendly you at a tourney someday... never got to. even had a couple dreams (nightmares) about it, dang. you and m2k. i finally played him though. i remember i got a 'wtf moment' from him on marth's counter with samus' foot hitbox on her uair. yeahhh /samus represent.

ihsb: blondes? what is this? nice picture btw, very accurate... could have made it a bit bigger though, it was kind of drowned out by those big circl- when are you going to finish that combo video of yours? finish it, i dair er... **** it.

plup: i watched half of one of your videos (against fox), i liked your style already, i'd care to see more.

/love this thread.

p.s. there's plenty of untapped potential with samus. we never did quite explore this option now, did we? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlLl3L8s2BI
double wof, wtf??

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
ihsb: blondes? what is this? nice picture btw, very accurate... could have made it a bit bigger though, it was kind of drowned out by those big circl- when are you going to finish that combo video of yours? finish it, i dair er... **** it.
I guess "had" would be more accurate. Oh well, I'll change it back at some point.
Probably never on the combo vid. I'm so lazy.
But the avatar needs changing, and that's easy, so good call.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Extenderrrrrrrr

Anyone see either extender or swd used efficiently in competitive play before? I only recall seeing it in videos prior to like 2004 without very good results lol.

Violence

Smash Lord
I think the person with the highest consistency I've seen with it is Edgeluca from BC.

SWD is a frame perfect action, telegraphed and has a low potential for reward even if hit properly.

Just a few days ago, in friendlies, after taking a stock off of Lovage, I dash danced a bit, already had my shot and went for an SWD. Hit it, Oscar knees me out of it.

SWD is pretty terrible, I think the only time I would recommend using it is in certain situations in doubles.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Extender is much more useful than SWD. The only viable use of SWD I've seen is as a way to mix up your positioning as your opponent is respawning. It could even be considered an ambiguous mix-up in this regard.

The extender, however, bears only advantages over normal grabs. It's minimum start-up time is equal to any other grab, as is its cooldown. But it negates the efficacy of dodging/teching mix-ups by homing in on your opponent, and allowing you full control over the activation of the grab hitbox. In a tech situation, it literally creates a 50/50 mix-up for Samus between grabbing to auto-chase techs, or dtilt/fsmash/whatever to punish missed techs. Mixing it into her pressure game gives her more range on grabs, and the ability to punish reaction dodges. And obviously, it can catch players unawares if they're staying too grounded while below Samus, although this is more of a pattern-recognition-dependent use.

All in all, I think Samus mains should be more willing to take the time to find openings to set up the extender, and learn how to apply it. It's not a hard option to activate, and I think it's well worth the time commitment.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
The one disadvantage of the extender over the normal grab is that it cannot grab out of the air. Not that this is a particularly common thing, but if I get a downair on space animal at 50%+ percent, I'm going to want my free grab -> uthrow -> charge shot dammit.

Corigames

Smash Hero
JC Extenderrrr
Use it on Mute City. Watch it home in on Sheik's UpB. It removes limescale, blood, and urine stains.

In doubles, when it gets down to that 2v1 part, use the homing on the extender to make sure you are going to grab the right person instead of accidentally grabbing your teammate. Works well if you aren't an idiot : )

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Is approaching with something like shffm->swd->tilt/smash from like across fd really that bad though? I'd imagine, on fd especially, it being pretty useful compared to the extenderrr.

All in all, I think Samus mains should be more willing to take the time to find openings to set up the extender, and learn how to apply it. It's not a hard option to activate, and I think it's well worth the time commitment.
Where's that video of the samus extendering dk on fd over and over again... lol. edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYADlT-D9-8&t=79

Can most Samus players SWD without any mistakes?
We actually mess up on the WDOoS more than the SWD nowadays
no not really, no
. Some people have the feeling down really well, the muscle memory - but even then, there's usually a chance to fail.

It's probably slightly more precise for us than consistently powershielding? Probably depends on who you ask there...

Strife

Banned via Warnings
spaceballs is the future. I believe.

He just need to LEARN TO BEAT IORI
IHSB himself has said that he isn't the future of Samus. And sadly I agree with him. I really hope both Duck and Pulp go to Apex. I think they could accomplish a lot.

Top Bottom