• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

XD1337

Smash Apprentice
sry. i didnt really change any of the stock account settings. will try to reserve that room. what time do you want it for? 2-...?

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
sry. i didnt really change any of the stock account settings. will try to reserve that room. what time do you want it for? 2-...?

yeah 2-8 should be fine, but see if you can get it for longer. if not then we can just move back to my place or somones. we can figure it out. Let me know what happens

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
There needs to be some smash later, because I am REALLY gettin' tired of playing just Andrew.
I need someone who can't read 90% of what I'm doing, even when it's completely stupid.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
im down for a tourney tomorrow, especially because i wont be able to make the next 2

Gauthic Von B Schönen

Smash Journeyman
There needs to be some smash later, because I am REALLY gettin' tired of playing just Andrew.
I need someone who can't read 90% of what I'm doing, even when it's completely stupid.
Dude, we should totally play Smash and BB later tonight. And I would enjoy a tournament this weekend. I got money finally.

Edit: People'll have to call me if they want to play though. Because I'm going to be at an SF4/BB gathering.

Fro, you should start coming to these.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
You had me until the word "level". From there on, you Goosed all over it.
Oh psh, I didn't goose over anything...except your ma!

Also, you would enjoy playing Bowser in the new Mario and Luigi. He levels up FAST!
Usually the guys that level up quickly are only good in the shortrun.:ohwell:

because I am REALLY gettin' tired of playing just Andrew.
I find that extremely hard to believe.

Also, I think everyone should come up to Valpo for the tourney.

*EDIT*

God dang it, Brain.

**EDIT**

Whoa! When did I become a "Smash Ace"!? I didn't even know that was a title. I guess I'm just that good.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
SMASHFEST AND/OR TOURNAMENT IN TARK TV ROOM TOMORROW

just show up at 2 pm and we can play. if enough people wanna do a tournament we can for like a $1 or something...we are gonna need setups tho. People who live in tark or wiley do you have setups?

People who have cars, can you help bring setups to tark tomorrow?

Everyone say thank you to Andre for getting us the room!

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
All of our gamecubes are LOL (Andrew's randomly doesn't work, and there's no 4th player on mine), but I'll see if I can't bring one out anyway.

Also: Thank you Andre and WTF ANTHONY

Dude, we should totally play Smash and BB later tonight.
I'll call and torment you later ... if I can find my phone.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Heh, Anthony, what's weird is that I was just thinking today about how funny it would be if you posted that pic on the boards for some reason or other. No joke.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Oh psh, I didn't goose over anything...except your ma!

Usually the guys that level up quickly are only good in the shortrun.:ohwell:

As for Goosing over my ma.......never mind, Anthony covered it well enough.

Heh, you'd be surprised by Bowser. He's the strongest combatant of the three you get. The Mario Bros. are solid as per usual, but Bowser's abilities make him a great fighter. What compensates for that is that Bowser fights tougher enemies, and that he can't jump over attacks. Still, he's awesome. I can't remember clear examples of what you're talking about, though. Guess we play a different brand of RPGs. Maybe if you jog my memory a bit.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Heh, you'd be surprised by Bowser. He's the strongest combatant of the three you get. The Mario Bros. are solid as per usual, but Bowser's abilities make him a great fighter. What compensates for that is that Bowser fights tougher enemies, and that he can't jump over attacks. Still, he's awesome. I can't remember clear examples of what you're talking about, though. Guess we play a different brand of RPGs. Maybe if you jog my memory a bit.
Well, I should have said is that there are many games where the characters totally suck in the beginning to where no one would want to use them, but they end up being the best down the road, making those characters that were awesome in the beginning to become obsolete. That is more of what I meant.

I remember FF Tactics being like that. The characters you pick up during the storyline are great at first (I don't remember if the level they start on when they join is contingent on yours), opposed to the ones you merely "hire" are the beginning of the game, but their level ups suck (except for Cloud, :p). I remember the first Shinning Force to be like that too. FFX had Auron who at the end of the game was tied with Lulu and Khimari for being the worst character.

