• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Do we vote for the Most Sony rep or just the character from the list that we feel would be best? I don’t think Dante would have that Joker-ish/Zagreus effect of blasting open the floodgates, but on the other hand I kinda dislike that “hype model” in the first place and would prefer a true Sony rep to be either the last or second-to-last character. I’d object to a character being specifically chosen to use it to self-aggrandize its impact on a speculative round of speculation, although I wouldn’t have any real ire with that either.

D

Deleted member

My thoughts:

Kratos - The most obvious pick. There may be some "worry" about his appeal to Nintnedo fans. But he's iconic enough, and unlike someone like Eilie, has a very striking visual design. GOW 2018 was huge and the sequal is very likely to do well. Even if a part of me prefers the over the top rage of OG Kratos, getting new Kratos in here would be a huge headline breaking moment.

Aloy - A more recent face, the fact that her games share DNA with BOTW might make her an easier sell to Nintendo fans. She does have previous crososvers to her name
She's a more recent pick though, which may work against her if we go for a legacy character. She is a character Sony like using.

Jin - This game is great but we do already have a samurai covered with Takamaru. If this game's roumored sequel was confirmed I might push for him more, but we don't even know if he would be in said seuqal or if it would be an infamous situation.He's cool but rght now I'm not sure, we need to see how much staying power this character has.

Kat - Listen, I love Kat, I love Gravity Rush. But Sony doesn't seem to. They literally just cut her out of their big womans day poster to make room for a logo. If we're just going for fan demand then sure, but if we're going for a Sony rep then sadly I think she's out of her depth.

Drake - An icon, no doubt. He's probably a pretty soild representative of what modern Sony actually is, if that's what we're gonna go for. I just don't know how appealing he would be to a casual fan, since he's kind of just a dude. But if we found some way to work the gameplay of Uncharted in then it could be cool.

Ratchet & Clank - Another really soild pick. They're a scrimblo pick that may appeal to Nintnedo fans but unlike some other picks, their franchise actually has a future, they just had a hit new game that did well criticaly and sales wise. They're soild.

Sackboy - Sony still love to use this little guy. He's a soild pick and I actually think he could have a great moveset.

PaRappa - This all comes down to what we wanna do. As a legacy pick, he's great. But if we wanna go for a character Sony would actually choose, I don't think it would be him. They'd probably want a character who they feel is still relevant, and I just don't know where he fits in their current way of making games. If we wanna go just on pure legacy then hell yeah.

Hunter - My own pick but I mostly submitted it because I like the game, I don't think it makes a ton of sense as our big Sony pick. I do think a Fromsoft character is a must have but Dark Souls does make more sense. They'd be very fun to play though.

Wander - SOTC is a stone cold classic. But is it really all that fitting for Smash? I'm not sure. I can't really see Wander doing anything that other fantasy protags couldn't do. A Colossus stage would rock though I gotta admit.

Sweet Tooth - Twisted Metal is cool, and there is a TV series starring the Falcon and a roumored new game coming, so it does have some future. I don't know if the violence would be an issue here as to my limited knowledge, its all pretty inferred and not shown direct. A car combat rep could be kind of cool. He's neat but I don't know if he's the hype Sony pull we wanna go for.

Ellie - I don't think the controversy around 2 would matter here, the game still sold well and won awards. Sony, and likely Nintendo, would not care about what those people think. But the issue is tone. Last of Us is pretty Grim. We have m rated characters but Last of Us, 2 especially, is grim in a particular way. I feel Drake could rep this side of Sony without having to deal with those elements.

- Dante, Lara, Spyro, Makoto - Putting these all in one because they're all non Sony owned (and also I'm hungry and wanna get lunch). These all fall down to "not right now." If we're getting the chance to go for a Sony owned character, we need to take it. Dante is one of my most wanted characters ever, Lara would rock, Spyro's a soild pick (though I guess he'd actually count as a Microsoft rep soon), Danganrompa is fine even if I'd prefer the Bear, I'd be happy with all these, but maybe not this round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
I think Kratos would be a good pick because God of War 2018 is the game that got me to change my mind about “cinematic” games. In the nintendo fanbase there’s this idea that all cinematic games are boring and don’t care about gameplay and while I played cinematic-like games before it, God of War absolutely shocked me with its story and gameplay and got me to abandon this notion. Maybe I’m just projecting but I think it could convince a lot of other Nintendo fans as well.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Do we vote for the Most Sony rep or just the character from the list that we feel would be best? I don’t think Dante would have that Joker-ish/Zagreus effect of blasting open the floodgates, but on the other hand I kinda dislike that “hype model” in the first place and would prefer a true Sony rep to be either the last or second-to-last character. I’d object to a character being specifically chosen to use it to self-aggrandize its impact on a speculative round of speculation, although I wouldn’t have any real ire with that either.
Hope for who you think fits well in this category. I was just portraying what this character could potentially do. Not what it should do.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
If it absolutely has to be a first party Sony character, something I've already voiced my grievances against quite clearly, it should at least be one that fits in with the aesthetic of Smash well - even the more adult characters have their more cartoony or less "gritish-realism" toned down, and you can't really do that with characters like Ellie, Jin, Hunter, Kratos, or Drake.

Ratchet, Parappa, Sackboy, Kat, and even Aloy all have a design that's family friendly, stylized, and all of them even offer notable gimmicks and would fit the slapstick nature of Smash Bros. extremely well.

By the by, Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom I did not see Spyro on the poll at all.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It appears Spyro was not on the poll. He has now been added.

IF YOU WISH TO VOTE FOR SPYRO, PLEASE PM ME SO I CAN DELETE YOUR ORIGINAL VOTE AND SO THAT YOU CAN REVOTE.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Because it would misrepresent them as characters and the theme of their games. The three "mature" characters on Smash's roster - Joker, Bayonetta, and Snake - all come from worlds that are stylized and colorful (for the former), or already operate under cartoon logic on the regular (the latter).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Let's not pretend they're above acting Kraros be portrayed in a no serous manner.
That's not even Kratos, it's just a skin that looks like him.

Remember how I mentioned how Theatyrhythm FF's Cloud skin wasn't enough to be considered an appearance on Nintendo, that KH was the only reason Sakurai didn't have misgivings about including Cloud

D

Deleted member

Remember how I mentioned how Theatyrhythm FF's Cloud skin wasn't enough to be considered an appearance on Nintendo, that KH was the only reason Sakurai didn't have misgivings about including Cloud
I'm aware. Still proves that they're not above putting the character, design or otherwise into less serous games.

Classic Kratos was in a golf game. He was in Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur. He was in Shovel Knight. He was pretty silly actually. I don't think the "prestige" of the 2018 game undoes any of that.

I do think Ratchet or Sackboy might be more interesting in the context of Smash. But I don't think Kratos is nearly as impossible to translate as some think.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

That actually is something Aloy has the advantage of over Kratos in regards to all this:

Yes, she is a skin in Fortnite, but she's also her own character in Genshin Impact, which:
  • Is coming to the Switch (but still has no release date as of right now)
  • Has cross-progression, so that means you can log onto the game and play as Aloy on any platform, including the Switch.
I believe these are factors that should also help Aloy get the edge over Kratos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Horizon does seem to be a crossover and premonitional fave for Sony. They've recently started doing lego sets, with Uncharted sets roumoed, but what was the first set they released and announced?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Eilie I can kind of see why you wouldn't include, though I'd be open to the challenge. But Kratos and Hunter come from fantasy universes and it's pretty easy to imagine possible movesets for them.
I'm not arguing that you can't build movesets for them, I'm arguing they don't fit Smash's aesthetic well.

That actually is something Aloy has the advantage of over Kratos in regards to all this:

Yes, she is a skin in Fortnite, but she's also her own character in Genshin Impact, which:
  • Is coming to the Switch (but still has no release date as of right now)
  • Has cross-progression, so that means you can log onto the game and play as Aloy on the Switch.
I believe these are factors that should also help Aloy get the edge over Kratos.
I can't argue with that, though personally I find Aloy to be more boring than Cheerios without sugar.

The three characters (of this set) that have the most personality and would mesh well with Smash's aesthetic are Ratchet (& Clank), Sackboy, and Kat. Kat's a superhero (sort of?) and we don't really have a character that can truly fly or manipulate gravity, Ratchet's "gadgets pulled out of nowhere" and his long and prestigious history give him the most moveset potential of any of these fighters, except for maybe Sackboy, who can create just about anything; the concept of creation in and of itself brings about the most interesting potential of all of these characters to me (he's also cute as a button, tell me you wouldn't want to see him interact with Kirby and Yoshi), and yes, that's including the non-Sony owned ones, which I'd still prefer, but if we have to include a first-party Sony rep, those three would be my preferred choices.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Why are we pretending Smash has a "set aesthetic"

if this was like a game ago people would be saying Joker didn't fit.
We've definitely been desensitized to the tonal differences in this game lol, like take a moment to really think about how these are in the same game:
See the source image
See the source image

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
To be fair, Aloy or Ellie would stick out like a sore thumb compared to the more over-glamourous and somewhat sexxed up female cast of Smash... but that's a problem to be fixed, not a rule to be followed.
How are the females overly sexxed up in Smash, I don't follow

Isn't this the game where people where whining that Snake's butt and Samus's breasts were "nerfed"

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Aloy is in Genshin Impact with these characters

I don't think they see that as an issue lol.

MMMMMM HUMMINA HUMMINA HUMMINA OOO AWOOOOGA AWOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOT HOOT HOOT HONK HOOOONNNKKK eyes comically pop out of socket tongue rolls out of mouth onto floor steam erupts from ears

AHEM

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We have totaled the votes up for the SONY PLAYSTATION REP AND THE VERY FIRST EVER IN THE HISTORY OF SMASH! THIS IS A MOMENTOS OCCASSION FOR ALL!!!!

Name3 Points2 Points1 PointTotal
Ratchet and Clank3 (9)5 (10)120
RaRappa the Rapper1 (3)025
Aloy1 (3)1 (2)38
Kat04 (8)08
Kratos6 (18)1 (2)121
Nathan Drake1 (3)4 (8)213
Makoto Naegi1 (3)014
The Hunter0000
Jin Sakai0000
Wander0011
Dante1 (3)3 (6)09
Sackboy3 (9)1 (2)415
Lara Croft2 (6)039
Sweet Tooth0022
Spyro2 (6)006
Ellie0000
2B100 (300)100 (200)100600

Click below to see who is the winner...

As dictated in our super secret Discord chataroo...

2B Enters the Battlefield!!! With 600 whopping points!!!

...in Super Smash Bros. Infinite from another Dimension

The true winner is...

Kratos

However, considering the differences in votes with Kratos scoring the most 3 point votes and Ratchet scoring the most 2 point votes as well as a one point difference between the two, we felt that the results wasn't a decisive enough win for the man in ashen paint so we will be going with...

Run Off Poll between Kratos and Ratchet and Clank

There will be an eventual poll at the top of the thread in the next few hours to decide who will be the winner....will it Kratos? or Ratchet and Clank?

1647810872778.png

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
We've definitely been desensitized to the tonal differences in this game lol, like take a moment to really think about how these are in the same game:
See the source image
See the source image
And even more fun is the fact the character on the left is able to absolutely beat the **** out of the one on the right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom