• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
  1. Rachel & Clank
  2. PaRappa the Rapper
  3. Aloy (Horizon Dawn)
  4. Kat (Gravity Rush)
  5. Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
  6. Kratos (God of War)
  7. Makoto Naegi (Danganronpa)
  8. The Hunter from Bloodborne
  9. Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)
  10. Jin Sakai (Ghost of Tsushima)
  11. Dante (DMC)
  12. Sackboy (Little Big Planet)
  13. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  14. Spyro
  15. Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
  16. Ellie (Last of Us)
We now have our submissions!

We will be conducting voting tomorrow for our upcoming fighters but I want to have an honest discussion about these candidates and how they could fit into our pass. Among other questions, a feel pop into my mind when considering which to vote for:

1) Does it represent Sony and their brand?
2) How has the series that the candidate is from contributed to both Sony and gaming
3) Is the character from a noteworthy series that can go toe to toe with other big series in Smash?
4) Is the candidate within the realism of realism/realizability
5) How would this character work in conjunction with the rest of the cast? Does it fill a niche that we don’t have yet?
6) We aren’t just voting in a character. How does including this character also brings in adequate content that enriches our product? Will adding this character being in good amount of submissions for other content like stages, music, and spirits? We have had issues before where characters bring in tons of submissions but other content does not.
7) Will this character turn a profit?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Alrighty, lemme see here...
  1. Ratchet & Clank: They both have that Nintendo-like charm despite being a Sony IP, and their weapons, while some use ballistic ammunition, seem more ridiculous enough to be passable in Smash.
  2. Parappa the Rapper: As mentioned before, the Parappa series is highly influential to modern rhythm games. I dunno how much Rhythm Heaven owes to Parappa, but the game seems important-enough.
  3. Aloy (Horizon Dawn): My own suggestion, which I've elaborated on in my post.
  4. Kat (Gravity Rush): I've seen several people, even in the Smash 4 days, around, talking about how they want Kat in Smash. Her gravity powers would be fun and bring something to the table that has never been explored in Smash at all.
  5. Nathan Drake (Uncharted): If Kratos is considered Sony's Mario, then Nathan Drake could be considered Sony's Link. The franchise is apparently responsible for having an immense impact on storytelling in video games. A really tempting option.
  6. Kratos (God of War): The only thing I see going for Kratos is the fact that he only appears as a skin in Fortnite. Skins probably aren't enough to warrant inclusion, but Kratos is ungodly popular, and a lot of the Smash community seems to agree that he'd be the Mario of Sony if Sakurai was ever in the market for a Sony character at any point in time.
  7. Makoto Naegi (Danganronpa): I wasn't of the impression that Danganronpa was a PlayStation franchise. But it's up there with Ace Attorney as one of the most popular visual novel candidates alongside games like Steins;Gate and Fate/Stay night. Though I'm not sure how to translate Danganronpa to a fighting game without being just a direct rip-off of Phoenix's moveset.
  8. The Hunter from Bloodborne: Bloodborne is a very prestigious game (not to mention it shares its genre name with the Souls games), but I feel like there are better characters to pick from when it comes to FromSoft characters, like the Tarnished or the Chosen Undead. Maybe when we get our "Submit a Sony Mii Costume" job, I'd probably submit something from another Sony-owned FromSoft franchise, the Fluted Armor set from Demon's Souls.
  9. Wander (Shadow of the Colossus): This game is one of the highest peaks in this mountain range that is the games industry, being cited as one of the best video games of all time, and one of the most influential. In a sense, you could compare it to Dragon Quest in terms of how many games can be traced back to this one. My own Dad remembers the game very fondly.
  10. Jin Sakai (Ghost of Tsushima): A modern hit of recent memory, this game is so goddamn popular that the two people helming the development have become permanent ambassadors of the IRL island of Tsushima. I am proud to admit that I'm not joking. I imagine his moveset changing based on the actions you do in-game, much like how you can either fight like a samurai or a ninja in-game.
  11. Dante (DMC): Dante is a fiendishly popular pick in Smash, so much so that the very concept of him crossing over to anything is a meme in and of itself. He'd cover so many bases, but at the same time, he'd probably be more complex than Kazuya, who is as of right now arguably the most complex character in canon Smash.
  12. Sackboy (Little Big Planet): LittleBigPlanet is a pretty fun 2.5D Sandbox game, basically being a Super Mario Maker long before Super Mario Maker was a thing. PSASBR gives us a generally good idea as to how Sackboy could play in Smash, although we could make some tweaks to make him better fit the mechanics of the game.
  13. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider): Lara seems to be in the same boat as Dante, except replace Capcom with Eidos/Square. One point of contention here is that her guns could seem a little too taboo in the context of Smash, but Joker's gun is so convincing at surface level that I'm sure people would let it slide.
  14. Spyro: I mean, we already have Crash Bandicoot in the base game, I'm half-tempted to vote for him just from the principle of completing the duo alone.
  15. Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal): A vehicular combat game rep sounds nuts, but Sweet Tooth, unlike the likes of Bayonetta and Doom Slayer, is the disturbing kind of violent. Like, slowly gouge your eyeballs out of your skull with an ice cream scoop, kind of disturbing. But then again, I can't think of another established character to represent the genre well that would fit this job.
  16. Ellie (Last of Us): Its sequel may have been rather frowned upon by a good chunk of the internet, but to my knowledge, the first game was much more beloved, to the point that the number of awards it won could cover an entire hallway over at Naughty Dog's dev building. Regardless, TLOU always seemed a bit too atmospheric to me, and even then the first game's main character was her (pretty much) adoptive father Joel.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Personal opinion here only, but i agree with the argument that this really should be a sony first party rep. It just feels odd to go with anyone else when the prompt is asking for a Sony character.

