• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Character Under Perfect Conditions

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't matter.

The "perfect player matchup" is a paradox, since neither would ever hit or take hits. The other is always one step ahead of the other, who is in turn one step ahead of his opponent, ad infinitum.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Something has already occured because of thinking like this. The Olimar Baords, led by Atomsk and Mew2King are considering Olimar vs Meta Knight 55:45. They're reasoning is very sound and there are a few videos up.

Would you have to kill the ones on your head before I repluck? That means you open yourself up first. If I REALLY felt in danger, which I doubt would ever happen, I'd call them back with a Whistle only to rehurl them.
I no longer trust Mew2King's opinions when it comes to such things, primarily because he has proven himself to be extremely biased in the past when it comes to anything involving Meta Knight.

He himself has repeatedly stated in the past that he does not care for Brawl and he only plays for the money. He has also said very early on, before anyone cared, that he chose Meta Knight just so he could ***** him out to win tournies. That alone make me question what he says.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Well Melee had AR to see how perfect character play would look. IIRC, it was said that in Melee, perfect gameplay would boil down to Bowser and Fox ledgestalling while everyone else is trash.

Can any hacking devices do for Brawl what SuperDoodleMan and AR did for Melee?

PS: MK. Infinite Dimensional Cape.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
What kr3wman and BurningCrusader said (sorta). If you were playing perfectly nobody would use an attack that could possibly be punished. Lets say 1 frame reaction time + 2 frames for shield to go up (right?) means anything 3 frames or over can be PS'ed and punished on ground, and nobody would be in the air because of either range issues or proper retreating issues so they'd all get punished if their opponent stayed on the ground. Ledges generally leave you vulnerable, but I'm not so sure on that one. Only one frame attacks I know of are on squirtle and ZSS, so they should probably be candidates, along with characters that have attacks that come out on frame 2, but killing is still an issue...

Excellence

Smash Champion
It wouldn't matter.

The "perfect player matchup" is a paradox, since neither would ever hit or take hits. The other is always one step ahead of the other, who is in turn one step ahead of his opponent, ad infinitum.
*Bursts into flames.*

I no longer trust Mew2King's opinions when it comes to such things, primarily because he has proven himself to be extremely biased in the past when it comes to anything involving Meta Knight.

He himself has repeatedly stated in the past that he does not care for Brawl and he only plays for the money. He has also said very early on, before anyone cared, that he chose Meta Knight just so he could ***** him out to win tournies. That alone make me question what he says.
You can test the theory for yourself because it does work very well. Disreguard any of his 'opinions' and look at only the facts stated in the thread.

If you're going to be playing only for the money, you need to have knowledge of your opponent.

Excellence

Smash Champion
What kr3wman and BurningCrusader said (sorta). If you were playing perfectly nobody would use an attack that could possibly be punished. Lets say 1 frame reaction time + 2 frames for shield to go up (right?) means anything 3 frames or over can be PS'ed and punished on ground, and nobody would be in the air because of either range issues or proper retreating issues so they'd all get punished if their opponent stayed on the ground. Ledges generally leave you vulnerable, but I'm not so sure on that one. Only one frame attacks I know of are on squirtle and ZSS, so they should probably be candidates, along with characters that have attacks that come out on frame 2, but killing is still an issue...
I didn't read your whole post. Sorry, I was in a hurry to post. But let's say two people are playing under perfect conditions, some characters are better than others. Just because you know something doesn't mean you have the tools to deal with it. If both players are playing to the highest degree, then the match-up is no longer base on the players themselves but the tools they have.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I didn't read your whole post. Sorry, I was in a hurry to post. But let's say two people are playing under perfect conditions, some characters are better than others. Just because you know something doesn't mean you have the tools to deal with it. If both players are playing to the highest degree, then the match-up is no longer base on the players themselves but the tools they have.
Isn't that the definition of a Tier list?

MK then. Still, it's a pointless thread because debating on things that will never happen is stupid. I don't care about hypothetical situations since debates are about facts on paper and facts on the field.

XienZo

Smash Lord
You forgot Rob lasering you from the other side of FD isn't punishable in 3 frames.

Campers>>>>>>>>>>Melee in this perfect play; projectiles often have no risk while even retreating melee aerials can be punished.

