• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Character Under Perfect Conditions

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers, probably. If it was superhuman (Or even supercomputer) DI against superhuman chaingrabbing, CG would win. Add that to make Olimar even better, he can perfectly time his whistle SA.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
getting the first hit and not letting up a lead. you can't defend against wario, so as long as he gets the first hit and keeps thelead, IDC will do nothing
If they are both perfect, neither are going to get a first hit. MK will IDC and wait for an opening, and Wario will wait to PS the attack. Endless stalemate...

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I don't think this kind of topic is possible. If both players are playing perfectly, then the characters wouldn't be able to hit eachother because of perfect spacing, no?

None the less, I'd say Diddy or Ice Climbers would be the best. Perfect banana control or chain grabbing would be unstoppable.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I don't think this kind of topic is possible. If both players are playing perfectly, then the characters wouldn't be able to hit eachother because of perfect spacing, no?

None the less, I'd say Diddy or Ice Climbers would be the best. Perfect banana control or chain grabbing would be unstoppable.
You pretty much hit the nail of the head there, this thread's title should be changed to "The Best Characters at the Highest Level of Play". This thread is either going to end up reflecting the tier list or end up comparing camping strategies, which it already is beginning to do. I honestly think it would make more sense to just list every character's abilities at the highest level of play and just filter out the redundant details afterwards.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Mario can cape Lucario, plus FIHL stops all of Lucario's atks. Also, it seems that cape teleportation can be done to everyone just it's harder to time on some characters than others.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No. You're just so wrong. What is Mario going to cape? Is Mario going to cape Lucario as he floats back to the stage, simply giving Lucario a little aerial boost, while at the same time giving himself a bit of aerial lag, which puts him in prime position for an aerial? Lucario doesn't need Extremespeed to get back. Hell, he rarely needs his double jump to get back from most characters. Mario should never be able to gimp a Lucario unless the Lucario seriously screws up. FIHL won't do crap, because honestly, what the hell is Lucario doing, performing an attacking move when it won't hit? It works on other, worse recoveries maybe, but not on something that can simply float back to the stage on command. :\

TL;DR version: Mario doesn't gimp Lucario.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Well, not perfect but couldn't Pit create a continuous wall of quadruple arrows with perfect accuracy and control?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord

No. You're just so wrong. What is Mario going to cape? Is Mario going to cape Lucario as he floats back to the stage, simply giving Lucario a little aerial boost, while at the same time giving himself a bit of aerial lag, which puts him in prime position for an aerial? Lucario doesn't need Extremespeed to get back. Hell, he rarely needs his double jump to get back from most characters. Mario should never be able to gimp a Lucario unless the Lucario seriously screws up. FIHL won't do crap, because honestly, what the hell is Lucario doing, performing an attacking move when it won't hit? It works on other, worse recoveries maybe, but not on something that can simply float back to the stage on command. :\

If you recover from very high that works but otherwise you're pone to the same kinds of guards Mario uses against any other character. You don't want to ever be forced to use a move that would put you into helpless against Mario. If Lucario is forced to use his Up B, expect to be gimped. Anyway, the cape works on Lucario and I'm not sure what you mean by it giving Lucario an aerial boost. As far as FIHL, it prevents Lucario from stalling with his Dair. FLUDD itself kills your momentum so there's also a good chance you'll be forced to DJ. Mario is also good at edgeguarding with his aerials and he can combine them with the cape glide to quickly atk.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
If you recover from very high that works but otherwise you're pone to the same kinds of guards Mario uses against any other character. You don't want to ever be forced to use a move that would put you into helpless against Mario. If Lucario is forced to use his Up B, expect to be gimped. Anyway, the cape works on Lucario and I'm not sure what you mean by it giving Lucario an aerial boost. As far as the FLUDD, it kills momentum so you would have to at least DJ.
Mario has no moves that can force Lucario to use his Up B. Discussion over. Also, theoretically, Lucario's curving options are infinite, as well as allowing him to completely curve AROUND the edgeguarding Mario, or go straight for the wall instead.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario has no moves that can force Lucario to use his Up B. Discussion over. Also, theoretically, Lucario's curving options are infinite, as well as allowing him to completely curve AROUND the edgeguarding Mario, or go straight for the wall instead.
You must be recovering from like the top corner of the stage then, which seems pretty irrelevant since anyone can do that and recovering from that high is near impossible to gimp with anyone anyway.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Nah, the two wouldn't have any common pieces, they're completely different.