1st tier - Kratos, Nathan Drake, Aloy, Jin Sakai, Sackboy

These 5 characters are probably the first ones I'd look at. Kratos, Drake, and Sackboy are basically Sony's big 3. If I was a betting man and we were told that Sony was getting a rep in Smash one of those 3 would be who I would gamble on. All 3 are iconic and synonymous with Sony and iconic video game characters. As for Aloy and Jin, I don't know if I'd call them iconic yet(Aloy for sure has a debate) but they are rising stars in the company, with Horizon just getting it's 2nd game with tons of buzz behind it and Ghost of Tsushima doing very well across the board. I would consider one of those 2 and upset pick but not a large one. Overall I would be very pleased with any of those 5 being the rep.

2nd Tier - Rachet and Clank, Ellie, Parapa, Kat, Sweet Tooth

These characters are the ones I like as a back up, but I don't feel like I want or need for one reason or another. Parapa doesn't feel like he measures up to the top tier characters as far as popularity goes. I don't know a lot about Kat and Gravity Rush even though I want to try it out. Same issue as Parapa though. I love Ellie and The Last of Us, but I don't think she's be that great of a pick for Smash I guess? She's for sure a Sony All Star but I don't think she'd make that interesting of a fighter for Smash. I wouldn't hate her inclusion but I'm not sure how I'd make her an interesting choice outside of the name value she obviously has. Sweet Tooth has the same issues as Parapa and Kat as far as popularity goes and I'm also not sure if he's actually Sony owned or not. Ratchet and Clank would be a good pick and they just barely missed the 1st tier for me. The issue I have with them is that I feel like they aren't seen as important as the other series above. Would be a great pick but I'd prefer the above characters more.

3rd Tier - Makoto, Dante, Lara, Spyro

These 4 are all characters I like and want in Smash. The problem is that none of them are 1st party Sony reps. Deserving of Smash? Yes. Fit the prompt? Not really. I feel like voting one of these 4 in would be like voting Phoenix Wright as a first party character. It doesn't really make sense.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I feel that if Nintendo was to go to Sony and say "Hey, we want to add a Sony character", Sony might be more akin to saying:

"You can pick between Kratos, Nathan, Aloy, Elie, Jin, or maybe Rachet". I think these characters would be Sony's first reply to Nintendo wanting to add a Sony rep.