Also, I believe the easiest way to imagine this would be if Brawl became a turn based game, but the turns wouldn't be every move or every step.

Each turn is 1 frame.

Your possible moves are:
Hit A
Hit B
Input Shield
Input Jump
Tilt control Stick
Smash control stick
Input Crouch
and so on, including combinations of those.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Isn't that the definition of a Tier list?

MK then. Still, it's a pointless thread because debating on things that will never happen is stupid. I don't care about hypothetical situations since debates are about facts on paper and facts on the field.
True, that's what a tier list is. But as you can see from the Olimar boards, certain tools are only benifical under certain conditions which cannot normally be met, like perfect conditions, which is why we ask these hyptheticals.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I vote IC in the case that they have super-human abilities and can act and react frame by frame, the desynced strategies would be complete madness and one grab would equal a stock.

If you incorporate the Mike Haze strategy against IC's then maybe MK would take top.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
its either MK or wolf. they have a moves (IDC and shine) that makes them invincible, and since thier invincible, you cant hit them, so its automatically their win or tie >_>

Levitas

the moon
Projectiles don't come out on frame 2. Defensive play in brawl is superior to aggressive with a 0 reflex, so nobody approaches the opponent, and nobody gets hit ever.

Congrats, it's a draw on most characters.

Coney

Smash Master
DDD is a fgt. Other than him, MK, and very occasionally Marth, though, nobody really should be outright gimping Lucario. :\
My Mario does it all the time to a few Lucarios in my group...though to be fair, they aren't top-level Lucarios :X

And Marth? Seriously?

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this would beat everything else... *sigh* Meta wins again.
not really. there is wolf's shine, which does similar things. however, if IDC and shine were banned, ICs were have a good chance at being great. there would be awesome desync combo plus a awesome grab game.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Mario since his cape goes through invincibility frames plus all the other things Mario can do with the cape, his Up B is fast, high-priority, and has an invincible startup, FLUDD is completely unaffected by priority and can affect disjointed hitboxes with FIHL, and Mario's juggles can very quickly rack up dmg. Mario idealy can get a free stock on anyone who's forced to either sweetspot or use a move the puts them into helpless. Ideally Mario can not be directly atked because of his Up B, and ideally he cannot be atked from a distance due to the FLUDD and cape. Ideally, Mario edge control/camping makes him completely invincible.

DDD is a fgt. Other than him, MK, and very occasionally Marth, though, nobody really should be outright gimping Lucario. :\
Mario can cape Lucario, plus FIHL stops all of Lucario's atks. Also, it seems that cape teleportation can be done to everyone just it's harder to time on some characters than others.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I'd like to bring to your attention that anyone with a good projectile (Olimar, Fox, Falco) could easily handle Lucario because they'd never have to deal with any of his priority.
The thing is that even if the game ran on 1 frame, the moves themselves would still have the given starting lag, the lazers would be just as ineffective because of the superhuman reflexes to jump, backdodge, or otherwise get past the projectiles

Shut up. I'm not even thrilled enough to give you an explination to the multiple levels of 'wrong' your contending on.
Here is some better advice, you shut up. It is fact that MK is the 'best' character, he wins more times then any character. How would this fact change by adding a perfect host controling him?

You approach me to SH Nair and I'll hurl a Pikmin at you then run away and pivot grab. If you stand, then Nair, I'll runaway and pivot grab. If you're rising using Up B then I'll just runaway, shield, then probably FSmash you away during Nairs. For R.O.B.'s Nair to hit Olimar as he's running, Olimar would have to start running way too late or he's way to close to you in the first place. Remember, as soon as you jump, I run. You've got to jump and then go through that momentary start-up lag on Nair before your move actually manifests.
Those Godly Pikmen of yours can be killed by the Nair, problem one solved.
Problem 2 is solved by keeping in the air, Olimar's grab may be the best for people on the ground, however, jumping over the grab is just as easy to get around.

Olimar outcamps R.O.B. period. Gyros are not hard to avoid and can be blocked with Pikmin spam. Lasers get predictable, seriously. I hope you aren't on those R.O.B.s who lasers than immediately Gyros or vise-versa. R.O.B. is forced to approach Olimar and put himself out of his comfort zone. So if running away becomes too redundant because of your camping, then he can just camp back and force you start chasing him again.
Olimar does outcamp Rob. however, thanks to Rob's great air game, Olimar isn't the perfect canidate.

