• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Testing gah...

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters

CY

Smash Ace
we need a good, planned smashfest one weekend. we haven't had a big smashfest in awhile. i think beaumont was talking about holding another one awhile back but idk what happened to that plan.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I have read through the convos, but I don't understand one thing. What makes Brawl harder to learn from? It's not that much different. If people started in the beginning of Brawl and played until the next SSB4, they could be as good at someone at the beginning of Brawl (If they started at the beginning of Melee).

Sorry if that is a totally obvious question. If so, just don't answer it......

:$ *Hides in the corner*

kown

Smash Lord
What hes saying is that you wont get 1st or 2nd consistantly unless you go all out meta or have lots of exp in melee.
alrite im happier that u used the word consistently. But lee harris said never. But this is still wrong and i alrdy said why i disprove in an earlier post...this will just keep going in a circle unless u understand the key point im trying to make. You CANNOT tell someone that they wont succeed. Just look at life. The ppl who succeed in life never take no for an answer despite all the crap they take from ppl...if u cant relate to that go watch pursuit of happiness.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I have read through the convos, but I don't understand one thing. What makes Brawl harder to learn from? It's not that much different. If people started in the beginning of Brawl and played until the next SSB4, they could be as good at someone at the beginning of Brawl (If they started at the beginning of Melee).

Sorry if that is a totally obvious question. If so, just don't answer it......

:$ *Hides in the corner*
no no. you have every right to ask questions an comment here. plz feel at home. we want you to be here.

it isnt a matter of playing a game for so long. its the matter of playing MELEE for so long. melee brought tech skill and ridiculous mind games/combos to the smash world. people who are in that mind set and then move on to brawl have already got a MASSIVE advantage over those who have ONLY played brawl.

alrite im happier that u used the word consistently. But lee harris said never. But this is still wrong and i alrdy said why i disprove in an earlier post...this will just keep going in a circle unless u understand the key point im trying to make. You CANNOT tell someone that they wont succeed. Just look at life. The ppl who succeed in life never take no for an answer...if u cant relate to that go watch pursuit of happiness.
now for kown.

kown your trash

but seriously, over the months you have gotten better......ALOT better. But will you reach top 4 consistantly in brawl? Sadly you wont. You have a BRAWL mind(if you will) that plays brawl and its EXTREMELY hard for that to trump a melee minded person who is serious about brawl. Want proof? Look at results. More so than not a melee vet who takes bral serious ends of placing better than those who have only exp brawl.

And be realistic. YOU(or the majority of people of are all brawl) cannot achieve what m2k/azen/royr/dsf/edreese/sethlon do.

and the movie u mentioned is totally off subject. its a sad movie and its sheer chance things worked out for him in the end. Ive said "im not gonna let this beat me" many many times......and guess what.......it didnt work out. plz dont go into life thinking if u try ard enough u will always win. cause u just wont.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Is Melee THAT much more complicated with different technical strategies than Brawl? I didn't find it much different.

I don't think I'm understanding your point.

@PhantomX, I'm thinking of going, but I'm not sure yet.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
People used to make fun of M2K because he tried so hard to be good but was still only decent at best.

Look how that turned out.

Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Hard work can lead to discovered talents. If you accept that you won't ever reach a certain level then you have already made that a reality for yourself. Strive to be the best that you can possibly be, and then strive to improve from there. Every one of you can be as good as Roy_R if you try hard enough. Obviously you need some talent, but knowledge and knowing how and when to apply it can make up for that.

Never give up.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Question. How many people are you guys expecting at the December 6th trny?
Don't expect attendance to be anywhere near Hobo numbers. The timing (near final exams), the location (a small place in Pearland), and lack of funds (Christmas shopping!) will prevent some people from going. That being said, people should go if they have nothing better to do, or if you just REALLY love Houston. :)

heytallman

CTALL
Is Melee THAT much more complicated with different technical strategies than Brawl? I didn't find it much different.

I don't think I'm understanding your point.

@PhantomX, I'm thinking of going, but I'm not sure yet.
Compared with Brawl, Melee is far more technically deep. That's why many people refuse to play Brawl.

For myself, I play a low tier character (and am starting to use a high tier one), and I know I'll never really have a good chance of winning, but I have a hell of a lot of fun when I go to tournaments. And I have improved greatly ever since I actually started practicing. The way I see it, as long as I'm not consistently coming in last or next to last, I'm doing alright by myself. Doing exceptionally well is just a bonus to me. I would not pick up MK for anything. Lucas and ROB are just too dang fun!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
People used to make fun of M2K because he tried so hard to be good but was still only decent at best.

Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Hard work can lead to discovered talents. If you accept that you won't ever reach a certain level then you have already made that a reality for yourself. Strive to be the best that you can possibly be, and then strive to improve from there. Every one of you can be as good as Roy_R if you try hard enough. Obviously you need some talent, but knowledge and knowing how and when to apply it can make up for that.

Never give up.

what hyian speaks of are people who are exceptions to thr rules. realisticly. not every one can be like royr or m2k.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I tried to main MK, but everyone got mad at me! xD So I gave him up, and I didn't know any cool strategies with Lucas, and I tried ROB once and I sucked.

I've definately improved since I began Brawl. I barely improved in Melee, but that was probably because I didn't know about any cool websites like smashboards.

Again, what part of Southwest Texas do you live in Tallman?

heytallman

CTALL
I tried to main MK, but everyone got mad at me! xD So I gave him up, and I didn't know any cool strategies with Lucas, and I tried ROB once and I sucked.

I've definately improved since I began Brawl. I barely improved in Melee, but that was probably because I didn't know about any cool websites like smashboards.

Again, what part of Southwest Texas do you live in Tallman?
I wasn't trying to tell you to main Lucas or ROB, those are MY characters lol. And I live in SW Houston, right off of 59 and Gessner.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I know, just saying why I hate them. :p

Cool! You're just 30 minutes away!

Btw, Xyro, I didn't realize how good you are until you watched your video! What rank are you? I don't know how much damage I can do to you at all!

garrR

Smash Apprentice
I know, just saying why I hate them. :p

Cool! You're just 30 minutes away!

Btw, Xyro, I didn't realize how good you are until you watched your video! What rank are you? I don't know how much damage I can do to you at all!
hey smoom. you said you're from southwest houston. what part? i'm from alief

Smoom77

Smash Master
Aw, you're an hour away.

Also, what's the address of the drink station?

GarrR, I'm around Katy. YOu're about 25 minutes away from me. :)

heytallman

CTALL
W00t, my new sig! What does everyone think? And does anyone want one? I'm trying to improve my photoshoop skillz.

Smoon, we should play sometime. I actually go to UH, so if you live any closer to UH, we could play on Thursdays, we always have small smashfests here on Thursday evenings.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I should try out some of my GIMP skills on brawl characters. Never tried it.

It's like 30 minutes away. Since you go to UoH, you're probably like 20s? It would be weird having a 13 year old coming. Plus, Thursdays are really busy for me. Sorry. :(

Also, we should play sometimes just online, just to see each other's skill.

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
W00t, my new sig! What does everyone think? And does anyone want one? I'm trying to improve my photoshoop skillz.

Smoon, we should play sometime. I actually go to UH, so if you live any closer to UH, we could play on Thursdays, we always have small smashfests here on Thursday evenings.
it sucks get better.

kown

Smash Lord

Never give up.
thanks for actually saying this outside of pms.
it means a lot and gives hope.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The only thing I can say about Brawl is that you can use Meta if you want, but will you have fun playing it? Sure, winning is everything and blah blah blah, but would you honestly have fun playing with that character? If you don't have FUN playing a game while winning, then is there really a point? It's sad some people think you can ONLY have fun when you win. Sure, everyone wants to get better, but would you really want to get better at something you don't like doing? Most people keep playing because they enjoy the community and friends they have made. Just play the game how you want and enjoy it. If you don't truly enjoy doing something, then stop. This applies to everything in life. :)

Also, someone play smash with me this week! I'll be free starting on Wednesday. Imma looking at you Gnes and Gea. Too bad there won't be a UH thingy this week. :)

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
HALO2 greatest game on earth...

*prepares to defend himself
I looooooove that game <3

halo1 is the best one and its not all that good.
No wayyyy

Never give up.
My life story :)

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
AGH, FINALLY!!! I just finished removing a really annoying virus from my comp...took me all day :'(
well, better than paying the geek squad $300 to do it for me, i suppose. :p
As for the debate at hand, i'd have to agree with melee ppl getting a head start (I played melee myself, me and my friends learned how to do EVERYTHING but wavedash (well, i was the exception but with link it's not that useful :\ (even still, we just played for fun. :p))) Anyhow, I agree that ppl who played melee competitively are generally phenomenal at brawl in comparison to those who are just starting off with brawl, due to all the technical skills they get ahold of in its prequel, and seeing how brawl is slower paced. It's merely that they have a head start at getting a feel for the game and learning its tricks, exploits, what have you.

And when it comes to character selection, I'd have to say that ppl's mains reflect what the game is all about to them.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
The only thing I can say about Brawl is that you can use Meta if you want, but will you have fun playing it? Sure, winning is everything and blah blah blah, but would you honestly have fun playing with that character? If you don't have FUN playing a game while winning, then is there really a point? It's sad some people think you can ONLY have fun when you win. Sure, everyone wants to get better, but would you really want to get better at something you don't like doing? Most people keep playing because they enjoy the community and friends they have made. Just play the game how you want and enjoy it. If you don't truly enjoy doing something, then stop. This applies to everything in life. :)

Also, someone play smash with me this week! I'll be free starting on Wednesday. Imma looking at you Gnes and Gea. Too bad there won't be a UH thingy this week. :)
QFT #1. Use my example, when you see me play Diddy, I'm having fun.. When I use MK I'm trash >_>

AGH, FINALLY!!! I just finished removing a really annoying virus from my comp...took me all day :'(
well, better than paying the geek squad $300 to do it for me, i suppose. :p
As for the debate at hand, i'd have to agree with melee ppl getting a head start (I played melee myself, me and my friends learned how to do EVERYTHING but wavedash (well, i was the exception but with link it's not that useful :\ (even still, we just played for fun. :p))) Anyhow, I agree that ppl who played melee competitively are generally phenomenal at brawl in comparison to those who are just starting off with brawl, due to all the technical skills they get ahold of in its prequel, and seeing how brawl is slower paced. It's merely that they have a head start at getting a feel for the game and learning its tricks, exploits, what have you.

And when it comes to character selection, I'd have to say that ppl's mains reflect what the game is all about to them.
QFT #2. Diddy is left handed... Flip is left handed... 1+1= Diddy's Fliphop

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I have fun playing MK. Does that make me a bad person?

Joking of course, but i do tend to do better with characters i have more fun with. Which is why i am terrible with the likes of Snake, sonic, and some others....

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
QFT #1. Use my example, when you see me play Diddy, I'm having fun.. When I use MK I'm trash >_>

QFT #2. Diddy is left handed... Flip is left handed... 1+1= Diddy's Fliphop
sup flip yo kr game suck. and talkin trash for u in the o slap thread.lol u should go check it out we have a mm in the makin.

garrR

Smash Apprentice

alot of people like to say stuff like "play this game for fun", which has some truth, but is much too idealistic.

to me, competition is fun and winning is fun. is winning the only thing that's fun? of course not. but realistically, nobody likes to lose. if you have fun losing, you would definitely have MORE fun winning.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Tarzan I just went premium goods got me a pair of supras hahaha. On topic though I did tournies for melee way back when at this place called Go Ballistics. Saw DV8 and GaR up there, who I destroyed every time btw ^_^.

You Can't Beat Me!

SINGLES RESULTS:

1st- SideEffect $138

2nd- Roy_r $69

3rd- Mouf $23

4th- Tarzan $0

5th- Matt Damon

5th- Cesar

7th- Lab Rat

7th- Sand Trap

9th- Oscar

9th- Jake13

9th- TGM

9th- Velox

13th- Riot

13th- Mog

13th- Tobias

13th- Kage

17th- D@X

17th- Romo

17th- Sisy

17th- Fliphop

17th- Rockettrainer

17th- Pterbomb
I did awful that tourney but thats not the point. In brawl people play more carelessly as compared to melee mainly due to airdodging. Thats all I have to say.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
Tarzan I just went premium goods got me a pair of supras hahaha. On topic though I did tournies for melee way back when at this place called Go Ballistics. Saw DV8 and GaR up there, who I destroyed every time btw ^_^.

I did awful that tourney but thats not the point. In brawl people play more carelessly as compared to melee mainly due to airdodging. Thats all I have to say.
ahaha flip. don't get trashed by my sheik :laugh: goballistic. that place was trashhhhh. ahahah.

i wish i could have played more of the melee tournaments back then. i could never travel back then :(

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman

good **** im orderin two kr keychangs and where u get like list i wish i would have knew back than.

dont worrie ill **** grrr up for u in melee.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
Hey kown I just want you to know before I started doing well in Brawl, Alan was telling me the same exact **** he's telling you now. I was just like you, except with a little experience in melee, which I was garbage at. Though, I was still good enough to own Baytown and everything east of it including Beaumont (GET AT ME BEAUMONT!). But now look at me..... I hate this game. Save yourself the trouble of placing well at a few tournies to end up inevitably hating the game. That's my $.02.

good **** im orderin two kr keychangs and where u get like list i wish i would have knew back than.

dont worrie ill **** grrr up for u in melee.
Do you think you're cool?

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
Hey kown I just want you to know before I started doing well in Brawl, Alan was telling me the same exact **** he's telling you now. I was just like you, except with a little experience in melee, which I was garbage at. Though, I was still good enough to own Baytown and everything east of it including Beaumont (GET AT ME BEAUMONT!). But now look at me..... I hate this game. Save yourself the trouble of placing well at a few tournies to end up inevitably hating the game. That's my $.02.

Do you think you're cool?
u better ? is do u think ur good?

Top Bottom