Now, if we were to say Nintendo wanted to add a Sony rep but Sony said "NO", then I feel that Lara, Dante, Spyro, or maybe Wander would be a potential pick. Danganronpa as well.

Sweet Tooth, Parapa, Hunter, Kat, and Sackboy are great candidates but I am having a hard time visualizing Nintendo and Sony forming a partnership over games that are indeed iconic but, sadly, not as marketable as these above. Remember, we are talking about two mega corporations who has a history of not working together to deal with. I don't see them burying the hatchet with Parapa, Sackboy, or Sweet Tooth. This will be a groundbreak moment that will define Nintendo-Sony relations years to come.

While Kratos, Nathan, Aloy, etc might not be unpredictable picks, they all make 101% to include as THE Sony Rep.

If this job was "Submit an Underdog Character", then perhaps we could look at the others in a more positive light but, to me, a lot on this list, including my own submission, are vote takers from the characters that are the face of company and have the pedigree to be including as the VERY FIRST Sony character that has no connection to Nintendo.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
I feel overall for Sony, I feel the best pick for the marketability and hype for Season 2 would be either Nathan Drake or Rachet and Clank. My nomination being Sweet Tooth represents a genre that's not represented in Infinite but I feel it's more niche compared to the two aforementioned characters. After all, Nathan Drake is extremely relevant right now due to the Uncharted movie.

D

Deleted member

It we add Kratos which verison are we going for? It doesn't make much sense for them to be alts of each other considering how different the weapons are. Sony would likely want 2018 Kratos but classic Kratos does have an over all longer legacy and, in my own opinion, a more interesting potential moveset.

Last edited by a moderator:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It we add Kratos which verison are we going for? It doesn't make much sense for them to be alts of each other. Sony would likely want 2018 Kratos but classic Kratos does have an over all longer legacy and, in my own opinion, a more interesting potential moveset. Though I wonder if some of the more problematic elements of those older games might worry Nintnedo a little lol. (Less the violence and more the s*x mini games and using a defenceless woman's body to open a trap door). So likely Modern.
Man, why is it that the realistic games have so many problems with them, yet we act like the anime games are the spawns of Satan?

What? We're talking about Sony, I should have the right to mention their double-standards.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
It we add Kratos which verison are we going for? It doesn't make much sense for them to be alts of each other considering how different the weapons are. Sony would likely want 2018 Kratos but classic Kratos does have an over all longer legacy and, in my own opinion, a more interesting potential moveset.
Probably 2018 since he can use both his leviathan axe and the blades of chaos

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I've said it before; I'll say it again: we should've drawn the line very clear at the "must have at minimum appeared on a Nintendo system" rule; to think, even in fictional Nintendo land that they would even approach their primary console rival who outsells them in their home country is ludicrous; I think this prompt is an awful one based on that alone, regardless of what flack it will get me; even then, we have plenty of characters in already who might as well be your representative for the Playstation: Cloud, Crash, Snake, Kazuya, and to a lesser extent, Joker and Richter.

And to prove to you I'm not bull****ting - Ghost of Tsushima is my fourth favorite game of all time. Jin Sakai is one of my favorite gaming protags. But he shouldn't be in Smash Bros; nor should Kratos, Sackboy, or ****ing Knack, because they're owned by Nintendo's rival. The most foolish thing to do would be openly promote games you can only play on a rival console. Every third party character in series history has at least appeared or had an upcoming release in which they would appear on a Nintendo platform.

That said, given the choices we have, the ones I personally think would be your best bets of selling to a Nintendo-focused fanbase are:

• Dante, who's games are multi-plat and has a legacy of crossover appearances and has appeared as a Mii in a previous Smash title.
  • Spyro, who like Crash has not only a legacy dipping back to the console wars but also has all his core games available on Nintendo, and as a representative technically for the Skylanders brand, which Nintendo has a very strong relationship with
  • Ratchet, who's 17+ game legacy speaks for itself, and as the ahem "Scrimblo Bimblo," the core audience will more likely gravitate to him.
  • Sackboy, who has that Scrimblo Bimblo status as well as representing creativity purely as a concept.
  • Lara, who similarly shares a long legacy in the gaming consciousness, as well as being... an, ahem, "awakening" for many teenage boys (and girls).

