• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Testing gah...

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Let me just say this: if you are a noob or you're new to the scene (aka didn't play Melee), pick up MK. You will fail at ever placing otherwise. Do you wonder why RoyR, Sethlon, Hylian, etc place way above the rest of you? It's because they have played Smash for many more years than the rest of you and they are simply much better players. Now think about what other matches you lose on a consistent basis. MK players. Pick him up or you are doomed to mediocrity. I'm sorry, but none of you will ever catch up to the 5+ years of experience many of these guys have. It's the same reason the same people kept dominating in the Melee scene. Even though I was caught up in technical skill after a year of playing Melee, there's just no way I could compete against their experience and intelligence. Fortunately for you, you can have a huge advantage by playing Metaknight.

Do it!

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
There are many good players out there who weren't exactly pro at Melee. NinjaLink for example.

A good example here in Houston is 3000 and rex. not the best at melee, but they **** in brawl. Ultimate razer doesnt even use the mother****ing gamecube controller and placed 4th last tourney and consistenly places high in past hobos where mks run about. Fliphop as far as i know wasnt a top melee player here in houston and he won the last tourney, beating the likes of Sethlon, Hylian and Roy, which were your examples. Oh i might as well mention kown, who told me he came from the HALO 2 SCENE and still does well in Brawl.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
MK is the only character worth practicing against, really.

Marth is rising in the rankings, but he will never be built the way MK was(for one purpose: ****)

the only reason a GOOD MK player will lose nowadays is either:

1. The opponent plays a character that they lack experience against(aka diddy)
or
2. The opponent plays MK.
or
3. The opponent plays him on a regular basis.

Diddy wont be a Meta counter once he gets figured out, just like how Marth was an optional counter until meta realized "hey, if i dont mindlessly attack i still win!"

Since the SBR has chosen to keep the ***, we must all now focus the entire evolution of the game on learning to defeat him. So, as you can see, the next couple months will be really fun...-.-

CY

Smash Ace
MK is the only character worth practicing against, really.

Marth is rising in the rankings, but he will never be built the way MK was(for one purpose: ****)

the only reason a GOOD MK player will lose nowadays is either:

1. The opponent plays a character that they lack experience against(aka diddy)
or
2. The opponent plays MK.
or
3. The opponent plays him on a regular basis.

Diddy wont be a Meta counter once he gets figured out, just like how Marth was an optional counter until meta realized "hey, if i dont mindlessly attack i still win!"

Since the SBR has chosen to keep the ***, we must all now focus the entire evolution of the game on learning to defeat him. So, as you can see, the next couple months will be really fun...-.-
it's always been like that except HOBO 12.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Yes, the next HOBO is in January, there's also the Drink Station tournament on the 6th and weeklies/monthlies at the PnT, all info is on the first page.

Nobody ever really goes into the Smash chat any more, but sometimes you can catch some people.

Also, it appears as though you are new here. My name is Tallman, welcome to the Houston thread, where spam runs rampant. Whereabouts in Houston do you live? Mayhaps practice can go down.

Thanks for welcoming me. :) I met Xyro at the chat, but I haven't met anyone else. I live in Southwest Houston also. I'd rather not give out the city right away, but what part are you in?

Edit: I main ICs, Pika, and Jiggly/ZSS. Are any of those Low Tier? xD

Edit 2: Axxl ( Or whatever your name is..), I'd like to come, it's like 20 minutes away, but I'd rather come if more people come, because I'd seem to be the odd one out....

Esca

Smash Champion
Even if Metaknight isn't banned, noone who plays him will receive any respect from anyone, so go ahead, you ***gots. Pick him.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
There are many good players out there who weren't exactly pro at Melee. NinjaLink for example.
Im wasnt a noob at melee either. Just joined the scene late. I still made a great improvement in a year. I used roy. Ppl were gay and only picked ICs and sheik against me. Oh well

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
since the SBR has failed to do whats right....AGAIN. i might take care of it.

we will see.

kown

Smash Lord
Let me just say this: if you are a noob or you're new to the scene (aka didn't play Melee), pick up MK. You will fail at ever placing otherwise. Do you wonder why RoyR, Sethlon, Hylian, etc place way above the rest of you? It's because they have played Smash for many more years than the rest of you and they are simply much better players. Now think about what other matches you lose on a consistent basis. MK players. Pick him up or you are doomed to mediocrity. I'm sorry, but none of you will ever catch up to the 5+ years of experience many of these guys have. It's the same reason the same people kept dominating in the Melee scene. Even though I was caught up in technical skill after a year of playing Melee, there's just no way I could compete against their experience and intelligence. Fortunately for you, you can have a huge advantage by playing Metaknight.

Do it!
Im definitely not gunna be doomed to medicrity becuase i didnt play melee or i dont play MK....That statement is false because i could go pick IC's and wreck.

You say ppl who never played melee and dont play mk will NEVER place. Thats a bold statement that is false....basically, if i beat ppl without mk, who played melee for 5+ years, than theres a flaw in your logic.

no duh the ppl who played melee are going to be dominating the tournament scene right now... other ppl just need to catch up. eventually new ppl will be at the same level and the reults will change.

most halo people would agree with you.
or you could ask mlg which game had the bigger population.

Xyro77

Im definitely not gunna be doomed to medicrity becuase i didnt play melee or i dont play MK....That statement is false because i could go pick IC's and wreck.

You say ppl who never played melee and dont play mk will NEVER place. Thats a bold statement that is false....basically, if i beat ppl without mk, who played melee for 5+ years, than theres a flaw in your logic.

no duh the ppl who played melee are going to be dominating the tournament scene right now... other ppl just need to catch up. eventually new ppl will be at the same level and the reults will change.

or you could ask mlg which game had the bigger population.

Lee harris is talking at the ABSOLUTE highest level of brawl play......there are only melee pros. And quite frankly, i agree. Melee taught people how to PLAY smash. Brawl doesnt.

World ranking Brawl= M2k(best in melee) and Azen (argue-able 2nd best in melee). in other words, lee harris is right.

In all honesty, if u go down each of the character boards....most "best with character XYZ" are melee players.

Do research kown, MLG has ALWAYS put smash in the back burner and almost never gave it advertisment or lime light..... not to mention it wasnt a game where you could play more than 4 people at once.........

so its biased to say halo is better than smash based off of MLG.

kown

Smash Lord
this is what i disagree with...lee harris is saying... that i will NEVER place at brawl because i dont play mk or melee. thus making me mediocre. you guys are telling me that i will never suceed in this game... im so used to ppl who say im not good enuff and what not but ive come so far in this game..if anyone played me when i started, i sucked bad. But ive come along way since than and im going to stop improving. i firmly believe that i will compete with melee pros. It will just take time. but than again u guys will say otherwise....i guess this is when one says " dont care about what other ppl say"
lets drop halo2 for another time ( im not succumbing to you)... but lets stick to brawl.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
since the SBR has failed to do whats right....AGAIN. i might take care of it.

we will see.
You have to realize the Texas and NJ are litterally the only places with this problem. It wouldn't make sense for the entire nation to ban him yet.

If you think it is better for your community to ban MK, then feel free. We won't argue with you. Just realize it will be hard when you play OOS. That's all.

Xyro77

this is what i disagree with...lee harris is saying... that i will NEVER place at brawl because i dont play mk or melee. thus making me mediocre. you guys are telling me that i will never suceed in this game... im so used to ppl who say im not good enuff and what not but ive come so far in this game..if anyone played me when i started, i sucked bad. But ive come along way since than and im going to stop improving. i firmly believe that i will compete with melee pros. It will just take time. but than again u guys will say otherwise....i guess this is when one says " dont care about what other ppl say"
lets drop halo2 for another time ( im not succumbing to you)... but lets stick to brawl.
its obvious you will get better. heck anybody who keeps playing this game will get better. What hes saying is that you wont get 1st or 2nd consistantly unless you go all out meta or have lots of exp in melee.

just take a look at the GOOD people in houston.

trex,seth,royr,flip,hylian(hes basicly houston),xyro,kalo,stiltz,3000

all of them played melee. now look at thier results.......they place very high.

Top Bottom