The Olimars your playing probably need a little more practice because R.O.B. can't always be played like other characters, reguardless of what you call yourself doing. Either that or you know your opponents way too well and they're cripple against you from the start.

I would like to put out there that simply timing your Nairs well can grab Diddy's Bananas out of the air. I don't know how many times I've done that with Marth without even trying.
As well as Olimar, he cannot play like Marth, Mario, or Snake. What's your point?
Another thing, people can have skill rather those that they play against suck.

Somthing I can agree on, Diddy wouldn't be the 'perfect' character either.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
And what are the tools?
The characters themselves!

Who is the highest ranked Character?
Thats right! METAKNIGHT!

So, inconclusion MK would be the 'Perfect' character.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Metaknight would not be able to FAir, BAir, Ftilt, Dtilt chain, UAir Chain, or combo at all because of the perfect DI. Perfect smash DI and perfect shielding aerials and all one-hit attacks means that the game degenerates into guessing whether Wolf/Marth/MK will Shine/Dolphin Slash/Shuttle Loop on Frame X, or X+1. It becomes a game of camp, then Rock-Paper-Scissors.
Olimar is the best at the camp, so he's top tier.
Wolf is okay at camp, but great at RPS.
Marth can't camp, but is very good at RPS.
MK is the same as Marth, but a little less risky on the RPS.

So it comes down to Olimar, Wolf, and MK. IC could be a candidate because of the immunity to punishing by perfect shield. A perfect shield against the IC would result in constant pressure through desynching and then a grab to stock loss.

Olimar, Wolf, MK, and IC. Olimar only because of the perfect camp. The others would depend on who guessed right.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Metaknight would not be able to FAir, BAir, Ftilt, Dtilt chain, UAir Chain, or combo at all because of the perfect DI. Perfect smash DI and perfect shielding aerials and all one-hit attacks means that the game degenerates into guessing whether Wolf/Marth/MK will Shine/Dolphin Slash/Shuttle Loop on Frame X, or X+1. It becomes a game of camp, then Rock-Paper-Scissors.

So it comes down to Olimar, Wolf, and MK. IC could be a candidate because of the immunity to punishing by perfect shield. A perfect shield against the IC would result in constant pressure through desynching and then a grab to stock loss.

Olimar, Wolf, MK, and IC. Olimar only because of the perfect camp. The others would depend on who guessed right.
It's a unwinnable game then.
Olimar can throw pikman at point a to b, but it will eiher never reach or hit MK, and MK wouldn't approach.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Olimar can throw pikman at point a to b, but it will eiher never reach or hit MK, and MK wouldn't approach.
why cant it hit MK? unless its hyrule temple and MK's running/flying around, pikmin are probably gonna hit if olimars pikmin spamming.

and on topic, i think wolf. it was tie between wolf and MK, but just realized wolf has less lag time after his shine, so he can react faster, thus making him INVINCIBLE :laugh:

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Pearl Floatzel;

Olimar's perfect camp does not apply to all characters. Pretty much only works on characters that are forced to approach him and do not have a projectile. The idea of the perfect camp came up as a counter to Metaknight, who always approaches and doesn't have a projectile.

Olimar cannot camp Wolf, for example, at all.

Excellence

Smash Champion
The thing is that even if the game ran on 1 frame, the moves themselves would still have the given starting lag, the lazers would be just as ineffective because of the superhuman reflexes to jump, backdodge, or otherwise get past the projectiles
Right, so I guess you're going to complete ignore the fact that the game itself has limits. Reguardless of your reflexes, you cannot dodge everything because your character is unable to. Let's not forget this game also has a "trip" function which will slip anyone up. Your argument is lost and it's not worth debating anymore.

Here is some better advice, you shut up. It is fact that MK is the 'best' character, he wins more times then any character. How would this fact change by adding a perfect host controling him?
Why is Meta Knight the best character? Are you slob who just listens to what's posted without actually testing or are you someone, like myself, who tests things to be sure the accurate? Meta Knight is the best because of the tools he has given the situations he's put in. This is why some characters are harder to learn that others because their tools are not as easily recognized and require a greater degree of skill to use correct and gain advantage from them. Why don't you look at Snake for an example of such a character. When a Snake player wins, he deserves it.