MK has a Queen (and maybe a rook)

Olimar has pawns that can be respawned.

The two fight in completely different ways;

MK uses lack of lag and quick speed

Olimar sends distracting pieces that can be destroyed, but often in actuality, set up into a trap.

So MK can attack quickly and mercilessly, but Olimar can direct how he is attacked so MK falls into a trap.

True, but it is because of the perfect player that MK wont fall in to the traps.

Cuz our camping is legit and it misleads the opponent into thinking they have a chance, so they fight until they lose.

If you IDC, its telegraphed that the other guy loses, so he bashes you in the face with the controller.

See, its psychology and mindgames.
Oh without doubt, the Mindgames has a instant effect. But camping doesn't always work, it is effective, but not a garrenteed win. If you ask me Camping just delays the game. don't get me wrong Olimar and camping is a great thing to do.

But Marth on Marth it just is a slower game to see which one will approach.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yoshi, he can use his pivot grab to stop most attacks. And he can use egg lay for grab armor (this works in the air too) so he can live literally forever if you could time egg lays perfectly.

and CG to spike on like 12 characters, which of course under "perfect conditions" would work every time. IDK

XienZo

Smash Lord
Oh without doubt, the Mindgames has a instant effect. But camping doesn't always work, it is effective, but not a garrenteed win. If you ask me Camping just delays the game. don't get me wrong Olimar and camping is a great thing to do.

But Marth on Marth it just is a slower game to see which one will approach.
Eh, I'm just saying that whenever you go in for a physical attack, you can get punished, which in a perfect match, you often would be, but projectiles have a 0% chane of being punished.

If its Marth vs Marth then of course it wouldn't matter. And then you might actually run into "no character moves because anything would put them at a disadvantage.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Wouldn't this just be a "final tier list" discussion?

The full potential of a character is ultimatly how good a character is when used perfectly. Whether it's a Marth that spaces aerials and grabs perfectly to a Jiggs who plays safe and capitalizes on every chance or a Fox that can't be hit (melee of course). This is what the end game would be essentially.

Olimar, Pikachu, Wolf, ICs, MK, Snake, Diddy and Wario will easily be some of the better characters at that point.

Olimar - Stays away making you go to him, which is what he wants you to do and he'll crush you for it.

Pika - Wouldn't get punished, everything followed up with a quick attack to safety and jolt camping.

Wolf - Shine every dashA, aerial approach, edgeguard, combined with perfect spacing with his mobility.

ICs - Play it safe and don't get touched then double team into grabs, they wont get seperated much.

MK - Incredible wall of spacing and priority with nothing to get punished from, perfect approach.

Snake - Great spacer that can do everything from infinite dthrow to camp to be unapproachable.

Diddy - Wont let anyone get up unpunished when he gets them with anything, too dangerous to chase.

Wario - Will avoid all attacks and strike on opportunity, never getting punished and gimping every time.

That's what will happen eventually. Perfect Conditions come into play over time in everything.

Famous

Smash Champion

Actually, the only only character Mario can't gimp 100% is Peach..(If Your using FLUDD and CAPE)

XienZo

Smash Lord
An interesting fact about caping Extremespeed is that you can input which direction you can go anytime during the startup. Furthermore, if Mario capes Lucario during the startup, Lucario can then input a direction on the frame after he gets caped and he'll still go toward the stage.

Try caping a CPU Lucario's extremespeed. It doesn't work; the CPU always input the command at the very last frame possible, so if you cape him, he'll input which direction to go afterwards, letting him go back to the stage.

Yes, you can cape ES while its curving, but a good Lucario will go around you. Yes, there are limits to how far you can curve it, but you can clearly curve it around the Cape's hitbox with a lot of room to spare.

Flood might be troublesome, but then you wouldn't need to curve.

Actually, the only only character Mario can't gimp 100% is Peach..(If Your using FLUDD and CAPE)
Ironically, those two won't affect the character with the worst recovery, Ivysaur; the tether can latch beyond the range of Fludd or Cape, and can't be pushed back or turned around.

Of course, you can just grab the ledge, but those two alone won't stop Ivysaur.

Staco

Smash Champion
players already try to play perfect and they are close to it
so this thread is crap, I guess

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
An interesting fact about caping Extremespeed is that you can input which direction you can go anytime during the startup. Furthermore, if Mario capes Lucario during the startup, Lucario can then input a direction on the frame after he gets caped and he'll still go toward the stage.

Try caping a CPU Lucario's extremespeed. It doesn't work; the CPU always input the command at the very last frame possible, so if you cape him, he'll input which direction to go afterwards, letting him go back to the stage.

Yes, you can cape ES while its curving, but a good Lucario will go around you. Yes, there are limits to how far you can curve it, but you can clearly curve it around the Cape's hitbox with a lot of room to spare.

Flood might be troublesome, but then you wouldn't need to curve.

Ironically, those two won't affect the character with the worst recovery, Ivysaur; the tether can latch beyond the range of Fludd or Cape, and can't be pushed back or turned around.

Of course, you can just grab the ledge, but those two alone won't stop Ivysaur.
Aiming the FLUDD downwards up a chararter moving upwards forces them up higher which allows Mario to cape Lucario's extremespeed if he's forced to use it in an upwards direction at all. If Lucario goes for a wall cling/jump from his extremespeed, Mario can either go for a stage spike or try to cape Lucario if he thinks his opponent can tech it. Anyway, as far as Ivysaur, Mario can still use the cape glide to atk Ivysaur and badly harass his recovery.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Ivysaur's tether is pretty hax though, its like bigger than half of BF... which is approximently the size of Mario's cape glide, so I'd say its 50:50, and kinda useless when you can just edgehog.

I'm just saying the only part of ES that can be caped is when he's actually moving, and the startup, the easiest to intercept, can't actually be caped due to its physics, regardless of whether or not you can reach it.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ivysaur's tether is pretty hax though, its like bigger than half of BF... which is approximently the size of Mario's cape glide, so I'd say its 50:50, and kinda useless when you can just edgehog.

I'm just saying the only part of ES that can be caped is when he's actually moving, and the startup, the easiest to intercept, can't actually be caped due to its physics, regardless of whether or not you can reach it.
You still use the FLUDD on it, but yah Lucario can make things very complicated. Still, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Mario can't gimp Lucario but a good Lucario can make things tricky.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Please explain to me how Olimar's Pikmin would not reach Meta Knight. You'll have to swat them and get punished, it's a fact.
Olimar cannot throw Pikman across FD. And if Olimar approaches, he has broke the camp.

Metaknight cannot approach because he has only Melee moves.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Please don't be a heroic smart ***, because you're becoming more irritating by the word. The tools a character has are: Spacing, zoning, mobility, and kill potential. Why else would Snake and Marth be even when Snake clearly has more options?

Please shut up, your argument is dead and I don't stay in a topic longer than I have interest. If you'd like me to continue to post, PM me and I'll return.
A character cannot win without actually damaging the other person. Sure zone, and space for moves that would be executed, however, spacing doesn't deal the damage, the attack does.

Spacing is a technique for utilizing the tool to its max.

Ei: Spacing with Marth allows the maximum effectiveness of his Fair.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Olimar cannot throw Pikman across FD. And if Olimar approaches, he has broke the camp.

Metaknight cannot approach because he has only Melee moves.
Ah, but you forget, what if Olimar approaches only a third of the way? You have to think of stuff other than the extremes. Yes, Pikmin can fly at you from 2/3rd of FD away.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Show me a vid of anyone powershielding pikmin throw >_<

No, purples don't count.

Top Bottom