Characters who would not go over well with the Nintendo audience:
  • Kratos, whose legacy of ultra-violent games doesn't even try to cover it's tracks as being a gorefest.
  • Sweet Tooth, who has the exact same problem as Kratos.
  • Ellie, who comes from a highly controversial series, especially when we already have the most iconic "survivor" tropes in the game with Resi.
  • Nathan Drake, whose series does not share the same legacy status as Lara and, let's be frank, is one of the pillars of Sony's reputation of prioritizing games' graphics over creativity. (The "Realism" Debate)
  • Hunter, who has competition within his own development studio for games that are actually on Nintendo consoles.
  • Jin, who represents an archetype both already represented and has "new face" syndrome.
  • Wander, who comes from a game most Nintendo fans would have never heard of. Shadow of the Colossus is great, I'm sure, but it cannot be denied that it is a cult classic.
  • Makoto, who sadly has competition with a much more prevalent character in his series who's much more recognizable and "mascot-y"

Once again, for the record - I'm not just a Nintendo fanboy here. Gravity Rush, Sly, and Ghost of Tsushima all have spots in my favorite games of all time - but they are very clearly the example of a poor business decision on Nintendo's part. People aren't clamoring for a Sony rep in Smash, and Sony wouldn't say yes either.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
People aren't clamoring for a Sony rep in Smash, and Sony wouldn't say yes either.
I feel like if Sony was asked, they would be fine with it. They've started porting games to PC, and MLB is even coming to the Switch. They would see it as an opportunity to advertise their IPs and ecosystem to a new market and would say yes. And if fans had even the slightest reason to believe Kratos or Rachet could happen, people would start clamoring. That's what happened with Microsoft. I don't think this is very likely, but that's on Nintendo's end - I could see them being paranoid about advertising an "enemy". But why not have fun with the what if?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I've said it before; I'll say it again: we should've drawn the line very clear at the "must have at minimum appeared on a Nintendo system" rule; to think, even in fictional Nintendo land that they would even approach their primary console rival who outsells them in their home country is ludicrous; I think this prompt is an awful one based on that alone, regardless of what flack it will get me; even then, we have plenty of characters in already who might as well be your representative for the Playstation: Cloud, Crash, Snake, Kazuya, and to a lesser extent, Joker and Richter.

And to prove to you I'm not bull****ting - Ghost of Tsushima is my fourth favorite game of all time. Jin Sakai is one of my favorite gaming protags. But he shouldn't be in Smash Bros; nor should Kratos, Sackboy, or ****ing Knack, because they're owned by Nintendo's rival. The most foolish thing to do would be openly promote games you can only play on a rival console. Every third party character in series history has at least appeared or had an upcoming release in which they would appear on a Nintendo platform.

That said, given the choices we have, the ones I personally think would be your best bets of selling to a Nintendo-focused fanbase are:

• Dante, who's games are multi-plat and has a legacy of crossover appearances and has appeared as a Mii in a previous Smash title.
  • Spyro, who like Crash has not only a legacy dipping back to the console wars but also has all his core games available on Nintendo, and as a representative technically for the Skylanders brand, which Nintendo has a very strong relationship with
  • Ratchet, who's 17+ game legacy speaks for itself, and as the ahem "Scrimblo Bimblo," the core audience will more likely gravitate to him.
  • Sackboy, who has that Scrimblo Bimblo status as well as representing creativity purely as a concept.
  • Lara, who similarly shares a long legacy in the gaming consciousness, as well as being... an, ahem, "awakening" for many teenage boys (and girls).