Those Godly Pikmen of yours can be killed by the Nair, problem one solved.
Problem 2 is solved by keeping in the air, Olimar's grab may be the best for people on the ground, however, jumping over the grab is just as easy to get around.
You obviously don't main R.O.B., or Olimar, and if you do you obviously suck at them because this is completely incorrect. Nair off my Pikmin and you'll get hit with 40-52% of damage from a grab combo.

I'd like to see you try and jump into my scope of ground, I'll pivot grab your *** into oblivion and taunt, "Get your facts straight!"

Olimar does outcamp Rob. however, thanks to Rob's great air game, Olimar isn't the perfect canidate.
This battle should never take place in the air, a good Olimar will make sure of that. The only thing R.O.B. can juggle Olimar with would be Fair which should be Whistled and punished. Anything else has too much knockback or lags before it actually comes out (Bair and Nair), anything else is too impractical to consider all that useful.

As well as Olimar, he cannot play like Marth, Mario, or Snake. What's your point?
Another thing, people can have skill rather those that they play against suck.

Somthing I can agree on, Diddy wouldn't be the 'perfect' character either.
Don't quote me unless you grasp what the hell I'm putting out there. R.O.B. is a character who has to be played against different by Olimar. All other characters can be played the same and you'll get just about the same results. At the current highest level of play for Olimar, called perfect camping, you will yield the same results no matter who you use it against - a win, except R.O.B., you have to play him differently.

If you don't know a character, I suggest you keep your face away from the debates reguarding them because you sound too stupid.

Excellence

Smash Champion
And what are the tools?
The characters themselves!

Who is the highest ranked Character?
Thats right! METAKNIGHT!

So, inconclusion MK would be the 'Perfect' character.
Please don't be a heroic smart ***, because you're becoming more irritating by the word. The tools a character has are: Spacing, zoning, mobility, and kill potential. Why else would Snake and Marth be even when Snake clearly has more options?

Please shut up, your argument is dead and I don't stay in a topic longer than I have interest. If you'd like me to continue to post, PM me and I'll return.

XienZo

Smash Lord
You forgot to set Point b at MK silly.
Of course the pikmin wouldn't reach them if Olimar was throwing them off the edge.

Again. INFINITE DIMENSIONAL CAPE!

Never ending waiting game with MK at the advantage.
Its like, banned.

Besides, you could be like Lucario and detect MK using his aura.

Nitrix

Smash Ace

You are forgetting Diddy. Diddy can punish regardless of perfect DI due to his bananas. He can punish every character and still have the advantage of DI-ing. Diddy is the best when played perfectly.

cutter

Smash Champion
This is a completely pointless thread.

All Meta Knight has to do is get just one hit in with something like a Dtilt and then Infinite Cape.

Game over.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Right, so I guess you're going to complete ignore the fact that the game itself has limits. Reguardless of your reflexes, you cannot dodge everything because your character is unable to. Let's not forget this game also has a "trip" function which will slip anyone up. Your argument is lost and it's not worth debating anymore.

So, basically you are saying that your character is just as likely to slip up too. The game is flawed, however the characters are not. If every character has the same likely chance to slipup and then the hosts are perfect, then what else can be considered than the absolute characters? Do you think you can grab everything at every given time? No, you can't, so basically Olimar is just at a disadvantage as MK

Why is Meta Knight the best character? Are you slob who just listens to what's posted without actually testing or are you someone, like myself, who tests things to be sure the accurate? Meta Knight is the best because of the tools he has given the situations he's put in. This is why some characters are harder to learn that others because their tools are not as easily recognized and require a greater degree of skill to use correct and gain advantage from them. Why don't you look at Snake for an example of such a character. When a Snake player wins, he deserves it.

Why is MK the 'Best'?
Me personally I believe Marth and Kirby is the 'best', however, statistics and game winnings show that a person that uses MK has a greater chance of winning. Why? Just like you said, some characters are easier to learn then others. MK is the easiest. Giving him an advantage of being the 'best'.

You obviously don't main R.O.B., or Olimar, and if you do you obviously suck at them because this is completely incorrect. Nair off my Pikmin and you'll get hit with 40-52% of damage from a grab combo.

Nope, but I know that after that Nair, one can jump or take a evasive action.