Following with characters sucking at first but becoming awesome at the end, there was this weird character in Chrono Cross (he was like a floating stuffed animal or something, lol) who was just terribad until he evolved into his last form. Plus, with the Dragon Quest games, there are job trees that start off with the worst classes, but if you level them up to their completion, you are rewarded with like the best job in the game. Oh, and Tim from Wild Arms 2. I thought he sucked balls until the end when he got all of his summons.

Those were a few of the big ones that I was thinking of when I said that.

**EDIT**

Who's picking me up for this smashfest?

PurdueSmash

Smash Apprentice
Purdue Power Rankings (PPR)

Hello, all. Anthony and I have come up with a rankings system for the Purdue Smash community. These rankings will be used at every [non-regional] SSBO tournament to do seeding for pools. (And so we can have a competitive ranking system)

Here's how you can improve your rank:

(we will iron out the details later, but here is the basic idea)
You can ONLY challenge the person RIGHT above you. In order to increase your rank, you must have a reliable witness for the said challenge, and it will be played best 4/7, SSBO tournament rules.

Here are your initial rankings:

1. Kirkq
2. Goosefactor
3. Iggy
4. NJzFinest
5. Fro
6. DracoFox
7. kSo
8. Voorhese
9. iamthemicrowave
10. A.C._Burito
11. Mr. H
12. Hippy
13. BunBun
14. Anubis
15. Sir K.
16. Dex
17. DeeZ NutZ
18. Rexolis
19. ATP

This will be updated as often as possible, so if you don't like where you are, start challenging people.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
EVERYONE PLEASE BRING SETUPS

We don't have two of our normals with cars(craig and matt) so people with cars have to help us get setups to the venue!! I am thinking of jay hartford and bunbun! The only other people I know with cars are CNN and DJ but I doubt they are coming.

kirkq

Smash Ace
CONS:

Top 6 aren't going to move any time soon. (Perhaps with the exception of Iggy and Goose.) Once one of the top 6 becomes better than another it will be quite evident by tournament results. Also, how am I going to shark people if my name is at the top of the list.

7,8,9 are just going to john about being better than each other nonstop.

10 and down is going to change positions every 5 minutes.

Eh whatever, it's not a bad idea as long as people aren't getting butthurt, but I don't think that is actually a possibility in this thread.

PROS:

It does actually become beneficial to have a skill ranking for everyone to put into tio, so that we don't have to subjectively determine it every tournament. This will be more objective and less subjective for better balancing of pools.

Mr H

Smash Ace
i think its a good idea to have this
but why am i on the list? im only at purdue once a month
it would be unfair for everyone below me also im not really interested in this thing so u can just take me off to save everyone the trouble

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Hey I'm a freshman living in Cary, and i wanted to get back into smash, as before i moved here I was constantly playing with friends and going to some tournaments. Just hit me up with a pm on here im always ready to play some games. Keep in mind as a frosh i dont have a car.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Hello, all. Anthony and I have come up with a rankings system for the Purdue Smash community. These rankings will be used at every [non-regional] SSBO tournament to do seeding for pools. (And so we can have a competitive ranking system)

Here's how you can improve your rank:

(we will iron out the details later, but here is the basic idea)
You can ONLY challenge the person RIGHT above you. In order to increase your rank, you must have a reliable witness for the said challenge, and it will be played best 4/7, SSBO tournament rules.

Here are your initial rankings:

1. Kirkq
2. Goosefactor
3. Iggy
4. NJzFinest
5. Fro
6. DracoFox
7. kSo
8. Voorhese
9. iamthemicrowave
10. A.C._Burito
11. Mr. H
12. Hippy
13. BunBun
14. Anubis
15. Sir K.
16. Dex
17. DeeZ NutZ
18. Rexolis
19. ATP

This will be updated as often as possible, so if you don't like where you are, start challenging people.
Very nice. Though it'll be hard for those below me to challenge me.<(⌐-⌐ )

'Fro

Smash Lord
Hey I'm a freshman living in Cary, and i wanted to get back into smash, as before i moved here I was constantly playing with friends and going to some tournaments. Just hit me up with a pm on here im always ready to play some games. Keep in mind as a frosh i dont have a car.
Dude, there are people playing in Tarkington right now! I'll be there at some point, so head on over!

soap

Smash Hero
13th?