Characters who would not go over well with the Nintendo audience:
  • Kratos, whose legacy of ultra-violent games doesn't even try to cover it's tracks as being a gorefest.
  • Sweet Tooth, who has the exact same problem as Kratos.
  • Ellie, who comes from a highly controversial series, especially when we already have the most iconic "survivor" tropes in the game with Resi.
  • Nathan Drake, whose series does not share the same legacy status as Lara and, let's be frank, is one of the pillars of Sony's reputation of prioritizing games' graphics over creativity. (The "Realism" Debate)
  • Hunter, who has competition within his own development studio for games that are actually on Nintendo consoles.
  • Jin, who represents an archetype both already represented and has "new face" syndrome.
  • Wander, who comes from a game most Nintendo fans would have never heard of. Shadow of the Colossus is great, I'm sure, but it cannot be denied that it is a cult classic.
  • Makoto, who sadly has competition with a much more prevalent character in his series who's much more recognizable and "mascot-y"

Once again, for the record - I'm not just a Nintendo fanboy here. Gravity Rush, Sly, and Ghost of Tsushima all have spots in my favorite games of all time - but they are very clearly the example of a poor business decision on Nintendo's part. People aren't clamoring for a Sony rep in Smash, and Sony wouldn't say yes either.
I feel like you're putting way, way too much stock into what solely Nintendo fans would think about this character. Smash has transcended to the point of a lot of gamers buying the console to only play that and maybe Mario Kart along with it. There's also the portion(myself included) who own multiple consoles and would be very excited over the prospect. I think the majority of Smash players/fans would see someone like Kratos and lose their minds instead of say "Ew, gore. Stupid. NEXT!". Sure, there's gonna be some of that, but I remember full blown freakouts over Joker and Steve, who were probably the top 2 most hyped over reveals. Smash isn't just about Nintendo and Nintendo fans anymore. It's really not about catering to any single type of gamer anymore.

As for the main rival part, I don't think that's true either. It's been very much Mircosoft vs. Sony for a while there while Nintendo does their own thing with their own market. If Sony wanted to reach out to Nintendo over Smash and the likes Nintendo would very likely listen. Like mentioned above, MLB the Show going full multiplatform shows that if Sony thinks there's money in sharing when pushed they will absolutely do it

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I feel like if Sony was asked, they would be fine with it. They've started porting games to PC, and MLB is even coming to the Switch. They would see it as an opportunity to advertise their IPs and ecosystem to a new market and would say yes. And if fans had even the slightest reason to believe Kratos or Rachet could happen, people would start clamoring. That's what happened with Microsoft. I don't think this is very likely, but that's on Nintendo's end - I could see them being paranoid about advertising an "enemy". But why not have fun with the what if?
There are two steadfast rules when it comes to who can and cannot get in Smash that every fighter has had to abide by in the past. If we're just throwing out the rules, what's the point of anything anymore. That's what I'm getting at.

I feel like you're putting way, way too much stock into what solely Nintendo fans would think about this character. Smash has transcended to the point of a lot of gamers buying the console to only play that and maybe Mario Kart along with it. There's also the portion(myself included) who own multiple consoles and would be very excited over the prospect. I think the majority of Smash players/fans would see someone like Kratos and lose their minds instead of say "Ew, gore. Stupid. NEXT!". Sure, there's gonna be some of that, but I remember full blown freakouts over Joker and Steve, who were probably the top 2 most hyped over reveals. Smash isn't just about Nintendo and Nintendo fans anymore.

As for the main rival part, I don't think that's true either. It's been very much Mircosoft vs. Sony for a while there while Nintendo does their own thing with their own market. If Sony wanted to reach out to Nintendo over Smash and the likes Nintendo would very likely listen. Like mentioned above, MLB the Show going full multiplatform shows that if Sony thinks there's money in sharing when pushed they will absolutely do it
Microsoft vs. Sony isn't even remotely relevant to the discussion here. It's abundantly clear Microsoft and Nintendo don't see each other as console rivals, especially being that Microsoft as a studio is extremely small in the Japanese space; whereas Sony is a Japanese company and Nintendo does see them as a console rival. Having a baseball game that was already multiplat isn't that relevant either. It's entirely different than having a character from a game you can only experience on Playstation.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
There are two steadfast rules when it comes to who can and cannot get in Smash that every fighter has had to abide by in the past. If we're just throwing out the rules, what's the point of anything anymore. That's what I'm getting at.