I'd like to see you try and jump into my scope of ground, I'll pivot grab your *** into oblivion and taunt, "Get your facts straight!"

Backdodge Dsmash if MK.

This battle should never take place in the air, a good Olimar will make sure of that. The only thing R.O.B. can juggle Olimar with would be Fair which should be Whistled and punished. Anything else has too much knockback or lags before it actually comes out (Bair and Nair), anything else is too impractical to consider all that useful.

And yet you still underestimate the other person, which is in this case, perfect.
Wistling, has lag, and can also be punished. while Rob's Fair is quick and has low lag. If you constantly Whistle all the time if Rob does a Fair, then how will you hurt Rob?

Don't quote me unless you grasp what the hell I'm putting out there. R.O.B. is a character who has to be played against different by Olimar. All other characters can be played the same and you'll get just about the same results. At the current highest level of play for Olimar, called perfect camping, you will yield the same results no matter who you use it against - a win, except R.O.B., you have to play him differently.

Tell me is Yoshi the same as Olimar? No, so can Rob play the same with way with Yoshi as it does with Olimar? No, just as Rob cannot play the same against Marth or Mk.

If you don't know a character, I suggest you keep your face away from the debates reguarding them because you sound too stupid.
Within a game there are patterns, algorythims, and basic princibles that can be done, by using these keys. I can fully understand how to react to a given situation.

XienZo

Smash Lord
You are forgetting Diddy. Diddy can punish regardless of perfect DI due to his bananas. He changes the game.
Can't a character catch all the bananas?

Within a game there are patterns, algorythims, and basic princibles that can be done, by using these keys. I can fully understand how to react to a given situation.
Duh, its just that Olimars have better patterns and stuff.

I mean, now, Brawl becomes like chess.

And not every move chess players make lets them be punished...

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Duh, its just that Olimars have better patterns and stuff.

I mean, now, Brawl becomes like chess.

And not every move chess players make lets them be punished...
Well, Melee was just a faster pace of chess.
But, yes, Olimar is a good chracter, I am not saying that he isn't good, but in this thread it is about being perfect. I believe that MK would be the 'Perfect' character given perfect conditions.

Of course, Such as the Bishop, one alone is worthless, but with two bishops it can be a deadly combination with a rook.

Olimar has pieces of Rooks and bishops.

While MK has Queens and bishops.

One is easier to play with, and by giving a perfect mind with the game, who will win?
But there is such thing as luck, Lets say Olimar and MK did fight, and Olimar won.
There was a certain condition that the person playing Olimar somehow got to win.
It is the person playing, but if the persons are perfect, then its the character.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Its like, banned.

Besides, you could be like Lucario and detect MK using his aura.
It's banned for stalling, but a perfect condition character face off would devoid to stalling, so what does it matter?

I even had a rule for getting IDC unbanned, but am keeping it quiet until the "Ban MK" business blows over (IF it blows over).

XienZo

Smash Lord
Well, Melee was just a faster pace of chess.
But, yes, Olimar is a good chracter, I am not saying that he isn't good, but in this thread it is about being perfect. I believe that MK would be the 'Perfect' character given perfect conditions.

Of course, Such as the Bishop, one alone is worthless, but with two bishops it can be a deadly combination with a rook.

Olimar has pieces of Rooks and bishops.

While MK has Queens and bishops.
Nah, the two wouldn't have any common pieces, they're completely different.

MK has a Queen (and maybe a rook)

Olimar has pawns that can be respawned.

The two fight in completely different ways;

MK uses lack of lag and quick speed

Olimar sends distracting pieces that can be destroyed, but often in actuality, set up into a trap.

So MK can attack quickly and mercilessly, but Olimar can direct how he is attacked so MK falls into a trap.

It's banned for stalling, but a perfect condition character face off would devoid to stalling, so what does it matter?

I even had a rule for getting IDC unbanned, but am keeping it quiet until the "Ban MK" business blows over (IF it blows over).
Cuz our camping is legit and it misleads the opponent into thinking they have a chance, so they fight until they lose.

If you IDC, its telegraphed that the other guy loses, so he bashes you in the face with the controller.

See, its psychology and mindgames.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
My vote is for Pikachu.If someone can perfect QAC anyway he/she wants then that is win.Unless the wolf/mk gayness comes into play.

Top Bottom