step it up bunbun

i guess anthony is like purdue god tier

he should put himself on the list and let people duel him

lol its like yu gi oh

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
lol @ me for being so bad I'm not even on the list. :D Yes, I do still smash, but I'm just finishing up the tennis season. I haven't been able to play during the season because when I'm not doing tennis, it's homework or sleeping. Also, oct 10 is bad for me, I'm working the feast of the hunters moon all day. Maybe next one. (I haven't played smash since school started... well with the dew crew.... I play my little brother sometimes)

All of you have a great week and God bless.

voorhese

Smash Master
i like the ranking thing, but the only problem is you know how hard it is for me to go often, so i wont move around to much, because if people can only play people right above them, then i will alsways stay #8 unless i win or lose right?

edit: what is the initial list based on? tourney ranking/ pool rankings?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Since when has "player A is better than player B" been based soley on those players being able to beat eachother? MattR beats Darkrain and in this case that would make MattR better than Darkrain, but nobody pretends that is true.

This phenomenon is worsened whenever certain players play eachother daily. Player 11 may never beat 10 because 10 knows 11 so well, but 11 could be able to beat everyone else on the list...Unfortunately that wouldnt matter, he would be 11 forever.

Also, some players just might not show up some weeks, leaving players with nobody to challenge. Also, why would anyone ever accept a challenge anyway? Nobody wants to lose their place. Using tournament and match results, then doing a 1v1 if a tie is decided on would be much better.

An unbiased committee given all tournament results and all match results within the tournaments will be able to make a better decision.

BunBun

Smash Master
True stories:
jay challenged me and won
Skylar challenged me and won
dex challenged me and won

so now i'm 16th

Walter and dj never show up, so Andre wants to challenge me. I'm letting him.

I have a ton of witnesses, and vids.

Soap: sorry, I guess I'm bad. I don't know how the list was made though

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Since when has "player A is better than player B" been based soley on those players being able to beat eachother? MattR beats Darkrain and in this case that would make MattR better than Darkrain, but nobody pretends that is true.

This phenomenon is worsened whenever certain players play eachother daily. Player 11 may never beat 10 because 10 knows 11 so well, but 11 could be able to beat everyone else on the list...Unfortunately that wouldnt matter, he would be 11 forever.

Also, some players just might not show up some weeks, leaving players with nobody to challenge. Also, why would anyone ever accept a challenge anyway? Nobody wants to lose their place. Using tournament and match results, then doing a 1v1 if a tie is decided on would be much better.

An unbiased committee given all tournament results and all match results within the tournaments will be able to make a better decision.
PEEF, this list is not meant to be used to make sweeping generalizations such as your supposed examples; rather, it is only a community-centered structure for use within our crew-dominated tournaments in order to reduce subjectivity in determining pool assignments and to encourage a spirit of competitiveness and constant improvement. If anyone insists on drawing conclusions of that sort from this list, I really cannot imagine how that constitutes a pressing need on the part of the participants to remedy that thought process.

As well, the structure of the list and the challenging process is intentionally designed so that players hit those personal roadblocks (such as specific players or specific match-ups). To put it quite simply, when you come upon such situations, you do not cry about them and wish that things were different; rather, you take a proactive stance of self-improvement and practice until you can overcome that obstacle. This is the essence of these power rankings and the very attitude which I am trying to instill in my community.

To answer a frequent question in the past few posts, if you contact the player above you for a challenge and he makes it clear that he will not be present for quite some time, you simply challenge the person ahead of that player (also letting them know of the situation).

Regarding your challenge-dodging issue, all Dew Crew members must accept all intra-crew challenges. I trust that such challenge-dodging will not be an issue; we all know each other and we are all friends, and as such the entire community will be held to a high degree of personal integrity and honesty. Once again, I trust that this will not be an issue whatsoever.

Also, Andrew, PM your results to me so that I have an ongoing record all in one place.

soap

Smash Hero
challenge dodging is a ***** move

but how often can u challenge someone?

it should be no more than once a day lol, unless they agree to it

or once a week actually

i should do this in columbus, **** looks fun

4/7 though? what is this europe? u guys have 4/7 tourney sets?

then u shouldn't have 4/7 ranking sets, 3/5 is plenty long

Top Bottom