Microsoft vs. Sony isn't even remotely relevant to the discussion here. It's abundantly clear Microsoft and Nintendo don't see each other as console rivals, especially being that Microsoft as a studio is extremely small in the Japanese space; whereas Sony is a Japanese company and Nintendo does see them as a console rival. Having a baseball game that was already multiplat isn't that relevant either. It's entirely different than having a character from a game you can only experience on Playstation.
So, MLB the Show going from Playstation only to full multiplatform in the span of 2 games after it was an exclusive forever due to MLB's request means nothing to the idea of Sony will never share? Not sure I follow. If someone requests it Nintendo is instantly saying no why? Because they don't want to make more money? I really don't think Sony and Nintendo still have this huge amount of bad blood you're implying. Otherwise either Sony or Nintendo wouldnt have agreed to put the game on the switch. A character making a crossover appearance feels like a much less major thing than an entire game series going from exclusive to full crossplatform on both of their rivals within 2 years, even with that game being Smash.

At the risk of the thread totally derailing again over one of these debates I'm not going to run with this too much longer, but I'm not sure why you're so against the idea of a character not being on Nintendo being in the game. I know you mention rules and that they're important, but that's not a rule. It's a pattern. The only rule Sakurai has ever given is that a character needs to be originally from a video game. If there's some place Sakurai or Nintendo said that they will never ever do something like this then I would really like to see it because it would be pretty beneficial to the speculation scene itself. To be honest, I could even see that one being bent at some point for something like The Witcher, which is originally a book series but significantly more well known for the games. If we were still in the Melee days would you have argued that Sonic was impossible or should never happen because we don't have 3rd parties yet, therefore we can't have it either? Like, we had dozens and dozens of "roster rules" before and they've all been whittled down to the point where it's pretty much just down to 2. It just feels like such a strange point to be so stuck on. It's not like after this Venus is going to just go full blown the other direction and have us vote between Darth Vader, Mickey Mouse, and Harry Potter or something. It happening in real life wouldn't make Smash a free for all over every wild possibility either.

Mainly I'm just trying to understand why this seems to be a big point of contention for you every time it's brought up, because nobody else seems to think this scenario is so over the top impossible that it needs to be shut down the instant it's brought up every time.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Kratos or Ratchet & Clank would be my choices for who the sony rep would be.

I like Ratchet & Clank and hoping they show up in the game, they're are also very important to sony considering they still sell.

Kratos would be the ideal sony rep due to how iconic he is lately, though i'm kinda leaning towards the former characters i could understand why kratos would be the main pick for sony.

Outside of the first party playstation reps i'd say my realistic thoughts are Makoto & Dante. Danganronpa was popular in japan and would push in for more visual novel representation while Dante is the fan favorite that has so much warrant for the game.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So, MLB the Show going from Playstation only to full multiplatform in the span of 2 games after it was an exclusive forever due to MLB's request means nothing to the idea of Sony will never share? Not sure I follow. If someone requests it Nintendo is instantly saying no why? Because they don't want to make more money? I really don't think Sony and Nintendo still have this huge amount of bad blood you're implying. Otherwise either Sony or Nintendo wouldnt have agreed to put the game on the switch. A character making a crossover appearance feels like a much less major thing than an entire game series going from exclusive to full crossplatform on both of their rivals within 2 years, even with that game being Smash.

