• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Testing gah...

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Heres a new idea i have been thinking about.

There are states that HAVE and do WANT to ban meta but they are afraid it will hurt thier OOS exp. While i agree with this i also find it truly messed up that a broken character(dont argue, he is) is STILL legal even though there are a billion things to merit a ban.

SO!

Here are 3 options. Pease choose the one that you think will make YOU have fun, make the OTHERS around you have fun, and promote a good tournament atmosphere.

OPTION 1.

We ban Metaknight. No questions asked. We get rid of a character that truly is broken. How many times have you beat some ones MAIN but then they switch to meta just so they can beat you? How many metaknights did you see at hobo11? Remember?

OPTION 2.

We leave Metaknight alone.

OPTION 3.

Ban metaknight for tourney play but we all agree to 2nd or 3rd metaknight in friendlies. This will allow for a GOOD TIME at a tournament but also will keep us sharp on metas for when we travel OOS.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Option 3 sounds the best.
if people want to play them in friendlies that's cool (but both people should agree with it)
and as far as tournament goes just ban him.

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
i think yall should leave him alone. yes he is ****ed up but get over it. play better and if u cant go cry about it.

btw is anyone that stay in the sugar land area goin to drink station today?

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
option 3. whenever a big OOS tourney is coming up we should have a smashfest where MK is allowed so we can sharpen up. But yes, ban him for Houston tourneys, hobo 12 was too much fun to play in and to watch. it would help the SBR out more as well.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Why not option 4; alternate? If we really want him banned, switch off...next hobo allow him, hobo after that hes banned, allow him at the next, etc. That way the meta mains get to use their chars, and the people who despise metaknight can still get their tournies without him.

heytallman

CTALL
Why not option 4; alternate? If we really want him banned, switch off...next hobo allow him, hobo after that hes banned, allow him at the next, etc. That way the meta mains get to use their chars, and the people who despise metaknight can still get their tournies without him.
^^^This.

10AGREEINGWITHSETHLONS

Also I'm starting to pick up Brawl online. It's laggy, but I'm starting to enjoy it. Thanks a lot, Fliphop, for getting me interested in it.

kown

Smash Lord

option 4 sounds like a good idea also...but i think texas needs to either ban or unban him..not both since most states will follow our example. Once we ban him other states will definitely follow. Everyone will be like Texas banned mk we should too and eventually hes banned throughout the nation whether sbr wants it or not.

heytallman

CTALL

option 4 sounds like a good idea also...but i think texas needs to either ban or unban him..not both since most states will follow our example. Once we ban him other states will definitely follow. Everyone will be like Texas banned mk we should too and eventually hes banned throughout the nation whether sbr wants it or not.
Kown, by your logic, you should have picked 1. From what you were saying, people would make their decisions based on Texas. If they saw that Texas was allowing MKs for friendlies and stuff, IN ORDER TO PRACTICE UP FOR OOS EVENTS, then they would say "well, we are OOS, so they should be ready for MK since they practiced in friendlies against him."

I say 4 is the best.....THE BEST, THE BEST, THE BEST, THE BEST, THE BEST, THE BEST OF YOU!

Gnes

Smash Master
Sethlon...u mindgamed everyone...including me...

4 it is...if anyone wants to play im super free tommorrow i just got homework to do today guys...gotta get that 3.5 gpa :)

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
for now I'd go option 2 or MAYBE 4

That's because each time I go out of state I'll be out of metaknight practice. :(

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
4 for sure. It was a lot more fun at HOBO12 where he was banned, but
this MK stuff is srs business. With alternation from tourney to tourney
a lot of "theorycraft" will be tested. We can test statements like:

Will one single character be the new MK?
Will character variety increase?
What about counterpick stages?
How will turnout be affected?
Is it more fun for the whole?

People who partake in the MK ban argument will have statements like these put to the test. Now instead of "Oh look if MK is banned this will happen" it will be:
"Hey, we banned MK and these things DID happen"

If we do the Sethlon plan (4), then the MK mains and the anti-ban advocates get their way, the ban advocates are also appeased and most importantly, the people who are neutral about the issue might take a side.

/2cents

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
*votes for Sethlon's* It's like voting for a third party! Well, I guess it would be...fourth party or something like that. :)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Xyro, i like your option 3. We need to make a list of states that will keep MK banned.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I like option four.

I mean, that's what I initially thought we were doing when I heard that HOBO 12 was Meta banned. I assumed the next one would allow him, the one after that would have him banned, the one after that allow ... etc, etc.

Btw I'm picking up Meta lololoololloolol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Option 4 is probably your best bet, but banning him completely is friggin' sweet.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
The SBR hasn't failed anyone, you're blowing things out of proportion and it's starting to seem like you have a gift for that.

Option 2, just like it should be. If I want to be able to play a character I should be able to; although I can understand why people would vote option 4.

JIMBOOOO

Smash Cadet
Well while Sethlon has a very well thought out plan, you mustalso realize that then some people will say "oh looky, Metaknight's banned in this tournament, I just won't show up" or "What do you know, Metaknight players are taking over this tournament, screw it!" and so that will mean less people showing up. But also one could say "Why do you care? It's their loss for not getting the exp." And thus, completly throwing their argument out. But on the other hand, we want to have fun for EVERYBODY, and while Metaknight may be broken, there are people that main as him, and it's unfair for them to have to go to a tournament and not be able to participate because that have a broken character. They could pick up a new character, but it's still not fair for them.

I do like option 3 because those MK players can practice for OOS, but what about in their home state. What can they do then?

How about if you're an MK player then you can have it to where yes, you can use him, but only for one round. OR perhaps if they use him, then the other can have both counterpicks or something like that. Yes it seems unfair to take away someone's options because of their characters, and we don't have to do that, but if you're going to use a God, then limit his power.

Or perhaps you can gather everybody up at the tournament and THEN vote on what to do with MK.

Another option would be that if you use MK, then ban the stages he's very good at (I.E: Luigi's Mansion, ETC.)

Those are just my little thoughts.

JIMBOOOO

Smash Cadet
Sorry for double post, but what about if you have two people going up against each other maining MK? How about you let those two use him then since they're both at the same advantage/disadvantage?

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
They could pick up a new character, but it's still not fair for them.

No, its completely fair. We are using characters that are not Metaknight, so for them to quit Metaknight and pick up another character would be completely fair. Sure, it'd take time, but thats why we have alternating tournaments.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I like option 4 the best. It was fun seeing more character variety, but at the same time I still prefer fighting Meta Knight over some other characters (Like Falco and Olimar).

CY

Smash Ace
LOL @ jimbo randomly posting in this thread. hai guis i has hit a duck the othr dai! :)

infinity i think you would die if MK was banned. :laugh: you're so anti-ban it is quite comical. pick someone else sometimes. -_-

JIMBOOOO

Smash Cadet
*sniff* I only wanted to be awesome, like Sethlon... :urg:

Fine, I'll go with option 3.5, which means you ban MK in one tournament and then the next tournament you can use him in friendlies. There, problem solved.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey, lets ban MK here and then start convincing other states ban him too :D. Then the SBR might listen to us.

Its a pit that on a 3:1 ratio its 3 metaknights: to 1 of any other character :/

-Ran

Smash Master
I suppose the question is going to be [ultimately this situation is going to pop up]

If there are two tournaments that are planning on being 'big' during the same month within relative driving distance of each other, but one of them has Meta Knight banned, which one of them are the better players going to flock to? Obviously, not everyone is able to pull out of state every week to go to every tournament, so which one is going to be worth going to more?

In this situation, players that are in Texas... are they going to be more likely to flock to a MK free tournament, or are they going to go to the one with MK banned? If they are used to an alternating system of Bans on MK, they will most likely lean towards Mk being banned due to knowing that they'll have a harder time in brackets when compared to someone who always plays against an MK. So then where does that leave Texas on a regional scene?

I suppose the even larger question is, since MLG purchased Smash Boards we can undoubtedly assume that they are going to run a major tournament circuit. We can also haphazard to say that they are going to follow the rules that the SBR have put forth, which means MK is going to be in every major Brawl tournament. So, if you wish to do well in the MLG, you need to get all of your MK practice that you can, or else you are going to self gimp your state. =(

PS: Some of you might remember me as one of the first people to actually ban meta knight in a tournament. =p

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
But...but...if you ban Meta, you'll put Roy out of a job. D:

What character will the MK-slayer go after next? :)

Top Bottom