At the risk of the thread totally derailing again over one of these debates I'm not going to run with this too much longer, but I'm not sure why you're so against the idea of a character not being on Nintendo being in the game. I know you mention rules and that they're important, but that's not a rule. It's a pattern. The only rule Sakurai has ever given is that a character needs to be originally from a video game. If there's some place Sakurai or Nintendo said that they will never ever do something like this then I would really like to see it because it would be pretty beneficial to the speculation scene itself. To be honest, I could even see that one being bent at some point for something like The Witcher, which is originally a book series but significantly more well known for the games. If we were still in the Melee days would you have argued that Sonic was impossible or should never happen because we don't have 3rd parties yet, therefore we can't have it either? Like, we had dozens and dozens of "roster rules" before and they've all been whittled down to the point where it's pretty much just down to 2. It just feels like such a strange point to be so stuck on. It's not like after this Venus is going to just go full blown the other direction and have us vote between Darth Vader, Mickey Mouse, and Harry Potter or something. It happening in real life wouldn't make Smash a free for all over every wild possibility either.

Mainly I'm just trying to understand why this seems to be a big point of contention for you every time it's brought up, because nobody else seems to think this scenario is so over the top impossible that it needs to be shut down the instant it's brought up every time.
Sakurai literally said he would've had hangups over including Cloud if he didn't appear in the KH games on Nintendo. And that speaks volumes of the fact that being a skin in Theatrhythm wasn't good enough of an appearance, the character has to be acting as themselves, not just a cosmetic.

And even if that's too loose of you, the fact we now have 18 third party characters, all of which follow the "pattern", should tell you that Sakurai and Nintendo value characters who've graced their brand. Nintendo picked the DLC fighters for Ultimate, not Sakurai. They want something that will make them money, not their competitor. It's business 101.

It's not just a pattern. Occam's razor says it's a rule. Until proven otherwise by word of mouth from the horses mouth, it should be considered as a rule.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This entire job wasn’t done with “how realistic is it to get Sony in Smash” and more so “let’s just put Sony in Smash” since people were clamoring for it from the very beginning when we started this thread. I’m fully fine with adding a Sony rep into this game just as I was in adding other content I wasn’t too sure about. Having Reimu and Crazy Dave in our launch roster, 2 characters I wasn’t against putting in the launch roster, shows that this game isn’t based in realism as I previously thought. That being said, it’s long shifted to pseudo-realism where parts of it is and parts of it isn’t. We are adding one only PlayStation rep in the game end this will be our Steve of the pass. I also want us to create the same impact that Joker, Banjo, Steve, and Sora did and adding a Sony rep breaks that entirely. Just be glad I didn’t jump to our 4th party fighter lol. I’m saving for that one ;)

I will say that once I used to obsess over the rules and prompts of characters. I have sense stopped as I know people will object or question them regardless and considering my current living state - it’s best to just roll with the punches and, to be perfectly honest, to not give a ****.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We will begin voting for the Sony character!
  1. Rachel & Clank
  2. PaRappa the Rapper
  3. Aloy (Horizon Dawn)
  4. Kat (Gravity Rush)
  5. Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
  6. Kratos (God of War)
  7. Makoto Naegi (Danganronpa)
  8. The Hunter from Bloodborne
  9. Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)
  10. Jin Sakai (Ghost of Tsushima)
  11. Dante (DMC)
  12. Sackboy (Little Big Planet)
  13. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  14. Spyro
  15. Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
  16. Ellie (Last of Us)
To remind you of what criteria we are voting for…

We now have our submissions!

We will be conducting voting tomorrow for our upcoming fighters but I want to have an honest discussion about these candidates and how they could fit into our pass. Among other questions, a feel pop into my mind when considering which to vote for:

1) Does it represent Sony and their brand?
2) How has the series that the candidate is from contributed to both Sony and gaming
3) Is the character from a noteworthy series that can go toe to toe with other big series in Smash?
4) Is the candidate within the realism of realism/realizability
5) How would this character work in conjunction with the rest of the cast? Does it fill a niche that we don’t have yet?
6) We aren’t just voting in a character. How does including this character also brings in adequate content that enriches our product? Will adding this character being in good amount of submissions for other content like stages, music, and spirits? We have had issues before where characters bring in tons of submissions but other content does not.
7) Will this character turn a profit?
PLEASE GO HERE TO VOTE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom